/languagelearning/

Does Veeky Forums do recreational language learning?
What's the most Veeky Forums language to learn?

Latin

Currently learning Chinese and French to a lesser extent. Kids, study languages in college because you will regret it in the real world.

I'm trying to learn Basque, last name is Basque but besides that, there isn't a single thing about me thats Basque

Is German a good language for Veeky Forums related things? It seems like it would be useful for continental philosophy.

I've been thinking about picking up Dutch.
I read somewhere that it's the easiest language to learn for native English speakers. I may not be a native English speaker, but i'm pretty good at it (if i do say so myself).
I also have an old Dutch wow buddy who i could practice with.
Got any resources, my fellow Veeky Forumstorians?

I think the Scandinavian languages are easier to learn than Dutch. Dutch has some really inconsistent grammar rules.

Dutch is on Duolingo btw. I'm Dutch so if you have any specific questions just ask.

I think that, as a law student in the EU, Dutch could be at least somewhat useful.
What's tricky about the grammar in your opinion? And how's Duolingo, is it just vocabulary or does it get into grammar as well?

The Netherlands has the highest percentage of English speakers in the EU (excluding the UK and Ireland of course), so it wouldn't be that more useful.

There are many things in the grammar that are tricky, like weird word order changes, many strong verbs, removing double vowels when making nouns plural (while the stem is pronounced the same), etc.

I've only done the Swedish and Norwegian Duolingo courses. They do go into the grammar there as well, but not as deeply as I liked. I assume it's the same for the Dutch course, but I'm not sure. In any case, it's a very useful resource when you're starting to learn a language, but you might have to supplement with other resources.

>I read somewhere that it's the easiest language to learn for native English speakers
That's Frisian

I believe that there's always an advantage in knowing someone's native language. Sweden and Norway also have very high percentages of fluent English speakers (for the sake of comparison).
As long as it makes grammar easily understandable it's fine with me, it doesn't have to get super into it.
What would you recommend as a supplementary resource?

I've been learning Japanese, Mainly because of the difficulty.

Anyone know of a good resource for learning Ancient Greek phonology? I already know some Modern Greek, so it's not a huge leap, but there's still some details I'm stumbling over

German is fun, has great literature, etc but trying to learn by talking to natives is infuriating as they switch to near perfect English the second they detect the slightest accent.

youre not basque your ameri

>lying on the internet
theres nothing to be ashamed of, user!

True, true. And learning a language can also just be a fun hobby.
I have no idea what a good supplementary resource would be for learning Dutch. I already speak Dutch after all.

Latin is the most his language and it's a language I want to teach my children.

I'm learning Spanish but I'm half Basque and want to learn Basque

I was trying to learn Hungarian but it is really hard as a native Spanish speaker. Also wanted to translate writers like Imre Kertész even though they have been partially translated.

>native spanish speaker
>hungarian

Negro por qué. First learn the easy ones for moor speakers, italian, portuguese and french. Maybe romanian.

Ĉu iu el vi parolas Esperanton?

Pragmáticamente tienes razón, pues la verdad es que mi motivación venia más de sentir sienta afinidad por la cultura húngara, además de ser un idioma poco aprendido. Pero bueno, creo sería más útil si aprendiera francés que igual tiene demanda.

Currently doing Greek and Swedish in duolingo, nothing serious, just for the fun. Swedish is much easier but Greek is so fun, especially when you learn a word that you already know from your language and you can guess the meaning of it.

Same guy in the tat thread, right?

I tried learning both French and German and I have to say that French is fucking garbage. Stay away from France and any Francophone country/region because it's awful. German on the other hand was delightful.

Im not but I still want to learn the language

Nope, that's a meme language

Wait we all understand English is first. We have the most broad vocabulary, our grammar isn't too difficult comparably. We conjugate in the present tense very sensibly and we don't have really more than one major mood. We are also the most ubiquitous language in the world. Our ability to make slang has been shown to be very capable, specifically with Shakespeare and Rap. It's not particularly fun to speak, that is an issue. I love speaking French but it's a terrible literary language.

Japanese and Hebrew.

>DES
>PA
>CITO
Quiero respirar tu cuello despacito
Deja que te diga cosas al oido
Para que te acuerdes si no estas conmigo

Bu..but Japs are ugly, and their culture is austistic

Menos mal que esa canción de mierda pasó de moda.

¡Despacito reinará eterno, cerdo!

I periodically look into etymologies of words and also into Greek,Hebrew, and Syriac meanings because it's relevant to biblical study. I'd also be interested in lexicons or dictionaries for Indic languages like Pali and Sanskrit, perhaps an equivalent to the Liddell-Scott-Jones Lexicon.

lol

Been thinking about sanskrit. Anyone know any good resources?

not as retarded as creole

yeah.. who tf wants to learn swahili?