Found out my boss has possibly been stealing from owner

Found out my boss has possibly been stealing from owner.

I'm a cliche FOH manager at a restaurant. I caught wind that our GM has been using a loophole to steal cash. I looked at out closing paperwork for each night and theres definitely something weird going on. We discontinued these "paper gift cards" a year ago. Essentially they count as cash so you could say you recieved a $100 paper gift card and then take $100 in cash out of the deposit and nothing would come up short. Problem is, none of these "paper gift cards" are ever seen.

Just this week there has been $1,200 in "gift cards" with me seeing literally zero physical proof of them. I make $40,000 a year, do I risk my job and talk to the owner about it?

You gather evidence, or pretend you have evidence, then confront your manager. Ask for a 30% cut of all future endavours, or you're going to the owner. And make sure to cover your tracks, so that if the manager is caught and tries to implicate you, you can call bullshit.

Why the fuck would you talk to the owner for free?

Fpbp

just curious, what would you do in this situation to "cover your tracks"?

Then my boss explains to me that I was mistaken about my theory and fires me for blackmail

Can I get an answer from someone that isnt a teenager?

>Always receive cash when no one else, or surveillance cameras are present
>Never speak on the phone, text messages or online about the scam
>Never participate in the scam

Then gather evidence beforehand, you dense cunt.

Fuck that. If I were you I would tell the manager he has to give me money, like $5000+ and then I would go to the owner regardless and ask for a reward.

That's what you should fucking do. Not your shitty idea.

Do the same shit until your manager gets caught and then just stop and say it was all him .

No shit Sherlock. You insisting I blackmail my boss for some arbitrary figure of "30% of future endeavours" is why youre a child and

i think if you execute this properly you could take his spot if you rat him out

Talking to the owner about it is not risking your job. You are doing nothing wrong by investigating and doing due diligence to ensure protocols are followed.

You have two options. You can bring it up to your manager, who will then either come clean, panic and quit, explain why you're completely wrong, or attempt to fire you. If he comes clean, you have options. If he quits, you report to the boss and get boss to investigate who could file criminal charges (this would definitely be theft over 5k at this point). If he attempts to fire you, you have legal recourse.

Your other option is to escalate beyond your direct superior (who you believe is corrupt) to the store owner, who would either explain what's going on, or investigate it him/herself and find out that it's been happening.

There is no way to profit off of this without getting your hands dirty. Any path you take will likely lead to your manager being terminated and no net benefit to you.

For sure, you'll probably be considered for his position.

Don't do this user's advice though it sounds clever. If the GM's scheme is transparent enough that you can see it, the owner will catch on eventually. Then you'll ruin your life.

Don't tell the owner, don't do anything. Let sleeping dogs lie and keep it in your back pocket for if you ever want your GM fired. Only then give the tip. You can use this leverage to your advantage by pressing your limits and making your job as pleasing as you can get away with...and if the GM pushes back you can decide what you want to do.

Totally could, except all "paper gift cards" can only be authorized by a manager card and we all have our own. In my State, theft over $1,000 is a felony and its not worth it.

I'm just not sure if its worth potentially losing my job by sticking my nose into something that really doesnt affect my paycheck. Only reason why I think I'm going to bring it to the owners attentiin is because he looked me dead in the eye and told me to tell him if i think anything fishy is going on

Or you could just be honest with the owner. Jesus fucking Christ.

request a meeting with owner and go in there in there like a mad man slam the evidence on the table and take the dudes job, the owner knows whats up, what if this is a test and your wasting time, you are blowing a promotion here faggot

Just go tell the owner and take the GM's job

>Your other option is to escalate beyond your direct superior (who you believe is corrupt) to the store owner, who would either explain what's going on, or investigate it him/herself and find out that it's been happening.
Hit the nail on the head. Our GM answers to our "director of operations" who also just happens to be his best friend. Thats why I HAVE to go to the owner if I want something done. Its just opening up a huge can of sandines when I'm nothing but a typical manager. The director of operations makes over $100,000 a year and the owner is a multi-millionaire

my family owns bars and this shit happens all the time unforunately because lot of drinks are paid in cash and the bartenders at night know how to work the system.

all you can do is gather evidence and document anything you can think of.. or go to your owner if you know him well enough and try to gather evidence of him doing it.. If you don't have any evidence and just say something you're going to look like the jackass

My advice is contingent on it being reasonable for you to not notice the fraud. If you're in a position where the GM getting caught will cause the owner to ask you 'why didn't you notice?' then you should just go tell the owner

what this guy said

The owner hired 2 "big guys" to run the place. Theyre best friends. You think the bigger boss is gonna be OK with me getting his best friend of 15 years fired?

go to the owner, supersede everyone and go str8 to the top but have the evidence ready im telling you this is how to insure a promotion

who cares about the bigger boss, the bigger boss is going to look like an asshole because his friend that he probably speaks for is jewing him

Demand a cut :D but as an user 3rd party "White hat" who has caught him. Make him send you crypto then turn them in anyway

No contact the owner and be honnest. Say you think something is up but that you can't be certain. If it turns out to be true you can use this as an opportunity for a promotion.

this, make the restaurant yours

They honestly might both be in on it bro. there was $1,200 in potential theft just LAST WEEK.

Yeah these guys advocating your get in on the act are idiots, no point risking your job for a few hundred bucks.
Gather your evidence for sure.
Don't breath a word to the GM.

Shit you gotta gather evidence and just play dumb. At some point you will have to bring it to the attention of the owner, because if there is some embezzling going on you don't want to look untrustworthy or non-observant.

or you could go full Machiavellian and just grease up the Owner's Ego and rat out the GM, start making buddy buddy with the Director of Operations... just climb to the top. But it sounds like at this point you're gonna wanna go path of least resistance

TL;DR
-Collect Evidence, discreetly tell owner. Otherwise keep your mouth shut. Save your ass.

1/2
Make copies of all closing PPW. Don't tell you're boss that your doing this for a few weeks or ever even. Go through old statements if you can get them without asking or telling anyone/looking even remotely out of place or odd. Then once you have evidence bring up seeing a paper receipt in the closing PPW to him when you were looking for something in the office and how you haven't seen one of those in well forever and how weird it is. The trick is to frame it as mindless work banter the type that people talk about when they're bored and don't really give a shit about what they're saying. Move on to doing something else after cause again you don't really give a shit.

See what he says. Lier's talk to much about what they shouldn't when they lie. Try to read his body language does he do what you would do when you're asked a question you dont want to answer truthfully? Eyes averted does he get angry or wary when you ask? Better have a good poker face if you don't he'll know.

No one is your friend or ally on this one OP no one. If you talk to anyone about this for external validation in any way congrats youre in prison now.

Ass pounding prison felon Im not joking. 80% or something time served min sometimes depending on situation. Is your payment system electronic? Wire fraud buddy across state lines possibly even if the bank is located 2 blocks down the street. Im not a lawyer so it could be worse IDK.

When you're 100% sure hes doing something he should'nt then you go in and confront him. Shoe him only the bare minimum of what you need to to convince him his balls are now you'res. You then demand half not 1/3 half shows equality again you own him now 1/2 is fair.

If hes smart he will try and get you to sign for those receipts or connect you to that PPW trail somehow.If hes smart you'll be asked to do something thats just beyond your authority but not so beyond that you'd think twice about it.

highlight their relationship when you speak to the owner, make him suspect that

why dont you get a piece from the GM... lol, idiot. why be a snitch.

Thanks for the solid advice. I can easily print out a daily sales report for any time period showing how many dollars of "paper gift cards" weve recieved in that period. I think thats what I'll do. I know the director of operations will be pissed the fuck off I circumvented him and went straight to HIS boss but hes best friends with the GM and they both could be in on it. Id more than likely get fired or assigned to such bullshit duties id want to quit.

>choose not to report theft, just so you can plot to blackmail your superior, so you can steal from your employer as well

You're a person of great character

2/2 cont
No matter what the situation is your boss will try and frame you that is a guarantee. He will try in some way either by filming you taking money on business prop or off it doesnt matter. By signing PPW thereby committing a shit ton of felonies use your imagination, have fun. He will then go to the owner about it to the owner and bam police then bubba.

2/2 cont
No matter what the situation is your boss will try and frame you that is a guarantee. He will try in some way either by filming you taking money on business prop or off it doesnt matter. By signing PPW thereby committing a shit ton of felonies use your imagination, have fun. He will then go to the owner about it to the owner and bam police then bubba.

Don't worry though they're are enough faggots in jail that rapes don't happen anymore except as a means of punishment to people who step out of line. Just don't take anyone honeybun if they give you one.

You're not smart enough to get away with this user face it. You might even be smart but it doesn't matter. If this has been going on for as long as it sounds you're buying into the peak after 3 vert candles and 50% gains. Shits about to crash. Why is it going to crash you ask? Because you're going to do everything I said except blackmail the boss for cash. You're going to become the boss. By showing this to the owner/HR and taking your bosses job. Congrats user you just got a 10k or more raise mind you if what the boss was taking each week was say 1k thats 52k a year so youd get 15k at 1/3 or 26k at 1/2. Except that comes with felonies and your bosses job doesnt.

Let me get this straight. Paper gift card allows you to remove cash from the drop but there's no audit trail on who issued them, or when, to whom, or for how much?

Only a manager can authorize a paper gift card payment, though, right? So there's an audit trail on the authorization side but not on the issue side.

I'm assuming in a legit scenario the customer is expected to surrender the paper gift card so that it can be kept / stored for future audit by accounting (right????).

Key questions for the owner when you call them personally:

>what do you think about this scenario?

>is this the normal process for paper gift cards?

Then give them the evidence and say you wouldn't normally contact them directly but they asked you to tell them if you ever saw anything that was possibly of concern and you know boss / big boss have a close personal relationship. Due to the nature, and potential scope, of the concern you wanted to bring to owner directly.

Just stop posting ITT you have no idea how business works. I dont sign anything. I dont even sign the deposit slips when I take money to the bank. Nothing I do at closing indicates I approve my other manager's actions other than confirming petty cash is correct and their AM deposit is correct which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

go to sleep, Brian

>I'm assuming in a legit scenario the customer is expected to surrender the paper gift card so that it can be kept / stored for future audit by accounting
Correct

And when we had paper gift cards there was literally a paper gift card we would file. I have yet to see one of those.

blackmail him for 40%

>be OP
>try to blackmail boss
>spill spaghetti
>????
>get fired

>Only reason why I think I'm going to bring it to the owners attentiin is because he looked me dead in the eye and told me to tell him if i think anything fishy is going on

Perhaps he's testing you. Would it be out of the realm of possibility that you are being considered for a higher position and the owner/GM set up this scheme to see if you would catch it?

schizophrenia my dude

much more plausible based on OP's statement that theft is occurring.

>blackmail boss
>it was a test
>fired

confirm the owners suspicion with proof, get a promotion, earn owners trust forever, get more money

thats some 5d chess game here.

>Just this week there has been $1,200 in "gift cards" with me seeing literally zero physical proof of them. I make $40,000 a year, do I risk my job and talk to the owner about it?
Breh, you have just make yourself the new GM. Take the evidence to the owner.

Don't do this unless you want a felony on your record.

If you don't tell the owner, the perpetrator will beat you to it, and tell the owner YOU are doing it.

Then you report it with 1 months worth of documentation

nah try to go back as far as possible, this could increase your new pay rate

>be you
>do thing
>get caught
>enjoy prison

american beauty. fight club. however the fuck kevin spacey and edward norton did it.

I could print a sales report from any arbitrary period I wanted to showing every discount and delete, liquor or food sold, manager meal or employee discount, along with "paper gift cards"... all on one page. Which is what I think I'll do. Showing 6 months of this. One being my personal curiosity of how much money has been possibly stolen

Gather evidence, go to owner. Owner fires GM and looks for GMs to hire, apply for that and get the easiest promotion of your life

GM is long time best friends (think 19 years best friends with matching tattoos) with the Director of Operations who makes 6 figures a year to run the place. If GM goes down so does the other big boss and I'm not sure if the owner would take such a massive unemployment hit because of this relatively small scandal.
Which is why I think I could just get fucking fired because it would be easiest solution to the problem

Fire you for what? If you get firef, then just lawyer up and stop being a pissy

>GM is long time best friends (think 19 years best friends with matching tattoos) with the Director of Operations who makes 6 figures a year to run the place.
Jesus Christ. What restaurant is this? Must be huge to have such a deep management structure.

Go to the owner. DO NOT accuse the GM or the DoO. Instead, tell him exactly what you saw without accusing him. Ask for permission to audit the gift cards to make sure everything is in order. This might be nothing, but if the gift cards dont add up, it sounds like only the GM could be behind it. Again, do not accuse him of anything. The owner will be able to see what's going on if he isnt an idiot.

>40k

literally just answering calls, scheduling
reservations, and losing time on /biz

who's the stealer ?

The owner uses this restaurant as nothing more than a jewel for his achievements. Hes a multi-millionaire and all profits go to manager's paychecks and bonuses. Youre completely correct in saying we have deep management. 6 managers including myself are salaried employees and I'm at the bottom of the barrel. Heres the kicker, we're not a franchise and have zero other restaurants.

What I'm afraid of is the owner not giving a fuck because his business is doing so well and it will be easy for my bosses to deduct who leaked the fraud going on behind closed doors and punish me

A very key part I'm leaving out is the owner's dad is the one who created all of the owner's wealth and is a family friend. He specifically asked me to let him know if "anything fishy is going on" the first week I started. But hes 82 and I have no idea how he would handle the situation. He's the one I would go to

So you've resolved to doing nothing.

That's fine. Make sure that any drops you take are compliant to policy and CYA going forward.

If there's a paper gift card missing from a drop, document it per policy. If there is no policy then just ask generally / non-confrontationally via email, "hey when I took the drop there was no paper gift card for this transaction. How should I handle that?"

I want to do something about it because I was asked by the owner's dad and family friend (who is the one who funded the restaurant) to let him if anything "fishy" ever happens. But I'm also fearful I'll be the one who gets pinned for leaking this information and get shitted on

IMO you're so tepid because you're the one doing it.

Shit or get off the pot.

Family friend of yours? Then you better tell them.

>Getting a snitch as GM
He will sell you out as soon as you fuck up.

Yeah I'm being a little bitch about it. Playing too much in weighing the pros and cons. Someone isnt doing something right and I'll address it to the appropriate person

What if your manager stocked up on the paper gift cards, and now he's handing them out to customers so he can take cash from the drawers when they use them?

Just make absolutely sure that any close you sign off on / bag you drop is appropriately accounted for any any deficiencies (like missing paper gift cards) are documented.

maybe there a no paper gift cards because the manager is stealing them too in order to get free meals

Stockpile the evidence first, put it in a secure location where it can't be lost or found and destroyed by someone.