What are some Veeky Forums approved reading materials? More in terms of sales, success, and business (trading...

What are some Veeky Forums approved reading materials? More in terms of sales, success, and business (trading, real estate, start ups, side gigs, ways to get passive income, etc.), or motivational books. Just books to read to help me come successful at something.

I see things like the 10x rule, poor dad, generic "how to be a millionaire," zig ziglar sales books, etc. So many books to wade through, but I want to read quality content and not waste my time sifting through shit.

If anyone has a good list of things to read for someone who is currently a salesperson, but I also want to make money on the side and eventually own my own thing or have so much passive income I can focus on other things.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!1R0QATqZ!Eb1_M5KC9gkxK6w32R2ETw
sivers.org/book/HowToGetRich
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/07/systems-better-than--goals-oliver-burkeman
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mega.nz/#F!1R0QATqZ!Eb1_M5KC9gkxK6w32R2ETw

Dale how to win friends and influence people

That book not outdated yet? I heard that some of the info feels outdated, not sure what that means though in this type of context.

Thanks bro!

The Millionaire Fastlane
Great and honest book with an awful title

Read this
sivers.org/book/HowToGetRich

Sales?
>SNAP Selling - framework for for quickly analysis then formulating a pitch to customers
>Same Side Selling - how to sell for long term relationships by giving customer advice and value
>The Challenger - same as above, except they did a little bit of research that showed that sales men who propose unconventional solutions make more money

How to Win Friends isn't so much outdated as everything in it has become mainstream knowledge.
Everything in it, to me at least, seemed pretty damn obvious.

Any resources on negotiation?
Something like a cookbook with the principles and techniques.

Protip: If it's got "Millionaire" in the title it's a load of horseshit. That's a buzzword that only means things to poor people nowadays (since, thanks to inflation, any normie that saves their money can be a millionaire by 50 or so)

I get what you're saying about the cheesy sleeziness of a title like that - and if I didn't personally know otherwise, I'd probably agree...but Millionaire Fastlane is great is also very well regarded.

48 Laws of Power

If you're looking for straight up "closes" then The Closers Survival Guude may be good. It was one book I was recommended. As for negotiation technique I'm halfway through Secrets of Closing the Sale, I like the mindset, it's honest and truthful and not sleazy.

>Getting to yes
is quite well regarded but I've only read a chapter or so

Not so much cookbooks but you should read Max Mosley's autobiography and the book "King Ichan" about Carl Ichan. Bernie Eccelstone and Carl Ichan are probably two of the most successful, ball-busting, negotiators ever.

They are apples and oranges too, Ichan is known for using aggression, rambling and filibustering, calling people at 7am on a Saturday morning, arriving to negotiations 6 hours in when his lawyers and the other side are tired so he can have a fresh, awake edge.

Ecclestone is known for seeming calm and congenial which lures you into a false sense of security. He also is hyper-literal, if you think you've made a breakthrough and agreed that the hosting fees of the race are ten million dollars, you better ask if that's for all five years, or each!

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a way to make reading more effective? Will you just learn from reading or do you need to have a certain mindset to read?

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a way to make reading more effective? Will you just learn from reading or do you need to have a certain mindset to read?

Yes there is
>1. Write out what you know before reading, and what you expect to know in dotpoints
>2. take notes while you read - physically write/type them out
>>Qui scribit bis legit - He who writes reads twice.
>in particular take notes of what you FAIL to understand
>3. A week later, look back over your notes and SUMMARIZE the key take outs.

Some people say the advantage of physical books is writing notes in the margins.

Maybe what you should do is rather than physically write notes is take a dictaphone and verbalize what you've read (take advantage of the modality effect to commit it to memory)

Also discussing what you've learned with other people achieves a similar thing, with the added advantage that they can ask you questions you perhaps didn't think of

'Getting to Yes' by Fisher and Ury for the soft touch. 'Getting More' by Diamond for the full contact sport. And you have to practice in real life to actually get better. The knowledge only gets you so far.

The other thing is, when it comes to business and sales you need some sort of way of APPLYING what you're learning in the real world.

It's one thing to learn all these persuasion techniques, but if you're not actually experimenting with them. Analyzing your prior performance and current performance it's kind of useless.

maybe you shouldn't rush the book. read for a while and then try to see what relation it has with you. also enjoy it

Made an order a few days ago on
>How to win friends and influence people
>ReWork
>Think and grow rich
>the only good investment guide you'll ever need

Will they make me stop being a brainlet? Literally only read shit like asoiaf and hunger games before, excited to try this out

Pic related is a good one, though it doesn't necessarily deal with business, finance, or sales.

The basic principle behind it is that, in order to master something, to practice that something often and in small chunks.

Want to become better at sales? Work on sales-skills little by little.

Want to become better at guitar? Take five minutes out of you day, and practice scales or hand positioning.

Seems like a "no shit" kind of principle, but it's kind of shocking how most people who want to achieve great things never really practice at building their way up to doing great things. They overwhelm themselves, get burned-out, then quit.

Had they taken it easy when learning a new skill, they wouldn't have exhausted themselves and dropped it altogether.

90% of the stuff in those books is really common sense, good advice, but common advice. What makes the techniques effective is thorough application and execution of the technique. There's a particularly good anecdote in Think and Grow Rich relates this well. The story is called "Three Feet from Gold".

They're pretty normie tier user.
The real question is what do you want to get out of it? Do you want to just get motivated or do you want actual specific methodologies and techniques to achieve financial/business/personal goals?

It's very true, I think we get too hung up on the idea of accomplishing something out of the box and fail to realize that incremental improvement is better than failing to try at all.
>Incidentally, most research shows that weather it's muscle building or even learning - fractured periodicity is better than extended marathon sessions
Reminds me of Scott Adams talking about "systems versus goals"
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/07/systems-better-than--goals-oliver-burkeman

Basically a "goal" is something for a short term finite ambition.
A "System" is something you do everyday, a state of continuous improvement.

If you want to keep weight OFF you need a system, not a weight loss goal. If you want to fit into a suite by the 17th of December, then you need a goal. But if you want to fit in that suite for the foreseeable future, you need a System.

Ray Dalio also covers a similar idea in Principles where he talks about crafting a "machine" which is basically a process through which you will get. He also describes the "drill down method" which makes you list all 'adjectives' that describe how your machine isn't working, then find the 'root causes' (verbs) behind those.

>It's very true, I think we get too hung up on the idea of accomplishing something out of the box and fail to realize that incremental improvement is better than failing to try at all.

I couldn't have said it better. I think this is called the Maestro (Prodigy) Bias: a thought bias that many people have when attempting to learn a new skill. Essentially, they start learning something with the idea that they will either be really good at it (a Maestro) or really bad at it; when they discover that they are really bad at it, they stop learning it, despite the fact that they just started learning it. They reason that, since they obviously aren't a prodigy, they'll never be good at it and, therefore, they shouldn't even make the attempt.

Thanks user, I have autism (literally) and some common sense couldp probably help me

Thanks for the reply, I figured that at least How to Influence was normie tier because it was the only one I had heard about before. But I reckon it could do me well to start with normie shit.

I want help on how to properly interract with people depending on what I want to get out of it, tips on becoming more aware of what I'm doing and what I should be doing differently (such as how I'm wasting my money, or why I dont have a lot of friends etc), pretty much for personal improvements.

I just started Communications at uni, 23 years old and have been working since I got out of high school and I noticed that everyone in my class have it infinitely easier than me to socialize and it seems like they dont even have to think about what they say or do, it comes to them naturally. I feel awkward around people and I'm stupid with money and basically just looking to improve myself. I know I cant cure autism but I hope I can be percieved as more "normal", as well as knowing, like the title implies, how to win friends and influence people

Think and grow rich is dope.. My grandfather payed me 100$ a summer when I was a kid to read it. Really instills pma into your life and natural selection

>Essentially, they start learning something with the idea that they will either be really good at it (a Maestro) or really bad at it; when they discover that they are really bad at it, they stop learning it, despite the fact that they just started learning it.
I never thought of it like that, but that rings true. Jaco Pastorious didn't slip out of the womb and onto a bass guitar playing like a legend, the motherfucker worked for it.

Glen Gould couldn't play Bach when he was 3, and probably couldn't play it the way we all know him for it afterwards.

>hey reason that, since they obviously aren't a prodigy, they'll never be good at it and, therefore, they shouldn't even make the attempt.
As opposed to taking the chance to see if they cane BECOME through leveling up their technique a prodigy.

Incidentally there's a good metric for this, apparently Malcolm Gladwell got it wrong - 10,000 hours is the point where if you're not a "master" after 10,000 hours of "active practice" then you'll never be one. It's not a magical number that turns you into a master, it's the absolute maximum number masters put in - most put in less.

I don't mean to say people should give up, but rather I'm saying it takes up to 10,000 hours to become a maestro. It might take them 3,000, it might take them 9,999. But if they don't start with hour 1, then hour 2 they'll never get there.

Totally read How to Win Friends... then.
Maybe also read the books of Konstantin Stanislavsky. He was the guy who developed "the method" in acting (confusingly, the ancestor and inspiration, but different to "method acting") and perhaps learning how to interpret a script and how to come at a character from the inside out might help you understand other people better while also understanding how you come across, learning that your inner emotional state affects your body language, your mannerisms, your gestures etc. and how by manipulating that you can make social interaction easier.

Thanks alot user, I'll check it out

yeah i have this book. i read it from time to time.