/pfg/ - Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Necromancy Edition: Share your stories about the spooky scary skeletons in your campaigns.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

Previous Thread:

>bludgeoning damage is blocked by energy resistance
>shocking grasp bloodrager is a great blaster
>Toughness is a bad feat
>If you don't win in 1.5 rounds by yourself you are dead
>fighters can kill more than 1 creature per round
wew lad

First for greatsword-swinging lunatics!

Reposting for opinions on Racial feats that give SLAs.

Which is better, lich dragon (ravener) or ghost dragon (wyrmwraith)?
And by better I mean cooler.
I really like the wyrmwraith, it would make an excellent large-scale villain.

>Toughness
>not a bad feat for anyone who isn't a caster because feat chains exist and take forever to slog through

>feat chain
>kinestist
Just quit while you're ahead mate.

My level 8 Kingmaker party almost get TPK against 5 Xills. They got higher initiative roll and full-attack us in the first round and 3 people got paralyze.

How do I deal with shit like this? Freedom of Movement at all time?

I'm still here, asking about them potion problems.

>12th

Grab an Emet Tablet from Steelforge. Melee touch attack, stuns a Construct for two rounds, no save. Better than a potion despite its very singular purpose because it's still very cheap and guarantees that Golem is dead or that you got away from it.

As for the rest, you're probably better off investing in UMD (despite your bad CHA) enough that you can Take 10 out of combat to use a Wand of Infernal Healing (or Lesser Vigor if you can use the 3.5e version that isn't Evil but accomplishes the same shit) between fights. A Wand of Protection from Evil goes a long way if you fight things like Aboleths with charms and compulsions; you don't have a party to snap you out of it, after all. Plus it's a bit of AC against Evil outsiders, so there's that. Try buying them with half charges for half the price if you can get away with it, you're not going to use 25 charges before you can afford to replace them.

Probably an Ironskin potion to boost AC for those inevitable boss encounters, a couple of strong healing potions for 'oh shit' moments, and maybe a really high CL Greater Magic Weapon for +5ing your spear or whatever for that really tough to hit enemy you're about to fight.

Like a golem.

Besides that, I dunno. My only advice is to run away often. You don't have a party to rez you, and you're basically playing a roguelike.

Generally shit. If you haven't looked into it, the Tome of Awesome by Frank K. Trollman (also known as TOME) has its Spheres system (unrelated to spheres of power).

Basically, you get one Domain's worth of spells as SLAs that you gain access to as you level. Each time you 'gain' a Sphere, you can either pick a new one and get 1/day for each SLA, or you can repick the same one. Picking one Sphere twice gives you 3/day and picking it 3 times gives it to you at-will.

You don't get a whole lot of general feats. Ought to make them worth taking.

Toughness IS a bad feat though. An extra 20 HP isn't going to save anyone by 20th level, and it continues to be bad all the way down the chain until you actually just start at 1st level where those 3 extra points could actually save your life. Beyond rusty dagger shanktown though? Fuck that, it's an awful feat.

>How do I deal with shit like this?
Get a DM who doesn't run meatgrinders.

Lad... just give it up.
It's OK.

3 HP isn't worth shit IN rusty dagger shanktown because of the retarded damage variance.

5 Xill is almost a CR 11 encounter (12000 of 12800XP required to be one). That's APL+3 for you. It was supposed to be hard.

That being said, two things will help you: Having scrolls or potions that remove conditions on hand (Remove Disease, Delay/Remove Poison, Remove Paralysis, Remove Curse, Break Enchantment, etc), and using a combination of Knowledge checks and efficient scouting methods (familiars, Arcane Eye, etc.) to already be aware of what your enemy will try to use on you before they do so.

>Wand of Infernal Healing

I've got the Elemental Flux stance that gives me Fast Healing 1!

The Ironskin potion sounds good though, AC is currently at 38 with Touch 25, but I need to get it higher.

>How do I deal with shit like this? Freedom of Movement at all time?
There isn't really any practical way to deal with that. Especially not at your level.

>1d8+4 damage
>10 HP, 6/8th chance of not down
>7 HP, 3/8th chance of not down
>not worth a feat slot

Let's go down the list, shall we?
>bludgeoning damage is blocked by energy resistance
It's still blocked by DR and Hardness, which is arguably just as bad (although admittedly less common unless you're playing Iron Gods or something).
>shocking grasp bloodrager is a great blaster
A conductive greatsword later and the bloodrager deals more damage. It's not a better BLASTER per the normal definition, but it's better at the job a Kineticist tows around as being designed to do (AKA delete enemies).
>Toughness is a bad feat
Toughness isn't going to save you from the average damage of a longsword at 1st level, let alone anything that's actually a threat. Especially not against wolves, ogres, fireballs, and other common dangers of adventuring.
>If you don't win in 1.5 rounds by yourself you are dead
I'll give you this one, because trying to do anything by yourself is a fool's game when the math is assuming you're having 3 other people backing you up with their own abilities.
>fighters can kill more than 1 creature per round
A fighter can guarantee 1 kill a round, as can barbarians, paladins, and well-built cavaliers. A kineticist can't guarantee that, and in a game system where a foe is just as dangerous at 10% HP as he is at 100%, not being able to kill them quickly is a strike against you.

>Get a DM who doesn't run meatgrinders.
>APL+3
>Meat grinder
Get a DM period, guy. This is normal and intended gameplay. Xills aren't even mean for CR 6 monsters. It was also just one encounter. A meatgrinder DM would throw APL+3-5 at them 3-5 times a day.

This must have been a buildposter false flag.
It must have been.

>implying it is worth a feat slot when the chance of being downed is further reduced by AC, miss chance, and the ability to kill enemies first

>A conductive greatsword later and the bloodrager deals more damage. It's not a better BLASTER per the normal definition, but it's better at the job a Kineticist tows around as being designed to do (AKA delete enemies).
Conductive doesn't channel spells, but good try.

1. Nobody said that
2. I wrote those posts and never claimed it's a great blaster, I made those posts to point out how shit Kineticist is at blasting since a Bloodrager can outdo it
3. Toughness IS a bad feat. It's outdone by a 4000gp +CON belt. It's shit anywhere but 1st level; you retrain it once you're out of rusty dagger shanktown.
4. If you don't win against a monster of your CR by YOURSELF in 2 rounds, the average damage of a monster of your CR will probably kill you.
5. Yes. They do so by using a bow, or a reach weapon with a size increase. It works pretty well.

Speaking of this character, I've become deeply uncomfortable with how effective his current list of maneuvers are, can you guys tell me if this seems like a good line-up? He's got Elemental Flux and Piercing Thunder, along with all of the other maneuvers you'd expect from a ZweiSent.

>Noble Blade
>Impaling Strike
>Eldritch Energy Hammer
>Red Zephyr's Fleetness
>Steel Shell
>Meteor Spiral Strike
>Thunderous Comet
>Elemental Vortex Strike
>Elemental Destruction Ring
>Raging Flux
>Cornered Fury Strike

Each of us do have a few potion of remove paralysis on hand.

3/4 get paralyze and coup next turn mean we had no time to use it though.

>ethereal ambush
>25 attacks
>grab
>paralysis
>it's just cr 11 encounter guyz

Lets just let it be.
We can leave all of this in the last thread and move on with something else.
We don't need to focus on this any longer.

Just let it be.

TRUE STRIKE
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V
Cost 2 Int damage
Range personal
Target you
Duration see text

You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target.

When will there be more?
Make Pathfinder Great Again.

What?

Literally why?

>Elemental Flux and Piercing Thunder
EFlux is more the domain of the Mystic, and PT is pretty solidly mediocre. Still, you could do worse.

Hence the important of scouting, or at least a high Perception modifier on the guy who has the Knowledge skills. You must've been ambushed to lose this one.

It has to become corporeal to attack, and it takes 2 full round actions that make it immobile to do so.

It doesn't have Pounce. Only one attack has paralysis anyway.

Its Grapple CMB is shit. Seriously, +16?

It's an Evil Outsider. Plenty of things specifically made to annihilate them.

I don't get this meme.

>conductive
>spells
Dear god lad give it up.

He's making Pathfinder Great Again. Fuck your castershits.

But that's a spell.

>He
>Referring to yourself in the third person

>It has to become corporeal to attack, and it takes 2 full round actions that make it immobile to do so.
Give it another read. It is a move action to become corporeal. use the move action during the surprise round and full attack because you won initiative.
>It doesn't have Pounce. Only one attack has paralysis anyway.
Which it doesn't need because it materializes adjacent to you.
>Its Grapple CMB is shit. Seriously, +16?
Yea, that will grapple 1/2 of character builds easily and you have to resist against it 4 times.
>It's an Evil Outsider. Plenty of things specifically made to annihilate them.
If you ever get a turn where you don't start grappled, paralyzed, or dead.

That DM should be taken outside and shot.

Is Arrowsong Minstrel Bard any good? Are they trading out too much Bard stuff for damage??

What does that have to do with True Strike, especially since it's a spell?

Eh...
Yes.

Oh. That is much worse.

Are Xill even supposed to be in Kingmaker? I don't remember their involvement anywhere in the books.

Unrelated, but you reminided me of an experiment I did once. A party of Half-Orc Bards and Skalds, each with different archetypes that change out Inspire Courage for something besides a Morale bonus and focusing on singing, can be a competent party capable of downing most of the bestiary at an appropriate level.

I think that some members of this general, especially given what happened recently, may have legitimate brain problems

Just be nice and everything will be great.

It's in book 3. The Ghost Stone hex.

How absolutely awful.

Xill have all the problems of Ghouls. They're CR 6 Ghouls.

I'm upset now. Upset at Paizo firstly for having such a shitty creature, at Paizo secondly for putting five of them in an encounter in a goddamn module meant for people who play entirely within the norms of the game, and thirdly at that DM for playing it out that way.

And, seriously? Fuck that DM a second time, Xill don't CdG their victims, they're supposed to kidnap them, which makes that whole two round ethereal transfer thing come into play. Fuck, it would've been more reasonable had they done what they're supposed to instead of just murdering.

This is why Ghouls are worse, though. They DO just murder.

>They DO just murder.
And they are smart about it.

We're building a wall around you caster apologists so you can fuck off.

I kinda want to reroll my Sorcerer into Druid at this point... (and I was the only one who survive the encounter with Xill)

Changing into Elemental and avoid all these BS like poison,sleep,paralysis,critical hit etc etc.

What happened?

I posted this last thead, never got a response.

Are there any good Prestige Classes for a blaster Psion who wants to make things go boom.

When I homebrew monsters I have pretty strict limits on what gets to dish out what status condition. I don't put Paralyze on anything under CR 9.

But that's a spell. It's still a caster thing.

This is a bad meme.

Does your DM allow 3PP?

If so, just BE an Earth Elemental using DSP's earth elemental class. Sure, you're literally as dumb as rocks, but you're a beefy fucker with real hard punches that can run through the ground when shit gets bad.

I dunno, but I do know DSP doesn't come around anymore. Dunno why. I mean, I have an idea of why, but I don't know specifically what it was.

Na man you are fine. No build that should ever see play is equipped to survive that at that level. Your DM is just a cunt/noob.

Probably just didn't know that would happen though. It's an easy mistake to make if you aren't accustomed to it.

See:
It all started here:

No. Straight Psion is just better.

Yeah.. I'm pretty sure my DM didn't even read Xill's ecology.

It happens. Everyone is human. He probably learned a lot more from it than you did. Being a DM is a lot of hard work and if you mess up even a small part of it then topic related can happen.

He either didn't know what he was doing (likely, he's running an AP) or doesn't understand the game (likely, he's running an AP).

My advice? Avoid Paizo modules. They'll either be broken or boring, in my experience, as both player and DM. They're meant for Pathfinder Society, which is absolute shit for a number of reasons I won't get into right now.

Or he's a vindictive autist that can't solve OOC problems OOCly so he abused the encounter to kill the characters as some kind of punishment.

It seems like something is bothering you. We can talk about it if you want to.

I'd rather not sperg out more than I already have, these threads are spergy enough.

Nothing else is happening. We can use spoilers.

What's bothering me isn't really /traditionalgames/ though.

Ever do or see something in your game that made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, /pfg/?

>mfw I'm the only person in a party of 6 with a bonus to my Strength score

They be thinking them smarter than I, but me Will and Reflex saves think other.

Expect to be asked to open a lot of jars.

No.

Only nightmares now.

We don't? I've just been busy and/or doing long shifts at work.

No.

Not except that one time. We were stranded on a mountain during a blizzard.

The worst part was how cute her ears were. The poor, poor Kitsune. Fortitude was a weak save. The blizzard was stronger.

I haven't seen any of you in ages. Maybe I'm just on at tragically bad times.

My Dwarf adopted a human daughter and a half-orc son.

WRONG
TRIP
AGAIN

>Ever do or see something in your game that made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, /pfg/?

My character proposed to the woman he loves!

She said yes!

I don't get it, is this because I'm going to be the only muscular hunk in a party of gangly spigots and chesty slender-armed women?

> There is a GM who doesn't kidnap, torture or violate PC love interest

Cool fictional story brah.

I had a similar experience in a game - stranded in a blizzard - cept the group went Donner party and there were some hurt feelings

I think he mean, your character will be the target of Magic Jar.

Gareth! Get it together!

>Killing a perfectly good plot hook

This was my joke.

He never said that didn't happen afterward.

Yes. Jars are hard to open with noodle arms.

Of course, the Wizard could just cast Open/Close, but who prepares Open/Close?

Wait, people actually do this? Do you have any stories of DMs doing this to their players?

>Of course, the Wizard could just cast Open/Close, but who prepares Open/Close?

Who needs to prepare Open/Close when you've got a hot, virile Open/Close protecting your precious magical butt-cheeks right next to you every night at camp?

I felt warm and fuzzy when I finally got to have my Homunculus speak her first words.

That it was her screaming about the acid breath a dragon was spraying her with kind of put a damper on it though.

>He never said that didn't happen afterward.

It never did! She remained unmolested by the BBEG of the setting and remained a staunch ally of the party until the very end.

Was she also a powerful adventurer like yourself? If so, that makes more sense.

She was a duchess in Taldor!

Let's put it this way: There's a reason a lot of adventurers are orphans.

STOP WEARING THE WRONG FACE

Because DMs always try to kill their parents? I hear people saying this but I've never seen it happen or hear specific stories, it's always "oh they always do this" and leave it at that.

Can someone explain what is going in here?

If there's anything we can do to help, let it out!

This is why all my characters have adventurer parents, relatives, neighbors.

Adventurers are a lot like superheroes. Unlike superheroes, however, they usually don't want to (or simply can't) hide their identities. Having a family you care about is a vulnerability, and if you're off adventuring, it's hard to protect them - and in some cases, it wouldn't be possible to even if you were around. It's often simpler to simply have no family from an OOC perspective because it frees you to do whatever you like.

I have a memory disorder. It's nerve-wracking sometimes trying to keep everything straight.

But she was okay, right?

My PC got away with that by being from a tribe of fairly competent, dangerous barbarians

His waifu was the chief witch of the tribe, and when he returned, laden with forbidden treasures and secret techniques, the two of them ascended to leadership of the tribe and led it on a war against the great empires in support of his allies, showing up as reinforcements for their most thrilling and dangerous battles.

(I had had to leave the campaign due to RL shit, and that was how the DM wrote me out of the campaign - as a barbarian king who occasionally showed up to the greatest battles of the campaign to kick ass and take names. Fucking great DM)

>It's often simpler to simply have no family from an OOC perspective because it frees you to do whatever you like.

Yeah, if you're DM is terrible and likes to do terrible things to your toons because he's a twat.

I like gritty settings in dangerous worlds. I even purposely have family just for the free plot hook for the DM.

Moral dilemmas are fun to roleplay.

She did! But it spooked her good. Still have to wait until next session for the aftermath, which includes party reactions to all the broken common they're going to be hearing for the next few books.

>mfw want to make her use a longbow so she's safe from this shit
>mfw forgot that using a longbow required like, 6 feats

: (

I was that dm. A long time ago. I still feel bad about it.

Just give her a conductive rifle, Alchemist Bombs should work with it shouldn't it?

You can't be a hero without a little tragedy. Been that way since Homer put pen to paper, so to speak.

Actually I know how that feels...kinda. My memory is super awful, but I've never been diagnosed with anything. One of the biggest reasons I never join games is that I'm terrified I'll end up flaking on them, no matter how many notes I write to myself or put up or whatever.

That is the second time in the last two times someone has failed to read the Conductive weapon ability description.

And the archetype granting a Homunculus for that matter. What a terrible post. You should be ashamed of yourself, user.

As a DM, its super frustrating when all your players have "I'm an orphan" in their backstory

Apparently I DM well because I keep extensive notes. I'm too embarrassed to tell my players it's just so I'll remember everything.

I have an unhealthy number of notebooks, and I plan to get a tape recorder soon, too.

>Bombs

I don't think those work with conductive, but even if they did... I don't actually have those. I'd just have her spam summons, but we have an actual summoner. I also don't have augment summons because >feat taxes

When that happens I restrict the contacts they have to people they met as an adult. Wizards can't get into well to-do academies, Bards learn at a tavern rather than a college, so on and so forth. Parents are pretty important in a medievalesque setting; shit's expensive and kids don't earn much.

Shit, that's a really good idea.

I wish I could give you a good idea to help in response.