Hey Veeky Forums I have a question, are there any examples of unusual Roman marriages or remarriages...

Hey Veeky Forums I have a question, are there any examples of unusual Roman marriages or remarriages? Specifically for political alliances or anything like that.

I was reading about Roman adoption/marriage and the little details about how remarriage was common or how someone younger could be adopted as a son made me think they might have gone weird.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelia_Metella
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cicero at one point in his 60's was in desperate need of money, and entered into an arrangement with one of his peers eager to ride his coattails to political fame and glory, and they cemented the arrangement by giving Cicero his 12 year old daughter to marry.

This was considered downright scandalous by Roman standards, and on their wedding day, when his friends and family asked him what he was doing marrying a child, his response was simply, "she'll be a woman by the morning"

top kek

Thanks, user.

Any other notable incidents?

Was he /our guy/?

Mark Antony did nothing wrong

Anything like the reverse?

Asking for a friend.

i want to be the cute roman shota

Pompey, after the death of Julia (daughter of Julius Caesar) married the daughter of one of Caesar's enemies (I can't remember which).

She was 14-15. Almost legal in most European countries.

Pompey literally married the daughter of a judge who acquitted him of embezzlement charges, and then promptly divorced her as soon as she stopped being useful
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistia

The woman you're thinking of, though, is Cornelia Metella, daughter of Metellus Scipio, one of Caesar's most ardent conservative opponents
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelia_Metella

Wait, did I still get my story right?

yes, after the daughter of Caesar died in childbirth Pompey married the daughter of one of Caesar's most relentless opponents, and represents the point at which the first triumvirate started to break down

>Hortensius: Hey Cato, I think your wife is really pretty, and since your wife has already produced multiple sons for you, you mind giving her to me now? Obviously it is in the best interest of the city for such a beautiful woman to have as many children as possible, and since you're done having kids, it only makes sense you'd let somebody else have her now.

>Cato: ...............you know that actually makes sense, sure, I'll go ahead and divorce her so you can have her. But just be aware I'll be re-marrying her as soon as you die.

This actually happened.

He actually asked for Cato's daughter but Cato offered his wife instead.

That just makes it better t b h

holy shit, it does

>JJ Frenchie
>tumblr filename

WHAT.

Cato was the biggest cuck.

It actually was a way to cement friendships and alliances at the time

Okay, thanks.

He wanted his daughter for himself.

I wonder what the wife thought about the whole situation

Were Romans the original cuckold society?

>tfw jjfrenchie stopped drawing shota

Her family was pissed. Her individual thoughts are unrecorded by history. Marcia and Cato did remarry after Hortensius died, though, and she was considerably richer then, because as Hortensius's wife, she had inherited his wealth when he died. This prompted Caesar to accuse Cato of pimping out his wife just so he could acquire another man's inheritance.

Even at the time, it was considered fucking weird. It was perfectly legal, as Rome had no rules about divorce, but it was weird, especially considering Cato's lifelong obsession with traditionalism.

this is unironically true, Romans were notorious philanderers and cucks

This better not be true because that is not a good feel

She wasn't 12 though, she was older than that.
However Cicero did get his daughter engaged very young to her future husband, but they only married when she was around 16.

So the Romans did technically have the very same kind of arranged marriages that europeans engaged in for most of their history after that, but they didn't have legal pedophiliac relationships either. European morals on the matter never really changed, neither has the age of consent in many western european countries when you think about it.