/30+/ - Oldfag thread

>tfw might need to start taking blood pressure meds
anyone else on some /pill/ for medical condition? any effect on your lifts?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466938/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No. I'm 37 but don't take anything. You should probably do more cardio.

I am pretty skinnyfat though, it's slow progress between injuries, losing weight, realizing I have shit form, injuries from said shit form, and so on. But I'm content that it's more of a lifestyle and that I'll probably be more functional in my 80s than if I weren't lifting.

Let me prephrase this by saying that you should of course listen to your doctor over some user on Veeky Forums.

With that out of the way, I hope you understand that more often than not, high blood pressure is a symptom of something you're fucking up, and simply taking a pill to mask the symptom rather than fixing your fucking lifestyle is not very smart.

and

Blood pressure medication is effective for reducing your blood pressure, but not very effective for actually preventing the death that is associated with having high blood pressure.

In other words, fix your stress levels, get proper sleep, eat like an adult, and exercise.

>In other words, fix your stress levels, get proper sleep, eat like an adult, and exercise.
that's the problem, I do not feel stresses at all, my life is pretty laid back, I get 6h+ of sleep, eat proper meals and lift 4 days a week, only thing I could think of, was too much sweets in my diet, lowering it now, was really bad before christmas, starting to do more cardio.

whats your bp and how old are you?

when it's lightly elevated, say 140-155 systole, don't take the meds and try to compensate by weight loss/exercise.

Give it 3-6 months, when the bp isn getting lower by then, consult your physician again und consider going on medication.

And what about your bodyweight?

Also, 6 hours of sleep is bordering too little.

varies, in morning 120ish/76ish, evening it's 140-160/86ish, measuring it for two weeks now to get an average, but it's all over the place, also my resting heart rate is around 85 while sitting, shitty genetics

32, 192c@m 90kg/6'3"@200lbs

was feeling fine until the day I wasn't, felt pressure in the base of the skull, was told it was due to bp, so started measuring it then

Okay so you're not exactly overweight. What's your cardiovascular fitness like?

I need to go through physical every 2years at work, 3 years ago noticed my high bpm (can easy hit 90 if I'm just standing) had a full check up, had to ride that stationary bike for several minutes with wires and shit, doc said if I am feeling fine, then I don't need medications

Listen to thus guy.
But vit c and garlic have been shown to lower the bp.

How is your general health?
If you have low level infections ECT that raises heart rate a fair bit.

I do have alergy to cats and I have a cat in house, that could probably be attributed to have an effect, but BP issue is new.

BP gets affected by all kinds of things.
Docs were starting to get concerned about my BP last year, I changed a bunch and dropped it to nominal.
6 hours is too little sleep for a start
Salt, alcohol, cigarettes being black etc.
You could always try adding things like a Grapefruit for breakfast a couple times a week to help out your liver and kidneys
Ultimately your doctor should know best unless you're American

6h+
Sometimes I can't fall asleep fast, I go to bed at midnight and wake up 6.30 so how much sleep I get depends how fast I fall asleep
>Salt, alcohol, cigarettes being black etc.
none of those, the only salt I get is with food when I eat lunch, I make breakfast and dinner with no salt at all, ever (abit of it on soy souce, but I use a spoon at most for around a kilo of food)
what's the grapefruit for?

Listen to thus guy.
But vit c and garlic have been shown to lower the bp.

How is your general health?
If you have low level infections ECT that raises heart rate a fair bit.

Grapefruit is stacked with good shit for your liver and by extension your kidneys
Citric acid, Pantothenic acid, Amino acids, Omega 3 and 6, Vitamin C
Poor kidney or liver function can increase your BP

I'll give it a try

34 calisthenic faggot reporting in.
My blood pressure is generally on the lower end, I guess it is always due to my mostly ketogenic lifestyle.
Quit smoking like 7 months ago, so that's something.
I have a small fucking gut that I try to lose for more than 5 years, can't do it somehow, even with water fasting.
I take no medication at all. Not even for a headache. Only thing I consume is some mushrooms from time to time, helps all the anger that is bunkered in my brain.

how small is the gut? all my leftover fast is also in my gut, but 24h fasts seem to be helping (only did it 4 times so far)

I'm on 4 different blood pressure meds (at the same time) and all I notice is that I get dizzy and feel weak sometimes, during and between sets. Not the greatest, but some days/times of day it doesn't feel like that and everything works more or less like normal.

>4 different meds for the same shit
sounds... illogical?

That's what happens when you go to Dr. Goldberg and he refers you to his pharmacist cousin, Mr. Goldberg.

It's supposedly better to use meds that target different mechanics in the body rather than blast full force on one of them.

I herd arginin is good for blood pressure and it makes you huge too.

I guess it depends on how severe the sideeffects for each one are?

Before 2016 I had regular headaches which, iirc, is a symptom of high blood pressure. After I got back in shape, I stopped getting headaches. I had issues with snoring and malaise. All of that disappeared when I got back in shape just from cardio 3 days a week. Now I lift in addition to the cardio. I got through the flu season unaffected while everyone else was dropping around me.

Maybe so. Reading the list of side effects, they all have some pretty scary rare shit that can happen. I'd rather take a little from many different than take a lot from one where that might increase the risk to trigger the more severe side-effects.

>I got through the flu season unaffected while everyone else was dropping around me.
I haven't actually had a disease and been sick since I first got Veeky Forums in 2011, except for Mono, which knocked me on my ass.

The amount taken shouldn't affet the chance for side effects, you either get them or you don't, but some side effects take longer to notice, like liver damage.

yea my cardiologist told me to take it easy with cardio, starting light with one session a week.

I'm 32 and started lifting and IF a year ago. I had a severe case of scoliosis which thanks to lifting hasn't been bothering me much. I was phisically active before but nothing has helped as much as lifting weights. Had a high bp and severe episodes of migranes with auras but that has stoped as well after I lost 15kg on IF. I'm feeling better than ever and I'm fitter than ever.

Dude, get into intermittent fasting with the occasional fast day.
Eat only organic veg and lean meats
Go for purposeful hour long daily walks
Do basic calisthenics 3 days out of the week.
Get 8 hours of sleep, in the dark, buck nekkid, no phones or wifi on or in the room.

You'll feel great.
Also, your high blood pressure might be due to a deficency as well so have a blood test done.

I've been taking BP meds for 8 years now (I'm 27). My high bp is purely down to genetics, but I do have some advice for you, as I've nearly reduced my pressures to normal range and looking to slowly wean myself from medications. First thing, change your diet for the good and introduce more plant based foods. I have cut slowly cut meat from my diet and now slowly dairy, I have seen a significant reduction in blood pressure over the past few months (There are numerous studies comparing plant based diets to other diets and it really is quite compelling). I run around 40k a week while lifting weights 4 days, i'd definitely recommend introducing a solid cardio regime to both reduce your HR and BP. Let this be a primer to your knowledge about diet and its role influencing BP; ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466938/

Good luck, user. Get that shit under control, it's crucial.

check out if you can fix your scoliosis. it turned out mine came from a misaligned pelvis. after they told me for years one of my legs is too short.

here already do the rest, might need to get my bloodwork done, I had it done back in september and everything was fine, need to keep track of BP and then go see a cardiologist
meat in my plate is barely 1/3 of the plate contents, rest are veggies (wheats are veggies too, right?) stopped drinking milk ages ago, though I eat curd on bread with ham for breakfast
Keep it up, senpai

>the only salt I get is with food when I eat lunch
It's not just "salt." Look at the amount of sodium in your food. You would be surprised with how quickly it adds up. My wife has high blood pressure (and takes meds), so we watch sodium intake.

lunch is food, user
or are you implying that a piece of raw meat I buy is full of sodium?

that's still eating meat, though. Do you have a home BP monitor? Maybe try experimenting with your diet (go meat free for 3 weeks) and see how your blood pressure responds? Also, never add salt to your meals and avoid take outs as you're likely to get your 2300mg in that one burrito.

yes I do have BP monitor, that's how I'm monitoring my BP for cardiologist, every morning and evening I take the measurements and write them down.
I would have nothing to eat if I never ate meat, I was considering it many years ago, but there is just not enough food to sustain myself, I can't live on PB for long, besides it has a ton of carbs.

The biggest problem with sodium is when you're not getting enough potassium to match. The two go hand-in-hand. Watching your sodium is fine and all, but you should be supping potassium, or using Lite Salt (which I've used to totally replace regular table salt in my diet, and is 50/50 sodium and potassium)

Fucking vegan shills have no shame.

yea, that was one of my biggest concerns, low potassium intake, bought some rasins for that, got the yellow ones but they taste so bad I can't eat more han a handfull, got blue ones yesterday, gonna try and see if it affects BP in any way

You can get this at almost any grocery store, afaik. I know Walmart, Publix, and HEB carry it. Take the potassium pill. You're supping it just by putting "salt" in your food.

For me it's Mrs. Dash

>lunch is food
Different people have different interpretations of what food is. If you're truly eating healthy (no processed junk) then good one you, and good luck.

aayyyyy bro, I have that genetic high BP too! Sucks ass, I'm not even fat.

i am 28 but have high LDL (bad) cholesterol that is probably genetic, since my dad has it too and he is skinnyfat while i just came out from auswitchz mode so we're not fatasses or anything.

thankfully that's easily fixed with meds at $400 annually and there's no side effects.

I'm from Europoe, don't think we have stuff like that, no at a regular store, anyway, I checked.
seasoning is tricky, I prepare food for my family and I have a family member that we support but he can't eat a lot of stuff, bell peppers, for example, all I can use is black pepper for spicyness.
For my lunch I go to caffeteria, they serve food that tastes like home cooked, I have soup and a main dish, it's from meat, but I have no idea if the meat itself is processed or not, it's also served with vegetables like cabbage and beatroot alongside with mashed potatoes. At home I pretty much cut out all proccessed meat, just buy it raw.
On very rare occasions (once a month or even less) I get some potatoe chips or similar snack.
that's a lot of money, desu, cholesterol doesn't have much to do with weight, does it?

did you manage to somehow fix yours? As far as I know, it is not fixable per se, but you can build your muscles in order to not have your skeleton fall out of place.
Mine comes from me falling with a bike in a gravel pit some 10 years ago. I should have died but I survived.

>30s
>neet
Is there still hope?

Move to a different country. It's the nuclear option

hope for what?

>fix your stress levels, get proper sleep
these are some pretty awful suggestions. I work 65-70 hours a week. I already don't have time for anything but work, sleep, and getting to the gym at 5:30 in the morning. Where do I find these fantastic extra hours in the day to relax and catch up on sleep?

yea, work less

spoken like a true joblet. I bet you think 150k a year is rich and would be happy with 100k you filthy underachieving poor

>tfw almost old fitfag at 27
>tfw places are starting to hurt where it didn't hurt ever before

fuck

shit senpai, sounds like permanent damage from lifting

I've been taking a beta-blocker since I was in my earlier 20's because of a congenital heart defect. I've got mixed answers about affecting exercise (never addressed lifting specifically). Do what they tell you to do.

Excellent taste in noodles, Shin Black is AWESOME!

Not related to the BP topic at hand, but is doing shin/toe raises when deadlifting a good exercise for calves?

It just so happens that the best possible diet for a healthy heart is vegan. No, "vegan diets" aren't good for your heart since a vegan diet can be full of junk; the specific diet that IS good for heart health just happens to be vegan. This is why former POTUS Bill "Gotta Rape 'Em All!" Clinton was put on such a (coincidentally) vegan diet by his doctors, it had nothing to do with veganism as a belief-system.

People who go on pure vegan diets later in life have basically fucked themselves beyond repair and have to go on it to hopefully undo damage.

A normal relatively healthy man in his 30's has no need of ever going on a vegan diet. As a matter of fact, it's trading one diet that's full of life ending illnesses for another.

Vegans still die from heart attacks and cancer. Only now you'll have a higher chance of getting some kind of neurological issue on top of that.

don't be gay sparky

That's what I used to do, as a bonus I also made a rolling movement with my shoulders (sort of like a shrug)

Is there a test I can take? Wait, don't tell, I forgot I didn't give a fuck.

Sleep more. Also anxiety and stress usually go unnoticed until you have an episode or your blood pressure spikes.

>Have Crohn's, diagnosed when I was 18 and had to have an emergency bowel resection
>6" of my small intestine removed
>Surgery and recovery period was traumatic as fuck, stuck in the hospital for weeks, went into depression
>Turning 30 this year. Had tests done and I have permanent irreversable constriction in my small bowel near where I had my surgery
>Medication will reduce inflammation but another surgery is highly probable within the next 5-10 years

Feels fucking bad man. On the upside I'm making gains and in decent shape, but it won't mean shit when I go back and spend a month in the hospital again.

Fuck. I am really dreading this

~120/76 are perfectly within normal parameters, and it's the morning rate that counts the most as that shows where your blood pressure goes at it's lowest. Your resting heart rate is pretty high though. How much stress there currently is in your life?

t. 34, 173cm, 95kg, 118/78, 57bpm

well you go and carry on putting work above your health in the scale of what's important.

lets see how you live for.

>I work 65-70 hours a week.

Found the problem. Keeping up with this will eventually kill you, start figuring out a solution for this.

36 here. Doc wanted me to take metformin for blood sugar, statins for cholesterol, and prazosin for BP. Told her I'd lose weight and if I didn't, go on the meds. Down 30 pounds, all medical problems gone. I'm willing to bet that with a cardio regimen and maybe some dietary tweaks you can get back into the normal range.

i was close to a hundred hrs. it gets smaller but never really disappears. that was at my leanest of 77.5kg, i am 1.78m. i probably have to fast just more but whenever my weight is so low i am so extremely hungry... and my retarded ass keeps refeeding me with junk food. i have to drop that.

this must be the most comfiest thread on Veeky Forums ever

Don't listen to these fucking turd burglars.

I work 70-84hr weeks and I still have time to hit the gym.

its litterally 4 hours a week, get in do your shit and gtfo. not hard.

I'm not even 30+ yet, when i was 25 I was put on venlafaxine because of anxiety attacks(propably from benzo abuse, weed smoking or drinking) got fat(ter) heavy as I'd ever been in my life, my diastolic blood pressure went through the roof (over 110). I was put on blood pressure meds because it was dangerously high... and it was the venlafaxine that gave me such an high blood pressure in the first place, a year later I lost about 35 kgs by dieting and exercising. Now I only have low test and docs won't do shit about it, I'm gonna stop taking advice from doctors, especially the ones that shill you ssri an anti psychotics for your so called ingrained low sertontin levels.

Pretty sure that venalfaxine is fucking up my test.

>70-84 hours a week

Jacking off at your desk after hours cuz you hate your wife doesn't count as working dumbass

I just turned 30 and feel alright aside from weird joint pain sometimes.

I am concerned that my gains will be less, but it's whatever. Looking good and being strong when you're older is actually an incredibly huge boon so it's worth it.

Have fun dying alone bro

how to tell if you are stressed? legit I have no worries and give 0 fucks
aww, the good thing is, you will get better after that and you will be able to continue getting stronger
0 stress, it's medical condition (maybe too little cardio?) it's 60bpm when I'm laying in bed
Not overweight, buddy
ouch, best of luck!
desu-ne?
I'm 32 and getting stronger each year, we are all gonna make it.

38 fag here. No meds, no glasses, no drugs, minimal alcohol, best shape of my life, quite ironic since my mental state is the worst ever. Hope you guys are doing good

The meat and dairy industry sure has deep pockets. I wish i was this naive

I guess someone has to be sacrificed so the NEET's can live comfortably.

You might want to start lifting and do exercises for ABS.
That's my wild guess, though.

Exactly what I did in my 30s after 2 or 3 years of being a neet thanks to a drinking problem.

Lost 150 pounds.

Now lifting for one year.

Progress speed is not the same but I feel like a teenager again.

Do it, user! Move to another country or city or just do something crazy with your life.

Just measured mine, it's 115/75, and it was like that for the last several months. It goes even lower after I do BJJ or some heavy lifting, down to 105/70. I have a bp monitor because I used to drink heavily, and had some associated health problems, including high bp, around 150/95.

What you said basically worked for me. Quitting drinking, getting a bicycle for work commute, lifting, martial arts, sorting out my nutrition and losing weight. I'm nearing 31, and never felt better, after almost a decade of heavy alcohol abuse.

So OP, try to sort your shit out, there's a chance it will get better.

A new country is on an entire different level than a new city.

Yeah. I was lucky to had good friends that helped a lot. .

...but anyway is the same idea. You leave your (dis)comfort zone before doing an hero and everything gets better.

Turned 40 a few days ago. Decided to get back into shape for the 6th time in my life. Can't seem to break the cycle of get fit-like how I look in the mirror-slack off-shrink back down-hate myself-wallow in self hatred for 6-24 months-get fit.