MtG is unbalanced

MtG is unbalanced.

yes and?

>7 CMC for a 8/8
>Has an ability that can let you potentially attack with (token swarm number) of copies of the biggest Timmy card in your deck.
Literally why.

>7 CMC for a creature that can potentially be deadly!
>provided you flip a bomb-ass creature
>and you have a ton of tokens
>and it doesn't get killed before combat

Yeah I'm not sure where you're seeing the problem because this thing is highly conditional.

If the ability doesn't go off or if you don't have other creatures it's just a vanilla 8/8 on turn 7, which can be chumped or removed pretty easily.

You build around the card to try and get its effect off as fast as possible. So lots of ramp (via scions and land grab spells) and scry (and counter spells for those pesky removal). It's a viable card if you want to make a deck around it. If you do get the effect off you can have 7 Breaker of armies attacking on one turn.

Lightning bolt is overpowered in every respect of the word.
>1 mana
>3 damage
>Instant speed
>Can choose to target any creature, player, or planeswlaker

And? Literally no game is balanced.

>3 CMC dualed in the most control-centered colors
>0/8 defender, not bad
>Also has flying and shroud
Fucking hell. Might as well say "Opponent has to attack with two or more creatures to do anything".

So? The card costs 7 mana, does nothing the turn it enters the battlefield, and only does a cool thing under very conditional circumstances. Compare this with something like Pelakka Wurm (which is just considered okay really, and is an uncommon to boot) which does something useful when it enters play, when it dies, AND tramples over chump blockers. Deceiver of Form is cool and all but it's hardly what you would call powerful.

Big deal, 3 damage. People take that much after a fetch and a shockland. Besides, it's not like it can't be countered.

Yeah. But that requires them to be playing blue. Also, 3 damage can instantly knock out most early-game planeswalkers and creatures.

Every goddamn scary spell requires you to play a certain color to protect you or your life points, that's why I hate modern. I think there's worse cards out there than some simple insta-damage.

>Debilitating injury (common)
(1)B
Enchantment - aura
Enchanted creature gets -2/-2
>Dead weight (common)
B
Enchantment - aura
Enchanted creature gets -2/-2
POWER CREEEEEEEP

Path to exile is also overpowered as well.

my friend and i have been playing mtg together for about 2 months
he has a b/g deck with both debilitating injury and dead weight
any creatures i play for the first 4 turns get immediately shut down. tar snare, dead weight, etc.

Dead weight was printed in the original Innisarad, you twat.

I see those cards being similar to Lightning Bolt and Shock. Shock is objectivly inferior but if you really want more than 4 Lightning Bolts you have to option of Shock.

Why not fiery impulse?
Still, having one card at common rarity that is better in every way than a identical card is pretty retarded.

Morph cards are the reason why debilitating injury was an extra mana when you think about it. The 5 cmc flip cost for things that would survive trading is probably also a factor.

It is more bolt has permendtly deformed the expected powerlevel of burn.

all removal and counterspells should be taken out of magic

That's half the fun.

Would a card that cost 1WU and said "Creatures can't attack alone" be that fucked up?

Assume the set it's published in doesn't have Exalted

you'd still have both damaging the player, if swinging with 2. The wall blocks one.

How can a symmetrical game be unbalanced? In all formats, you both have access to the exact same card pool.

>uncommons are better than majority of rares

It's the kind of card I wish was Legendary so I could build some funky thopter-token EDH deck out of it.

You use 8 mana to cast it, then I use a 2 mana doom blade
Lol

what if that one creature had fear or was generally unblockable?

My dick is unbalanced.

Without LSG and chalice tangle wire sucks

turn advantage

>doom blade
>not StP
>ishiggydiggy

You could not do thopters with it because it would be colorless.

>i've never been stuck under a Tangle Wire.

also, what's LSG

user in the last thread posted an Emerica deck list that I forgot to save, anyone got it? Been trying to shitbrew something similar for a while now would really love to take another look

lodestone golem

> access to the exact same card pool.
You seem to be misunderstanding the Collectable part of CCG.

I wouldn't be playing with a competetive deck. Besides, cancel is just 1 mana :^)

It's balanced as long as both parties are ready to drop thousands of dollars on it.

What is cancel??? Or any other control card

or just stick to pauper
or play a good deck that doesn't cost trillions
or just be a better player

It's also far too expensive.

>ONLY CREATURES: The Gathering

Nah, bruh

that is why there are multiple games to a match

power level is relative.

or you could build a good deck.

>1 mana removal that works on everything that isn't hexproof/indestructible
>They get a tapped basic land in return.
Why the fuck is that not overpowered.

Neural network cards are the most overpowered
>*Mill players laughing in the distance*

Hexproof/shroud*
Still, you shouldn't be able to exile fucking ulamog for 1 mana.

yes you should because ulamog would be to powerful then.

>Player plays a card for 10 mana
>Immediately gets countered for 2, exiled for 1, or anything except staying on the battlefield.
>"I swear it's balanced guys" says the guy playing board wipes and removal spells every single turn.

amount of mana involved does not determine balance

With the ease that a Blue/Black deck can completely wipe and control every aspect of the game at one time is insane.

without any further information your statement is to nebulous to respond to

color combo does not determine power level alone

>3 different types of counterspells for 2 or less mana
>Damnation, doom blade, languish, etc
>Not control based counterspells and board wipes
Damn Veeky Forums is bad at magic

every color has access to many very potent spells when you are considering modern allowed sets

blue and black are not unique in that

The 10 mana beast usually does stuff on cast and has good things if it manages to stay

What about the 9 mana beasty at mythic rarity? I'm sure it's much more useful since it blocks the castings of removal and counterspells.

I fucking love void winnower. Just look at the official ruling here:
8/25/2015 Yes, your opponent can’t even. We know.

They usually do stuff when they resolve, not when they are cast, which is why Counterspells are so powerful.

No fuck this noise

Counter-spells window of opportunity is microscopic compared to other answers.
Considering other answers allow the ETB to occur and are on average 2 cmc, counter-spells are fucking over-costed

window of opportunity: counter-spells > other answers
ETB prevention : counter-spells > other answers

That's not even bad. What, did you just lose to a player running Tangle Wire? Go have your grumpy dumpies or whatever else people like you do when you're mad and give it a few hours before posting here.

I want someone to build a program that lets players compete online with cards randomly pulled from RoboRosewater's Twitter. It'd be easy enough if you just let players move cards around, draw/discard/exile and create custom tokens/counters manually.

>it's a symmetrical effect :^)

Recap on why planes-walkers are so bad

Planes-walkers are basically an undercosted enchantment, that pulls double duty as health extension/damage diversion, and have 3 spells on a stick, a stick which is effectively free every turn, one of those spells is effectively "I win" with more words attached

absolutely nothing like this would be allowed to exist under the current development ideologies of "nerf everything: creatures the tappening" (or any previous standards),
if they hadn't become the fucking poster-boys/girls of mtg, because WotC needed to appeal to nubs (Non Useful Bodies)

>bolt
>targetting a planeswalker

It's almost the same thing. You target the player and redirect the damage to the planeswalker.

It's only obtuse because they weren't in the game to begin with, so they need to make weird rules for them.

>enchantment that can be destroyed with combat damage
>enchantments that can have their abilities shut off by being set to a certain amount of counters

The only dumb things walkers do is make untouchable Emblems. With Sorin, he can make his emblem the turn he's played and you can never deal with it.

Emblems seem more like something from Conspiracy than anything.

>only dumb thing... Emblems

Ignore the fucking emblems
Nigger you get to play a free spell for almost every turn after you play it

its basically an under-costed isocron without a cmc restriction, that you don't have to continuously put mana in to, times 3

the mana cost comparison alone is mind-boggling

>Competitive deck
>doomblade

>Cancel
>1 Mana

2/10 apply yourself
You'll never catch any fish with that bait

ITT: Show me on the doll where he plowed you

So do you cram your deck full of fatties, or full of token spam, or lots of land grab and scry and counters? There's not enough room to do all the things you want it to and to have a good chance of getting creatures to the top of the deck when you need them.

I wish he was legendary. He would be such a dumb commander

>all these people complaining about basically nothing
Do you want to see something unbalanced? Take a look at this motherfucker.

>2 mana
>synergizes nicely with delirium and zombies
>reprinted multiple times but still $199 at it's absolute cheapest

Also:
>gitaxian probe
>inquisition of kozilek
>Iona, Archangel of ruining commander
>thing in the ice
>that new motherfucking sorin

>this motherfucker
dies to removal
>gitaxian probe
does literally nothing to a board state
>inquisition of kozilek
yet-anoter-Duress
unplayable outside of reanimator
>thing in the ice
lolwut
>that new motherfucking sorin
make him 2 mana cheaper and we talk

>Non-basic
To be honest, this almost lines up flavor-wise with red hating on your opponent's lands. Instead it's more specifically hating on your opponent for using fancy lands.

What it's really doing is punishing your opponents who are running more non-basic lands than not, which is entirely reasonable. Non-basic lands have had more cards than just this that hate on them over the years, like Dryad Sophisticate.

>dies to removal meme

>dies to removal
Everything dies to removal, this is why whelming wave and aetherspouts are good.
>does literally nothing to the board state
I think you missed the combo potential with thing in the ice. Anything with only pain mana as its cost is broken as shit, especially when paired with a 2 mana 4/4 defender that loses counters every time you cast an instant/sorcery, then flips into a fuckhuge board wipe. Also, it's pauper legal.
>yet-another-Duress
Eh, maybe you're right, like I said I've seen it paired very effectively with thing in the ice to make nubs cry.
>unplayable outside of reanimator
I don't agree, particularly in commander. I've played against dirty white control decks filled to the gills with mana-rocks and artifact tutors. It makes mono-colour decks basically useless.
>make him 2 mana cheaper and we talk
I'm okay with him being where he's at. He combos far too well with cryptghast and dark ritual. There are far too many ways to cheat him out and I can see next set having some disgusting black support.

>With Sorin, he can make his emblem the turn he's played and you can never deal with it.
The only Sorin that can do that is Sorin, Lord of Innistrad. So what if your opponent's creatures have one more power now, big deal. There's a lot worse things you can do for four mana.

>unplayable outside of reanimator

Yeah too true. On a side note I make sure to stick Grapeshot in aggro and mid-range decks.

>4 mana 4/3
>Can kill a player in 5 turns
>Chump blocking can't kill it
>Swords to plowsharing gives the opponent 4 life, 1 life above a fucking bolt
>Saddening flavor text

Magic is such unbalanced bullshit

Sauce on pic?

All of those things can be played around with both in game desicions and deck building.

There are enchantments that also give you a free spell every turn, and Planeswalkers are more vulnerable since you can attack and deal damage to them.

cast aoi

Don't like the way an MtG format is balanced? Then create your own. Look up 'cube drafting.'

Until then: cry more, bitch nigga.

go ahead and name a few

>7 CMC for--
Stopped reading.
You could literally have a card that said 'you win the game' for 7 CMC and it wouldn't be OP (outside limited and the current standard meta but even then you'd still lose to aggro)

>does nothing the turn it enters the battlefield

I'VE BEEN ON Veeky Forums FOR 30 FUCKING SECONDS AND YOU'VE ALREADY EXEMPLIFIED WHY I DON'T COME HERE TO DISCUSS MAGIC, AND YOU WERE ARGUING A POINT I AGREE WITH TO SOMEONE WHO IS EVEN WORSE AT MAGIC.