Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread - /fvgt/

Welcome to the Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread. Here we aim to be the FLGS of Veeky Forums, finding free resources to make it easy for Veeky Forums users to jump right into traditionalgaming, and forming a small community around that. We also try to get various amounts of shit done, whether it's writing, homebrew, art, or whatever else deemed worthy of Veeky Forums. Have a project? Come and pitch it to us. Don't have one? Come and shoot the shit with us anyway.

1. Check the PDF for the game
2. Post a request for a game, using the suggested resource, either here or in the Game Finder Thread
3. If there's a particular game you're looking for that we don't have a resource as of yet, let us know and we can work to expand our list.
4. Finally, hang around and chat. There's always some crazy project someone is Working on.

>Current Projects
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RPG
-Night Shift RPG
-Setting up a dedicated Xmage Server for the enjoyment of Veeky Forums
-Dark Souls RPG
-Veeky Forums MUD Guild
-BattleBox3D resources.
-Various amounts of Art and Writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

0-hr.com/Future_Armada/Tokens.htm
battlebox3d.com/manual
youtube.com/channel/UCd_3Db4YFwJxoKDHXsDny2w
yeggi.com/q/warhammer 40k/?s=t0
123dapp.com/
makexyz.com/3d-models-Space-marine
tf3dm.com/3d-model/warhammer-40k-space-marine-tatical-squad-98719.html
cryptorpg.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't really get it, what's virtual about it?

1. All of our resources in the PDF are free/cheap software that let you play traditional games online.

2. An online thread isn't exactly local.

Oh, okay I guess.

So... I've been thinking of designing a new format for MTG. The idea was something like EDH, except instead of a Legendary Creature, it's a Legendary Artifact or Enchantment, and something like 1/3 of your deck has to be composed of Instants, Enchantments, Sorceries, Or Artifacts. Sort of a Tinker Caster format.

Not sure if it would work or be interesting though. It would heavily favor Blue and Artifact decks.

The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon RPG is just about finished up in its first draft. I'll have something resembling a system document by tomorrow. The system actually works quite nicely, even for moves that cause temporary stat-boosts or status effects, and it doesn't feel too complex(though my wording is always something on the overly detailed side, and my organization is pretty shit)

Any idea where I could get some roll20 tokens for a Starcraft themed game?

I've found a few that are Star War, but that's the closest I've come.

Who here wants to play a wargame online?
Doesn't have to be BB3D, vassal is alright

I found these online:
0-hr.com/Future_Armada/Tokens.htm

Bump.

What kind of tokens are you looking for? I feel like there should be a Drawthread dedicated to this. I mean, give me a few minutes in Inkscape and I can turn any drawn image into a vector icon.

Bump.

I missed the end of the last thread, did anyone end up hosting a Neverwinter Nights server?

I believe the consensus was that it would be cool, but I'm already busy working with the Xmage Server. However, there seems to be both a MUD and NWN thread, so you might check there.

Cheers bud.

Pls respond

Hi I am one of the developers of BattleBox3D. I noticed there has been some chatter about BB3D around here. If you have questions ask away!

What file formats does bb3d use for the figures/minis?
why isn't there a manual?

At the moment BB3D takes a file format called Collada (.dae). The best place to convert them to that format is from blender and the worst is from anything from autodesk due to their poor exporter.

The upcoming version of BB3D will accept .dae, .obj, & .fbx formats with more to be added as needed.

There actually is a fairly robust manual that include video that comes with the install of BattleBox3D. It is located in /BB3D/readme/readmeB5_1.html

I'd like to point out something about BB3D if I may. I was designed from the ground up for tabletop wargaming. 40k being what we wanted to play most, and boy have we played a TON of it. I have personally played games with MASSIVE armies. Apocalypse to the point of silliness. I have a virtual wargaming table that in real world terms is 20 feet by 20 feet. It is glorious.

You can also play any other game (like checkers) and that is nice too.

>/BB3D/readme/readmeB5_1.html
Ah nice
And online version will be good

What is the current development status? Is bb3d open or closed source?

Good idea. I just put the manual up at this address battlebox3d.com/manual

After we released the current beta version we went through a period of extensive user testing. We are now actively developing new features and reaching create content in preparation for the first full version.

It is a closed source project.

Just as a heads up the manual has a few busted links. I am working on it. :)

Okay, hopefully this own't take long

Nice

Wow. I was hoping to contact you after we'd popularized it. This is great! Glad to see you're still in development. Feel free to update us on here with your changelog

There is one feature I would like to see though: A simple side menu that allows you to conveniently view PDF, Images or text files loaded into a 'Sheets' folder, and shared across direct connect the same way models are. It would be nice to view unit/character stats in-game.

Not sure if you already have something like this or not, but I haven't been able to find anything in that regard.

Anyone remembers that page that had some model that were compatible with bb3d?

No, but I would love to hear about it.

Will keep you posted. :)

There is a way to view images inside of BB3D that has worked in the past. See the official channel for details.
youtube.com/channel/UCd_3Db4YFwJxoKDHXsDny2w

That being said, this very day we were discussing adding a feature along those lines.

Artist of OP pic here.
I too might be able to help out with tokens from time to time.

That would be awesome of you. The problem is getting it set up. I mean, theoretically there's less detail involved in a top-down view of something, but in practice visualizing it is more difficult. Getting Drawfags involved might be difficult.

I could act as Tokenmaker, taking drawings and converting them to particular formats for various programs, tracing them and converting them to Vector art.

yeggi.com/q/warhammer 40k/?s=t0

This is what I found. Converting them is pretty easy if you're using something like Blender or MeshMixer. I've found that MeshMixer is more user friendly for those unfamiliar to CGI, so for quick edits and file conversion that works.

123dapp.com/

makexyz.com/3d-models-Space-marine

tf3dm.com/3d-model/warhammer-40k-space-marine-tatical-squad-98719.html

These also work.

What about helping to expand modern rules for 5th edition d20. So we can have a better version than the one from 3.x

Ok, so if we want to popularize BB3D on Veeky Forums, we're gonna need a game we can use as our forerunner. Frostgrave was suggested, so for now we'll go with that.

Here's what we'll do:

1. Anyone interested in playing Frostgrave, get the rules and assemble a roster for themselves.

2. Give me the list of models you need. I'll find and convert them to BB3D for everyone. I can add weapons and pose models, but that's about it.

3. We find someone to paint/everyone paints their 3d models. I've got shit for artistic

4. We play.

Tried it. Doesn't work. 5e is too deeply entrenched in fantasy to break from it, especially concerning areas of Tech. Better off using Savage Worlds, Cypher System, or some other RPG.

Disheartening to say the least. Oh well, c'est la vie.

So a plug for an interesting game I have been looking at: Cryptomancer cryptorpg.com/

(Psst, you can reply to specific messages by clicking on the long strand of numbers in their post)

thanks! Veeky Forums is new to me.

No problem. Stick around. Veeky Forums is pretty good once you get past the foot thick layer of salt. Don't use the name field outside of this thread(namefagging is frowned upon) also don't self-promote BB3D outside this thread. It's called being a Shill and we hate it.(especially don't mention it in 40k threads. Veeky Forums is mainly in it for the hobby and lore, so "No Minis" is a no-go.)

Not to mention that Veeky Forums is something of a gauntlet for quality control. If you can manage to please the vast majority of people on this board, you've probably got a pretty good product on your hands.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a low profile. Would you suggest I stop with the name thing in this thread???

I guess 'challenge accepted' then.

The Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread is fine. It'll help identify you. Anywhere else is a no.

Also check out /3/ while you're at it.

Ok, one more dumb question: What in /3/ did you intend for me to see/do?

Well, mainly lurk. It's our CGI board, and having a dev of a Veeky Forums-related project is nice, so it's kind of in our best personal interest to have you as a regular on any board here.

If was you I'll buy a second hand kinect and use it as a 3d scanner to scan real minis. A kinect is probably the cheapest 3d scanner that you can get.

Looks good, just needs to be organized

>Ok, so if we want to popularize BB3D on Veeky Forums, we're gonna need a game we can use as our forerunner. Frostgrave was suggested, so for now we'll go with that.
I want to suggest PDF related because more than two can play

My only problem with Infinity is that it uses official Minis, which means we'd have to find enough models, which might be possible through the Bay and other fringe resources, but will likely get any archive of models deleted like so many of our PDF Share resources do. I'm all for multiple players though, and it would likely help in increasing the mass appeal.

How are we gonna do this though? I like the idea of making a big deal out of the whole thing and grabbing 3-5 different players, making a big deal about this on a thread, forming up armies, and then streaming this over twitch or something.

We come out with this big announcement that we've got the ear of a developer, that we'll do most of the work for players, and then we have users form a vested interest in each of the players groups. Set up something like a faction system and get people competitive over it. Veeky Forums loves multiple teams to root for. It's one of the main reasons 40k is so popular.

He's talking about 2D tokens for Roll20 and such.

And that's what we're thinking for Battlebox. Getting something big for Veeky Forums to talk about, and make an excuse to gather resources.

Hey, BB3D dev, how far off are we from a server hosting? Direct Connect is pretty great, but it does put a load on the host. Also a Spectator mode?

>My only problem with Infinity is that it uses official Minis, which means we'd have to find enough models,
bleh, they don't need to be official, do they? Can we even play it with bottle lids?

>forming up armies, and then streaming this over twitch or something.
>We come out with this big announcement that we've got the ear of a developer, that we'll do most of the work for players, and then we have users form a vested interest in each of the players groups. Set up something like a faction system and get people competitive over it. Veeky Forums loves multiple teams to root for. It's one of the main reasons 40k is so popular.
Get off your cloud, is just a game,
start small and keep it small

Veeky Forums loves competition when they're invested in it. If we could find some way to build hype, it would probably be a pretty big hit. The trick is finding something broad enough for everyone to have an appeal to, but unique enough to feel novel.

The strain on the host of a direct connect has been minimal when we have tested it. It is not a huge amount of data being passed around aside from model data.

Full online is a little ways out, it is usually the last thing we rebuild before a release. I'll try to get a better estimate or see about jury rigging something.

Do whatever you want I just want to play a game.

Alright, so after about 5 minutes research here's what I've found:

1. Frostgrave: 1v1 only, but it's pretty popular and supports generic models.

2. Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes. Generic Fantasy Warband game. Let's you stat any model, which is awesome, and supports 2-8 players, though general reviews say that 3-4 is about the limit for a solid game. Can theoretically use any fantasy setting, so it's absolutely possible we could create a unique setting that we could gain some traction from, but we'd have to make it pretty good.

3. Skirmish Wars. Remember Advance Wars for GBA/DS? This is that in tabletop form.

4. Infinity: Tag Deathmatch. Only problem I can see is lack of official models, which WILL bug people.

Any other suggestions? I'm all for ASoBH, and working in an interesting setting, doing all the above crap with factions.

I'm adding Android: Netrunner to the PDF because online play is possible, and we have a dedicated General for it. Can't hurt to have it, and direct people towards /anrg/.

My only complaint about ASoBH is that they haven't released the Steam and Cog supplement, which I desperately want. Right now we've got Standard Wizardry, Martial Arts and Fungus Men rules, Dwarven RuneMagicks, and we're about to see some Demon Cult magic hit the shelves.

That being said, we could probably do some really interesting things with a Rune-magic/Caster setting. Or we could say there's four factions: Martial Monks, Rune-dwarves, Casters, and Demon Cultists.

I'm good at converting, but I'm largely unfamiliar with what would be needed.
As in, what one would need in token form and the best format for tokens.

I have not played online at all, really.
My erratic schedule would make me a total flake.
Death first.

Mostly infantry type stuff I think.

Space marine, ghost, zerg and protoss units type of deal. Ships I figure we can crib from anything, but all the units stuff is front on or just the gameplay angle which I feel would be weird.

Dunno if this fits or not, but it's a friendly thread so nevermind.

Anyone have any opinions on Paranoia XP? I know 5th edition was unpopular.
Should I run that for my mates, or try and dig up 2e?
What are the major differences?

>Skirmish Wars. Remember Advance Wars for GBA/DS? This is that in tabletop form.

Looks like it's of the modular 2D Tileset variety, but it's grid based. That being said... this would play reallt well using Cyberboard, and I mean REALLY well. Cyberboard is basically a Play-by-post Wargaming software, designed to let you play games like this in a chess-by-mail format. If someone grabbed me the system doc, which is Print-n-Play, I could easily convert all the tiles and pieces to images for it.

I mean, theoretically you could play this in a thread the same way we play Risk.

Whoops, forgot pic.

Alright, so speaking entirely theoretically about this, what if we did design a setting for this. I do mean we as in this thread, because a small group of people will likely make a higher quality product than the entire board would, at least in the initial stages of development.

First we'd need to come up with a reason as to why there are different factions, and for what reason everyone is fighting. Conflict is most important in a wargame. I don't necessarily like the idea that we divide it up into Magic-types, as that inevitably creates imbalance, though I am unfamiliar with the system itself and how it balances magic. I'd rather do it by philosophy or creed and then design it around that, giving certain point limits on what different factions can buy into.

Another issue is that BB3D's measuring tool is in Inches, while ASOBH is in Milimeters. Maybe we could have the dev add that in as a quick option?

Strictly speaking BB3D uses generic units of measurement. Basically the metric system. Uints can be inches centimeter or millimeters, it really is more a matter of perception. People just assume it is inches, and in most cases I don't bother to correct them.

Still sounds fun but what can it offer that the vidya doesn't?

Multiplayer for up to five players if you add the Blitz expansion pack. It also becomes Veeky Forums-related.

Alright, that works then, since ASOBH only uses three units: 5, 8, and 12 Centimeters, or slightly larger units for a bigger map.

So anyone have any objections to this? It seems well off enough.

I'm good with that, but before we get into setting stuff, we should actually play the game to see if it's actually any good. I can grab models for someone if they want to try and have a match.

Would Ascii games like Stone Soup be considered Veeky Forums-related? I mean, dwarf fortress obviously, but that's probably because of the insane worldbuilding, story, and FUN in it.

I think /vr/ has the occasional roguelike thread for such games. Still, they are pretty Keen.

I believe the general consensus between Veeky Forums and video games is "Does it have a good story/setting I can use? Or is it so overly retro that only the greyest of greybeards will remember it?" We're not necessarily anti-vidya, we just don't want this board to turn into another Vidya story/setting discussion Generals board.

What's the gameplay like?

I know I'm two days late, but I'm interested by this. It would heavily favor certain archetypes though, so maybe you should move away from magic and make your own game to play how you want instead?

Never seen much ASoBH around here.

I feel people is trying to force this, All of us don't have to play the same game or play in an organized manner

It's not necessarily organized, just something to give a reason to fill up a Mega link with Models. In order to make this work we need to have sort of market on Veeky Forums that pays enough attention on here to keep it a regular thing, after that we're free to expand into every other wargame imaginable.

Well, it'd bsically be "Commander, but with Enchantments or Artifacts." I just didn't want to keep it the exact same, otherwise people would just use Artifact Creatures or Gods.

That is understandable but I think that no matter the game we will have to live with generic minis for a while.

Which is why we were working between Frostgrave or ASOBH, which has support for that and is thus less aesthetically offensive.

For all I care I could use bottle lids, may later I can match up with some one that doesn't care either.

Alright, so what if we start at the opposite end. I gather a bunch of generic models, put them in a mega, and then start fulfilling requests, and we see what happens from there.

That'll be nice

I am down for this too.

Alright, we should work on the setting as an aside, for now the main thing is grabbing miniatures and getting the resources people need to play.

Bump

Snek girl a cute! A Cute!

Anyone else notice we have a fair number of Dubs in these threads?

Actually, I say we get started on the setting because that's something we can do here. Models are more of an off-board project.

Alright. I'm game then. I'll come up with a shorthand list for actually creating the setting, and we'll get it done tomorrow. Meanwhile, everyone check Da Archive for the ASoBH pdf, and familiarize yourself with the basic systems. Basic Magic can and will backfire on you, then there's the Martial Arts, Rune Magic, and other stuff in the supplements. We've got to work with at least some semblance to these mechanics in the setting.

Bumping the thread

>Meanwhile, everyone check Da Archive for the ASoBH pdf, and familiarize yourself with the basic systems.
I did not do my homework, but maybe I can catch up after getting some sleep.

O shit son seems like a good thread, i'mma read up on that MUD stuff

Link me to ASoBH

Check The Archive in the PDF Share thread. It's the OP.

Alright, Here's the Gist of what ASoBH is about:

Success-based d6 based system where you're able to stat nearly any mini you could imagine, provided you have the right supplement:

>Core Rulebook
-Basic Traits for most generic Fantasy Races. making specific units have powerful abilities for spellcasting turns them into a unit called a Personality, which is basically a Named Character, like a general, a captain, or the underdog.

-Magic works, unless it doesn't. Roll for successes and the spell activates, but if you roll too many failures, the spell backfires. Failures are unique to the spell, and usually have effects that incur the opposite of what you want(Trying to create difficult terrain on the enemy makes difficult terrain centered on the caster) or more often disallows the caster form casting spells for the rest of the game.

>Hammer & Forge
MOTHERFUCKING DWARVES: The Supplement

-Dwarves

-Runic Magic and Blessings

-Guns and Artillery traits.

-Dwarves

-Magic Items and Drinks

>Fightin' Fungi
-Weapon-based and Martial Artist traits

-Mushroom men

>Axe And Brimstone
-Demon Summoning and Dark Rituals

-Evil Weapons traits

-Halflings

So, there's actually a lot to work with in order to design our own setting in terms of differentiating abilities and group persona.(Cont.)

There's also a Steam and Cog supplement that has yet to be released.

When designing this setting, probably the most important thing we need to establish is why there is constant Conflict, and why each group opposes all of the others. Since it's a Skirmish level game we could establish it as something like competing guilds or companies working to recover the same objective, but I feel that may have been done already.

What say you folks?

Checked.

Here's an idea I had a While back for a setting:

The Tower extends far into the heavens and deep into the earth. The spaces inside do not match the borders of the structure itself, and greatly vary in environment, some being Humid Jungles, others resembling endless labyrinths, and still others being that of Brimstone and Lava flows. Most are filled with nothing but Monstrosities and Death.

The legends say Great Knowledge lies at the peak, and Great Power lies at the base, though the validity of this is questionable. However, a great number of magical artifacts have been recovered from both Upper an Lower levels, causing a large number of Expeditions throughout the tower, with many Factions competing for control of various levels.

So... basically an endless tower that works as a huge excuse to loot, fight, and use whatever Map or Battle environment you want, and enough of a story to run a Campaign in.

lets not mind about a setting and just play the game

That's the plan, it's just a little more fun if we toss in something extra

I like it. seems suitable enough as a starting point.

bump.

Anyone here wants to play warmachine?

How?

either vassal or bb3d

Vassal is possible, it has the module, but Warmachine would take some work, getting models