Book Chart Thread

Made a thread a few months ago, but I've made more charts since so I'll proceed to dump it all here for people to save. Will also post other people's charts I've seen like pic related

the origins of nazism and nazi germany pt 1

origins part 2

visigothic spain

roman republic
also refer to

ancient near east

ancient israel

late antique gaul and early merovingian france

etruscans

canaanites, philistines and samaritans

carthage

phoenicians

seleucids

ptolemaic egypt pt1

ptolemaic egypt pt 2

ancient macedon, covering through the hellenistic age

macedon pt 2 with emphasis on archaeology

hellenistic age part 1

hellenistic age part 2

charts to complete the series: hellenistic greece, hellenistic judaism, alexander the great

war of the roses

genoa

medieval peasantry

brittany

early medieval scotland (found more works so might renovate soon)

viking age ireland

early medieval ireland

late medieval ireland

medieval poland

polish soviet war 1920

medieval and early modern hungary part 1

hungary part 2

balkans c. 1850-1940

albanians

portugal to the age of exploration

early modern portugal

primary sources (in english) on portugal and portuguese empire

portuguese empire, with focus on asia

planned charts on portuguese africa, colonial and modern brazil and portuguese atlantic

hanseatic league

sami/lapps

finland in the interwar period+ winterwar

berbers

saudi arabia

mormons

italian fascism

modern african wars

Lenin

maori

pacific islanders

modern china with emphasis on warlord period

bump

>this thread

bump

shackelton was a beast...like...here it is 2017 and you could still easily die....but fucking 1900..out there with sleds and tents and thats it..how the fuck did any of these guys even live? its crazy to think about

You're a champ op, this is why I love Veeky Forums yeah you get a lot of shit posting but every now and then you get a solid gold thread.

Bump

Thanks Veeky Forums.

any other chart suggestions btw? or ones you want me to prioritize

So far i've got requests on french revolution, wwii, cold war, british empire, byzantines, ancient greece, dutch republic and empire, anglo-saxons, vikings, medieval russia, mongols, iron age celts, attila/huns, caucasus, american civil war, introductions to major religions (e.g. christianity, buddhism, hinduism, islam and its various sects, judaism, zoroastrianism), vietnam, british east india company, holy roman empire, hindu indonesia, ummayads/abbasids/ early islam, modern iran, minoans+mycenaeans

In regards to Classical Greece, Rome, and China, anyone who directs you to a secondary source is your enemy.

Primary sources represent the one true fount of knowledge. Do not subordinate yourself to the musings of a degenerate modern author.

Oh you posted my shit. How nice. I still don't like the final effect but I don't know how to resize the pic without the blur. Maybe I'll make another one some day.

>degenerate modern author.
kek, as though a lot of those writers weren't degenerates themselves. how else would to describe suetonius' shitptalking emperors he didn't like because they threatened his senatorial interests?

I feel flattered that people are sharing my charts.

Also, to clarify: is the finished version of , and is the finished version of . Pic related is a compilation from a recent antiquity-themed lit recommendation thread.

night bump

>brotherhood of kangz
sounds like apustaja and frens

Tell me about SPQR by Mary Beard.
I picked up a copy randomly, but shied away when the author started in on gender identity within the first few pages.

Is it written through an ideological lens, or is it more unbiased and accurate?

I liked it a lot. As far as "gender identity" goes, she spends a section talking about the lives of Roman women, and that's as far as it goes. It wasn't gratuitous in my opinion, and I found it interesting enough.

My biggest word of caution about SPQR, is that it is very much about the society itself, and the ordinary lives of people in it, how the society was organized etc. If you're hoping to read about warfare, then avoid this book like the fucking plague. Because no war is discussed in detail, and when they are, it is always from a "societal" perspective. For example, she talks about the Punic wars only a way to demonstrate how wealthy the Roman State had become. The wars against Carthage were so expensive that they would have bankrupted any other government in classical world, several times over.

For me, it was the first serious book on the classical world I've ever read, and in my mind it was an outstanding introduction. Now I feel like I can go back and read the biographies of people like Caesar and Cato with a solid grounding in the "basics" of Roman society. The book I'm reading now, is actually "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" which is written in a very similar way, although unfortunately we'll never achieve the level of detail with Carthage as we have with Rome.

That does sound interesting actually. I'll give it another shot.

bump

Does Veeky Forums have anything equivalent to the Veeky Forums starter pack?

thats a Veeky Forums starter pack kek

these are the best we have I think, in terms of the scope of works they cover and the introductory works to ancient history (ancient history being the foundation of modern day thought and whose collapse made the world as we know it today)

new chart on mycenaean greece that has been requested for a while. hard to find works on it though

before anyone saves this i found a few more works on the subject so a revised chart coming soon

A linguistics one would be great, I need a break from all the programming literature I've been reading on the train rides to work

I made this for WW1.

great work, user. do you plan on making others?

1. I don't like book lists that don't have any common theme or reason to them, and are just a random splotching of books.

2. I don't like ones that include multiple books on basically the exact same topic. I'd rather have 1 or 2 that are like overviews and then a few others with a narrower focus.

3. I think it is fundamentally silly to expect that anybody is actually going to read 20 books because a macro-image told them to. I think that 5 - 8 books is the realistic range where the image might actually be useful to somebody.

4. The books should have a common theme without being so similar that they reach a point of redundancy. They should focus on different people, different concepts, or different perspectives.

5. Chart should contain at least some sort of description of the different books because sometimes a book's title does not make it apparent what it is actually about.

Anyway, that's just my opinion for the book-chart community. I also made one for the Cold War.

That is a fantastic book, user! Good choice.

I find it pairs well with "A Mouthful of Air" by Anthony Burgess.

Why that Nixon biography over others? Have you read it?

Also thanks so much man, I'd be really interested in WW2, Tsarist Russia and American Western Expansion charts as well but obviously take your time and do whatever you want to do

we need a civil war chart.