Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I want to start boxing or Muay Thai

Anyone here got any experience in either?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UC3p5XucSRzdopmAdST2wDGQ
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMB_vKpRa6I5us2KM2x9GURjLc_9GnfNx
youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3
youtube.com/watch?v=gB-9L6UgZ_o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

did 1.5y of boxing a few years ago. was quite fun I gotta say dont really remember why I stopped. it is quite hard compared to something like soccer. in soccer you can chill a lot whereas my boxing trainer always had us moving... all the time. When we had time between exercises we were told to jump in place. Mostly went like this:

>warming up by running for 20-30min at moderate pace
>jump rope for a bit
>technique training in small groups or 1on1 with the instructor mostly consisting of pad work, shadowboxing, movement training or other technical stuff like head movement
>bag work for a while until it gets kinda hard to hold your hands up because your shoulders burn
>short break then sparring usually full contact in the ring with headgear and thick gloves.
>some more bag work or technical stuff or whatever depending on if you have clear weaknesses
>more strength based stuff like situps, crunches, burpees, pullups and other bodyweight stuff
>running for a bit as cooldown

coudlve forgotten sth because it has been a while but that was basically it I think. fun stuff but it is hard I gotta say especially if you have bad cardio it will fuck you up the first few times.

Yeah man, I've been taking Muay Thai classes for about 6 months desu family it's a lot of fun.

is it hard to do muay thai and lifting together ? how often do you lift a week and did you ever have recovery problems ? I am thinking of starting Muay Thai or Kickboxing and I am worried I would have to cut down on my lifting. Currently I train 4x a week.

Nah, I'm also a welder so my day consists of a lot of strenuous activity before I even get to class

I count Muay Thai as my cardio;
Monday- Muay Thai (light legs at the gym)
Tuesday- chest and back
Wednesday Muay Thai
Thursday shoulders and legs
Friday get drunk
Saturday get drunk
Sunday arms and legs again

Fought for almost 12 years, boxing and MT. What do you want to know?

Not gonna lie I've been putting it off (Muay Thai)

Me and my friend are starting next week. Pretty nervous.

What do I expect?

I've been doing Muay Thai for 5 years now, if you want to become a human weapon you should go for Thai without hesitation

Learn from youtube when possible, usually instructors aren't bad but they are not top champions either. Don't take their word as law, boxers and muay thai fighters fight very differently.

Lastly, just because some guy is killing it on pads or heavy bag doesn't mean they can kick your ass in sparring. It's a whole 'nother world when you're facing a real live human bean.

And I'm going to be real with you. All this I've said as a guy who went to one of the worst "muay thai" gyms on Earth and currently practices on his own with a heavy bag, a double ended bag, an open space, and youtube subscriptions to various martial arts channels.

I did MT for 3 years. Started as a hobby became semi-pro and became national champ in my weight division before I got bored and switched to weightlifting. If you have questions I'd be glad to answer.

can you recommend some YT channels you think are good/usefull ?

Just listen to your instructor and you'll be fine,
expect alot of cardio,
wear non restrictive clothing
If they are teaching you how to kick or punch properly try it slower before trying it at full speed.

Expect to be doing endless cardio, because being fit is what will get you over the line in a fight more often than not. Expect some bruises and bumps, especially as a beginner when you have no idea how to defend yourself and you're still all soft. Expect to feel uncoordinated and slow for a while, compared to the regulars.

Also expect to have heaps of fun learning techniques, getting fitter/faster/stronger and getting that sweet satisfaction from seeing yourself progress. If you commit to learning and practising fully, it's one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do.

Don't listen to that faggot. You're gonna start with a light warmup, your coach will show you how to stand in your fighting stance, how to throw your basic 1,2,3 punch combo and maybe a kick or two. You're paying to learn how to fight, not get in shape. Sorry I took long to reply I'm washing my truck

youtube.com/channel/UC3p5XucSRzdopmAdST2wDGQ

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMB_vKpRa6I5us2KM2x9GURjLc_9GnfNx

youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3

Lastly, type in "[INSERT TOP CHAMPION BOXER] shadowboxing" in youtube and copy it. I learned so much from that. Preferably the slavic ones. The more slavic the better.

Forget youtube trainers until you've gotten the basics down pat, 100%. Even then, don't bother with much of their advice other than bag/sparring/pad routines and the odd trick here n there to add to your skillset. Try out their ideas and see what works for you, but don't use it as a subsitute for proper training if you want to progress or actually fight at some point

I boxed for around 10 years and competed for around 7. The boxing scene seems to be almost completely non white due to the locations of all the gyms that are worth a anything. So if being solely around blacks and mestizos bothers you I wouldnt waste your time. Seriously at most gyms I was the only white guy that trained. It can be pretty monotonous like most combat sports are. It can also be very exciting. My take on this is if you want a more serious experience go find a boxing gym that competes. If you want a more casual experience go muay thai or mma, since those places at least mma gyms can be extremely casual even if they compete. Also its very dangerous to box, the risk of getting brain damage in amateur boxing far exceeds football.

The only problem with that is trying to do half the shit they do without understanding and feeling how or why it's actually done. You can shadowbox and look impressive but if you're not understanding how the head/foot movement is tying in with the punches and feints then you're not learning or developing shit.

JT Van is pretty crisp, you can see he actually boxed. That asian dude who runs expertboxing.com is trash

Don't listen to anyone on this thread unless they post their fighting awards or even equipment

It's not rocket science. Let me guess you're this guy I found it funny as fuck reading this.

You got these popular and skilled trainers explaining every detail of how and why and you just say "nah don't do it until you know how and why first". Really made me lol.

To OP, look at the youtube vids. Why? Because even top competitors ANALYZE other fighters from their past fights watching them on tape, just like you can.

Trucks are for girls unless you actually haul shit regularly or go 4 wheeling

Or if you live a in a rural shithole that can't go one year without having big ass pot holes on the road and have to go on dirt roads a lot.

I'm a welder in Texas, I live on a ranch.. I really need it

And you're comparing someone who has never trained before with professionals who have trained and fought since they were children, who analyze other professionals to find things they can exploit. They aren't watching to learn how to throw a combination, they are watching to see how they can apply their own strength against the opponent.

You may as well say that you can become an f1 driver by watching helmet cams and listening to interviews with pro drivers. Fighting isn't something you can effectively learn by watching videos

I encourage him to go to a gym.

But come on, to say watching the pros do it is useless until you become pro doesn't make sense. I posted this channel once before, this guy almost went pro until he had a shoulder injury, and also sparred with some top fighters.

You really gonna turn away from some of his advice? It's VERY noob friendly.

youtube.com/watch?v=gB-9L6UgZ_o

Watching top fighters train is something I will always recommend.

Maybe I'm the only one here but after I watch a video I go outside with a mirror, and practice the technique until I see it performed exactly on the mirror.

Then I shadowbox and use it a few times. Then I go to the heavy bag. Then on my Double ended bag. etc.

Honestly it just feels safe and comfy riding high in a truck. I drive a small car, so whatever, but I don't begrudge people their trucks.

R8 my truck