You fuckers told me this machine was shit. I tried it today after doing squats and holy shit it's amazing...

You fuckers told me this machine was shit. I tried it today after doing squats and holy shit it's amazing. I feel the exercise in my quads so distinctly, squats are shit by comparison. I'm keeping DLs in my routine and I'm probably going to do baby weight squats still as a warmup but this is my main leg exercise from now on.

obviously if ur doing an exercise for the first time ur gonna feel it in ur muscles thats the same for everything.

fuck you I'm sick of the squat meme, it's over, mark rippetoe is a fucking hack

I do both leg press and squats. I like the look of large quads, and I feel as though the leg press is almost entirely quad focused, while the squats do my whole posterior chain.

ever wonder why dudes who struggle to squat 3 plates can squat 7 plates on that machine?

I don't have the heel mobility for Squats, so I substitute them for deadlifts, and do a lot of high leg presses. I think I more or less get the same workout.

Didleys are the most efficient exercise DESU. Stiff legs on leg day, traditional DLs on back day.

okay skelly enjoy your nogains

Cat-3 road racer here,
There's no real *direct* correlation between squat weight and leg press weight, but you can approximate it. You end up doing a significantly higher amount of weight with leg press than squats because of:
a. Your bodyweight
b. Specific weaknesses between your shoulders and your ankles

Leg press is *safer* than squats by a longshot, and you can do more sets and more reps per set on a leg press sled than you can do sets of squats.

Unless you're a powerlifter or olympic weightlifter there's no real reason to take the risk of doing squats.
Additionally not everyone can even do squats correctly; not everyone has (or can get) the flexibility to do them correctly, and not everyone's spine is so perfectly aligned to do them properly or safely.

Conclusion: Squats are, to a certain extent, a MEME. It's only stupid pointless pride that forces you into doing squats. Seriously, you're not really impressing anyone.

I mean I know squats are a more technically complex exercise, use more stabilizers and engage your entire posterior chain. I just really fucking dislike them and have mile long femurs so they're really uncomfortable to do.

I already explained that here:

Source or just broscience?

It could also be the additional muscles worked, and having all that weight on your back. Gets the T flowing man when you're in the hole and you gotta dig deep to get that shit up.

Injuries are memes. Bros at my gym deadlift and squat big ass weight with shit form every fucking day and they don't get hurt. No one gets hurt, no one's ever gotten hurt, you won't get hurt.

okay dummie enjoy your pointlessly dangerous meme exercise
>you have to prove you're a REAL MAN by doing the most dangerous things possible!
LOL how insecure can you get

I'm a cat-3 road racer and know what I'm talking about. You're probably like a cat-1 off-roader at best, so shut the fuck up.

witness here the mindset of the beta, so deep in his cuckshed that he can longer conceptualise being a man

It's a simple, logical analysis. I've been doing leg press for 8 years as part of my Fall training and I have legs like a mutant beast. I have the overall flexibility to do freebar squats and can do them with proper form, but the curvature of my thoracic spine is such that it sticks out too much and no matter what I do the bar ends up crushing the vertebra at anything over 1 plate. Therefore I don't do them, because I really don't want to end up a cripple. Meanwhile I can load 10-plate on a 45 degree leg press and do 3 sets of 20 in the last weeks of my Fall strength training. I really don't see how squats would be any more effective regardless.

Stop impersonating me, faggot.

t. insecure manlet

well for you they wouldn't be. squats are, and have always been, optional. but for lifters with under 3 or so years of training they are great because they hit many different muscles and translate as functional strength (meme).

OP here, this is basically what I was thinking. Squatting in the weight range between 135-165 seems fun and fine but it really seems smarter to do squats at weight ranges between 135 and 165 as warmup/flexibility work and then do leg press for your main quad gains.

>but for lifters with under 3 or so years of training they are great because they hit many different muscles and translate as functional strength
Yes, but: Only if they have the flexibility to do them properly (or will take the time to GET the flexibility, or to discover they can't), and if someone experienced can coach them to do them PROPERLY. Poorly executed squats will fuck you up, and having to back up and break bad habit and learn new ones will set you back weeks or months. Hell, I've even had to correct guys doing goddamned leg press incorrectly (feet too far apart, toes pointing out, knees flagging all over the place). Without the proper prerequisites and without proper form, you're wasting your time with any form of strength training.

i only use that machine for one legged leg press.
because my balance is too shit to do pistol squats.

ok

Squats and leg press are simply a matter of preference. So long as you're using good form, using progressive overload and just training your legs in general, it really doesn't matter whether the squat or the leg press is your main leg builder.

This is bullshit.
Every time I do leg press, I always get lower back pain. I know why, my hips shoot out from under me and my butt is no longer flat on the seat. No matter what angle I put on the seat, I have the same problem. Even if I put my feet different on the leg press, I still get that lower back pain when I go low enough.

However, every time I squat ATG, no back pain. My ankle mobility is fine when I squat but it's shit when I leg press and I don't understand that.

Leg press is a meme in that everyone brags about how much they leg press because apparently fucking every one can leg press 1000 lbs. It's a completely retarded exercise.

>Every time I do leg press, I always get lower back pain. I know why, my hips shoot out from under me and my butt is no longer flat on the seat. No matter what angle I put on the seat, I have the same problem.
You clearly have a lumbar spine flexibility problem, and you probably don't do ATG squats, you MAYBE go to parallel, and your back rounds some regardless because of the lack of lumbar flexibility. Meanwhile I have the backrest as far up as it'll go and my knees go down to about 8 inches from my chest every rep. Sorry you have problems but you're a corner-case, not at all representative of the norm.

Oh and you're also likely to have inflexible hamstrings and glutes. Do you have a job where you sit all day?

>feel
>exercise
Never gonna make it

post a video of your squat. you're probably butt-wink city as fuck

No. I even get my buddy to make sure I go ATG and he confirms it. Plus, I know I do because the bar almost hits the saftey bar and my hamstrings touch my ankles.

And I don't sit all day either.

Can you get butt wink and no lower back pain? I thought they were a cause and effect thing?

Then you're lying about one thing or the other.

honestly it's ok to have a bit of butt wink as long as you aren't experiencing pain, but watch yourself squat on video and work on your mobility if you notice it

I've been working on ankle mobility, rolling my legs and back, and stretching for about a month and a half before exercising. I've seen improvment.
The last time I leg pressed was before I started stretching my ankles. I guess I will try it tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

t. skelly mcskellington

>get made fun of for doing leg press and not squats
>have a damaged spine and cant support the weight on my shoulders and back without pain

Jesus christ this thread has convinced me that Veeky Forums is full of retards who have only been lifting for three months

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING SQUAT UNLESS YOU ARE A POWERLIFTER

The circlejerk around squats is fucking ridiculous

what if i told you that anything worth doing doesnt feel easy ?

Ever wondered that no one gives a fuck about how much you squat Mr neckbeard/?

itt: weak skellys make excuses because squats are hard

ever heard of front squat? this is why almost every person rotates between high bar (posterior) and front (quads/core) every workout

>I don't have the heel mobility for Squats

lmao pathetic

Veeky Forums unfairly shits on leg press.
>leg exercise
>"it's shit because it puts all the weight on your legs!"
Guys, listen to yourselves. Hating leg press is a mental disorder.

Leg press targets quads or glutes/hamstrings based on foot placement.
Feet at the bottom of the pad = quads
Top of the pad = glutes/hamstrings

just do both

Post bodypic you faggot

Tfw skelly and squat over my weight anyway :^)

Joining in, you have to focus on keeping your butt planted. Start with no weight, set of 8, add a plate, set of 8 etc until you get to your working weight. I've found that it's easier to stay planted when you can handle the weight, but when it get heavy people start bouncing it and lifting their butt to gather momentum

does changing the angle of the seat change anything

woo big deal mr cat3 road racer. I am an esports professional with a cat6 lan cable. who is the tough guy now ?

>incorrectly
Wide foot placement will target the inner quads. Narrow foot placement will target the outer quads. Both are correct.

As for toes, your knees are supposed to track out over them, so having them point outward slightly, based on the width of your stance, is proper form.

>bragging about cat6
>not beta testing cat8

Tbh squats aren't required.

They're the simplest and most effective way to build lower body strength.

But I recently switched to doing heavy deads followed by DB lunges and leg press on leg day. I'm curious to see how my legs look and whether my squat will either go down a little or whither away.

>high bar
The fag's favorite