Why does nihilism get such a bad rep? What is everyone so scared of?

Why does nihilism get such a bad rep? What is everyone so scared of?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VnIgfJz6N3E
youtube.com/watch?v=3UENIvDzhDY
youtube.com/watch?v=8HZT70-DJHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It being actually true obviously. If nothing really does matter then what?

Because some people are pessimistic nihilists and they are fucking annoying.

Regular nihilists know that we don't have purpose, and we're just happened to exist out of chance.

That doesn't mean we can't enjoy hot pockets, fapping, and Veeky Forums.

This is one of the truest images in existence.

So is nihilism a licence to be degenerate to your heart's content?

It's a license to pursue whatever you feel has merit or meaning. Which is the point many existentialists were getting at.

Basically yes. It's the realization that objective morality doesn't exist so you're free to be amoral.

>It's a license to pursue whatever you feel has merit or meaning.
That's the point of every philosophy .

Not exactly. Most philosophies attempt to discover a specific merit or meaning to things. Existentialism is about giving people the tools to do it for themselves.

>Existentialism is about giving people the tools to do it for themselves.
That's every philosophy. In it's own mind, at least.

and you don't understand why people are afraid of a philosophy that gives license to cannibals?

>

Sartes fucked many of his students in threesomes with Simone de Beauvoire.

Is that image about Black people?

A bad rep from who?

This so much.

Because the philosophers most often associated with nihilism (eg. Buddha, Nietzsche, Jacobi, Gorgias) are objectively not nihilists and most nihilistic arguments rest on non comprehension of their philosophies.

For example, all three of the "optimistic nihilists" there in your pic are existentialists, not nihilists.

>all three of the "optimistic nihilists" there in your pic are existentialists, not nihilists.

That's what the pic says you clod.

Because both nihilism's proponents and its detractors can't seem to grasp the very point of nihilism: that it is meant to be overcome.

Nihilism is meant to be viewed in context of a world wherein religion has failed to satisfy man's need for meaning, hence the whole "God is dead" idea. Since we can no longer believe that meaning has been created for us, we may start to feel that our lives are meaningless. This is a flawed idea and is only successful because humans are prone to needing someone to order them around. A mature person has no need to fear the death of God or nihilism because they can create their own meaning.

>Buddha
>nihilism
BUDDHISM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NIHILISM.

How do we not in your view, not create meaning for ourselves by creating God?

>If nothing really does matter then what?

i dont think thats what nihilism is

you can be a nihilist and still like cocopops so cocopops matter to you

>there are people who believe in god on Veeky Forums

rick and morty has shown a long running theme of nihilism being "edgy teenagers first ideology"
>fuck you mum and dad, i dont want to go to church it has no meaning
It is often said that the only true nihilists have already committed suicide, unless you put a spin on it('''optimistic nihilism'''), or just use it as a face to seem deep and intelligent(rick and morty fanbase).
Any user who seriously believes some of its points, id suggest you go read 'the myth of sisephus' by camus, it rounds out the concepts really nicely and provides a much more applicable framework for finding meaning in life.

>A mature person has no need to fear the death of God or nihilism because they can create their own meaning.

I used to believe that until I realized no amount of human will can beat the full weight of the universe.
>You: "HAHA I create my OWN meaning universe!"
>Universe: "That's nice sweetie, enjoy the Eastern front."
>[six miserable soul crushing months later]
>You:"fuck you universe just fuck you"

wut

Why does it matter if it gets a bad rep?

God needing to be created by man defeats the whole point of the Christian God. If you wish to create some sort of "new" deity for you to worship, that's your choice.

Why do you, or anyone else for that matter, need to beat the Universe? Or did you mean bear it? Even the religious often get weary, in spite of their supposed faith and knowledge of the hereafter.

What valid meaning can you possibly give to life when the things you use to give meaning to it can be reshuffled and undone in an instant?
You may decide that the meaning of your life is to be a brilliant surgeon, then your hands get blown off with a mailbomb, and now where are you?

>so overcome it and find a new meaning
The point is that you are lying to yourself when you think you have control over the course of your life, that whatever meanings you create for it are delusional and pop like soap-bubbles when they bump into reality. If you have to find a new meaning because your life got re-written by the passage of time, you're not actually creating your own meaning you're looking for another way to rationalize the fact that you're living your life according to whatever random stream events come your way.

>Why do you, or anyone else for that matter, need to beat the Universe?
Why do you need to pretend that you can give meaning to the meaningless?

Well, what do you suggest people do? Just crawl in a hole and die?

The only thing that's meaningless is any sort of grand purpose to the universe. Everything simply is. In the meantime, however, one might want to try and stave off boredom, I suppose.

Look. I just have been disillusioned a lot throughout my life.
It's not that I want to feel this way. I just do.

You know this hit home

>Well, what do you suggest people do? Just crawl in a hole and die?
Honestly?
Embrace superstition, rationalism and materialism were a mistake. If the universe is absurd why fight that absurdity with reason? It's like trying to build a sandcastle when you're ankle deep in the surf.

>The only thing that's meaningless is any sort of grand purpose to the universe.
Literally impossible for us to know.

>embrace superstition
You're simply advocating for one form of delusion over another.

we do have a purpose. Its just not one we should wish on our worst enemies

Except that believing in Jesus Christ isn't absolute either.

If life is absurd how can embracing the absurd be delusional? There is nothing delusional about recognizing the absurdity of life, and if there is it is a much more stable delusion with a much deeper connection to the real world than the idea that simple apes are capable of unraveling its mysteries.

A). I never mentioned Christ.
B). Fanatics that believe in Christ most assuredly believe in Christ absolutely, and that belief is unshakeable as faith is irrational and therefore more in tune with the absurd nature of reality.

>but Christians lose their faith all the time
because they don't actually understand their faith and believe their god is a magician that performs tricks on demand.

There is literally nothing wrong with being a cannibal.

Oh boy the classic "this awful shit happened/happened to people so I'll use it as an excuse to be miserable and not try in my life where these awful things aren't happening"

This is why I hate nihilists, or more accurately Veeky Forums nihilists. They'll come up with every excuse under the sun to continue to be piles of shit and use other peoples suffering to justify their own, fuck off.

If you are a nihilist, you have the following conception of reality:
Nothing you do matters - this absolves you of any responsibility.

If you are no nihilist, everything you do matters - but you also carry all the responsibility

To me the trouble is clear - Nihilists have a belief structure that ultimately says that you can be a piece of shit that does not have to contribute in any kind of way and your life is devoid of meaning, so why not kill yourself immediately?

I'd rather take on responsibility and live a meaningful life.

dubs of truth

>missing the point this badly
Why are secularists such retards?

Yes, which is why that image ticks me off so hard.
>yeah, yeah do what you want that's happiness, no meaning isn't essential to conscious action lol just do what you want

For the first few months. Then they get depressed, they turn to hedonism and shit hits the fan.
It's not a coincidence that the people who tend to live the longest aren't at all what nihilists tend to be (childless, drug users, stereotypical rootless urbanites).

It's not the point of nihilism just because Nietzsche said so.

>Nihilism
>Existentialism
>Absurdism
The gathering of philosophies for egocentric adolescents. Seek Jesus.

>reddit

I feel like we're going in circles here, user. It's all well and good to say we should embrace the absurd, but how does effect how people live? How does the absurdity of the universe stop me from doing something with my life?

>father of the philosophy
>lol his opinion doesn't matter

Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist you reddit

If you are a nihilist you cant call someone a “pile of shit”, because that means you’re referring to a certain moral code/ideology

If you are a nihilist you can't believe that you are a nihilist.

Because it's pretty bullshit, to be quite honest. Or at least, it has become bullshit the past few decades.
Nihilists get so hang up on the fact nothing matters and everything is pointless that they fail to see the irony of how this single ideology comes to govern their lives and make them depressed or edgelords, despite spewing out that no ideology should govern the life of anyone, due to the said ideology's meaninglesness in the grand scheme of things.
Also it has become quite a popular excuse for living a hedonistic and lazy life.
I'm sure there are some good nihilists out there, who don't annoy people every 2 seconds with their "life sucks" monologue. But the majority is a circle-jerk of sad and snarky Rick and Morty viewers.
Most should grow out of their teenage phase and realize that instead of pandering about their lives being meaningless, they should instead stop caring about it and actually live their lives, create their own meaning, no matter how temporary it may be in it's short existence

Reddit tier

Degeneracy is a spook.

this

People in this thread are confusing nihilism with being depressed

it seems pretty obvious. people like living with purpose, nihilism denies purpose, this upsets them

You guys just gotta clarify what the are means first

people are scared of two things, some are scared of the gaping void, others are scared of what comes out of it

>create their own meaning
What does this existentialist meme phrase mean and what "meaning" have any of you created?

Why Jesus? Why not literally any other god out there?

They all left the same amount of evidence for their existence. Old ponderous tomes full of nonsensical claims.

Why is the Bible any different than any other old dusty book? Its sheets burn like every other piece of paper on this planet.

It can't be because of its content because followers disagree fundamentally on it all the time. Shia and Sunni, Protestant and Catholic. You're all the same dumbasses.

Instead of living your lives to the fullest and enjoying existence as it is, you waste it trying to satisfy something that doesn't exist.

I hope you understand that once you've wasted the entirety of your life on fables and fairy tales, there will be nothing waiting for you on the other side and you'll have wasted the most precious thing that was ever yours. A chance at happiness and fulfillment.

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life

>Nietzsche
>nihilist
I hope this meme is ironic you big retard

Because there are no true nihilists, just folks running about claiming everything is meaningless and everything is shit, and calling themselves "nihilists".

Humans are meaning making machines. You cannot have an experience, no matter how minute, without automatically assigning one degree or another of meaning to it. To claim everything is meaningless, is to deny your own primary intellectual drive and instinct. The rest of us instantly detect the disingenuous dishonesty of an individual who claims all things are meaningless, because even philosophical zombies would, by virtue of biological function, assign meaning to events, if not experience.

Whether you believe in meaning outside of man, whether you believe in the divine, or not, whether you believe in determinism, or not, every experience, from your first kiss to stubbing your toe, is given meaning by your brain. It is core to its pattern recognition and evaluation functions and what allows you not simply to survive, but to perceive reality. It's why you discard dreams and the minutia of television shows and Veeky Forums posts, but remember that stubbed toe so vividly. It's why you remember your father's face, but not that of some random stranger you saw in a crowd some decade ago. It's why you walk instead of crawl. It's how you learned to type. Deny it all you wish, you cannot live as a human and not be trapped in complex myriads of interlocking pyramids of value and meaning.

Fuck off atheist, Satan awaits you

My dick awaits your ass nigga.

Reminder that hedonists are nihilists without the self awareness because they fail to recognize their own desires in the context of a meaningless universe.

>the very point of nihilism: that it is meant to be overcome.
Says who?

Nietzsche, for starters, along with the vast majority of philosophers who ever bring up the subject.

Not that there aren't edgy exceptions.

That's cool and all, but how can a philosophy that teaches no intrinsic meaning inherently include the necessity to fight it?

Because you cannot live without making meaning. Nihilism is thus an illusionary trap of one's own creation resulting in a denial of the process of reason.

Yes

>Because you cannot live without making meaning.
I get what you're saying but to me, an outsider, it always seemed like nihilism was essentially nothing to live for, nothing to die for: the ideology.

That's what some emos turned it into.

In philosophy, again, with a few exceptions, it's like solipsism (the belief that you are the whole of reality and everyone else is just compartmentalized hallucinations): It's cliff you accuse a particular line of thinking or ideology to be heading towards, and present that possibility as evidence of its falsehood or unviability, while the presenter attempts to dialectic his way out of that hole. It's not, generally, presented as an ideology unto itself in such circles (again, there are exceptions - but there are also exceptions for solipsism.)

Nihilism is just Stirner.

Not him but something i think works is to keep yourself occupied with things you enjoy doing, and setting goals that you can work towards and so on

It would be if they had invented the scenarios they find themselves in.

At least in America.

Fuck off Camus you're a fag

Nihilism is the mainstream in the u.s. it gets a pretty good rap here. But it is fundamentally wrong. For it ignores the spiritual element of life by assuming all life can be explained by physical law.

>If nothing really does matter then what?
Nothing matter =/= nothing has value.
This idea that nihilism/cosmicism leads to depression is retarded. a lack of inherent meaning doesn't change ethics or anything else.

You are confusing nihilism with materialism. You can have one without the other, in both directions.

>Any user who seriously believes some of its points, id suggest you go read 'the myth of sisephus' by camus
Came here to post this

Shame Fargo Season 2 was the worst of the lot though.

Was the first season any good?

1st and 3rd were bretty gud.

>How many ways can you misinterpret Camus, the series.
youtube.com/watch?v=VnIgfJz6N3E
youtube.com/watch?v=3UENIvDzhDY
youtube.com/watch?v=8HZT70-DJHc

they come in descending order of quality

I strongly disagree with that criticism. Suicide would be equally pointless in a truly nihilistic worldview.

Thought the 1st and 3rd were good. 2nd had the issue of having no sympathetic characters, and centering almost entirely around a family of bag-stabbing gangsters and the self-centered incompetent civilians. And then there's [spoiler]aliums[/spoiler] for no apparent reason. In addition to several allusions to Camus by people who clearly never read Camus, despite having the damned book in front of them, cuz "muh edgie nihilist teen" (whole reason we have said teens is they've not read the books of the authors they profess to worship - is she just staring at it all day?)

R&M, if anything, is an anti-nihilist show. The lead character is a materialist nihilist to the nth degree, and is the most miserable, back-stabbing human being you could ever come across, valuing nothing but his own pleasure and survival (thus breaking this core philosophy whenever it's convenient - demonstrating the worst of both worlds). He traverses the multiverse, ruining the lives of everyone around him, and nearly getting his entire family killed, pretty much every episode. Said family being his only other concern, and every time it looks as if he might commit some level of self-sacrifice for their sake, he takes it all back at the beginning of the next episode.

Everyone always goes on about how it's federa-kino, but really, if anything, it's alt-right Christian propaganda.

how can a nihilist act at all?

More like Simone fucked a bunch of students while Sartre sat in a corner, fapping while blubbering out"a bloo bloo bloo, I-I'm fine with this, it's so intellectually stimulating, a bloo".

It doesn't.