How's the PPE Bachelor Degree?

How's the PPE Bachelor Degree?
(Politics, Philosophy, and Economics)

Combining with a minor and certification in nonprofit management.

sounds foolish to me

>non
>profit

worked for David Cameron, Tony Abbot, and Bill Clinton (okay, Bill dropped out after 2 years).

And why's that?

If you work in nonprofits, you still make an income? Starting salaries are very similar for nonprofit and for-profit work. Nonprofit Directors make a decent wage as well.

I like that the program has a lot of hands on, practical experience. I'll get experience working with management and fundraising before I finish with my degree.

It's fairly easy to find work as a nonprofit manager early on.

I likely won't stay within nonprofit forever, but it's a great foot in the door. I will at least want to sit on boards later on if I'm working within for-profit.

The degree of establishment cuckoldry, go ahead

?

waste of time

And why's that?

>doesn't say why he's getting this degree
>doesn't say who's paying for it, or his current circumstances
>probably just fell for the college meme
kek

There was a article by a guy who did it at Cambridge and he said that unlike other degrees which force you to write a cohesive/extensive thesis on a topic which really immerses you in the disiplince and gives you a great understanding of a subject but also the research process PPE makes you write a series of short mini-theses, you don't have time to investigate each subject properly so instead you work on rhetoric instead of actual understanding.

Now I'm all for learning rhetoric and how to get your point across as quickly as possible, but even if you're a Machiavellian douchebag you still need to have sound and fundamental understandings of whatever industry or area you go into - least you get hoisted by your own petard and fucked in the ass by your own rhetoric.

Just for comparison, Carl Ichan did a degree in Philosophy and his thesis was some pretentious sounding shit like "the explicating of meaning in empirical frameworks" or something - and you can see there is a direct relationship between that thesis (empirical search for meaning and explaining it) and understanding the intrinsic value of companies that are undervalued.

>TL;DR - Doesn't teach you much about researching or in-depth learning, and instead how to superficially get a point across.

fine if you're at an ivy league, otherwise kys

>doesn't say why he's getting this degree

It's broad enough where I can move around fields if I want. I don't want to stay in one job. The degree is mostly for connections and networking. The degree is just a piece of paper, it's how you use it that matters.

>doesn't say who's paying for it, or his current circumstances

I'm paying for it. I'm finishing my associates at a community college right now while I work two jobs, around 40-50 hours a week. I've managed to build my resume up a bit in the meantime.

>probably just fell for the college meme

Nah. Trade school is the future, but for me college is the best option. It's a great foot in the door, and gives me enough flexibility to work my way up in the world.

>I'm paying for it. I'm finishing my associates at a community college right now while I work two jobs, around 40-50 hours a week. I've managed to build my resume up a bit in the meantime.
absolutely wagecuck tier

Transferring to ivy yes

I have fun jobs and make decent money right now. It's the best option. I don't need anything else for now. Nothing wrong with making money while I go through school.

Definitely the best reason against it. I'm not going into a specific area, so that's the reason I think this is a great idea.

The degree in a way seems like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none certification. It has its pros and cons.

>connections and networking
ironically engineering fields are much better when it comes to this.

Not a fan of engineering. It's a great field, but not what I'm looking for. I know what you mean though.

>he

Come on.

I think you've got it ass backwards. Don't go into a degree without a clear idea of at least 5 things you can 100% get out of it.

People will tell you ti figure it out, fuck them. They are probably all failures, or people whom lucked out.

You don't get anywhere in life without a clear trajectory from point A to B.

You're just being cowardly and don't want to put your eggs in one basket, don't complain when you lose all your eggs.

Yes, circumstances will change. You probably WON'T be in the same career for more than 10 years just because of opportunities and unexpected catastrophes, that's all the more reason to plan right now why you're giving 3 years of your life and thousands of dollars to fucking writing short form essays about issues you don't understand to get into a vague hazy idea of a job...?

>inb4 salty directionless failure. Because yes I am, DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!

If your major doesnt have at least one class that applies vector calculus and linear algebra, it might as well be a weekend seminar for all the good it does you

I was looking for something broad. I love politics and economics so it seemed to fit well, something to compliment the nonprofit certification.

Here's my rough draft plan now:
>Finish my associates right now
>Take up chemistry job offer for around 9 months, so that way I start school at the beginning of the year and save up more money. (6 figure salary working on rockets)
>Go through schooling, internships, etc.
>Gradguate
>Start as a nonprofit manager, pretty easy to do
>Work up to nonprofit director somewhere else
>Apply as a project manager/director somewhere, later on. (For-profit)
>Along the way open up some businesses for side cash. (laundromat, car-wash, etc..)
>Maybe open small wine business
>Maybe work as a director somewhere for a city later?

You'll see I'm pretty scattered, but I know where to start. I heard this was a good forum for business, college, and work. I appreciate any advice.

I don't ever want to do ONE thing. This will either be my greatest strength, or my biggest downfall in life. I've always been the jack of all trades, master of none.

Bachelor degrees nowadays are pretty much a dime a dozen.

You're literally better off just going to a trade school, learning some useful skills and then become an apprentice.

You literally can earn over $20 an hour.

I already earn over $20 an hour. I can take a 6 figure salary right now, but that's not the point. If I was just in it for the money, I'd go into sales. It's fulfillment and growth potential why I'm getting a bachelors.

Considered grad school though, but we'll see.

>Buying trade school meme
/pol/fag detected. Though lessened in value considerably from years ago, a technical major is still the best use of your time/money. Just don't fuck up like I did and make sure to get an internship before you graduate. Also don't major in a field just cuz "muh job." If you fucking hate the subject you won't want to work in the field anyway.