Why did Italian replace Latin?

Why did Italian replace Latin?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J6dFEtb06nw
youtube.com/watch?v=f-g3er7P-lM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Latin was never a language that the common folk would speak. Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew. Though, treaties and business deals were often debated and signed in Latin. So it was a necessity to reach the upper echelons of society.

because after 5th century pure OG Latin was only kept as a language for religious texts and plebs can't fucking read so they butchered the already butchered "vulgar" Latin into what you call Italian and other "romance" languages

>Latin was never a language that the common folk would speak. Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew. Though, treaties and business deals were often debated and signed in Latin. So it was a necessity to reach the upper echelons of society.

Latin never existed, the catholic church just made it up to give them more legitimacy

>Latin was never a language that the common folk would speak. Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew.
>this somehow resulted in post-fall populations speaking an offshoot of Latin
fascinating findings

>Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew
Vulgar latin, brainlet.

>Latin was never a language that the common folk would speak.
yeah most spoke vulga-
>Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew.
you are a goddamn retard

Because it's easier.

It's sad too see how low Veeky Forums has sunk

Icelandic and Finnish are WAY harder yet you don't see them changing shit up.

Maybe Italians really are dumb

>Latin was never a language that the common folk would speak. Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew. Though, treaties and business deals were often debated and signed in Latin. So it was a necessity to reach the upper echelons of society.

You dumb fuck, from first century before christ to second century after christ all the elite was bilingual greek and latin, then the empire split and the occidental part was influenced with the barbarian reign and the romance language. Pure italian language is derived from "vulgar language" talked in the Tuscan region and made "official" by Dante, Boccaccio and that cocksucker of Petrarca.

You don't even know how to speak properly your mothertongue please die.

you forget your brainlet.

Did it? I thought it was replaced by the various Romance dialects and then reduced to a handful of them by fascists.

>Most spoke some form of greek
literally language of aristocracy, the ancient analogue of Hapsburg era French
>or hebrew
LMAO

They are relatively isolated languages, geographically. It's a well established fact in linguistics with literally dozens of examples, that when a language zone interacts or butts up against another, it tends to 'simplify' over the span of centuries due to language and culture exchange.

Latin morphed into Italian because all kinds of barbarians settled into the Italian peninsula and had over time learned the language -- hundreds of thousands of them (perhaps millions, over the centuries). Why bother learning every single Latin declension and case systems when you're all Germanic/Gaulish/Greek/Illyrian/Semitic/whatever plebs and understand each other well enough with the root words and a few prefixes/suffixes? Foreigners in general had to learn Latin during the Roman era, too. Languages in general, all of them, tend to 'simplify' over time, and Latin is no different. (It's true some change less, though -- again usually more isolated languages.)

*'Simplifying' of language is itself a complicated process and along the way new complications or irregularities arise. Plus linguistic simplification does not imply dumb-dumb "simple", it's the name for a concept. Basically humans will construct and say things in an easier way if possible. That's why most modern English speakers don't say "I am going to go to the gasoline station on Monday afternoon", they'd say something like "I'm gonna go to the gas station tomorrow afternoon".

Why did modern french replace old french?
If Rome had never fallen, modern Italy would be speaking italian, only calling it modern latin.

interesting. what's the process for a language to hit its peak complexity then?

Fomenko?

the original nordic romans spoke latin but as the population became mixed with arabs and blacks the language slowly degenerated along with them into italian.

this was never funny

Hi T*rroni

Well, it's kind of an arbitrary distinction. One set of features may simplify at the same time that another set of features is getting more 'complicated'.

Perhaps when a civilization is still somewhat isolated but has high levels of religious/philosophical/technical achievement and a stratified class system (priests/oracles/merchants/leaders/warriors/kings need special language to describe and record their specialized knowledge).

Sanskrit (and Pali) is another good example. It is more complicated than classical Latin, and has a lot of language to denote various religious/philosophical/caste concepts, because that's what its speakers considered important at the time. Most (non-Dravidian, i.e. Indo-European) Indian languages are derived from it, and are grammatically simpler in comparison to Sanskrit.

my fucking god wtf

makes sense. I suppose when literacy rates are relatively exclusive the written form would tend a lot more to specialization.

It's practically impossible for a living language to remain static. Latin changed a lot too from the beginning of the republic to the fall of the empire.

no,italian was made up after the unification of italy because pretty much every single village spoke a different language

^

Because you touch yourself at night

Veeky Forums has always been shit, but I find it entertaining

No, dialects vary across regions of course, but that doesn't make them 'other languages'. Modern standard Italian is based on the Tuscan/Florentine dialect.

>Most spoke some form of greek or hebrew
Maybe in like a handful of eastern provinces and explicitly Judea, most Romans spoke Vulgar Latin you retard.

well,but if you take for example modern standard italian and you compare it to venecian or sicilian,the difference is quite big

Because it's a better language

Sardinia-tier

>Not a single mention of Risorgimento

You're all fucking brainlets

What are you basing that comparison on?

They are dialects that branched off from Tuscan earlier on. They are still in the 'Italian' language continuum. They may take some getting used to, but can be learned (deciphered) pretty quick. A different pronunciation on a few sounds, some different words, that's not that hard to understand unless you're a brainlet.

well,no
mattla(sicilian) is completely different from cotone (italian)
falar' is completely different from grembiule(apron)
racina is completely different from uva(grapes)
i could go on for days
also sicilian pust the verbs always in the end,unlike italian

they literally are distinct languages you brainlet. we call them "Italian dialects" but that is a misnomer. many are mutually unintelligible with Italian.

>common people speaking greek
>in Italy
Are you retarded ?
>hebrew
Oh, yes you are.

there were a lot of greek colonies in southern italy
today in some zones of Calabrian they speak a greek dialect called Griko

Again, words/lexicon is not that big a deal when comparing dialects. It's a part of it, yes, but words change all the time. There is more that separates languages than just words.

Anyway, Sicilian is probably the most divergent example.

>the verbs always in the end,
You mean, like in Latin?

>I don't know anything about linguistics but my grandpa sure hates terrone!!

yes

hebrew was a nice touch, excellent bait

I still don't have a clear answer

The Vulgar Latin into Italian is just wrong

>hebrew

youtube.com/watch?v=J6dFEtb06nw

you know there's an italian out there that understands that

boppity boopy

Linguistic change lmao. "Why did Mandarin replace Old Chinese?"

youtube.com/watch?v=f-g3er7P-lM