Is war necessary?

Is war necessary?

Is war ever necessary? If so, under what circumstances?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Before the mods have a conniption, this is definitely a topic that falls under the humanities and possibly history.

To unite the people.

Gathering resources and land for your nation.

That's a little vague don't you think?

And haven't agents been able to unite people in the past without war?

This is understandable, but what about peaceful tit for tat trade? Nonzero sum games?

If the US invaded and conquered Mexico, then nationalized its resources and enslaved its people, I think we'd get more out of it than from just trade.

To provide more psionic energy so that the Anglo may do a paradigm shift in the vector axioms of the 32nd dimension and exalt beyond the constraints of the 1024 dimensions of reality and reach the absolute state of sublime truth.

'A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.'

That's highly debatable. What if Mexico was reduced to ruin in the process, depopulated, and its industries and lands destroyed? War removes a tremendous amount of capital from existence.

They're a pretty rich country for natural resources, and they have a good amount of oil.

War is an expression of our innate aggressive biological instincts. War is necessary because we deem it to be so

Bombs these days are capable of destroying entire mountain ranges, and often use uranium or other toxic byproducts that degrade the environment.

Do we dream it to be so, or does primal biology make it so?

I've been reading a lot about mesopotamian history lately. Pretty much as soon as people had "civilization" (government, division of labour etc) they started going to war over the farmland between their city states arguing over who should get the food, just like back when there were only tribes and bands of hunter gatherers.
Now in the 21st century we have America invading countries for their oil.

War is human nature and the natural result of competing groups Vs. finite resources.
We will always have war until we come together as a species and put all that effort into exploring space and exploiting the wider opportunities of the universe, sadly its more likely we will die out like bactaria in a petrie dish when the agar runs out.

I think you'll find that's an exaggeration, and that depleted uranium is used in a select few heavy armor piercing rounds rather than any hugely widespread use.

We could take over Mexico without destroying its natural resources to the point of uselessness.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory

Justification is literally a social construct based on our values which are social constructs. Primal biology provides all the ingredients necessary for war, it's our dreams/values/justifications that provide the spark/catalyst/ that unite the people in preparation for organized violence.

We could, but only by causing tremendous destruction in the process and alienating our allies and ensuring a new brand of terrorism-resistance emerges.

If this were the 1800s I would see your point, but the complexities of the economy and the interconnectedness of the world today makes war much less of a smash and grab than it used to be.

I sincerely believe that the United States is in a unique position where it could pull off annexing Canada and Mexico, then being totally self sufficient, of course massive changes in how the economy is structured would be necessary.

The US could administer Mexico, turning it into the 51st state and it would be primarily focused on industrial output. Mexicanos living in the US could just go back to work. It'd be lovely.

Canada I could see happening by nonviolent but aggressive economic means. A Canada/America union would probably benefit both countries as well.

Bad blood exists between Mexico and US however going back to the Mexican-American war. But having Mexico would be more trouble than its worth. It's a largely poor country where 38 million people live on less than $5 a day.

Maybe I'm being vague, I wouldn't want to add the Mexican population to ours, but to subjugate them or just destroy their nation's ability to function and plunder their natural resources.

sounds like colonialism

I mean pretty much yeah. There's another state on Earth that gets away with colonialism in the modern day, I think we could pull it off.

Btw this is not something that I think is going to happen, nor am I going to elect politicians to make this true. This is just a thought exercise.

Which is why today, war is waged by subversion, infiltration, and societal-level influencing of populations.

>invading countries for their oil
Good meme, I like this
Can I repost it on m facebook page?

be sure to type "like and share if you agree"