Alright Veeky Forums I'm the guy from yesterday attempting to reach 5k distance in a month. Today I did my first run

Alright Veeky Forums I'm the guy from yesterday attempting to reach 5k distance in a month. Today I did my first run.

After just two minutes of jogging my lungs felt like they were on fire and I couldn't breath properly. My legs felt like I could keep running but everything became harder the longer I went. I ended up walking at a 'brisk' pace for around an hour. I rested for a while and then repeated the process which yielded the same results. So the current problem seems to be my breathing. My lungs just collapse to quickly on me. How can I fix my breathing so I can in turn jog longer without feeling like my lungs have dried out?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Fitness-Tracker-XX-Large/dp/B007S088F4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483936306&sr=8-3&keywords=heart+rate+monitor&th=1&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Uhhh 'fix' your problems by running more. Eat, sleep, do it again. You'll go further before you tire out. That's how this works.

jog more

Do couch 2 5k and you'll be able to do it in 9 weeks

I'm guessing people already gave you that advice in your last thread, but being the retard you are, you ignored it.

Focus breath from the diaphragm, not the upper chest.

JUST DO IT

I didn't ignore it at all, which is why I'm jogging now. I'm following the steps but I'm trying to push myself harder than I probably should. My muscles are working fine but my breathing is terrible. I need a way to fix my breathing.

lungs burning = out of shape. Try not to think about running distances, but doing a set amount of time instead. Break these times up in to intervals, and walk in between, all while timing. May sound ridiculous, but with your current limit you're going to need to take it slow. Try to run at least 4 days of the week when you first start out. good luck brother, you'll be surprised by the gains you make right away when you start to run consistently.
t. used to be fast

I'm currently weighing in at 176 pounds. I'm athletic in build and have a visible muscle structure because I work a physically demanding job. I don't understand why my breathing is so poor when I'm constantly moving. Granted, I'm not always jogging but still. I'll take your advice.

Do you also just breath through your nose? I tried this and couldn't seem to get enough oxygen in me.

For the most part, yes. If you're really out of breath and panting, you may have to catch your breath through the mouth, but always try to avoid it if possible. Plus mouth breathing makes you lose body moisture quicker, leading to faster dehydration and fatigue.

Having a dry throat is constantly a problem and believe me I'm drinking all the time while running but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm going to try jogging for a full hour tomorrow and I'll post results here. It's kind of crazy how you can have a body that looks in shape like mine yet crumble after just two minutes of very light jogging. It sucks. I'm going to keep at it though until I can push myself.

You'll have no problem getting fit enough to run a 5k in a month then, and the breathing difficulty (aside from being out of running shape) could result from
1. A change in temperature that causes your lungs to tighten, sounds like bullshit but happened to me when i changed climates
2. Exercised induced asthma, not likely
3. You're developing a cold atm
Best advice i ever heard on breathing is just try to get air any way you can. Try to breath through your nose and mouth, don't limit it to one or the other.

I live in Texas. A week ago it was 88 degrees and was around 40 when I was jogging.

it doesn't matter what you weigh or look like, you're out of shape. but it doesn't take long to get out of the stage where your lungs are the limiting factor. Really the only way to learn to do it right is to do it many, many, many times.

my first run was hell. i stupidly went with my dog and got really angry when she wanted to keep running and i was out of breath. also have asthma so i had to carry the puffer with me. the first times i couldnt go more than a few minutes. that's why you try to do the couch to 5k, but odds are youll improve much faster. first week i ran 2 minutes walked 3 minutes for about 1-2k. then i upped it to 3k for a few weeks then after a month and a week i finally did my 5k. it just happened out of no where i had the most energy i had ever felt and even after my run i was so pumped i wasn't tired. it shouldn't take you 9 weeks to get to 5k (unless youre actually fat and your weight is an obstacle), i believe you can do it. don't go less than 3 times a week and you should be getting a good tolerance in no time. the worst part is the thing you have to get over to improve though. even when you're downright suffering you have to push yourself a little more. once the boundary is pushed than you can successfully go longer than previously done before
good luck user i believe in you

Thanks man. I have to do this no matter what so even if it means jogging every single day that's what I'm going to do. I have a high pain tolerance so that isn't going to be an issue at least. I'll post updates tomorrow. My legs already hurt haha and I can still feel my lungs punishing me for moving further than ten feet at a time to quickly, but this is a good thing. My dad use to tell me 'if it hurts, it's working' in reference to medicine so maybe it applies here too.

These are solid points. EIA occurrs to some extent in all athletes in very cold weather.

EIA?

You fucking just run you retard. Keep running like Forrest Gump and you'll acclimate.

Alright.

You can do it, you just need to relax and keep chipping away at the distance. Aerobic activity like runnning/swimming should leave you feeling energized after doing it.

Don't push it too hard too early, just incrementally go farther, longer while relaxing and controlling your breathing.

If you can buy a cheap heart rate monitor it will be really easy to know exactly how hard you are exerting yourself. Asking /fit for advice when you are a begginer or out of shape is just asking for insults.

amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Fitness-Tracker-XX-Large/dp/B007S088F4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483936306&sr=8-3&keywords=heart+rate+monitor&th=1&psc=1

Fucks sake just run, this is a non issue

couch 2 5K
or
Zombies run 5k app

make sure you're going slow, like super-slow, slower than you think. if your lungs are on fire and your heart feels like it's going to explode you're going way the fuck too fast.

you should going at a speed and exertion level where you can still maintain a conversation