ITT: your favorite historical states that haven't survived to the modern day and have no successor

I'll start with Livonia

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Golden_Fleece
telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/18/austrias-new-government-stokes-secessionist-row-northern-italy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the Roman Empire

The HRE
The duchy of Burgundy

Siam

What is Thailand

Macedonia

Hittite Empire

Hitler Empire

Brittany. Also Ryukyu.

The last beacon of kindness in our world...

Rhodesia

Why do /pol/tards love a 90% black country so much?

We don't love it because of what it is, but what it could have been

>lake titty caca
>lake poopoo

Apartheid, white supremacists wet dream. That and being able to look at burly men in nutcracker shorts without being suspected of being a homo.

Oh wow there aren't even over 300 Livonian left in the world. Soon they will be extinct.

Top taste, op. I was going to post the Bishopric of Dorpat anyway.

what the fuck is that little dead fox hanging on his neck

>not sure if playing dumb, but ill just be nice and answer the question.
its a sheep.

Livonia was not a nation states of Livonians. It was dominated by Germans, Baltic and Finnic people were mostly peasants

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Golden_Fleece

I almost prefer the russian approach of just renaming every single piece of dirt that had a name once they move in over the germans preserving the names but erasing the memory of the original inhabitants from history as an indirect result.

a fine region, if only it hadn't been next to russians

Königreich Hannover

There was no Apartheid in Rhodesia.

>/pol/
>not /k/
Newfags spotted

Because it wouldn't have been the piece of shit that replaced it

Courland. God I wish it returned!

I cry every time

To be fair it does look more like a fox or even a wolf than a sheep in the wojak version

you might be the only one to think so

if there is scarcely any enthusiasm for a centennial since the declaration of independence, there couldn't be any care for a long dead dukedom

I know Texas lives on, but I really wanted to see a large, independent Texas republic, I don't even care if it would've been a middle east tier oil shithole so long as it's the sole decider in its internal policy.

a weakening of this continent we have done well to avoid

It was a meme but it was something damn it!

/k/ likes it because of the short-shorts, FALs, and general aesthetic of the military.

/pol/ likes it because it's a case that's easy to misconstrue as evidence for their racist ideals being "right."

shit niggers what are you doing

This.

the smaller your division, the weaker your position

Rhodesia was anti-nazi though.

But the closer to representing your will.

If you have somewhere the size of north america trying to compromise, the things you want will be drowned out in a sea of other voices. When there's only ten men in a room, it's a lot easier to get your voice heard.

>/pol/ is ideologically inconsistent
stop the fucking presses

blah blah blah, no

Quebec/New France

>shit niggers what are you doing

Incompetent governments, high levels of impunity and corruption. A partial product of American interventionism and the general disparity of wealth between wealthy landowners and the peasantry.

>Pic somewhat related

New England. We'd me better off without the rest of you backward nigger Americucks and all the fucking sjws the democrats are forced to deal with from the West Coast. New England is by every empirical index and measure the best area of the country (GDP, Literacy, Low Unemployment, Least Religious, Least Crime, etc.)

While I disagree with your reasoning, I more than support New England breaking away from the US and becoming independent, along with California, Texas, the South, that coalition of states near Washington whose name escapes me, and everyone else who wants self determination. We simply can't get along anymore, and if we don't peacefully reduce the power each other has on everyone else, it'll come to blows.

The word you are looking for is Cascadia.

Or you could revert to being a union of states

Also most white.

I support America being divided between Canada and Mexico with an independent Hawaii and Native enclaves littered throughout.

The irony of this goal is whatever party currently in power benefits from having the states united and thus has no interest in restoring power to the individuals, and are the only ones in a position to actually accomplish this. The few who run on such a platform become little more than HAPPENING memes.

Also independent Lousiana/Quebec union as a dominion of France.

I've been to Paris, I've been to Rome
But what did I do but miss my home?
Woah-oh New England!

That's not what I meant
I mean a union that's more decentralized

it doesn't make a difference
any decentralization gets in the way of the ruling party doing what it wants and feeling like it has big balls

accidentally hit post
it also gets in the way of having more money in "campaign contributions" and "speaking fees"

>Incompetent governments, high levels of impunity and corruption. A partial product of American interventionism and the general disparity of wealth between wealthy landowners and the peasantry.

Like every fucking 3rd world country. What are they doing?

sure, it has long been a goal in our history for enemies without to divide us

;_;

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/18/austrias-new-government-stokes-secessionist-row-northern-italy/

Soon, Freunde.

>Livonia
Estonia?

Thrace and Galatia

the tocharians and Crimean goths

But Austria-Hungary has successors, Austria and Hungary.

Macedonia is a country

seleucid empire
the maccabee terrorists ruined everything

>shithole republics a successor to an aristocratic monarchy
"No."

China
It's a shame the legitimate China was destroyed when great Song fell

>Germans starting more trouble

At this point I enjoy the shit they stir. Australia might be an internet shot poster but Germanics are the shit posters of history.

RIP good friend. Your borders were too beautiful for this world.

>Livonian Order
>Teutonic Order
>Duchy of Brandenburg
>Prussia
>Germany

They have succesors bro.

Fuck you, Song were dirty imposters. China ended with the Tang

Iazyges
Himyar

>Burgundy
Good taste desu

agreed

>>Teutonic Order
No they don't

The Tang are LARPers
China died when the Sima clan took power

I hate human nature. It died by its own hand.

There are no successors. Charlemagne, the HRE, the Ottomans, Russia, Finland, all trying to usurp a title that held no tangible weight.

F

yeah bro i love total war attila

by this line the empire ended when it began, with the end of the republic

What sense does it make for them to be separated? They're too small and insignificant that way

No Livonia constituted of Southern Estonia and Northern Latvia (exception of Courland which was a different country)

Maybe ou can say Latvia and Estonia as successors, but it would be shit as most of our Swedes and Germans left because of the war so it wouldn't be the same :(

It doesn't
It was all a result of conflict of the political elite

The Duchy of Prussia was the direct successor, though the Order itself technically survived in name. For Livonian Order it's less straightfoward. Courland did (manage to) follow the example Prussia. Estonia, where the Estate of Knights had always held most sway, pretty much ceeded from the failing Terra Mariana and wanted to join Denmark and ended up gambling for Sweden. The Duchy of Livonia only managed to properly form itself in the image of Estonia after the long wars and they only became dominant in the Landesstaat after 1710.

Courland, Semigallia and Latgalia are also a part of Livonia

The usage and definition of Livonia has changed with time, just as that of Estonia.

In the context of the middle ages, Livonia = Terra Mariana which includes everything from Courland to Estonia. It kept being called Livonia even after the wars which saw the land divided between the neigjboring rising kingdoms. The people still called themselves Livonians (be aware, do not confuse with the Livs). It was only after the Duchy of Livonia was formed and gained prominence with time that the meaning began to shift to mean only the duchy, enforced by the rising national and racial rhetoric of the higher class and the nobility, who started to prefer separation between them and the natives. The term Livonians fell out of used in the 18th century and was replaced by those of Germans and Estonians/Latvians as increasingly ethnically flavoured terms. While the terms had both (not sure about 'Latvians', I'm afraid) been in use in the middle ages, they had mostly lacked such modern ethnic flavours.

The only successors of some kind for the Duchies can br said to be the rather autonomous Landestaat under Imperial Russia and the doomed UBD project of 1918. The national republics of Estonia and Latvia were founded on rather different and modern cencwpts and principles that they can't truly be said to the successors of the Landestaat nor Livonia.

Them again, we are dealing with the timespan of about 700 years and all the people of the times of the Crusades would probably see contemprary polities as alien, so the quesrion is probably moot anyway sans for as a fun academic exercise.

Belgium is clearly the successor to Burgundy though

Where are you from?

Dorpat represent.

>treat native populace like third-class citizens in their own country
>are surprised when they want you out

Me in the red.

I think we can all agree that WWII Hungary and Finland had the best borders

>name change in the 1940s
>country no longer exists and doesn't have any successors now
what did he mean by this?

(you)

>While the terms had both (not sure about 'Latvians', I'm afraid) been in use in the middle ages,

The term Latvian (Letten) was used in medieval sources:

>The red-white-red Latvian flag (German: die Banier der Letten) was first mentioned in the chapters of the Rhymed Chronicle of Livonia (Livländische Reimchronik).

I like how this applies to almost every nation, contemporary or historic, in Eastern Europe.

He's referring to a scenario where modern Macedonians weren't just Slavs LARPing as a people who went extinct in Roman times.