What's your opinion on dark chocolate?

What's your opinion on dark chocolate?

You keep hearing about how healthy dark chocolate is and a while ago i've read about how good the fats are in it. But i always hear that you should try to get non-saturated fats, whereas dark chocolate seems to have lots of saturated ones. Am i missing something here?

I'm currently cutting and was planning on eating about 25 grams of dark chocolate daily for some easy fats and calories, but not sure if it's really a good idea or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=0
healthyforgood.heart.org/Eat-smart/Articles/Saturated-Fats
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Probably best eaten at a minimum or on a cheat day. Safest bet is to avoid it.

I need to get some dark chocolate, I haven't had any "sweets" in months.

Why would you suggest to avoid it, though? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

What about olive oil? I'm just looking for some good stuff to eat for fats that isn't nuts and peanut butter.

Usually when you hear about how great a candy or sweet is for you, it's a meme.

>usually

dark chocolate is literally the only "candy" that's good for you

I wouldn't incorporate it as a part of your diet but it's good to have just a few pieces a day, I switched to 70% cacao and never turned back

The best thing you can put on your body after a workout is chocolate milk.

I don't do it because I don't drink milk. But just putting out there.

Google it if you don't believe me.

My wife loves dark "chocolate" if ya know what I mean!
Tyrone pleasures my wife in all the ways I could never dream of with my lil dicky or "clitty" as my wife likes to call it
Somedays I get jealous but then I come to my senses and realize that I'm just an inferior white malBRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
PBFPOOPYPOOPYPOOYPDOODODOODOO
WOOOWEEWOOOWWEEE WOW WEE
HUCKLEBERRY FUCKKECHERRY ZZZZZZZZZZIP
HYDROMATIC
ELECTROMgtic
GRRRRRRRRREASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
LIGHTINGING
BBBBBRRRUP
MOOMMMYMOMMYOMOMMYYYYYWOWOOOOOOOWWEEEWOOEWWEEE
DOO DOOO IN MY.HAIIIIIRRRREVEYRHWEREEEEEHEHEHEHHLOL

>Dark chocolate is bad for you because it's chocolate

People who have no idea that chocolate isn't loaded with sugar naturally.

Make sure you get 90+% chocolate rather than fake dark chocolate. Saturated fat being bad is a bit of a meme, all your hormones are built from it. The studies that 'discovered' it was bad were bribed by the sugar industry to find that conclusion.

Dark chocolate is known to provide nitric oxide, which improves physical performance - mainly long duration aerobic activity. (You might have heard that beetroot has this effect, but it tastes fucking disgusting.) As far as I'm aware, that's the big benefit of dark chocolate, other than the lower fat compared to milk chocolate.

Regarding fats, generally try to eat things that are liquid at room temperature (like oil) and avoid those that are solid.

>Regarding fats, generally try to eat things that are liquid at room temperature (like oil) and avoid those that are solid.

What's this based on?

Someone's having a seizure again

Thanks for the answers. I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to eat like 25g every day, then? I don't want to make it a big part of my diet but i do want to get enough of it to reap some of the health benefits. Also, i don't really like the taste of it (way too bitter for me) so it's not like i'm just trying to find justifications to eat chocolate or anything.

I currently have 86% chocolate because that seems to be the highest i can find in my local store, would that suffice?

I'll tryout olive oil, then. Thanks

86% is good enough, in terms of health the higher the better but the taste is pretty bad if you go too high.

good under comparison to normal chocolate you dip your average meal doesn't require the minimal benefits you gain from eating dark chocolate and doesn't redeem how much shit it still has

No, it's not.

Dextrose and whey is much better. Better insulin spike plus faster absorption vs casein. Casein vs Whey don't effect protein synthesis any different as most people tend to think for some reason but whey will be absorbed quicker (40 minutes for whey peak, 2-3 hours for casein since it coagulates)

Being fit...80% nutrition, 20% gym

Dark chocolate isn't good for its fats, it's good for the polyphenols in cocoa. Some would argue that the benefits of dark chocolate's polyphenols outweigh the bad fats they contain, but that's not really understood. The best of both worlds is cocoa powder.

> Saturated fat being bad is a bit of a meme, all your hormones are built from it.
>The studies that 'discovered' it was bad were bribed by the sugar industry to find that conclusion.

You describe something as a meme and then follow that up with a meme of your own and a conspiracy theory.

>The new york times cannot be trusted

nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=0

I'm aware of that news report, it just doesn't mean anything. The sugar industry funded research came years after saturated fat was already being studied for its role in heart disease, and it didn't fabricate anything to make saturated fat appear unfairly bad, it just tried to make sugar look less bad than it probably is. Industries that sell saturated fats do the same thing. A hugely widespread meta-analysis from 2010 claimed there was no [statistically] significant evidence that saturated fat was linked to heart disease. That paper was funded by the National Dairy Council and uses many tricks to reach their conclusion as well. It's well accepted that both saturated fats and refined sugars are bad for health.

I eat lots of dark chocolate. It has really nice antioxidants, trace minerals and a nice carb/pro/fats ratio. Also has caffeine and theobromine, a pair of stimulants for that extra little energy boost.

Also, saturated fats are fine. They dont give you cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc. Transfats, on the other hand, do. Avoid transfats.

Enjoy high cocoa dark chocolate. I eat a 125g 90% cocoa plate like 1-3 times a week.

>absorbed

>Also, saturated fats are fine. They dont give you cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc. Transfats, on the other hand, do. Avoid transfats.

Saturated and Trans fats are both unhealthy.

healthyforgood.heart.org/Eat-smart/Articles/Saturated-Fats

>read babby's first nutrition textbook containing 1970s corporate funded science and thinks he's an expert

Please don't post on this board offering advice/information until you're up to date with the latest developments in nutritional science

>believes every sensationalist media headline he reads
>"you're just not up to date on science like me"

>>There’s a lot of conflicting information about saturated fats. Should I eat them or not?
>The American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fats – which are found in butter, cheese, red meat and other animal-based foods. Decades of sound science has proven it can raise your “bad” cholesterol and put you at higher risk for heart disease.
>When you hear about the latest “diet of the day” or a new or odd-sounding theory about food, consider the source.

Liquid = unsaturated; Solid = saturated.
Essentially unsaturated fats are usually liquid because of the double bonds in the molecular chain. And it's at the double bond that fat metabolism can occur more easily. Polyunsaturated fats - ie. with more than one double bond - are even better.

Hence, if a fat is liquid, that suggests the presence of double bonds, which means the fat is more likely to be broken down and used for energy rather than stored as body fat.