Why do the G*rmans have both a W and a V in their written language when they both make the same sound in the spoken...

Why do the G*rmans have both a W and a V in their written language when they both make the same sound in the spoken language?

Ask /int/

Spanish has the same with b and v, also h is always silent in spanish

saged and reported

They don't. V in German is soft and sounds kinda like F.

W and V don't make the same sound. thats V and F.

Hmmm. thanks.

Because you don't speak German and don't know what you're talking about.

Why does Latin have a V in its alphabet when it's really pronounced like a U?

Why does Polish have a W when it's pronounced like a V? How does an L with a line through it make the sound of W?

All languages are fucking nonsense, OP.

Actually V can be pronounced like W or like F, depending on occasion. Vogel, Vektor.

T*rk Roach begone.

Why do Frenchies write Bordeaux when its just Bordo
>chating at scrabble

i dont speak german but its probably like c and k / c and s

Fun fact: "Y" is called "Greek I" in French.

Here's what I'd like to know. Why does French have the ç when it makes the exact same sound as S? The little squiggle at the bottom is even in the same shape as an S, so why not just use that?

why do we have c and k?

In spanish too.

dutch too

Wrong

W - vibrative (v as in vroom)
F - ejective (f as in found)
V - a mix of the two (ejective with slight vibration)

They aren't the same sound, you just can't tell the difference.

V is more like an English F. W is more like an English V. In both cases they aren't exactly like English, but closest to what you'd know.

But the pronunciation also depends a little on what letters may come before or after. This kind of pronunciation variation is hardly unique.

t. a fucking LEAF who has lived in Germany for the past 7 years (came for a PhD and now work here, and am married to a foreign-cock loving German woman)

Viel (a lot), vier (four) are pronounced like an F.

I am fluent in both Arabic and Somali variants of German, so I think I know what I am talking about

C=k
c=s

>write Mulhouse
>pronounce Muluz
>write clef
>pronounce cle
Frenchniggers, I fuckig swear
Languages with deep orthography should be fucking annihilated.

what the fuck is the point of c in our alphabet? wehave s and k

and W is double V instead of double U

There really aren't many Somalis in Germany.

>How does linguistic evolution work?

>pronounciation changes
>spelling doesn't so 3/4 of your population is functionally illiterate at any given time
So this... is the power... of... retarded tradition...whoa
>tfw anglo/frenchfags will never know the feeling of knowing the spelling of every single word in your language

VE

>How does an L with a line through it make the sound of W?
thats not true

>There really aren't many Somalis in Germany.
I fucking wish
t. Frankfurt

misinformation here.

v is pronounced like w (i.e. english v) most of the time. only in some words like "Vogel" it is pronounced as f.

>write Leicester
>it's pronounced leichter

Isnt V literally called "fau" in german though?

>Write Loughborough
>Is pronounced Laufbro

same in Polish

Łańcut, Łódź...yep, 'ł' makes 'w' sound. Zamknij mordę, Burger, bo jak zwykle nie masz zielonego pojęcia o co ty gadasz!

Actually, English is FAAAAAR far worse when it comes to this. Our orthography is pretty mixed up (thanks to words of various origin: Latin, Greek, French, Old English/Germanic, various other languages, etc...), so that we have letter combinations that result in quite different pronunciations based on their origin. See pic related? That cannot happen in German.

German is pretty darn regular about which letter combinations produce a certain pronunciation. Just that sometimes V, W or F in combo with a certain vowel change the pronunciation slightly (this is not that remarkable sine they are all related sounds).

monolingual babybrains, please fuck off.

They just all live in Frankfurt. They're all related, you know.

It's pronounced "Lester". Anything ending in 'cester' used to be a Roman fort. It's a local Romano-British corruption of 'castrum'.

Close, but it is not accurate. See

>when they both make the same sound in the spoken language?

they don't

yes they do

I'm shitting on both english and french, obviously.
>monolingual
Nigger, I'm not an anglo.

Old English had 'heofon' for "heaven".

In various languages B has become V and W over time and it would seem to be from the pronunciation being rushed or slurred in speech which eventually softens the consonant. Also the W letter didn't always exist and was implemented centuries after the development of the Latin script.

>the thread is still up
MOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDSSS

>only in some words like "Vogel" it is pronounced as f.
In pretty much every word that starts by Ve or Vo, no?

To a pleb it might seem that way. For linguists, they don't, although they may be very close. Maybe even identical to a pleb's ears.

Believe it or not, people already thought of this issue hundreds of years ago. And there is a reason inconsistent orthography/spellings are (were) kept. It is (was) so that we know their language of origin.

what's the difference in sound between b and v in english?
t. spanish speaker

That was closer to it's actual pronunciation back the. Hee-o-fonn.

Doobleh-v, eeks, egrek, zed.

B is made touching your lips together and its closer to a popping sound, and v is still touching bottom lip to upper teeth

Not always, but it has become quite common. Largely by the practice of 'hypercorrection', where people (you right now are a good example of this) assume there is "ONE RIGHT RULE" about something and start hyper-correcting pronunciations with this new 'rule' where it did not previously exist.

You can see a lot of this when you look at irregular verbs. Actually, the 'first' irregular verbs were generally inherited from Old English. Most of the 'older' verbs that refer to basic bodily actions, or were activities one could do 1000 years ago, have irregular forms. Once Latin became trendy, verbs were given -ed endings. However, there are some 'newer' irregular verbs that were 'irregularized' because they seemed (at the time) to be related to older forms, so it felt more natural to use them in irregular conjugations.

But that's just one way languages morph over time. Pretty much all languages do this.

English is far worse. Loads of similar sounds with different spelling.

Fun fact: Arabs don't have the letter P and have trouble distinguishing it from B.

My first name is Peter (come at me doxxers), but when I was in Egypt and Jordan, I was Beeter.

They do not in German. Duh.

micheal?

Nope, sorry.

It's just me, running around in a circle.

What's the difference between S and ß?

too bad the "sh" sound is a result of "-tion" and not "ti"

>the joke
>9001 levels
>your head

S in German is often a sort of a soft buzzing S, a little closer to the Anglo Z.

ß is called Scharfes S or Eszett (literally S Z, because it was literally just two letters written together, which later became one letter. Ss (when not the initial letter) used to be written more like a straight line with a little curl to the right (like so: ſ ), and if you look at a cursive Z (like so: ʒ), you can see where ß comes from.

ß always makes a 'sharp' sssssssss sound, and is only found in the middle or at the end of words, never at the beginning.

I'm trying but it's the exact same sound

Why spanish has the H if is like if it was not there

B is a voiced P (say uuuuuuh while saying P)
V is like a voiced F (say uuuh while saying F)

actually, there is a difference between ß and ss because the number of consonants following a vowel determines the amount of emphasis on the vowel.