/pfg/ - Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Anti-Mage Edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
pastebin.com/YhdxTQS6

How do swordsmen get by in a world of wizards?

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Thunderstone
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cat
youtube.com/watch?v=PikszBkfTHM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Anti-Mage Edition
Oh, I guess this isn't a 3.x thread

>How do swordsmen get by in a world of wizards?

As cannon fodder.

>dual crossbows
>not even hand crossbows
This guy has to be like 12th level and beating up CR 3 monsters in his woods for it to be plausible that he's getting use out of this style... which I guess isn't too unplausible a scenario anyway. Lots of high level NPCs probably get that way from beating up low-level stuff actually. Only something like an adventurer or gladiator would even want to fight something CR-appropriate - ergo most high level NPCs probably don't know how fucking shit their builds are. What an enlightening image.

Just go into cleric, that way you know how a sword works and what can it do.

Otherwise just be the cohort of a caster, is not that bad and you can survive while not interfere with them

I'm doing a a high level barbarian build, what's better, insane dr and rage cycling or 200+ damage pounce charges at the cost of having sub par hitpoints and even worse AC then the pure DR build?

Which ability give you a muscular body?
STR or CON?

This makes so much sense after looking at the iconics.

I guess a wizard can afford to rent a lot of bodyguards in return for magical services.

I think Pathfinder gives more options for alchemical tools for use against wizards. If I have to challenge the mages, then I give the NPCs a few thunderstones.

You means by being a Barbarian who DICE AND SLICE MAGIC.

Thunderstones?

Magic.
Or being able to Sneak Attack well.

Can you tell us more about the campaign?

What to you expect to fight?

No idea, was told that I'd end up going mythic. I'm leaning towards abusing flesh wound and the rage cycle, but 200 damage before weapon damage rolls on a charge seems like the sort of thing that stops fights before they begin.

The former, unless you have ways to not get hit and ways to ensue charge lanes.

STR is muscles.

CON, on the other hand, is your vitality. The jolly fat man (jolly because his girth has only made him stronger somehow and he knows very few in his position are so lucky) who can eat anything without gagging and hold more liquor than the whole party combined. The curvaceous courtesan who consistently outlasts her clients and hasn't lost her looks despite being in her 40's. The kid at school who can't dish out a beating, but wards off the bullies by simply refusing to go down when they punch him. The mighty bulwark of a frontliner who can be a pincushion of arrows and barely even feel it.

These are all high-CON people.

They mean whatever they need to. STR can be GUTS and CON can be DETERMINATION for your specific character, if you want.

By going recruiting. A lot.

>d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Thunderstone

>You can throw this stone as a ranged attack with a range increment of 20 feet. When it strikes a hard surface (or is struck hard), it creates a deafening bang that is treated as a sonic attack. Each creature within a 10-foot-radius spread must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be deafened for 1 hour. A deafened creature, in addition to the obvious effects, takes a –4 penalty on initiative and has a 20% chance to miscast and lose any spell with a verbal component that it tries to cast.

>Since you don't need to hit a specific target, you can simply aim at a particular 5-foot square. Treat the target square as AC 5.

Doesn't sound that great. I mean, it's better than nothing but it'll only really be failed at low levels

Not who you were responding to, but those alchemical items are a great idea. I'll have to pick up a few for the next time a fight breaks out between my character and the party wizard.

>The curvaceous courtesan who consistently outlasts her clients and hasn't lost her looks despite being in her 40's.

I know who my next character is going to be...

If you had good-to-great (16-18) stats in all three physical attributes, what would that character look like?

A half-elf?

For low-level play (Level 6 and below), it's a nightmare to try and fight off reliably.

Kurgess.

Be like him.

I don't know who the fuck that is.

Why does everyone always post some random anime bullshit and expect us to know who it is?

>be Spiritualist, Fear Phantom
>Wizards look down on you because you're not a fullcaster
>Martials look down on you because you don't even lift
>your Phantom doesn't talk much so you're basically alone

Why even live?

NORMIE GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What, badly drawn? I wish I'd known earlier, I'll show up that sorcerer for sure now!

R E V E R S E I M A G E S E A R C H

Do this for all the stats please. I want to know what each stat spec looks like.

Okay, so he's some random character from an anime called Bleach.

How does that help me at all?

A half-elf Kineticist

Ideally, by being so incredibly badass they don't need magic and mages fear someone who has succeeded without a single spell.

In Pathfinder, be a mage's waifu, husbando, or bro4life.

He cut spell and stuff. Pretty much spell sunder barbarian.

The champion weightlifter, heaving mighty loads for great spans of time. The wiry scrapper you SWEAR shouldn't be able to hit that hard. The raging Owlbear that just knocked over your cabbage cart.

These are all high-STR individuals.

The lithe dancer, twirling about in her enticing ways. The thieving urchin, leaping from rooftop to rooftop and twisting through alleyways. The sprinter, bounding forward at unimaginable speed.

These are all high-DEX people.

The charming countess, elegant in dress and manner, whose seductive words few can resist. The firebrand demagogue, whose speeches rally the masses to action. The foolhardy Sorcerer, whose sheer force of will powers the magic within him.

These are all high-CHA individuals.

The eccentric alchemist, brewing in his laboratory. The aging scholar, privy to tomes and techniques few have even heard of. The shrewd businessman, who knows by heart the value of everything under the sun. The expert architect, who plans every building he oversees such that even an earthquake cannot budge it.

These are all high-INT individuals.

The high-school dropout who, despite his lack of education, is surprisingly insightful. The shrewd detective, capable of sniffing out even the best-worded lies. The elder confessor, who some say can see into the souls of others to find what ails them. The roving survivalist, unable to read a book but capable of reading the weather and the seasons by the feeling in his bones and the movements of the birds.

These are all high-WIS individuals.

He is the crazy and strong thickhead character from a shit tier anime

I think he bring in that character because in his world all other characters have some epic power but him, who only fights with pure strenght and sword, no magic. just brute force.

>Wow, you guys should totally fucking go through the effort of reverse image searching this random-ass anime image, because I can't be fucking bothered to tell you!

>he doesn't know about the Big Three Shounen
>in Weaboo Central
>reverse image-searching somehow takes more effort than explaining the metaphysics of BLEACH of all things

>Telling someone who a character is = explaining metaphysics

Bleach has lasted only a slightly shorter period of time than fucking multicellular life, if anyone wasn't into it before, they'll be breathing with a goddamn respirator by the time they catch up.

As I recall, the one time he actually uses a real swordfighting technique, he cuts a previously invulnerable enemy in half.

>Anti-mage
>Conventional missile weapons
So this nigga get lucky and win initiative and a surprise round and get a few shots off, the wizard or sorcerer(heh) in question, Casts fickle winds and flies up while giggling and giving him a peek of their wizard pants under their robes.

What does he do?

Speaking from experience as a someone who's played a build like that and had one played under me as DM, the massive 200+ damage charge builds are fun and spectacular... for the first couple encounters. As a player it gets dull unless you just have a boner for big numbers because whatever you hit you destroy. Everything else you could possibly be doing isn't as useful as more or less automatically removing one threat per turn with your charge, so it's all you do.
From the DM perspective it's the balance problem. How do you make something challenging for Killrager McAxefuck, without making it death on contact for everyone else. Moreover while its kinda cathartic the first time, there's only so many ways to describe he barbarian Atomizing some poor bastard before it just becomes, "yup, he's dead too. Next."
Long story short, if this is going to be a a short game, go right ahead, it'll be awesome. If it's going to last a while, consider something else.

So I'm a fairly new DM who is about to run Carrion Crown for a bunch of new players. However, one of the group members had to drop out at the last minute because of a change in his work schedule.
I've heard many anons say that AP's are pretty easy so I was wondering how much the party would get their shit pushed in with only 3 people. I recognize that it'll be a bit harder without a fourth player but is the difficulty enough that I should rework the encounters? I'm pretty shit at making encounters(hence the AP) and don't really want to change anything if I don't have too..

Depends a lot on what they're playing, and how well they can utilize those classes. What is the group composition like? How experienced are they?

Depends on what the three players are making.
A cleric, a magus, and a ranger are going to have a lot less trouble than three core rogues or a team of two monks and a samurai.
In my general experience though, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Three players can usually handle things. Might have to rest more often, but not cripplingly so. Also, the APs usually have a slew of helpful NPCs that can sometimes come along for the ride and help out if need be.

>Galebreaker's Stance

>Your ability to accurately read the wind allows you to fight effectively even in the most adverse conditions. While you maintain this stance, you do not take any penalties on ranged attacks due to high wind speed, and your ranged attacks ignore the wind wall spell and similar magical wind effects that would negatively affect them.

We've got an Order of the Road Cavalier, A Child Juju Oracle, and a Paladin of Iomedae. The players have none or very little experience with tabletop games.

I was thinking about giving them a wandering priest if they couldn't handle the encounters. One focused on healing and buffs so as not to steal the spotlight.

>>iosan mage hunters
>>giving a fuck about magic spells preventing them from shooting you in the face

choose 1.

Also,if it's a character mage hunter, so it's probably more like

>>get shot
>>can't cast spells at all anymore because fuck you

That kind of trio shouldn't have to terribly much trouble actually. As for the NPC priest, that might help if they're getting into a lot of tight spots on their own.

The wandering priest could be a good idea IF you don't fall into the trap of the DMPC. If they're Whitebread McBlandasfuckguy whose whole purpose in the group is to make dat gold and keep people alive, leaving effectively everything but "healing folks after fights" to the rest of the group, it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, don't listen to /pfg/ and make them a healslut. That is opening pandora's box and nothing good will come of it.

After a long time of freeform roleplaying, DMPC's are the LAST thing I want to make. I was thinking of making him a sickly childhood friend of the Paladin.
He focuses on healing and buffs to keep himself alive if his body decides to attempt to shut down.

>high heels
Why.

Because they're sexy, it doesn't matter if they make you easier to kill.

If I'm giving a class a bunch of options to add their choice of mental attribute modifier to various shit (because they currently have *nothing* to do with a nice mental score if they have one), should the Charisma choice get an extra +1? Like is it worse than the other two by enough to merit assistance that way?

Maybe mounted archery. High heels work well for cavalry

Iunno, those look a bit different than mounted heels.

Carry on then, user. Most APs are designed for a party of 4 total jobbers (BSF Fighter, CRB Rogue, Healing Cleric, Blaster Wizard) so a party of three folks with an NPC healer probably will be able to make due.

If need be, fudge a little in favor of your players.

>tfw the last session ended three hours ago
>tfw I feel nothing
>tfw I'm almost glad it's over

What's wrong with me I thought these were supposed to be jubilant times.

Tell me /pfg/ how would your 1st level characters fare against this?

0/10 would get viciously mauled by

If they managed to charge it, they should have a decent chance of hitting. If not, it might get brutal.

My current 1st level character is a Collegiate Initiate Arcanist, so he would probably just revel in his +7 Initiative and cast Sleep, spending a point to increase the DC and hoping the cat doesn't roll a 14.

That isn't how you're supposed to hold a cat.

>so he would probably just revel in his +7 Initiative and cast Sleep, spending a point to increase the DC and hoping the cat doesn't roll a 14.

What if the cat gets initiative?

Luckily, that cat is actually a dragon.

I'm just saying, you'd think any cat would REVEL in the chance to go to sleep. They do it the 40% of the day they're not licking themselves and eating. Would likely voluntarily fail the Will save.

That's okay, because it's a dragon.

He has the Warded Against Nature drawback, so the cat would stand 30 feet away from him indefinitely and he wouldn't have to deal with it at all.

Not very well.

It's a good thing they got nerfed in Pathfinder.

>d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cat

>Muh third party

Windy Escape one of the hits to guarantee survival on the first round, then 5 foot step back and cast.

That's just a regular cat though, not a dire house cat.

That's not a dire cat though

>tfw accidentally gave my players an encounter of CR 11 when their average level is 6.5

how do I unfuck this?
They could probably beat it but not without major losses.

>Cats
>Dragons

What's the difference?

Weaken it? Use fiat? C'mon dude

It's a fucking warmachine mage hunter, wtf you want me to do?

What's the encounter made of?

The direct route is to give it a subtle nerf, like a penalty to saves or AC.
Alternatively, you could give it some interesting weakness like a Zelda boss that they can make a Knowledge check to find and exploit.
Knowing what the monster is would help as well, along with party composition.

Wings and scales instead of hypnotically soft fur, really.

The difference between an owl, a cat and a dragon is mostly dependent on if it can fly or not.

I have pictures of adventurers is way more impractical heels than what I posted. That looked reasonable.

I didn't notice Dire. I thought it was a joke from 3.0 where a common cat could kill a 1st level wizard or sorcerer. It became known as the Dire Common Cat.

That should be adorable, but something seems off.

It's worth noting that your character can technically look like almost anything despite the stats.

Cha in particular gets represented as 'beauty', but it's a non-physical stat. The meek librarian that no one pays attention to is a low cha character, where the heavily scarred warrior that everyone *knows* is a badass the moment he enters a room is a high cha character.

A decent real life example would be someone like Jean Cretien (former PM of canada) who despite having half his face paralyzed and in general being kind of ugly, was very charming, eloquent (despite the accent) and distinct... and he had a ruthless political mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=PikszBkfTHM

>GM sends a mage hunter after your 15th level wizard
>Its a copy paste of this guy
>1d3 hasted Celestial Tyrannosaurus eat his face in one round

What seems off about it?

So what you're saying is that you suggest he'll end up as One-Punch Man?

>level 19
>+1 Greataxe

A player decided to go dumpster diving and accidentally went and encountered where the big bad was hiding, aka a fucking hueg jellyfish.

>not even a composite bow
>12 strength
all of my keks

I think it's a combination of their fluffiness and where the black fur is on their faces.

The fluffiness makes them look muscular and the black fur around the eyes makes them intimidating.

>Wastes a turn activating his chime of interruption
>DC15+SL Concentration check
>Feels all smug and superior knowing that the's resistant to evocation spells
>Shoots you with his 1d8+1 bow attacks
>Doesnt even have Clustered shots

WEW

...The scary anti-mage NPC can't hit as hard as any of the fourth-level PCs in my current campaign. What the FUCK?

They are adorable but wouldn't think twice about killing a man
They aren't domesticated

Is it really poorly built?

It was said in the last thread, and I'll say it again-Paizo has problems making characters that are good at the things they're supposed to be good at.

But the art is fantastic

Unless it's a Mage.

Well, I suppose you're right there.