Was there any way for the Confederacy to survive as a nation past 1865 that isn’t dependent on the Union fucking up

Was there any way for the Confederacy to survive as a nation past 1865 that isn’t dependent on the Union fucking up.

Even assuming Lincoln finds his winning general in Grant, could the Confederacy survive longer than it did?

Other urls found in this thread:

voltairenet.org/article169488.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It would need British and French military intervention to succeed, but if the Brits and the French intervened, Russia and Prussia which were American friends at the time would skullfuck them.
So no, there was no way.

They were banking on international support due to European reliance on their trade.

That all basically fell to pieces in 1861, with both the Trent Affair - which could have turned the tables - resulting in nothing, and the English and the French telling Sidell and Mason to fuck off.

After that it was basically a question of "when", not "if" it was all over.

>Russia and Prussia which were American friends at the time would skullfuck them.

Never. First, the Russians and Prussians would never offer boots-on-the-ground support

Second, Lincoln would NEVER allow foreign troops on American soil, even in support of the Union.

Not him, but I think user meant the Russians and Prussians would make their view clear in Europe proper, not America.

>on American soil
Not on American soil, but ass raping France in Europe.

If france or the UK decide to intervine how would lincoln stop them?

I honestly doubt any European would be willing to start Proto-World War 1 for an American issue

The same way he stopped the southerns, he’d kill them.

I'd say he couldn't, the US was a midget on the international stage at that point - however they did not, hell, Brits would not even formally speak with the CSA delegation.

>I honestly doubt any European would be willing to start Proto-World War 1 for an American issue
Weird that you mention it because the 7 years war was exactly what you describe.

voltairenet.org/article169488.html

That was back when Britain and France had direct colonial issue in America, something missing in the 1860s

That would have just made the Franco-Prussian war 10 years early - however I sincerely doubt Prussia or Russia would have acted, as both were well and truly busy with internal affairs between 1860 and 1870.

See

Fascinating, thank you for pointing that out.

>Don't charge like an idiot at Gettysburg

I'm still confused why people idolize Lee as some sort of military genius when he has Pickett's Charge on his record.

The prime minister that put the UK into a war to preserve slavery will lose his job so fast that the troops won't even get on the ships before he's replaced and the next prime minister says "just kidding about the fighting for slavery thing".

Victoria herself was an abolitionist.

>I'm still confused why people idolize Lee as some sort of military genius
He won some pretty incredible military feats, user. Both in the Civil War and the Mexican-American War, he was respected by Union generals for putting up a great deal of resistance with minimal resources. The CSA didn't lose for lack of military skill, that's for sure.
>b-but he didn't win!
Neither did Napoleon.

>Both in the Civil War and the Mexican-American War

In both wars, if he was seen as more intelligent than his peers, it was because he was fighting against idiots. Notice the difference in Lee's "effectiveness" before and after Grant takes over Union command.

Was he not considered for Union senior commander before he declared for his home state of Virginia?

If nothing less, that is recognition of his capabilities even before the Thing got under way.

Imagine the Brits coming in on the Confederate side. All those Irish in the north who had been rioting against the draft? Happier than a pig in shit to kill Brits.

Foreign intervention would be suicide for the side that used it, as in Viet Nam.

>Foreign intervention would be suicide for the side that used it, as in Viet Nam.
seemed to work out for the ussr/china.

They didn't send troops to terrorize the locals.

With what he had to work with, he held Grant off surprisingly long.

While I do think Grant was the better general overall, definitely strategically at the least, Lee was a better at winning battles then Grant was, not by much though. You could even argue they were about equal. The butcher Grant meme is the fucking worst for instance. But you cannot really say that Lee only won because he was fighting bad opponents. You could say that about ANY general if you have some sort of grudge against them "Hannibal was only seen as a good general because he was fighting stupid people, once he fight a smart general like Scipio he lost!" Lee also gave Grant a good run for his money despite being so outnumbered, but every time a battle ground into a stalemate with the Confederates either digging in or being unable to counter attack Grant would simply march around Lees flank, Lee would redeploy and redeploy until he made one slip up.

On a similar note, it is pretty horrible how two of the wars best Generals, Grant and Longstreet, now have their reputations ruined and normies parrot people like Jackson and Sherman instead.

t. Empire Total War player

are you serious?
Lee proved Grants strategy wrong time and time again with some pretty stunning victories up until the fall of Petersburg. Grant defeated Lee because Lee just ran out of time and resources. A trained monkey could do what Grant did, but a monkey could probably have done it without sacrificing so many soldiers in strategically useless battles.

can we stop with the Grant pity, I don't know where this image has come from that poor ole grant doesn't get his due. I see every "historian" on c-span and in the MSM repeating this same sob story, yet I haven't seen a single historian come out in defense of Lee who is supposedly on a pedestal.

Grant has dozens of giant equestrian statues around the nation including in front of the fucking US Capitol. He has a massive tomb in central park and is on the $50 bill. He definitely has not been mistreated by history as much as unionboos want to make it seem. Also the butcher meme came from Mrs. Lincoln.

As if Russia or Prussia could provide any military support in North America. Britain would've still been free to send every ship and man in the Empire to support the south.

Lol, what a cunt

Britain could have broken the blockade and sent arms, but they had a whole empire to look after. The Confederacy was still about a third the size of the north in population and economy. Allies would have to send troops, and that would have consolidated northern resolve.

So's Liz 2 but they still armed ""moderate"" Syrian rebels that were into all sorts of atrocities

They were capable of maintaining order in their colonial possessions, and British military support would outweigh whatever boost to US resolve that were drafting most of their men anyway.