Latin America in the 1800s

Can somebody give me a quick rundown of the development of South America in the 1800s? I should admittedly know more about this, but all i know is that Simon Bolivar launched a vague revolution, Brazil ended slavery in the 1880s, and by 1900 Argentina was basically the US of South America economically speaking.

Other urls found in this thread:

revolutionspodcast.com/2016/06/index.html
infobae.com/2004/07/06/123813-despues-191-anos-abren-una-escuela-donada-belgrano/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You should listen to the Simon Bolivar chapter of the Revolutions podcast, it serves as a great intro into Latin American politics and independence.

revolutionspodcast.com/2016/06/index.html

I suggest that you split off South America into two regions: Hispanic America and Brazil. The former Portuguese colony had quite a distinct trajectory from the other half of the continent.

Brazil became effectively independent when the Portuguese prince-regent D. João VI (or John) landed in Salvador with the royal court (c. 15000 individuals) as part of Portugal's strategy against the invading First French Empire (it was thought that the small kingdom could not withstand against Napoleon).

Brazil was then a massive colony of four million inhabitants. D. João VI transformed the colony into the acting metropole of the colonial empire, and Rio, its capital. He enacted huge reforms, creating the first official press, the first central bank, scientific and military schools, the national archives and the opening of the Brazilian harbors to friendly nations, previously subject to an exclusive trade with Portugal.

The prince-regent (then king, after his insane mother died in 1816) himself was quite a goofy guy. He was afraid of crabs and thunderbolts. He liked to eat chicken hidden in his dirty pockets and supposedly had an affair with his steward, who would play with the king's "little John". But he was also a well-intentioned monarch who would hear the complaints of every person regardless of social class (even amerindians). He envisioned a massive Portuguese-Brazilian Empire. A global state never seen before in history. His dreams however would not become a reality.

After 12 years in Brazil, a revolution breaks out in Portugal, the Porto Revolution. It was a liberal movement that aspired the end of the absolute monarchy and the return of the king to Lisbon. Powerless to resist, D. João was forced to return in 1821, but before doing so he warned his son, Pedro (or Peter): "If Brazil is to become independent, you should be the one to make it rather than any of these adventurers". A year later, D. Pedro I proclaimed the Empire of Brazil...

You need to break it down into 3 places
>Gran Colombia- Simon Bolivar
>Brazil- Napoleon expelling the royal family to their colony.
>Chile/Argentina- I don't have time to tell you
You can watch Broken Mirror

I like to count Gran Colombia and Argentina as the same revolution because the efforts were coordinated and planned in unison.

>Argentina was basically the US of South America economically speaking.
What could have been

interesting. Thanks for that.

South america constantly had good times and strong men, truly a miracle.

you know nothing

Venezuela, after seceding from Colombia in 1830, became a warlord era tier shithole of constant conflict. There were like 12 warlords or "caudillos" ruling small territories with a president that had no power at all. There were "liberals" fighting "liberals" all the time, but in reality were just greedy fuckers killing eachother for shekels. It all came to an end with a brutal dictator that fucked all up woth roads and oil money in the 1900s.

Seconding this

It is simple. Britain wanted to balkanize the Spanish empire because it saw it as a thread to their political interests. So through masonic lodges in Latin America and Spain they trained a bunch of spies that would destroy the Spanish empire. The first one was Miranda that lived in London a shit tone of time. Then when Bolivar went to London as an ambassador of New Granada he lived with Miranda in a house paid by Britain and they organized a Latin American masonic lodge there were every single independentist lider would be in except the Mexican ones because Mexico never wanted to split from Spain in the first place (this will come up later).
So while Spain was fighting Napoleon and the French army the Brits released their dogs in America to cause havoc to the point that in the congreso the Mayo they were proposing to make the viceroyalty of de Rio de la plata part of the Brittish or French empire. Later when they took arms they got stomped pretty hard to the point some fled to Haiti.
Now a new player comes in. Riego. A member of King Ferdinand's royal guard that was living in France(the king of Spain was a prisioner of Napoleon). In France he became "enlighted" so when he came back to Spain he joined a masonic lodge. Still he was still one of the highest officers of the Spanish due his loyalty to king Ferdinand. As such he was given the command of a reinforcement army that was bigger than San Martin's and Bolivar's armies combined which would have ended the wars of independence in no time. Riego when he recieved the commands of this army he chose to make a coup d'etat.
In his 3 years reign he accomplished
> Telling Mexico to accept his rule or fuck off
Royalists had won in Mexico btw and crushed the popular revolt. This caused Mexican independence
>Applied extremelly liberal reforms
This allienated the conservative and catholic population of those countrie
>Refuse to send reinforcements
This forced Peru to fight alone against San Martin and Bolivar.

After their victoey with the aid of the Brittish navy Bolivar tried to create a hispanic superstate but he never understood that the only thing holding together those territories was Spain itself so in the congress of Panama he achieved shit. He also failed to realize that Britain was not his ally and was only using him. The British goverment exponsored the fracture of the old Viceroyalties ending in microstates which was Britain's whole purpose. At the end of the day independence wars were an artificial comflict created by Britain with the purpose of destroying a strong hispanic state. Everything else is a meme.

Awoke

Care to tell me about some books that talk about this?

Everything is in Spanish but it is widely accepted that all of them where masons and that Britain was heavily behind the movement

Care to tell me about some books that talk about this?

Fernando VII. Borbones, 6
This one was pretty broad when I read it but it didn't focus as much in LATAM.It focused more about the Spanish POV.Then you have a bunch of essays about it.

The only book translated to English that covers this and I know of happens to be Laurentino Gomes' 1808. A shitty book. Very bullying towards the Portuguese, but somewhat a decent introductory text.

It was translated as "1808: The Flight of the Emperor".

Try "Tree of hate"

Is awoke?

Spanish is my first language so go ahead and recommend all you want.

Again try "Arbol de Odio"

Thanks

>Le Bolivar is the Latin George Washington
>*Declares a war to the death*
>*Orders the beheading of hundreds of unaramed captives*
>*Becomes a dictator"

Bolivar was a shit ruler.
San Martin was GOAT though.

>Expert General distinguished for his actions during the Napoleonic Wars and the Peninsular War
>Executed the Maitland Plan to perfection to free South America
>Crossing of the Andes is an impressive military feat right along Hannibal crossing the Alps
>Clever use of deception and feigned retreat tactics
>Funded the first professional military school in Latin America with teaching of math, engineering, strategy
>Offered to rule Peru as dictator, declined
>Offered to take part in the Civil Wars, declined saying "Insolent scoundrel! Don't you realize my sword has never been dipped in American blood?"
>Donated his personal money to build schools
>Retired into obscurity having secured the independence of half of South America
>Rejected every honor and monetary compensation

San Martin was a military man, not a ruler at all
He never gave a single fuck about politics

Based as fuck. Wish he had more media presence like a movie (something good, not a 5k production made in Argentina)

Wish more people knew about him. His crossing of the Andes gets rarely mentioned and not many could do that.

How is Argentina these days. I would like to know more about life there? Politically, economically and sociology wise etc. I'm in Europe so Latin America is just memes and stereotypes for most people here

Not him but from argentina. The Kirchner reign ended some years ago and this month it was made clear they're not coming back. There's a lot of turmoil about a recent case (google maldonado case) about a dirty hippie that was protesting for the rights of the mapuche people (natives) and was apparently dissapeared by the military. He was found drowned in a river some weeks ago.
Regarding economy, the middle class is in the same situation we are since the mid 2000s.
Education took a hit with the new government (right wing) and that's the most reprochable about them. Don't see how our international situation can substantially change in the next few decades. We're kind of relevant and that's it.

Politically it's very soon to said, but C.Kirchner may have delivered a blow to the peronismo that nobody expected. They demanded such a "cult" of personality, that modern peronismo is without a North now (they have an unspoken rule: if you lose, then you never were a real peronista. But here's the thing, nobody seems to really be able to take the leadership)
Economically it's good for big wallets, not so for mid and low class. And things seems to be in favor to have a "flexibilizacion laboral" in order to compete with... Brazil? Have cheap labour? We don't know, we are primary basic resources export, so the idea of moving from there to have cheap ensemble lines of iPhones like China doesn't make sense. It probably something related to the industry /business that the new powers that be possess.
Then again some of us were expecting some kind of local mini apocalypse, so considering that, I'm OK
Socially, you have the Maldonado case. It's too soon to know, but poor guy ended up as a martyr for some and as a plot to hurt the gob for others. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle: RAM are not exactly smooth mapuches, they a more radical faction. This guy went there and protested with them (imagine some Hippie. Good intentions, not the best ideas). Gendarmeria went overboard like sometimes do, and went there to kick some faces.
Here's were thing go blur and we don't know what happened. Or depending on who you ask we are fucking sure! guy was taken/hidden by RAM or Gendarmeria (pick a side) only to be found dead a couple of days before senador/diputado elections on a very small river... drowned. But the plot thickens: guy was missing like 80 days but the body presented almost no decomposition except for the face, and without evidence of violence. And rumor has it that this mean that he couldn't have been all that time nor dead on a fridge. So he was killed/died only a couple of days before

I don't like gendarmeria, but something doesn't add

>Get BTFO
>Riego save me pleaseeeee me and Bolivar are getting BTFO and the British army is not aiding me until I reach Peru
>Don't worry. I will take care of it
*Yawn* Bolivar was a Riego baby and everyone that has a clue knows it

It keeps being occuped by eurangutans for now.

>Donated his personal money to build schools
>200 year later argentina build one, ONE
infobae.com/2004/07/06/123813-despues-191-anos-abren-una-escuela-donada-belgrano/
matenme

simon "el presidente vitalicio" bolivar
simon "legion of hell bitch" bolivar
simon "haiti i need a army again" bolivar
simon "iam not a dictator, iam only el presidente of 4 country" bolivar

The correct word is gorilas m8

>Declares war to the death
>Loses his "war to the death"
>Doesn't die

is this supposed to be funny? That's Belgrano, not San Martín.

>>Offered to take part in the Civil Wars, declined saying "Insolent scoundrel! Don't you realize my sword has never been dipped in American blood?"

>>Expert General distinguished for his actions during the Napoleonic Wars and the Peninsular War
>>Executed the Maitland Plan to perfection to free South America
>>Crossing of the Andes is an impressive military feat right along Hannibal crossing the Alps
>>Clever use of deception and feigned retreat tactics
>>Funded the first professional military school in Latin America with teaching of math, engineering, strategy
>>Offered to rule Peru as dictator, declined
>>Offered to take part in the Civil Wars, declined saying "Insolent scoundrel! Don't you realize my sword has never been dipped in American blood?"
>>Donated his personal money to build schools
>>Retired into obscurity having secured the independence of half of South America
>>Rejected every honor and monetary compensation
none of this is proof he would make a good ruler of a country. him declining to rule is all the proof you need.

Any analysis of history that starts with "it's simple" can be safely disregarded.

You forgot to mention the part where the monarch is ordered to come back, refuse and then do a war against the Portuguese

I'm an Amerifag, but my grandparents immigrated from Italy to Argentina during the first Peron presidency, before leaving for New York in 1962. It's weird to think that if they stuck around, I would be an Argentine. Then again I would probably have a few less uncles than I do now, so whatever.

True.
But at least the guy knew what is shit was about and had the decency to not be another meh ruler

>maldonado
Nobody thinks it was the military.

The guy was found drowned in the river with no signs of injury or struggle. Human rights groups have been invited to appoint their own coroner for the autopsy and his family was invited to appoint the other coroner.

He was just a protester that went missing and the far left cried foul to try to turn him into some sort of martyr in a dirty smear campaign.

And? People still think it was gendarmeria. Don't you see all the posters and posts everywhere? We all know there was more than 50 people in the autopsy room. That doesn't change the fact that people still mobilizes with huge signs that say "SABEMOS QUE FUE GENDARMERIA".

They just lost the elections, some assblasted protesters using some poor guy's death for political purposes are not "the people".

You have to be joking. Of course not everybody is stupid enough to think they know what happened, but a lot of people do. Happy now?

Lack of space.