Is it pronounced Sisero, Kikero, or Chichero?

Is it pronounced Sisero, Kikero, or Chichero?

Attached: Cicero.jpg (345x448, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=amdAAwJtuGw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages#Palatalization
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation
la.wikisource.org/wiki/Appendix_Probi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenition
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's Chichero

Kschikschero

Chicago

His name was Kemantaro and he was a Black man

Kikero (pronounced Kike-ro)

you mean kick-eroo

Kircheis.

Kochise

Cangaroo

>not even including the dramatic hand gestures enunciating every syllable

You're never going to master Roman history lad

Attached: 792b8997970b433b06b10721bd89900e.jpg (900x600, 152K)

Keek-a-row

Kike-ear-eww

Kikero (technically keekero or "Key-kuh-row") is the real answer.

Kekiro. I can't believe nobodies said that.

Kike-ero

"Richard"

seychelles

Chihiro-kun

youtube.com/watch?v=amdAAwJtuGw

Tschitzkeroo

Kenshiro

Chiksero

cicero-chama

شيشرون was a proud Arab.

Duchovny

Tsitsero

Markusov Tulliusovich Kikerikovich, the great soviet politician

Cockatoo

Kickapoo

Upstart who executed established Members of the Aristocracy....checks out.

Gabagool

Gooba di gabba

weeaboo

Markus Tullius Kikerus, Römischer Konsul.

How come it's only Americans/Anglophones who are pushing the K meme? I hate to break it to you but C when followed by an -e or -i does not make a K sound.

The irony in this is that is an English rule

Konsul Markus Tullius Kikeriki

Attached: Hahn-201020534342.jpg (693x698, 203K)

Sissyro

Attached: Tribvne of PLEBS.gif (500x278, 581K)

>Chichero
Ecclesiastical.
>Kikero
Classical.
>Sisero
English.

Latin is long dead (but not extinct). Say it how you wish, just be familiar with the variants.

Find me one Latin or Romance language spoken today that pronounces his name Kikero.

>Latin
Latin.
>Romance language
The sound changes Latin underwent when diverging and developing into the Romance languages are well documented.

Sardinian.

I may be wrong but I think Sardinians say it like Italians. While in many cases Sardinian does not palatalize, I don't think this is one.

Sardinian only palatalizes before /j/

If Kircheis were still alive...

Oh. Is that the general rule? I'm sure there are exceptions but generally only before /j/?
Thanks for the info. A shame the language is dying.

lmao

Yes, and only after /t/, /d/ not /k/.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages#Palatalization

Thanks.

Reminder that Markov Tuliovich Kschikscherov was a proud ethnic Russian.

>Marcus Tullius Cicero[n 1] (/ˈsJsəroʊ/; Classical Latin: [ˈmaːr.kʊs ˈtʊl.lJ.ʊs ˈkJ.kɛ.roː];

Every single descendant of Latin pronounces Cicero wrong. The Catholic Church which has used Latin continously for 2000 years pronounces Cicero wrong. Got it.

Attached: IMG_20180322_011549_147.jpg (720x1280, 162K)

>wikipedia is infallible

There are these things called "sources", you know?
Also:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation

The Latin church uses Ecclesiastical Latin. It's basically just Italian.
As the pronunciation in Italy changed it makes sense that Latin's pronunciation would change as well. It's not like Italians woke up one day and said "I'm done speaking Latin I speak a different language now". It was gradual. They didn't realize it changed.
There's this famous text called the Appendex Probi. It was written by a pissed off grammarian in the declining period of the Roman Empire. It's just a list that says [word] non [incorrect pronunciation of word]. It really show cases the changes being made by one of the few people who would be educated enough to know it.
la.wikisource.org/wiki/Appendix_Probi

Also every Romance language says it different so your argument is kinda trash.

In classical latin c is always the /k/ sound

> wikipedia is a JIDF psyop

>It's basically just Italian.
Italian pronunciation*
sorry.

I pronounce all roman names with a thick Italian accent, like how the pope would talk. Roll Rs hard and really spit out your Ks and mumble mouth the rest. I had to do a very embarrassing oral presentation, and I decided to just be consistently bad.

Attached: Crassus.jpg (800x1299, 173K)

Tully O'Cíceiró, proud Hibernian.

>It's basucally just italian pronunciation*
So you pronounce old saxon exactly as english ?

No.
The Catholic church pronounces Latin as if it were Italian.
The pronunciation of ancient Rome was different.

Says who?

Shishihoo.

Linguists

its sikaro. the first s in latin is silent the 2nd is hard. we have hard s's in english because of cicero and circe.

Sicario

French, Spanish (most dialects), Portuguese, and Catalan pronounce it with an S.
Italian, Romanian, Sardinian, Dalmatian, and Corsican pronounces it with a Ch.
Northern Spanish, Galician, Aragonese, and Asturian pronounce it as some weird lisp mixture of S and Th.

Where exactly did Kikero and this "Classical Latin" meme come from and why do they keep pushing it? No one today was alive back then. But basic logic would say it's anything but K.

>Where exactly did Kikero and this "Classical Latin" meme come from and why do they keep pushing it?
Reconstructive linguistics.
> But basic logic would say it's anything but K.
You just listed four different pronunciations, is it hard to believe it would be different?
It's not even spelled the same anymore.
The romance languages lost the diphthongs and .

That's Spanish for a hit man/assassin you boob

Its "Kick ero"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_spelling_and_pronunciation

Kikkero-dono

SHIT-serow

wtf i didn't come here to feel

Attached: 1516334210907.jpg (500x598, 37K)

There was a quote I think it was by Cicero that went something like "An old person dying is like a candle that has burned through, a young person dying is like a candle that is put out prematurely.

If by "wrong" you mean "not as Cicero would have said it" or "not the Classical pronunciation", then:
>Every single descendant of Latin pronounces Cicero wrong.
Yes.

> The Catholic Church which has used Latin continously for 2000 years pronounces Cicero wrong.
Yes. Any other questions? Learn some linguistics before you act cocky. Or just fuck off from Veeky Forums.

Where's the evidence it's pronounced Kikero other than "some anti-Catholic Jew said so"?

彼が七山きけろ、ローマ人の無敵な侍だ。

Common misspellings, how Latin words were borrowed into other languages, what the descendants tells us, how other languages wrote Latin names, what the people living in those eras noticed, etc.

>Chichero
>Implying that it's not using the 'k' sound
>Chichero

Attached: 1516084762091.gif (320x320, 2.46M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenition
The K --> ch change is a common one, and it would be extremely inconsitent if it was pronounced anything but /k/ in Classical Latin. From how the scripts developed, to how Latin words are borrowed/inherited into other languages, etc.

Again, learn some linguistics. It's nothing about "anti-catholic". Even medieval Catholics distinguished between Classical and Church pronunciation.

>Every single descendant of Latin pronounces Cicero wrong. The Catholic Church which has used Latin continously for 2000 years pronounces Cicero wrong.

This is a completely uncontroversial comment for anyone with even slight knowledge of Classics.

Attached: niggerteeth.jpg (500x375, 75K)

Where's the evidence it wasn't apart from 'some catholic worshipper of a jew said so'?

Attached: Marius displeased.jpg (216x233, 7K)

If the letter C was pronounced like /k/ in classical Latin, why is "machina" spelt with a "ch"?

> Catholic Church
>used Latin for 2000 years
Retarded Catholic confirmed.

my guess, it's probably a more recent latin word, following italian pronunciation instead of classical

It's a proven fact that Classical Latin pronounced all C's as K's. I'd provide evidence but I'm busy right now. Don't ask questions okay, you sound retarded.

Because it was pronounced as either /x/ or /kh/ (aspirated k) in Greek, and written with χ. This sound is always transliterated as CH in Latin, which makes sense if /k/ is written as C.

You'll get a bunch of answers but the reality is nobody was around back then. In Greek he's called Κιkέρων or Kikéron. Don't believe me? In Italian/modern Latin he's called Chichero. One must ask, why didn't the Greeks translate his name to Σιςέρων? Either uneducated Greek translators got it wrong 2000 years ago and everyone just stuck with it or the Latin language changed. That's basically what the debate comes down to.

tsitsero

Klitschko

You know we have what basically amount to spelling tests from ancient Rome, right? K being used for C is a very common error occurring in every context, implying it was always a hard sound.

Attached: Ave+_8b03b6c669443f10d18723260c236eae.jpg (273x200, 12K)

The c's are silent. It's pronounced 'ee-eh-oe'.

>Hard sound

But modern day Italian, Romanian, Spanish, and Portuguese have a k sound.

>one Latin or Romance language spoken today that pronounces his name Kikero

Latin no, Greek.

Κιkέρων (Kikeron)
Καίσαρ (Kaisar)

Cicero (pronounced as Cicero)

:^)