Tips on buying a car

Tips on buying a car

inb4 Veeky Forums

cheap and sexy
+
ugly and all-terrain

Invest the money into cryptos and go into the Lambo/Tesla dreams

get something practical (decent mpg, decent total cost of ownership, good warranty) that you can afford that blends in with the other cars in whatever market you're in. if any of these people on here actually want flashy lambos they are fucking idiot new money that will never be happy. more money only equals more problems if you're stupid with your money (high maintenance trophy wife, high maintenance impractical car)

narrow it down to a few choices and research the fuck out of them before you set foot in a dealership. read forums for real, long term owners. don't listen to a fucking word the salesman says, just drive it and see if you like it. don't get upsold on shiny baubles you don't need. don't succomb to their high pressure BS that is designed to make you feel some urgency. don't become a debt slave. buy used or heavily used if that's the only way to avoid taking a loan and paying massive interest to the bank.

tl;dr ignore your stupid ego and do what's smart for your financial situation and your needs

3k Civic with a few simple mods.

Never ever buy a new car.

By a 3 or 4 year old car. Lost 50% of it original price, but still have 80% life

>Tesla

get out

go at the end of the month
and at the end of the day
don't ever pay sticker price
be kind to your salesman, even if he's slimy
take a night to sleep on it
get more than 1 quote
don't get any extended warranties
don't spend more than you can afford

you are the worst type of customer

Stay away from domestics...go with Honda, Toyota, or Subaru. If you know about cars then check the basics, look for oil in the antifreeze/antifreeze in the oil (looks like chocolate milk), and smell the exhaust. If it smells sweet it's burning antifreeze, if it smells like sulfur it'll probably need a new catalytic converter soon, if it smells like burning tires it's burning oil. If you can put the car up on a jack one wheel at a time and give it the shake test. If there's any up/down movement or side to side in the wheels you'll probably need to do some suspension work. Most garages will check it out for a minimal fee and can give you a round about price on where you would want to buy it at.

Also always check under the car for rust damage. Especially if you are in a state that sees a lot of ice/snow in the winters.

don't
/thread

Anything before 2006 when drive by wire was being implemented en masse

CIVIC FOR 3K

a convertible if you live anywhere with decent weathers

Never ever buy a brand new car, especially if there are good 2nd hand markets around you.

Don't ever get a loan to buy a car, finance it, or lease it because you actually end up paying more. And don't be a fucking retard by getting a loan or financing a 2nd hand car, that's just fucking stupid.

Keep your car economical, fuel efficient and durable. Stay away from BMW's, Mercades or Audi's, those cars are way too expensive to upkeep and has too many moving parts.

Stick to Asian economic cars like Toyota or Honda, which has proven stability and fuel economy as well. If you're in a bit of a budget, go for a Korean car like KIA or something.

Theres nothing more pathetic than a guy that drives a 2011 Audi 3rd hand car that some young guy with no business driving took a loan to acquire.

The value of cars depreciates drastically the second you drive it off the dealership.

Don't be a retard OP, having a car is a tool, not a status symbol.

This.

Cars are such rapidly depreciating things that it makes absolutely no sense to buy a car brand new unless you're financially able to do it.

What if you take out a loan as a way of not having to spend a decent amount of your portoflio but letting it grow in value way more than you'd pay in loan interest?

Assuming you're treating yourself from your crypto gains.

Wow, actually wise words here. Wow, I can;t believe...

I am about to buy a car for me (80% city-20%highway). I have little budget, thinking about buying new car yet... Here is why:

I live in Poland. There are no good or even decent send-hand card... Sorry. Everything is welded from 2-3 cars into 1 or after major accident. I have been looking for a used car for a year now (give or take). I couldn't find anything that was not total bullshit (major accident/rust everywhere/parts or engine broken) etc.

I wish I could turn back time, would be still driving my Ford Fusion with 1.4 engine (2004). Had it over 6 years, no major repairs. Some small repairs, but rememebr that that car had over 10 years... No rust, no broken parts, nothing.

It is impossible to buy a car like that here now.

I am forced to think on a new one, was thinking on Toyota Yaris or Fiat Tipo... But... to be honest, even that is out of budget for me...

I feel like fucking trapped.

You could do that, but it's risky to take out a loan any time, anywhere. There is always the risk of making a late payment and the interest rates nowadays for cars are absolutely outrageous.

Don't buy a car to "treat yourself", what are you 22? You don't go out and buy yourself real estate to "treat yourself", so why would you treat a large purchase like a car as a gift to oneself. At least real estate has the chance of appreciating.

That just sounds fucking retarded.

You can't just take a train to another European country and buy a used car there?

Buy a car with at least 1 year insurance , doesnt matter used or new the insurance is there to prevent you from getting scammed

>I am forced to think on a new one, was thinking on Toyota Yaris or Fiat Tipo... But... to be honest, even that is out of budget for me...

Wow, Toyota Yaris? Out of budget? Then just take the bus, Yurop is a tiny place, I am sure you'll be able to find a bus or something to get around.

There are buses and subways in Poland right?

Yeah, you can travel with a bus or train/tramway in case you would like:
>have delays daily (up to 2-3 hours when it comes to trains)
>drive in overloaded and overpopulated bus/train/tramway
>share space with dirty/stinky people
>share space (or touch one another) with homeless
>pay more for monthly ticket than for fuel to your car
>waste a lot of time to walk (home -> bus stop/train station -> work and backwards)

Yeah, enjoy your public transport here. Some exciting adventures are ahead of you!

No, I do not want to be late to work everyday and waste like 2 hours of my time (45-60 minutes with car). I do not want to pay for tickets huge prices because plebs is not paying for themselves. Fuck dirty and stinky people. I have no idea why people do not wash themselves.

Fucking pleb.

> live in poland
> think of buying a car instead of stealing one

Nice larp

said the butt-hurted cars seller.

>don't buy extended warranties.

You're an idiot. Do you enjoy paying for repairs?

When you buy a car they already have a warranty for 1-2 years. It's like when you buy a smartphone, are you the kind of guy that pay $100 more to have a extended warranty there too?

Fix it yourself you faggot

>Don't buy brand new
>Don't lease unless you're rich
>Always have a pre purchase inspection done
>Buy a car that's in warranty, certified pre owned, etc
>Negotiate for a year or two of complimentary maintenance or extended warranty (easier to get & better value than getting them down on price)
>Finance if your credit doesn't suck (use the money you would've spent upfront to invest, as long as those investments outpace the interest rate ((~ 3-4% a year)), which shouldn't be a problem

That's about it.

why not lease?

company I work for lets me lease a porsche if I pay 3600 out of my own pocket each year. This way I could drive a porsche for 4 years 14.4K (And then have nothing afterwards). Why is this a bad idea? I wouldn't have to pay for gas or repairs by the way.

$3,600 a year for a Porsche is great, especially with free gas, take that deal. In most cases it's not worth it because over the term of the lease you pay more than half of what the car is worth, have limited mileage, and end with no equity, but you can't beat $300 a month for a Porsche.

It would be the very cheapest one though. A cayman 2 door. Seriously considering it. I don't know but driving a porsche just really appeals to me.

If you flip cars every 2/3 years then you're right. You don't need one.
GL working on these newer cars. Warranties are worth the money. I paid $1700 for an 8 year warranty and I've had $6K worth of work done since I bought my 2011 Acura. I will never not buy a warranty.

So the good kind is the one that thoughtlessly gives you money after your pitch, nice one