Good lord... it could have been worse??

Good lord... it could have been worse??

>"While Wilson’s language is often plain, it’s also carefully chosen. She told Wyatt Mason at the New York Times magazine she could have begun the poem with the line “Tell me about a straying husband,” an even more radical choice that would still have been “a viable translation.”

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/the-first-woman-to-translate-the-odyssey-into-english.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What’s more, the heroic-Penelope reading focuses on a wealthy woman at the expense of the many enslaved women in the poem, some of whom meet an untimely and brutal end.
And that makes her unheroic how? The "heroic" Odysseus literally gets every single man under his command killed mainly due to his own stupidity and arrogance.

“Weaving does in fact make a person’s hands more muscular,” she writes. “I wanted to ensure that my translation, like the original, underlines Penelope’s physical competence..."

DO YOU EVEN WEAVE, BRAH?

>πολύτροπον

>complicated

yeah, no

ah ok, i see now: it make sense

nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/the-first-woman-to-translate-the-odyssey-into-english.html

>“a viable translation.”

brb making a translation of my own, here is a sneak peak

>AYO TELL ME BOUT DAT NIGGA

Any translation that doesn't use smiles isn't viable in 21st century.

How the fuck do you interpret Circe and Calypso's treatment of Odysseus as him getting to sleep with beautiful women? They were forcing him to stay with them against his will and coercing him into having sex with him. All he wanted to do was get home to his wife.

Wew lad.

Also, Fitzgerald is the best translation, Fagles is weak.

>Penelope, determined to remain loyal to her husband, uses her intelligence and guile to outwit and stall her suitors as she faithfully awaits her husband's return

>Odysseus, though just as determined to remain faithful to his wife, finds himself in compromising situations which he cannot talk his way out of, and so is forced into having sex with two women who effectively kidnap him. Every morning after he lays with them, he stumbles out onto the beach and weeps for his wife, worried he will never see her again

, >Ugh Odysseus was such a pig!!! Why couldn't Penelope have a little fun??? You go girl!!

I want a readable translation that doesn't annoy the shit out of me with sentences the length of a paragraph. Any suggestions?

Read the one in the OP then you fucking goon.

His companions usually die because of their own stupidity. That’s the point of the story.

a shitsmear wiped across your eyes

just learn Greek m8
surely it's better translated

I would totally read or listen a Compton approved version of it desu.

>Okay Odysseus, when you're leaving for home, whatever you do, DON'T try to fight Scylla
Some pages later
>aight guys put your armor on let's fight Scylla lmao

It's about the dangers of vice and returning home from war. Like a pseudo-manual on how to cope with PTSD

To be fair I think Circe told him that some of his men would definitely be killed by Scylla, so he was determined to fight it off and make sure nobody died

Edgy.

wasn't it picking between some dying and everyone dying?

rap is just modern epic poetry anyway

Shut the fuck up numale faggot