Is suicide really so morally wrong?

Is suicide really so morally wrong?

morals don't exist and suicide means nothing more than premature death. Anything that society has said about suicide being taboo is imaginary.

Look, I don't know why you keep making these threads, but would you please get some help? Whether it's just calling a suicide hotline, talking to a professional, spending time with friends/family, etc. just do something. People who care about you will miss you, and inflicting pain on someone else is indeed wrong.

I'm not gonna kill myself I'm just asking hypothetically.

Morals obviously do exist, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them would we? Suicide is not immoral though.

Not wrong, but silly in most cases. If you're actually losing your mind, it's a fairly rational decision.

>inflicting pain on someone else is wrong
Would you inflict pain on me if I tried to kill you?

>Morals obviously do exist, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them would we?

I might say the same of centaurs

Exactly, the concept of a centaur obviously exists otherwise how could we even talk about it?

what does it matter? if you commit suicide the moral ramifications are of no consequence to you.

A lot of people talk about Kek, but do you believe that His Divine Frogginess really exists?

>Morals obviously do exist
No, morals are imaginary. Nothing differentiates morals from religious beliefs from stupid theories regarding the object of life. For some reason mankind has looked to the sky because it couldn't determine why it was here.

'Morals' is, alongside religion, a concept invented as a way of preventing the chaos that would ensue once mankind realised that none of its actions have any consequence.

Oh, so morality is only a conception? Then it "exists" in the same way that a centaur exists, and I will look upon all claims regarding the "moral significance" of my actions as I would look on claims about how my actions affect a fanciful cryptid.

>Oh, so morality is only a conception? Then it "exists" in the same way that a centaur exists, and I will look upon all claims regarding the "moral significance" of my actions as I would look on claims about how my actions affect a fanciful cryptid.
Everything exists in both concept and the real actualization of said concept. You should treat the concept of morality just as you would treat the concept of centaurs, and the actualization of centaurs just as you would treat the actualization of morality.

But the concept and the actualization of it are necessarily separate, and if the concept cannot be actualized, isn't the attempt a nugatory one?

But the only way we can figure out whether a concept can or cannot be actualized is by attempting to actualize it, which is why we see so many concepts that have failed still gain supporters of its actualization, a good example being communism. There's no way to definitively say beyond all reproach that communism cannot be actualized, we can merely say that every attempt at it has failed. Of course, communism is by definition of conception of humans as a collective while morality can merely apply to an individual. And humanity is full of individuals who have lived and acted based on some form of morality.

So would it wrong for me to go to house right now and strangle you to death?

In the US suicide is legally right
which makes it morally right
so if you want to go for it.

murdering your slave was legal in the united states in the past.

In the US that would be legally wrong
which makes it morally wrong
so that would be wrong.

It's not the case that every concept functions in this way. Logical forms, for instance, necessarily can't be actualized because they are pure abstractions. Some conceptions are void because they confuse the particular with the general, e.g. Ayn Rand's axiom "existence exists" attributes particular objectivity to an abstraction, "existence."

No. You can do that if you want.

>being this high on Contractualism

Right and wrong isn't informed by the law, the law is informed by right and wrong.

right and wrong and the law are imaginary concepts

Not if you are a muslim and you take an infidel with you

nibba wut
So you wouldn't object to me killing you?

Not him, but "is it wrong" does not mean the same thing as "would you object."

>nibba wut
There is nothing which mankind hasn't imagined that says anything about the law, morality, right and wrong, etc. They're imaginary concepts.
>So you wouldn't object to me killing you?
If you were a woke ass nigga who knew that morality, right and wrong, and the law were imaginary, there'd be nothing to stop your will

>If you were a woke ass nigga who knew that morality, right and wrong, and the law were imaginary, there'd be nothing to stop your will

Sorry im not a true ubermensch who isn't fettered to concepts like morality, and the law

>There is nothing which mankind hasn't imagined that says anything about the law, morality, right and wrong, etc. They're imaginary concepts.

what do you mean by imaginary?

Yes and US law so informed reflects them.

>what do you mean by imaginary?
Concepts that have no actuality or real purpose. Take religion, for example. Billions of humans let a product of some guy's imagination govern over their lives. By that definition, anything and everything produced by humans is imaginary, developed for an imaginary reason like 'progress' or 'human development'. Those concepts have no reality and no definition. Anything that is produced to 'achieve' them is an imaginary device. Imagine if a third party who was aware that progress was the product of someone's imagination saw a car (or something that was produced in the name of progress). This alien invention, this product of the imagination, would seem completely bizarre.

so what isn't imaginary?

The untouched environment, viewed by 'unspooked' eyes. That is, an environment not reshaped by humans viewed by a human who has not been influenced by other humans' ideas.

My favourite imaginary concept is the one that describes itself using itself.

Yeah, everything needs to be in quotations if you want to talk about reality's actuality.

Quotations are only an imaginary descriptor of an imaginary concept. It would be futile to even use them since you'd have nothing to signify their very own imaginary status as they do with words.

communication is an imaginary concept

/thread