Long distance running

I have been a distance runner since I was 13, I am now 18. I have mostly done cross country distances because xc is how I got into running. The main reason I run is because I am good at it, not really because of enjoyment. It is just the sport that I happen to be good at. Still, I don't think that running distances over 10km is good for you, basing my view of my own anecdotal evidence. For instance, this week(more like past 8 days) I ran 13.1 miles last saturday, 8.7 miles on thursday, and 9.6 miles today, along with some smaller runs/sprints and two bike rides. My hips, knees, abs, etc. hurt a shit ton, and today I have been shitting out loose stool and water, and feel like I just smoked weed but without the happiness. Running these long distances spaced out over a week has me feeling worse than when I run 10k a day for a week, even though I still feel bad after that and don't recommend it(unless it's for saitama). Honestly, I feel much better when I do low impact cardio, specifically cycling. My knees feel waayyy better, and my hips rarely hurt, I feel less exhausted. I think that for steady cardio, low impact is best. This doesn't mean that all running is bad. I mean, we are built to run for cardio, but not crazy really long distances(loosely meaning >10k). I mean shit, to train legs sprints are a must if you don't have a powerrack or gym membership. Light jogging for cardio is also pretty healthy. What do you guys think? Do you agree with what I derived from my anecdotal evidence? Any good Veeky Forums articles on the right kind of cardio?

I do Marathons and Ironmans, peaked at doing 2 of each in a year. I regularly run >16k most sundays through year. Run 3x/wk. Cycle 3x, swim 3x, lift 2x in season. Weekly runs are tempo and speedwork, never more than 16k, average 10k. Peak week is 70k in 5 runs,

lifting and rest is key to being uninjured.

Current theory in anrthropology is persistance hunting is trigger/cause of human evolution. Ie we evolved to become the superior being we are by running like 50k most days to hunt.

to add. Uninjured. dont feel like shit after any, except at start of training season, since I just spent 2 months being a lazy fuck

Guys I'm just starting to ramp up mileage (managed 50 last month) and am wondering.. What's your balance like between low intensity and high intensity runs? I'm trying to run a faster 4 mile

I run track/xc for a D1 school running ~70 miles per week. Ran 16 miles this morning. Ive recently really focused on lifting and my diet and have been seeing good results. I just feel so much stronger on long runs and workouts. Ive managed to cut what little fat i have left and put on some noticeable muscle. I'm 5'10, 137.

I train for marathon distances so YMMV
I do about 20%speed, 20% tempo(mid), 60% Slow

Putting my coaching hat on, you should have done high volume low intensity in the off season, and then 50%high 50%low (since looking at middle distances).

Diet is a huge part, good you see results, so its easier to stick to it

Events and times?

may i ask what an average week of training looks like for you?

Thanks. trying to maximize training utility as I am running only 3x a week while lifting 2x

Cool, personally I found that hill training where you were doing zone 5 effort for 90s with full recovery between reps helps improve my speed most,
then followed by longer tempo efforts near peak

Heard of champions workout?
warmup, 3x2mile@T, 200y recovery, then increase to 4 reps, then 5 reps. very good to sustain speed

4:04 1500m and 15:12 5k. I battled a nagging injury last season so they're not where I'd like them to be or what i'm capable of. I was a walk on and wasn't recruited so nonetheless i'm pretty happy to be where I am.
>Monday
Mondays are on our own. 5-10 total miles depending on how i feel from the week before.
> Tuesday
Workout day. Usually some form of track work at race pace or faster. 2-3 mile warm up, 3-6 mile workout, ~2 mile cool down. Weights session after workout. 3-4 mile afternoon run.
>Wednesday
Normal run, 6-8 miles. Afternoon 3-4 miles.
>Thursday
Easy day. ~ 6 miles in the morning will stretching drills and some quick 150m strides. Weights after. 3-4 miles in the pm.
>Friday
Workout day. Usually a tempo but can also be on the track or hills. typically 7-8 miles of work. 3-4 miles in the pm.
>Saturday
Normal run, 6-8 miles. No afternoon run
>Sunday
Long run. 13-18 miles depending where we run and how im feeling. Typically try to really pick it up the last few miles. Miles 15 and 16 today were ~5:30

There is a lot of room for freedom. My coach is all about listening to your body and there is no strict weekly milage minimum or maximum. 70 seems to be by ceiling before I start getting overuse injuries like achilles tendinitis.

Jeez, and I was pretty proud that I ran 17 miles this week...

Mirin prs

appreciate the response user

we are built to run for cardio, but not crazy really long distances(loosely meaning >10k)

motherfucker i meant to greentext that

Do you have any tips for a beginner ?
My goal would be to increase my speed for short run ( 3 to 8 k ) .

and what would be the best lift to supplement lifting ?
I used to do heavy squat & dead but I felt like It was hindering the running , I only do heavy deads now .

There really isn't much need in lifting and improving long distance speed, but if you must lift then the best would be low weight with lots of reps on squats and other leg exercises. Mo Farah only squats about 90kg

Do you think that I should stop dead lifting close to my max ( I'm still linear progressing currently at 125kg*5 ) , I like it but I don't want it to hinder my running gainz .

Lifting heavy weights increases your muscle mass and past a certain point extra muscle won't benefit long distance and will weight you down. Also heavy weights at low reps develop fast twitch muscle fibers and also convert some slow twitch muscle fibers to fast twitch. And vice versa with long distance running.

You can either: carry on lifting close to max and drop distances (to below 1500m), lift less weight for more reps and continue your distance (also incorporate a lot of body weight exercises), or continue what you are doing and stagnate in the running gainz

for those serious long distance runners here, how scrawny are you guys?

Thanks for that post , It made me read into muscle fiber types and it was really interesting .

Do you think dead lifting in the 12 range with around 2 min rest would be better to recruit type IIa ? ( they seem to be the one I want for medium distance at fast pace )

Damn, and I was happy with my 5k at 16.05.