So I have no idea where else to put this...

So I have no idea where else to put this. I want to have a thread about fixed gear or single gear biking or just biking in general. How to get started? Self built vs brand name? Brakes vs no brakes? Etc etc. Hopefully someone else is interested.

>fixed gear

please don't fucking do this

single gear no brakes

can't stop won't stop

how the fuck do you stop without brakes

By ruining your shoes

sounds dangerous as fuck

I've always wants to get a bike and ride it around (not on roads), just ok bike tracks n stuff.

But bike fags make it seem so complicated, can't I just buy any bike off the shelf and ride it? Do I really have to go full autism theory crafting mode in order to get a decent one?

Bike threads get more hits in might be of interest if you're planning on doing trails or long distance cycling

This is basically a 2/10 bait thread you'd see on /n/ but since this is Veeky Forums it might actually work

Fuck off hipster cunt with your beard wax and fixie.

I work at a bicycle shop. The problem is most bikers are autists (especially about bicycle weight) the other issue is a "cheap" decent name brand is more expensive than most want to spend. We usually recommend an Evo to beginners but I suggest just go to a local shop and ride a few bikes to see what you like.

Op here. Im fully aware of the connotations of faggotry associated with fixies. But Im not one for social awareness. Im just looking for something I can fuck around and do tricks on as well as take on a ride around town. I train Muay Thai and ride bikes to stay in shape. Should I build something out of a cheap walmart bike or put some money into a brand name bike? What are some good brands that make a single gear with a flip flop rear tire so I can try riding fixed? Pic related is gaudy but kinda sick.

Like Crosscountry? If you just wanna go out in the backwoods and tool around, no you don't need something crazy. All the guys who custom build bikes are just deep into a hobby - kind of like people who customize cars: it can be super fun, but no need to be dropping aftermarket parts into you commuter.

Bikes like that are supposed to be for indoor track cycling where brakes don't matter. Hipsters just put those dumbass courier bars on them and ride them in the street because it became trendy after a bunch of drug addicts with courier jobs made it a thing.

to be honest, this should go to /n/

but the moment you put single speed and fixie in one thread you will get public shamed by the aristocracy of roadfags that lurk /n/.

Personal, if you have the money go for a brand but go simple, the main purpose of single speed OR fixie is simplicity. I found weird that simplicity cost more than one thousand dollars.

As you are asking for brakes, that means that you are not that experienced biker. Always have brakes even with fixie, hell, there are countries when is illegal to have a brakeless bicycle.

A simple rim brakes are ok.

Personally don't go fixie unless you want to be hipster, there is really no advantage over single speed freewheel.

On a fixed gear the pedals always moved with the gear, hence fixed, so you pedal backwards against the forward movements of the gears to slow the bike. There are special techniques for advanced riders as well to stop rapidly in emergency situations.

Why not get a single speed instead of a fixie lad? Are you living somewhere totally flat? I don't hate fixies because of their image, I hate them because it's a backwards step in tech.

dude, make it simple.

Mtb, rigid frame and no supension. V-brakes and single speed, 2:1 ratio.

There you go, a low maintenance, all terrain bicycle that can run anywhere.

If you want it to be more city friendly, change the knobby tires for commuter tires and there you go, commuter MTB.

I've got a single gear with a coaster break, full steel frame. I built it from scratch finding parts off Craigslist and bike stores. I love that thing. You would not believe how many hipsters compliment me on it too.

Yeah I just moved to Charleston SC. Its a flat, boring, shithole. Hence my interest in a weird hobbie that Im too old for.

Hey! I fucking love Charleston. It's beautiful there mate. Hanahan is really lovely too. Yeah, I'd go with a single speed, fixies are just a colossal fuckin pain.

bike mechanic here
>rebuild walmart bike
no

>So I have no idea where else to put this
come on, dude

Hopefully it'll grow on me. Thanks for the advice! And Ill be sure to post future questions in /n/. Thanks to those who redirected me.

I just bought a bike today, what a coincidence. It's a Cannondale caad 8, definitely a step up from the hybrid bike I was riding that I'd had since middle school

/out/ would be the place, m9

Sweet! Im looking forward to getting into it. Happy riding man!

>Fixed gear
>Meme handlebars
>Meager quads
>Helmet doesn't appear to meet safety standards
Would not ride bikes with/10

Don't listen to these chumps.
Riding singlespeed when you can ride fixed is for halfway house mugs.

> not being able to pull sick whip skids
> not being able to cycle backwards
> not being able to keo spin
> not realising the bullshit the purists spout about oneness with the road is true

Single gear no clutch no brakes no free-spin fixed steering column

DYEB brah

Jam your foot into the spokes or carry a stick specifically for this purpose

oh yeah im an idiot

>having a steering column
>having handlebars
>having 2 wheels

cmon

>rode fixed gear all summer
>paranoid as shit at all times
>steep hills became nightmarish

I'm throwing this bitch into single gear and putting some brakes on it. It's simply not worth the fear of not being able to stop in time and dying

Noframe-nochain is the new rage

the wheels are probably worht more than all your bikes combined

just look for a decent steel road bike frame from the 80s or 90s OP

or you could just go buy a bike with gears and brakes new thats nice and isnt some bullshit ego bike

They're good wheels. I've got a set of Compagnolo Boras on my road bike. That doesn't make the bike in the OP any less of a meme. FGIDF please leave

bikes had gears and brakes in the 80s

Bianchi frames are noice. I prefer carbon frames but I had a Bianchi for years that I rode the shit out of.

i have an steel bianchi as well as a carbon bike. i like them both for different reasons.

Cheap fixed gear would be a Mercier Kilo TT from Bikes Direct. I would suggest getting some flat bars for it because you're a newb. It comes with a back brake. I would suggest running that as well as going to an LBS (local bike shop, a real bike shop not a department store) for a front brake. I run mine with only a front brake. I picked up a nice brake that was a take off from a brand new bike that the owner wanted to upgrade. I also didn't use the shitty tires that came with the bike. I only use it for winter riding though.

I don't get this whole "low maintenance" thing that fixie riders are always on about. Derailleurs are very easy to maintain. Truing a wheel is way more of a pain in the ass than greasing and aligning a derailleur.

Glad to hear that. Too many people swear by carbon and shit on steel and vise versa. Both good IMO. I might pick up a steelframe for my next bike. My last one got mangled by a car.

curlz make the booty drop

Oh and I wouldn't suggest using the shitty toe cage pedals that come with the bike. I tried to use some flat pedals with straps but those weren't comfy on rides over 20 miles. I picked up a cheap set of Shimano SPD 520 and some crappy cheap entry-level Shimano SPD shoes to go with them. They worked fine but I ended up replacing those shoes with some Chrome Kursk Pro SPD shoes so they would look a little more casual. I still wear spandex when I ride though.

You're going to get a lot of hate for even asking about this.

Regardless, a large-ratio fixed-gear bike is the goat got leg gains while doing cardio. There are advantages to buying one built but I've always preferred to build my own. This gives you a little more control over how your bike feels and rides. Realistically though, if you're new to cycling, you'll struggle to feel the difference between most bikes.

If you lack the experience, brakes are a must. Also, always wear a helmet. Don't just ride a fixed-gear to look like a skinny jean wearing douchey hipster. Do it for the gains and stay safe while doing it.

Also, if you're going to do tricks, get a chro-moly steel frame and fork. Anything less than this will easily snap. There are frames like the BB17 Serpent with geometry designed more for tricks. They also have another frame (transfer I think?) That is designed more for track-like riding. Don't do tricks on an aluminum frame and certainly not on hi-ten steel. Alternatively, they have "trick-track" frames that are targeted for both. Geometry is good for cycling but the tubes are thicker and will handle an insane amount of abuse.

The spandex is the best part :^)

Baka baka

Buy a used Mercier you raging turbo faggot. Anything you've looked at is shit and so is this thread
>pic related
>you

why the fuck are bikes so boring and pointless, useless hobby noone cares that you do it nothing good comes out if it its honestly worse than posting on Veeky Forums

this.

most fixies are actually just lazy. but for every day use gears aren't worth it. it's too expensive to maintain.

Clearly you don't know shit about cycling if you're phrasing your questions like this. Let's start over. Why are you interested in cycling and what do you want to get out of it? Do you want to race (if so, what kind of bikes?), increase your endurance to rando or tour, use it as ancillary exercise and cardio to supplement your lifting?

Do not buy a fucking walmart bike.

Go check out /r/fixedgearbike and their recommended bikes at whatever price bracket, but the tl;dr for an entry level fixed gear is a Kilo TT from Bikes Direct.

I know >leddit
some of the communities actually have some decent info stickied.

>for every day use gears aren't worth it. it's too expensive to maintain.

> too expensive to maintain

how so? Have they suddenly started taxing people for the number of cogs in their rear cassettes? What the hell are you even on about.

It takes no more than 5 minutes to regulate and index a rear derailleur, whereas the pain in the ass of being limited to one gear is permanent. And es, gears definitely come in handy for daily use.

I really can't stand this fixie faggotry.

Derailleurs aren't that hard to maintain, but fixed gears can be quite fun. And they definitely are easier to maintain than geared bikes. I own road, CX, MTB, touring, and fixed gear bikes... Really the biggest time savings in maintenance on the fixed gear is not having to replace the shift cables.

> the biggest time savings in maintenance on the fixed gear is not having to replace the shift cables.

A 10 minute job you have to do every 10 ears, if ever at all.
I'm beginning to think you've never done any maintenance to a bike your entire life.

I'm not the same poster you were previously responding to

>every ten years
Clearly you don't ride very much. If you're riding >10000km per year and want your bikes to perform when training and racing, cables and chains need to be replaced every three months or so. So no, it's not exactly a huge amount of maintenance, but compared to the fixed gear which is literally just wipe down and relube the drivetrain, it is significantly more.

The point of riding any bike is to ride the kind that makes you want to ride it longer and further. You don't have to justify your preference in any sort of way. Just pick the kind you like and be a dick about it. I ride a fixie because I enjoy it. I ride to school and to the store to pick up groceries so my distances are sub 10km at a time. I don't need to shave seconds off my grocery store-ride with optimal shifting and steady 90rpm cadence.

Literally any Huffy or Mongoose from goodwill will work, don't listen to bike faggots

Get a Bmx bike with a small fixed gear. It will give you an intense workout and you won't look like a normal cycle fag.

>tfw a bunch of americans try to be european near me