Richard the French-at-heart

Why is he always portrayed as a thoroughly English character in all adaptations? Just because he fought France? All this despite the likelihood he didn't speak English and spent alot of time not in England. I mean the only thing English about him is by birth and grandmother.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Neckam
youtube.com/watch?v=MaMyFe6sPRg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Richard the Lionheart was the most English man of all time.

It's propaganda, he needs to look good to legitimize the Plantagenets and make his brother look even worse.

Also he was an honorable crusader, but that has nothing to do with being English.

Because he was born in England. He is English. English wasn't even the standardized language of England at the time.

He spent 6 months in England in his whole lifetime.

But that's like saying 1st generation indians born in England are English

Always make me laugh when Robin Hood protrays him as the savior of England when he was really a Frenchmen who couldn't speak a word of English and did a shit job as king

This. He was a shit king who taxed the fuck out of England to fund his fruitless crusades and his petty wars in France

I'd let him off on the whole french thing as many English today are descended from normans and speak many french originated words

>Year of our Lord 2018
>people gossip on a Laos air hockey forum
>"King of England" hon hon he was French
>He only went to England to be crowned
>The weather was so bad he went on Crusade
>Sure you owned half of France
>But you grew up in momma's court
>You wanted to be a hero like in the troubadours songs
>You were really Occitanian

Yeas OP, I just learned this a few months ago. Also, all the plantagenant Kings and nobility spoke french. The first to speak English was Henry Bollingbroke, son of John Guant. He defeated and had Richard II starved to death.

only his mother was occitan

Spent his time in France, and on crusades. Much ofFrance was conquered by England. He was only hailed a good king bc he was a crusader.
He got captured and taxed the hell out of the people to pay his people to pay for his wars and ransom. He spoke French

Whose court in Bordeux he grew up in, and ruled from as Duke before Henry II died and left him England and most of Northern France.

Your first mistake was the assumption that what you think of as French is what people living 800 years ago thought. It wasn't

>While his father visited his lands from Scotland to France, Richard probably spent his childhood in England. His first recorded visit to the European continent was in May 1165, when his mother took him to Normandy.[13] His wet nurse was Hodierna of St Albans, whom he gave a generous pension after he became king.

so an english wet nurse and spent his formative years in fair england

So he was born and lived in the English countryside sucking Saxon titties. That was most of the aristocracy of the realm.

No you assume I do however

Saying Richard was French is like saying an American is English

Youre wrong, but I no longer care to waste time arguing with you.

>Much of France was conquered by England
*much of France was inherited by the King of England
The hundred years war came later user.

That's actually a damn good analogy

not really an argument, but much of England and French monarchs and nobility held titles in both place at the time.

The nurse is more important than you think. I suppose he was allowed to play with her son and learned their speak. Her son is this guy en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Neckam

>Born on 8 September 1157 in St Albans, Alexander shared his birthday with King Richard I. For this reason, his mother, Hodierna of St Albans, was hired by the royal household under Henry II to serve as a wet nurse for the future monarch. As a result, Alexander was raised as Richard's foster-brother in their early years

It is clear young Richard was groomed to be English from young age.

Indeed user herre herre

Just making clear that it's not 'England' ruling France or vice versa, it's like a family's inheritance

That's something I was aware of, why assume I don't know that? You're going have a bedtime you eternal malcontent

Except he didn't speak English so his wet nurse probably used sign language or some shit

Are you talking to yourself?

As I know sir, as I know
Instead of being hostile a discussion could occur

Yea I'm on my phone sadly mate

What the heck is with your name?

Maybe he used English only when he cursed or when he mingled with the low classes.

>Maybe he used English only when he cursed

>wet nurse
I'm ok with this concept :3

I'm French and we're taught that he was English, no matter what. Many kings were not related to their country anyway, I don't see the problem.

The French and English of the era are far removed from their modern forms anyway, it's pedantry

>he was born in england so he is english but mohammad mohammed and jeffery nzingu are not

>I'm French and we're taught that he was English, no matter what.
Are the French just taught to hate anything remotely English. Take William the conqueror, French in pretty much everyway except for being king of England. Let me guess they teach you he was an evil english overlord of rightful french clay

>William the conqueror
Actually I was taught he was a French who became king of England, hence "conqueror".

Chek. Also why are you taught Richard was English?

I don't know, Richard is an English name and maybe our teachers had Robin Hood in mind.

Apparently he probably spole English

And given he was born and raised in England by alongside the English it's extremely likely he learned English quite well. After all he was third son of Henry II so he wasn't expected to inherit the throne

>I was taught he was a French who became king of England
I watched a French documentary on 'Guillaume' the other day, and they said that "the English still gather to mourn their Anglo-Saxon hero every year"
I've never heard of this at all, though I know there are re-enactments of the Battle of Hastings
As far as I'm aware it's seen in an indifferent or positive light, and a moment when Britain was drawn much closer to continental Europe

youtube.com/watch?v=MaMyFe6sPRg

In England few people see the battle of Hastings as a loss (well assuming they care). Most English (who care) probably identify with both sides due to mixed ancestry

It indeed seems that most nobles at the time learned English not only out of necessity, but naturally. The common misconception arises from the fact that French was used as an official language among the nobility. Ironically it's a common misconception made about an apocryphal claim that all English kings spoke English which happened to be true to some extent

Well holy shit, i was always told he didn't speak English and hated England

>Many kings were not related to their country anyway
95% of France's kings were French/Frank. 80% of HRE states in the german part were ruled by germanics. Most of Scandinavia's kings were Scandinavian. Leon/Castille/Aragons kings were homegrown for halfish of their existence. The few times the Italian city states were actually independent they were usually ruled by Italians. Hungary was ruled by Magyars for 300ish years. Poland was ruled by Polish for 400ish years.

It is mostly just England and balkan shitholes that have been cucked for most of their existence.

England can't trust a fellow Englishman to rule them so they import monarchs