Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/
If you would like assistance with character optimization, please mention which third-party sources are allowed.

How do you use mind control in your games? How often do you get to mind control others? How do you roleplay being mind controlled?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1twEab3PBHvzMLTrx_UJak4P9g5avkvVaZfrBiMPI-6s/edit?usp=sharing
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/heralds/herald-of-passion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

( - 3 - )

Anybody have suggestions on things the DM should keep in mind while running Iron Gods?

Seconding. I'm running my second session this weekend.

I was more focused on the environment we'll be in: Underground dungeons, tight spaces in which an animal might get in the way, lots of dark, lots of potential for traps and the like...

As such, a Ranger who can see in low-light or dark, spot traps and potential danger, maybe even scout out, while firing arrows during battle, all with Favored Enemy being Construct, and Favored Terrain being Underground, with Dungeoneering knowledge, etc... That's what I'm thinking. I know we've got mostly melee people in my group already, plus I enjoy ranged play.

>want to play a Mesmerist
>feel guilty about it

Save me from this Hell.

>that fucking disney snake again
/d/ pls... PLS

I don't.

I once had a character that was mind control themed, specialized in charm spells specifically.

Her backstory (tl;dr version)was that she'd been kidnapped at infancy by Fey because of her sorcerous potential, and then placed in a "utopia" style village where everyone was under charm spells to get along. Eventually some Paladins got wind of this and broke the spell on the village, which basically shattered her life up to that point. She came to the conclusion that only magically enforced altruism was real because it was 'unconditional' and that all other love or kindness was self serving in some way.

She had a habit of charming people, including party members, and wasn't averse to being charmed herself. She did end up charming the party's Ranger and Witch (with their players' permission, of course), and generally terrified the Barbarian and Inquisitor. In one case there was almost a fight when the Barbarian confronted her about it and the Witch got pretty defensive of her best friend, but it was eventually diffused via some gentle orders to stop fighting.

Alas that game fell into scheduling hell and died shortly after, but it was fun while it lasted.

Don't worry so much.

Siegebreaker Fighter seems like a really cool archetype to play with. I've got a lot of love for Dungeoncrashers and this scratches a similar niche, albeit approaching it in a slightly different way. You'll want to only make it a two-level fighter dip since you're going to want access to Ranger/Slayer Bonus Feats to get some tricks.

Ranger 1: Power Attack
Ranger 2: Shield Slam
Fighter 1: Imp. Bull Rush
Fighter 2:
Ranger 3: Imp. Overrun
Ranger 4:
Ranger 5: G. Overrun
Ranger 6: Shield Master

As a standard action, you deal your shield damage and generate a free Bull Rush which deals STR+2+Shield Mod damage. This procs a free Overrun attempt, which deals the same damage, as well as tripping the enemy and provoking an AoO. This can trigger Shield Slam again, at which point you run the whole thing over again on a prone enemy. All of this comes as a standard action to boot, so you're very mobile and have quite a bit of battlefield control.

If you were going to open up access to 3rd party, taking Ambush Hunter Ranger to pick up Snapping Turtle Stance and some strikes would make the combo that much stronger. Shield Master lets you pick up a very powerful weapon for relatively little gold, although you could swap it for something else if you were so inclined.

Quick damage calculations - at level 8 your +4 Heavy Shield (most of your WBL, but it's also covering both armor and damage so it's very worth it) deals 1d4+22 (Shield Slam) + 12 + 12 damage, and then you run those numbers again on the AoO. I assumed 22 STR there, and I didn't include the bonus you'd get from either Favored Enemy, Studied Combat/Sneak Attack or Initiating.

On the whole it seems pretty strong, albeit vulnerable to DR; I'd argue that you use the properties of the triggering attack to penetrate DR, i.e. the shield's weapon enchantment bonus or material, but some DMs might not agree. What do you think, /pfg/? Did I miss something, or is this good/as much fun as it looks like it'd be?

Beeline PBS, Precise Shot and Rapid Shot. Deadly Aim is good but not that much of a priority. If you want to Animal Companion then pick up Boon Companion at 5th, otherwise don't worry about it. Get Imp. Precise Shot with your level 6 bonus feat since it's early access, get Manyshot at 7 if you get that far (I don't remember how big the spire is) since it's godly.

If you want to dump Animal Companion then Divine Tracker is pretty good, the blessings aren't huge but they'll add a lot more than a level 1 druid AC does at level 4.

Mind control bugs me so much because when I fall to it, I have to do it properly.

My character acts normal otherwise and rationalizes to themself why they suddenly adamantly insist on whatever they're made to do in a way that doesn't overtly feel out of place, but when this belief is really out of character they become a sort of uncanny valley version of themselves.

I once got another player to think I was a moron for a week because my character was mindcharmed into abandoning the party for selfish reasons and they thought I was just being stubbornly in character.

Good blessings from Divine Tracker for a ranged attacker are Air, Destruction and Good. I'm a fan of Charm as well, slapping that on a frontliner before going into battle can be killer.

Stop making threads and kill yourself, shitposter.

So I took a look at the Silver Champion archetype for Paladin from Legacy of Dragons, and on cursory glance I am not sure that the Archetype is worth it. I get this odd feeling that, like a lot of other Archetype's it might not be as good as just a regular Paladin? Am I right in my guesswork or does it come out at least a wash?

Drop a scan or pastebin the text? I haven't seen an actual leak yet, although if you have that it'd be nice.

Cool, I'll do some reading on Divine. But on that note, since Spire's mostly underground dungeons, what're your thoughts on going Deep Walker/Dungeon Rover archetype?

Hello again everyone! The Unchained Fighter has gone through another round of edits, fixes, additions, and more.

The Changelog is as follows:
>Edited the Blood Tainted a bit
>Changed the following Advanced Equipment Training(s): Scrounger, Fortification Expertise, and Mend the Broken
>Added the following new Advanced Equipment Training(s): Soldier's Intuition
>Added the following new Advanced Armor Training(s):Stupendous Physique
>Changed the following Advanced Weapon Training(s):Push the Advantage, Bloody Work, Voley
>Added the following new Advanced Weapon Training(s): Overwatch
>Added the following new Feat(s): Extra Advanced Equipment Training

If you would like the reasoning on any of these changes feel free to ask, as always I am very willing to take feedback where ever it is given. You may either respond to this post with feedback, or following the link below and comment on the google doc directly:
docs.google.com/document/d/1twEab3PBHvzMLTrx_UJak4P9g5avkvVaZfrBiMPI-6s/edit?usp=sharing

I have included a PDF of the class with this post.

Deep Walker yes, you're not losing anything since it's all going to be Underground. Dungeon Rover is... okay. You won't be able to combine it with Divine Tracker though since they both modify Hunter's Bond.

It's shit. Apsu's domain spells have a couple nice quirks but are shit when it comes to smiting all that evil, and drakes make for shitty mounts, which would be the main reason you'd ever want one. Add delayed spellcasting and all that, and the archetype isn't just worth it.

In other news I did more work on the Unchained Cavalier today. I have moved away from each order having their own specific mounts, instead having a list of mounts (locked with level requirements) behind two class features. These being at 4th and 8th level. The 4th level on unlocks far more monstrous animal mounts (such as elephants, dinosaurs, megafauna, and the like), and at 8th level unlocking a series of magical beasts. In the end I am still trying to incorporate the iconic idea of a dragon rider with the rest of them. In addition I am attempting to incorporate vermin mounts.

The other main thing is a complete overhaul of the Banner class feature I am currently doing. Instead of being a single static thing the Cavalier has access to many banners, each providing unique bonuses or advantages. As the Cavalier levels up he gains access to new banners. An example is Banner of the Hopeful Dawn, which sheds light as if the center of the Daylight spell, in addition evil creatures caught in this light receive a level dependent penalty on AC and saving throws.

Finally Oaths and Orders have been separated, so as to cut down on writing many similar oaths due to the overall limited design space. Oaths shall cover both in and out of combat abilities, allows the Cavalier to specialize in certain tasks befitting his flavor. Oaths in practice shall act similar to Rage Powers, or Rogue Talents, in which a cavalier shall choose from a list.

I gotchu senpai.

Yeah, this looks rough. I'd be tempted to go with the Ranger one instead since it looks like it gives up considerably less, but I'm not sure offhand what those restrictions mean.

Akashic Mysteries.

It's gonna be jackshit
You lose all the scaling stuff that makes the drake not absolutely worthless.

Can someone with Horror Adventures tell us about the Blood Alchemist? Specifically, what it replaces?

So stacking Deep Walker and Divine might be a viable option? Not really sure how Archetype stacking works but I'll look into it.

>even Drakerider guts the Cavalier

I just wanted to be Hiccup.

Many thanks, user.

Oh and furthermore, does Deep Walker's Deep Knowledge replacing Favored Terrain will outright eliminate the Ranger's ability to not be tracked underground? It doesn't even mention it... But then again I don't know if anything in Emerald Spire will be tracking us anyway.

Dunno where that extra "will" came from but yeah...

>tfw no mount-focused Discipline
>tfw no Ride-based Initiator

Why would you wish such a thing on innocent people.

What would that even be? Can't you use maneuvers while on a mount already? What would having a mount enable discipline wise?

But mounts are cool. I mean Pathfinder mounted rules are a mess, but the idea is definitely sound. A discipline focused on bringing your mount to the upper limit. It could be focused on maximizing mobility and defense as opposed to slapping hard.

Definitely more viable an idea than another "weapon style discipline"

Currently mounts and maneuvers don't really interact.

Also
Has some ideas.

I just want a real reason to ride around on things.

I dunno, maybe call it Golden Rectangle or Steel Sphere or Spiral Tusk or something, focus it on piercing barriers and incorporeality using techniques that can only be executed from the back of a mount?

I just really want to play a mount-based character and not suck compared to the Barbarian who just jumped onto the Synthesist's back and had a go at it.

I also like 's ideas.

>tfw no Discipline with Fly as the associated skill
Why

I played a thrallherd before. I was a tactician going into it. The girl playing the enchanter got pissed because I was stepping on her toes. It was bogus.

Chuminin

3 is best. What's the best way of achieving this in PF?

I would play the shit out of Spiral Tusk. Especially if it lets me do sick shit with my fingernails.

About where on the balance scale would something be that functions like fast healing, except instead of recovering X points of HP damage per round, it instead converts X points lethal into nonlethal damage? I'm developing some encounters with great old ones cultists, and I thought this could be an interesting spin on things.

Ridiculously high diplomacy?

But user, DSP hates mounts and ranged combat. It'll never exist.

Fleshgraft this monster ability onto yourself:
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/heralds/herald-of-passion
>Alluring Scent (Ex)
>The Herald of Passion's subtle aroma causes creatures in her vicinity to become placid and react favorably toward her. Any creature that fails a DC 25 Fortitude save against the aura improves its attitude toward the Herald of Passion one step closer to friendly. Creatures with the scent ability take a –4 penalty on this saving throw. Creatures in the aura must attempt a saving throw each minute. This is a mind-affecting poison effect. The DC is Constitution-based.

Shield slam requires +6 bab.

>She can conceive and give birth, though it is rare for her to do this as she must remain in elven form for the duration of her pregnancy and the Goddess of Passion dislikes having her herald unavailable for extended periods. Her offspring are usually mortal elves resembling feytouched, aasimar, or tieflings, though some have enough magic in them to be born as young vengeance demons.

Why is this included? Does it mean Calistria and the Herald of Passion are aroused at the thought of being bred?

Who isn't, user?

Is there any published method to make things like Weapon Focus or Improved Critical count for a weapon group instead of a single weapon?
1pp, 3pp - anything works, as long as it's published.

Preferably something other than Fighter AWT, but that is a potential last resort.

People who prefer to be doing the breeding.

Pretty sure Martial Versatility does just that, it's human only though (for some strange reason) and Fighter 4. That'll work for 1 feat, but if you want to transfer them all, that'll be Martial Mastery, which is also human and 16th level (again, for some strange reason). Fighters hate being good with more than 1 weapon.

Thoughts on this?

Starting at 2nd level and at every 2nd level thereafter, a fighter may choose a talent from the advanced weapon and advanced armor training feats.
Additionally, he is treated as an avenger vigilante of his level for purposes of taking vigilante talents that he is eligible for.

In addition, the fighter picks two saves, these are his good saves.

So a better avenger without social talents?

It so happens that my character is already an elf. Is there a way around the human-only?

Explain to your GM that these feats being human locked is a special kind of garbage.

Fighter 16 is a much worse part of it.

Explain to your GM that these feats requiring any amount of fighter levels is a special kind of garbage.

Unfortunately, it's a very RAW-wanking GM, even though often 3pp-allowing, while I'm rather afraid of not getting the weapons I have Improved Critical with in treasure hoards.

Explain to your GM that he is special kind of garbage.

Either way, I found the solution in a 3 level Weapon Master dip, taking the Gloves of Dueling, and the AWT feat.
A 3 level dip into fighter is far from optimal, but I don't see another choice here.

If I'm multiclassing I can put skill ranks into whatever I want right? Like if I'm a rogue/fighter during my fighter levels I can still improve my stealth?

Well, bringing the fighter up to par.

Can you help a newbie?
I just got to level 3 with my first character, a half-orc druid, and i can't decide on what feat i should get. We only use the core rulebook and we are playing the rise of the runelords campaign.
At character creation i got Toughness, because he is a guy who has lived alone in the woods for a long time and i suspected a little extra hitpoints never hurt.
Any suggestions (and also general newbie tips) are very appreciated

By making it a better avenger with no social talents? You're just making a slightly more combat heavy avenger, that's not addressing the problems that just being an avenger do where you get social talents to actually help do things other than fight.

You can put your ranks wherever anyway, broseph.

Fighters can put ranks in stealth just fine. Rogues having it as a Class skill gives them a +3 for having at least one rank in it.

First tip is not to take anything people in /pfg/ say too seriously.

Some people are incapable of switching off the optimization impulses.

What kind of druid? Are you planning to focus on casting, melee(via wild shaping) or both? In either case, Improved Initiative is always a good choice, even more so since you're a caster.

Also, your 5th level feat will be Natural Spell. This is not up to debate.

Well, then allow the advanced armor and weapon training talents only if getting the vigilante talents irk you.

Alright coolio thanks for the clarification.

Greetings /pfg/. another newbie here.

My DM gave the party randon magical items and mine allows me to cast Phase Door once a day. the way I see the spell it basically let me walk through a wall once a day and that's it. If I'm right I doubt I would make much use of it but I don't wanna sell it and spit in the DM's charity, we've been struggling with shit gear and scrap untill now.

So, I ask you fine people, do you have any cool ideas to use said item? my limited experience with the system really limits my creativity here.

>hates ranged combat
>have best gun using archetypes
>have ranged weapon oriented disciplines and feats, that makes ranged combat viable
Something is wrong here, but I can't understand, what.

thanks! I was thinking of a more combat oriented character since we have already two sorcerers in our party. I still wanna be able to use some utility/support spells tough.
i figured that. i don't mind having a too strong/weak character as long as it's stats make sense given his personality

Then thoughts on just the advanced armor and weapon training talents.

The fighter's skills should really increased 4+Int.
No class should have 2+Int skills.

What about the Hussar template?

>No class should have 2+Int skills.
What about whizzard?

Except for wizard. They shouldn't get more nice things.

Honestly, wizard getting another two skill points wouldn't even break things.

Just set a baseline of 'nobody below 4+ skill points'

Just like how d4 HD got the boot.

The wizard should revert back to d4 hit points.

Having on average an extra hit point isn't what makes wizards powerful, user.

If you want to make them weaker, address the actual problems.

So, how's this idea?
Archetypes which normally wouldn't be considered stackable may be stacked with that archetype.

Can brains in a jar command 30 zombies? My DM presented it and I couldn't help but wonder that brain in a jar is far too weak to commando a whooping 30 zombies.

Makes sense to me.

A brain in a jar has a lot less to take care of than the brain of like, a dude who's still running around doing shit.

But it is only 3 HD.

Does the rangers track ability only use ranger levels? It just says "half his level" and they seem pretty consistent in saying "half his x level" with x being a class.

Is it doing ANYTHING other than commanding those zombies?

It doesn't even have to worry about like, heartbeat or temperature regulation or breathing, that brain stem is out for rent man.

In that case Power Attack might also be a solid choice. You probably won't want too many casting related feats, but something like Extend Spell might be helpful if you can't easily get your hands on metamagic rods; going for spell focus(conjuration) and then augment summoning at 7th level might also be a good choice, since you can spontaneously cast summoning spells. Crafting magic items is something you should talk about with other players so you won't have too much redundancy, but I find that having something like Craft Wondrous Items in the party is usually a good idea. Depending on how available magic items are in your campaign, something like Brew Potion(or Craft Wand if at least one of the sorcerer's has UMD) might be good or even necessary just so someone can heal you in case you get knocked into negatives. If you do decide to pick up a crafting feat, make sure you read the rules for magic item crafting carefully, and make sure your GM is okay with having that in the campaign(some GMs are not). Having more than one crafting feat per PC is not advisable, since in my experience downtime is generally fairly limited, and crafting even relatively cheap items takes at least one day per item except for scrolls and potions.

When it comes to class abilities, unless the ability specifies CHARACTER level, it's always class level.

im playing a wizard, and just leveled up to level 5. I've got no idea what feats to take, what should i take?
currently have Augment Summoning, Improved Initiative and Spell Focus (Conjuration)

I want to be a dandy necromancer!

Is there a way to make my zombie flying mount more pleasing to look at? Is there a way to stop it from rotting or smelling bad?

Too bad skeletons can't fly..

Academae Graduate

You can take it as a bonus feat from the Weapon and Shield style list at level Ranger 2.

According to our adventure, no, it wasn't doing anything besides commanding those zombies. I'm pretty new to DnD but I just thought a weakling like a brain in the jar shouldn't have the power to command 30 zombies.

Reword this in English.

So what is the best of Horror Adventure and the worst?

>Sadly, not compatible with the night stalker, which is its most complimentary archetype.
The serial killer should be stackable with the above archetype.

So I'm working on a setting, and I'm looking to really differentiate the heavy armor wearers from the agile dodgers. I've come up with a combo of alternate rules that I think might work, but I wanna run it past some people to see if there are any major mechanically implications I'm overlooking that might break things too badly. Also, keep in mind as I present this that the group I plan to run it for is not heavy on optimizers (in fact, the only other player in the group that's good at optimization will likely have moved away by the time I get to run this), so I'm looking for advice based on a group that won't be going out of their way to break anything.

So, the idea is simple on the surface: I want to combine armor as damage reduction and 3.5's class-based defense bonus. Armor as DR is on the PFSRD, and for those who don't know of the defense bonus, it's basically the following: you gain a bonus to AC based on the highest armor proficiency you have (none +2, light +3, medium +4, heavy +6; +1 per 3 levels) which doesn't stack with armor bonuses to AC, but does stack with shields. However, my change would be that this bonus is a direct increase to your effective Dexterity bonus to AC, which means it doesn't apply while flat-footed, and it's limited by your armor's maximum Dexterity bonus.

I think this will give a very distinct difference, mechanically speaking, between those who wish to go lightly armored or unarmored and dodge attacks, and those who want to throw on the heaviest armor they can get and just rely on DR to no-sell all the hits they'll be taking thanks to their low AC. So, are there any glaring issues I'm missing that will break my game if I do this?