Is it possible many archaeological sites were submerged with the sea lvl rise?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/maria-popova/abstracting-atlantis-scie_b_589049.html
sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150722144709.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubljana_Marshes_Wheel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's certain.

However, we're pretty sure that writing was only invented around 3000 BC, so most of the submerged sites would be preliterate societies.

Yes almost certainly. Recent evidence points to the sea level rise at the end of the ice age as having been catastrophically fast so it would have quickly drowned large areas of what then was coast, which is of course where most of the people live. Theres lots of evidence for megalithic structures having been built before the end of the ice age now.

Are you sure?
If some real serious shit happen writing could be lost and well 10k years is enough time for paper, papyrus and hard drives to disappear.
Just reminder that Bronze Age Collapse also lost writings for some time and it was not collapse on that scale.

Nigger if a society advanced even to the industrial age they would've been able to leave at least some remanent of civilization, even after a collapse.

Yes. That said, OP's photo is widely believed to be natural in origin and the dearth of evidence to the contrary suggests that'll always be the case.

More importantly they would have left behind tons of glaswork, metals and buildings of concrete if they advanced that far.

There is no way ops pic is of natural origin

T. Graham hancock

yeah dude, necessarily. Archaeology is pretty broad, just imagine what would be lost of ours if the sea levels rose 100 meters in 25 years.

We'd lose a lot of immediate architecture, and MAYBE a few million would die from loss of agriculture.
But beyond that it wouldn't make a huge difference to the world.

Hell, it'd almost be a good thing as parts of Africa would become more fertile, and more coastal areas would be able to do water agriculture, as the soil under water would be good for it.

>be able to do water agriculture, as the soil under water would be good for it.

no, I mean archaeologically. Doing things underwater is hard.

"Atlantis" was in the South China Sea.

I don't know much about agriculture
but i'm referring to something like the Aztecs did

Of course. The flood of Noah buried everything under 8000 feet of water, and when it receded, only part of the world was left submerged.

haha silly, it was clearly in the Caribbean. Alternatively it could easily be just where Plato said it was.

I’ll agree that archeological evidence of the Solutrean migration to the N.America is hidden under the ocean along the U.S. Atlantic coast but there’s nothing to support any kinda more advanced civilization in the Caribbean.

Civilizations arise along river drainage basins, not along sea coasts.

>advanced even to the industrial age
not necessary for civilization or writing

In 1985, Kihachiro Aratake, a diver from Japan and the director of the Yonaguni-Cho Tourism Association, was diving in the waters off the Southern shore of Yonaguni island and discovered something unusual. Upon inspection, it appeared to be a man-made, terraced structure. Believing he had discovered a sunken city, Aratake announced his discovery, but there was not much interest. Later, in 1996, Professor Masaaki Kimura , a professor at the University of the Ryukyus, began to survey the structure. While Kimura maintains that the site is evidence for an advanced prehistoric civilization, others argued that the structure was the result of natural phenomena. Research in the ensuing years has arrived at a consensus that the structure is indeed a man made monolith carved from a natural formation.

>Research in the ensuing years has arrived at a consensus that the structure is indeed a man made monolith carved from a natural formation.
sauce

you'd have to be the biggest genetic loser of your grade to be fucking kicked out into the americas like that.

There has been hard evidence of farming found next to the sea of Galilee from 23,000 fucking years ago.

The time between now and the first acknowledged city is less than 6000 years.

To get to the first (so far) example of farming, you have to go back four fucking times that amount of time. Between that time and the rise of the sea levels is twice the amount of time between us and the first known city.

The scale of time is fucking massive here, I am certain that civilization has started at least once between 40,000 and 10,000 years ago. You have modern humans with the ability to farm and a virtually infinite amount of time for it to happen.

I believe Egypt, the Jomon, and Latin American civilizations of the past have some relation to these remote past civilizations.

Their genetics lives on in the Ojibwe people and general tribes of the northeast.

Mitochondrial group X2a and R1 should not be appearing in native American tribes from east asia.

>but there’s nothing to support any kinda more advanced civilization in the Caribbean.

Strongly disagree. The best argument against it so far is "It would have to be 10,000 years old, that's too old"

Where are these? Are there higher resolution images or something outlining features? I see a lot of right angles but it's hard to parse what I'm looking at.

What about this?

That is noticeably less artificial looking.

huffingtonpost.com/maria-popova/abstracting-atlantis-scie_b_589049.html

ignore the fact HP think these 4500-8000 ya ruins are Mayan

Personally after looking at Teotihuacan (spelling?) I believe the Mayans or their predecessors were a much much older civilization than we've been led to believe. Those structures are mindblowing, and the amount of earth that covered those pyramids is indicative of very advanced age.

>we think
No evidence. Only opinions for now.
>older civilization
Of course. The craddle of civilization in mesoamerica happened between 3000BC-2500BC, meanwhile in 10000BC middle-east, the earliest urban settlements showed up AKA civilizations.

>more coastal areas would be able to do water agriculture, as the soil under water would be good for it.

>this entire thread
Holy shit. Am I sharing this board with eurangutans with less than 140 IQ score?

>The craddle of civilization in mesoamerica happened between 3000BC-2500BC,

Yeah, and the earliest farming was 12,000 years ago.......oh wait it actually was 23,000 years ago.

And the earliest megalithic site is stonehenge a few thousand years ago... oh wait it's actually Gobekli Tepe at 12,000 years ago.

And the first bronze working was with the Sumerians....Oh wait it was actually the Vincas.

When are you wiener cleaners going to realize that it's mostly guesswork and you're repeatedly proven wrong at your dating? Why should anyone take current dates seriously when they're so often proven wrong by double the previous estimates?

>consumption of future crops=farming
>megalithic sites=urban plannification
>bronze working having to do with anything of this topic
God, why are this people so stupid?

It was farming, hard evidence of purposeful agriculture. planting and harvesting of crops is found at the sea of Galilee 23,000 years ago.

Megalithic sites are megalithic sites, stonehenge is not a city you fuckhole.

Bronze working is older than we initially thought, just like everything else.

The narrative of human progress is not a hard science, it is constantly being revised, almost everything happened earlier than we thought 20, 10 or even 5 years ago.

I think its certainly plausible. Finding concrete evidence would be such an uphill battle

post sources pls
you're making some radical claims

Google it, this isn't reddit. If you don't know at least about Vinca culture and Gobekli Tepe you need to go to a board more your speed.

I'll give you a little leg up because you might need it.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150722144709.htm

>grain plants found on settlement suppose a difference of 11000 years for the origin of agriculture
>possibility of agriculture
The earliest hints of potential-crop consumption is supposed to be near 18000BC, now the dates could be 3000 years old earlier? What a change!
>stonehenge is not a city
And you just showed how you spout irrelevant bullshit every post.
>if x is y, then z is y too!
Retarded analogy, the same as the "futurist" extrapolating "science" reporters.

It's already well known. Crop development allowed the plants to be more efficient for humans and led to the neolithic revolution as it made it possible for a higher population density, and one of its consequences is civilization.

See?
There is already evidence of grain consumption and cultures adopting that diet earlier than antelian cultures. Yet these people claim that agriculture started 11000 years ago. Why the hell did they say that?

There is 0% chance that is man made. The places of the ledges seem completely arbitrary. That doesn't happen in human architecture.

Likely formed by means similar to devil's tower or the sheepeater cliffs (both in Wyoming)

Neccessary for hard drives though, obviously

Columnar basalt

>the vincas
what the fuck Serbians invented writing 2000 years before Sumerians?

Probably worth pointing out that sea level rise is not the only way sites can get submerged -- land can subside as well.

I know they have the earliest known bronze working, haven't looked into their writing system.

t-this

God calm down, you're taking this so personally.

Kooky. See this is the shit I'm talking about.

The idea was that Sumerians were the first to use writing and bronze working, turns out people from the Balkans did.

dude
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubljana_Marshes_Wheel

Why isn't this shit more known? The earliest civilizations were in Europe and we're still telling people it's Sumer?

Because it's over 5000 years old? Wood tends to rot pretty quickly outside of very specific conditions that make preservation more likely. Then consider that they were probably not using much more then stone tools/weapons with maybe some bronze here and there and you have a perfect recipe for an easily forgettable civilization. Not everybody built things out of brick and marble.

>>Then consider that they were probably not using much more then stone tools/weapons with maybe some bronze here and there
Whoops, never mind this bit, they were probably using more then just some copper/bronze. More like a whole lot of copper/bronze.

Oh not like that, I mean in school

>they were probably not using much more then stone tools/weapons
oldest copper smelting site in the world in Serbia, whatever

Yes I know, that's why I posted this.Probably because it has little relevance to most kids learning how to read, write, and do arithmetic.

I totally learned about Sumerians being the first writers and metalworkers in school dude.

All depends when you learned that, compared to the time of those latest discoveries.
Unfortunately, changes in curriculum and mainstream history books of early history are much less likely to happen than with modern history (where narrative can change along with politics), as those responsible for that are usually people who are likely old enough to not want any changes from what they learned.

ancient berigina settlements

Do not forget SUPER CHAD.
Never forget super Chad.

To be honest is not a good comparison with the yonaguni monument

this really needs to be screencaped for His /history

Read the sticky, faggot. You need to go to a board more YOUR speed. I am thinking /x/

Source?

>arrived at a consensus
>consensus
the actual consensus is that shale erodes like this all the time

>and more coastal areas would be able to do water agriculture, as the soil under water would be good for it.
This is stupid on so many levels my brain hurts just trying to make it coherent

>more coastal areas would be able to do water agriculture
>the soil under water would be good for it
>salt water
>good for agriculture

My favourite is the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, which killed 10s of thousands of people in portugal, and has this great anecdote:

>After the catastrophe, Joseph I developed a fear of living within walls, and the court was accommodated in a huge complex of tents and pavilions in the hills ofAjuda, then on the outskirts of Lisbon. The king'sclaustrophobianever waned, and it was only after Joseph's death that his daughterMaria I of Portugalbegan building the royalAjuda Palace, which still stands on the site of the old tented camp.

wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

They were. We don't know if Vinca script can be considered a real writing. Some time ago they found some neolithic symbols from China that were even older than Vinca script.

>Jiahu symbols (Chinese: 賈湖契刻符號; pinyin: Jiǎhú qìkè fúhào) refer to the 16 distinct markings on prehistoric artifacts found in Jiahu, a neolithic Peiligang culture site found in Henan, China, and excavated in 1999. The Jiahu site dates to 6600 BC. The archaeologists who made the original finds believed the markings to be similar in form to some characters used in the much later oracle bone script (e.g. similar markings of 目 "eye", 日 "sun; day"), but most doubt that the markings represent systematic writing.[1] A 2003 report in Antiquity interpreted them "not as writing itself, but as features of a lengthy period of sign-use which led eventually to a fully-fledged system of writing."

It's a quarry not a structure, there are no entrances or anything.

Indeed.

> We already know all we'll ever need to know!...

They didn't they try to suppress this, or was it just speculation?

Best examples are the missing temples in india, one of them became visible furing the last major tsunami when the seafloor was pulled away

That was made by a giant you fool.

The legendary but real city of Dwarka

Tell me more user.
Tell me some cool stories.

This Er Lannic in Brittany, France.
It was built way back in the day when all the other megalithic structures were constructed.
As you can see, the sea level was a little lower back then.
>PROTIP: Stone Age Europeans didn't built underwater
Say something nice about him.

how is this even a question? Ofcourse coastal sites have been lost to the sea this is basic knowledge

The most probable explanation is the bering migration origin.

Nah user.
It was build by sea people and it get on land when sea floor raised.

European colonization after the discovery of America.

Solutrean is a meme. There are other, more likely explanations.

"Temples" from 8th century CE. Hardly an unknown civilization.

saved

Yeah, but we probably would see pottery and metalworking all over.

I think so.
There is ceramic from much earlier than 10000BC in China.

Copper doesn't really oxidize, and you see copper working before you see ironworking.

>ceramic objects like the Gravettian culture Venus of Dolní Věstonice figurine discovered in the Czech Republic date back to 29,000–25,000 BC,[3] and pottery vessels that were discovered in Jiangxi, China, which date back to 18,000 BC
wtf I'm retarded