Gimme your unusual paladins, Veeky Forums

When you think of a paladin, you probably think of pic related. A man (or a woman) clad in plate armor, with a sword and a shield. Probably of noble birth, probably raised in a church or a holy order, definitely on a horseback.
Due to the plot of my campaign, the players will meet a lot of paladin NPCs on their journey, and I really don't want them to be the same. Can you give me ideas for some justice dispensers? It doesn't really matter what's different about them - their equipment, their background, their character, I want your paladins - unusual or plain exotic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d0yuaUCKFII
youtube.com/watch?v=KFfcDsPzbnU
middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/06/keeper-of-elder-sign.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, Archery Paladins are stupid good (for a Paladin build) in Pathfinder.

Paladin/Rogue. A self-trained street rat that came into the service of the church. They keep vigil over the slums of the city where justice supposedly does not see, smiting evil where it thinks it's safest.

How would it even work in DnD? An undead paladin?

Something like this :

there could be a "school" for paladins in your world, but the exception is, that they HAVE TO HAVE some kind of disability.
Autism, a missing limb, a horrible disease. You get the idea.
But through the power of their magic/faith/training ,they are able to compensate for that and make decent paladins.

With that you can create almost endless intresting backstories.

Half-golem, packing a Rod of Many Wands with Wands of Magic Missile inside it.

Isn't autism a mandatory trait for all adventurers?

Sir Robert O'Cop the man who lived and died and lived again in the name and cause of justice

Strange little ticks from the life I once knew like the way that I holster my gun
Why can I punch through a wall and not feel it but don't know that I had a son?
youtube.com/watch?v=d0yuaUCKFII

I can second this. I actually made an Archer Paladin and he was pretty good till high levels. Multiclassed into Rogue for sneaking and sneak attack against demons and other evil creatures. Always thought it was cool a white and gold leather armor clad sniper.

Another paladin I played was a Tiefling Paladin. Pretty effective with their darkness ability and using feats and stuff to fight while blind. Plus the Roleplay was pretty fun too.

Honestly, I hate playing the straight LG type Paladin/do-gooder unless they're over the top satires of JUSTICE AND HEROISM! This leads me to playing some odd Paladins when I drop into the class.
>Sea Paladin
Never actually got this character in a game, but had her fully built as a hybrid Paladin/Seeker. Worshiped a Sea God, and in combat used a throwable Trident and a lot of water-themed control spells.

>Paladin of Armok
DM is a huge Dorf Fortress fan, so Armok has his place among the DM's pantheon. Randomly rolled up which god I'd worship and landed on Armok and honestly he's been one of my favorite characters.

>Domains are Blood, Struggle, and Civilization, so he's generally pleased with our city building murder-hobo activities
>Any attempts to contact him for anything other than more holy Quests result in replies like "Walk it off, you ninny." "Try harder." or just a confirmation that my trials are amusing to him
>Leads to my character becoming a Khorne cult level masochist, BLOOD MUST FLOW
>Dedicate Artifact sword to him, he is pleased
>Use said Artifact sword, he is displeased as my struggles are now easier
>Sends me on harder quests

I think I'm the only Paladin to tell his God to fuck off and still retain his standing as Champion. It's my end goal to challenge him to a fight because I think it'd make him happy.

I've always had a fondness for the fey/nature knight archetype

>autistic paladins
/pol/: the game

War/self-forged

You could treat paladins as a sort of SWAT deal.

Guards suffice but when something big comes along they execute a no-knock raid on its dungeon, screaming "PALADIN! FREEZE SCUMBAG!" and packing crossbows, manacles, and tactical bombs.

They'd just need an alchemist department.

youtube.com/watch?v=KFfcDsPzbnU

Or an ex-pirate Paladin/Rogue that once sailed and terrorized the seas, but turned over a new leaf after an event, like being shipwrecked or something. Now he sails the seas and protects the trade lanes from those he once would have sailed with.

You know, ive known of this card for years, used to main board several in my deck, and i never once until this day realized that there is a werewolf impaled in the background. Awesome.

If it's 5e, then I've got something for you.

For any edition, you can go with more of a light/medium-armor wearing, dodgy, acrobatic paladin.

Or you could have a sorcerer-paladin who prefers to rely more on magic.

You could have a paladin-in-training who's still just sort of a spoiled teenager at heart. They're really trying their hardest to be a good paladin, but still wind up slacking off when their fellow paladins aren't around.

There's the old man who enjoys spending time with children, even though he never had any of his own. Or a younger paladin who cares about kids in a big brother/sister type of way.

The spouse of a paladin who was struck down, so they took up their beloved's mantle. They feel inadequate because they became a paladin for none of the selfless, heroic reasons their spouse did.

A paladin who loved stories about heroes as a child and seeks to die in the most glorious way they can manage.

I played an unusual paladin once. Now, granted, he was a goody-two-shoes two-handed sword heavy armor guy. But he was also a revenant (which, in this setting, is an undead created by someone's hatred for the person who murdered them).

He drowned.

Therefore, being a strongly religious fellow, he considered the god of the sea his murderer and began his quest to kill that god, helping out whomever he could and making bone puns along the way.

This would be interesting to use. I really like the idea of the paladin with Oath of Service settling down in different towns as he follows a roving band and as he does he gains folk along the way that wish to pledge allegiance to his god and cause. He'd eventually show up to the band's door with a small force of his own.

CG wood elf Rillifane Rallathil paladin.
Pretty vanilla for the thread, she mostly just likes using a longbow since that was a thing from where she grew up.

> No archer paladin in 5e
Goddamit, Wizards.

My Paladin was a multiclass of a couple levels of Warlock and this homebrew: middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/06/keeper-of-elder-sign.html

He was someone who was pretty much born into an Aboleth servant cult, but was later on inspired by a paladin's sacrifice. The main thing that hooked him at first was curiosity of "good", something as forbidden to him as the knowledge of the Olds Ones was to most people. He also started to realize how the Aboleth's goal of "living forever" was a goal they would technically never achieve, infinite time means infinite opportunities to fail after all. Of course he was punished dearly, but he managed to keep his psychic presence inside his armor (statted as 5e unearthed arcana warforged so it wasn't broken OP).

From then on he sought a party like one that inspired him long ago. On one hand, his party was full of morons. On the other hand, he did find romance with a monk and managed to survive contact with the Eldest (although none of us should have, but DM let one of his buddy players have God Avatar powers but that's a That DM/Guy story for another topic).

The term in the setting I created for my campaign was more like a Final Fantasy Paladin. It's just a job, not a title, but it's still irrevocable and granted the holder powers. They were the people who accompanied certain clerics in the field, they rarely, if ever, struck out alone. It wasn't even a player class.

I could've sworn I've seen an official ranged paladin variant.

He was shaken out of his quiet life by a meddling goddess of fate. She pushed him to adventure and help people, and continues to give him advice and push him to do as much good as he can, even if he is more than a little unsure of it all.

I played a paladin of the deeps once. This is a little setting-specific, but in that game hell was literally physically at the bottom of the ocean and wardens of the deeps (who were paladins) were an order devoted to keeping what came from hell down there.

I wore the heaviest fucking armor imaginable and used a sharpened anchor-axe (on a chain) as my weapon. Paladin powers let me grow gills, scent blood like a shark, vomit and control large amounts of water, and increase the density of my body - effectively, increase my physical fortitude sufficiently so that I'd be okay if I were to be at the deepest part of the ocean. I could also deal with blood loss by turning water into blood and giving myself a transfusion.

Character from the game i play at the moment.
Setting is a pseudo-viking slavic low fantasy, GM is an archeologist, go figure.
This character is more about answering the question, how can a man can turn into a force for good and justice without being influenced by an outside force, be it gods or religious orders. The idea from the onset has been for me to try and portray a guy who experiences the horror of war and copes with it by going "Fuck. Fuck this world, fuck this way of doing things, fuck the rulers that make us do them and fuck me if im not gonna do everything in my power to change this." instead of blowing his brains out.
Since the culture we hail from is raiding/trading based we've been on a few raids so far. Nothing really jarring. People try to kill us, so we kill them first (And take their stuff). Lately im really pleased with character development. Ever since my character got a wife and kids, killing the children and women in a settlement has created some very heavy scenes. (Cant bring them back as slaves cuz boat got limited storage space, only the big man leading the raid or people he favor gets to take slaves."

It hasn't really developed into full blown PTSD driven anger at the system yet, but it's getting there.

Trying to empathize the way my character has stopped dehumanizing enemies by now. GM caught on, lots of descriptions of personal affects when we loot, descriptions of how the villagers die to protect (or attempt to) their friends and family. Generally drawing lots of parallels to life back in our own village. (Campaign is very defined by the stark contrast between the life or death combat when on a raid and the much less dangerous but no less exciting social RP at home.)

Oh man, i could rant about this for hours. Really into this game, shame our GM is about to be a dad and leave us hanging for a few months while he gets used to his spawn.

I might've phrased that along the lines of "my GM is about to have a baby, which the other players and I obviously recognize is more important than our game," but okay.

Joking mate, i love him, his missues and their soon-to-be-addition to their family.
What kind of autist would i have to be to think being GM is more important than being a father?

This is Veeky Forums, user.

Tell him a stranger on an anonymous Korean Great Leader-praising image board says congrats.

Try making the opposite of a strong defender of justice. A weak, sickly man who makes up for it with his intelligence, and charm who just wants to help people regardless of their station.

Hey, does anybody have that story of the fallen paladin that fights a god of light? He says something along the lines of, "We shine again, my armor and me," while soaked in elemental blood.

having recently been studying the histories of england, I noticed that, by Caesar's description of the druids, they were both clerics and judges...

So perhaps they were actually more like paladins than just hippies?'

otherwise, my favorite is a swashbuckling paladin who speaks with a spanish accent, uses finesse weapons, and serves a love god(dess) while acting like Antonio Bendarez.

My paladin is a lawyer. He dresses in fine clothes and when he smites he does it within careful bounds of the law using a colt Peacemaker.

It existed in the playtest before they added tutorial levels and changed how smiting worked