Malifaux General

Why is there no General Edition?

>Books
Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - Entirely new models

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Link to the Previous:

Ill ask here.

Are the story boxes worth getting?

Outside of the models mind you. Also, why in the hell did they not make Luther an alt teddy. They both do practically the same thing fluff wise (swallow people whole)

Is there any way to regain soul stones in game?

I know that some people take Silurids for Zoraida, I don't know if the encounter is any good though, also Ashes and Dust if you're an Outcast player is also really good

Luther is a scenario specific encounter so I guess they wanted to make it more unique

Transmortis has a solo scenario but I've never played it. We don't do many story encounters locally.

Speaking of Story Encounters, I'm running a Christmas themed event next week with all story encounters. Any suggestions on a nice themed "ringer" crew if we have an odd number?

Misaki can steal them, so can Parker. Recharge Soulstone is an Arcanist upgrade that gives you rocks from things dying. There's probably more but they're not terribly common.

what are you looking for out of a "ringer theme?" The easiest way of setting a theme is to model them in accordance with said themes with a matching paint scheme. During Halloween for instance I got a 'Dora box and painted the 'giest and Sorrows a white blue to be be ghosts for an encounter

Is there a place to get customeeple tokens in the US?

You better watch out
You better not cry
Your luck's run out I'm telling you why
Jacky Daw is coming to town

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows all you have done
He's coming here to get you
You can't fight and you can't run

Oh, it won't help you to scream
It won't help you to move
You're better of dead
There's nothing you can do

Jacky Daw is coming to town

I'm also interested in the story encounters - Creative Taxidermy looks pretty cool, and the Red Jokers podcast did a review of it where it sounded potentially hilarious, if a little janky in places.

As fro why Luther's not a Teddy - I assume for Leap, since he's a hare?

Where do Zoraida or Silurids come into it?

Theme - Hodgepodge Emissary as Santa, with metric shit-tons of Bayou Elves and Wild/Stuffed/War Reindeer.
Go for maximum randomness in unit choice, and model some clearly crap roped-on antlers for all your pigs, roosters and boar.

Have little bulbs on the ropes around Daw and the hanged for extra fun

Speaking of my story event, I'm doing some homebrew scenarios.

I haven't decided on them but I have a couple ideas.

There's the Grinch theme:
-corner deployment, 4 houses in the middle of each quadrant, interact with a house to bury and unbury next turn carrying a present, bring them to the center
-sing in the middle of town to lure the Grinch in then jump him to get the presents
-free for all enforcer brawl with random items taken from the Grinch's bag

Christmas song theme:
-Give Frosty the magic hat to take control of him, opponent can interact with Frosty to remove the hat
-Rudolph game with minimal visibility until you find the titular reindeer then he lights up the area
-Catch Santa's sleigh and grab presents to beat your opponent

There's also a random office party with a secret santa and shindig rules where controlling the most presents wins.

Make Storm look like Krampus and pair him with Luther to be the Easter Bunny

I guess I have to get Tara now and start outcasts since I got Miss Terious from my zipp box. What things will I need to play her?

Drop name

Killjoy, some summons for karina, bishop, johan, sue, and hannah

Pretty much this If you go Resser: Izamu, bete, Belles/Nurses, Forgotten Marshal

Asked something similar in the not!malifaux general thread

What mtg colour(s) would parker be?

First time actually assembling my own minis. I'm doing the Sky Pirates.
And Holy shit the Mosquitos are a pain in the ass to assemble. Im betting they will also be the worst to paint, or maybe Zipp cause idk what or how to paint the smoke.

Red. He's doing it for the thrill of the experience

I mean mechnically more than anything. His playstyle doesn't seem straight red to me

Iron Skeeters are nothing compared to Somer's skeeters, each leg was seperate

That goes into the same slot no less

Anybody have the Gremlin expansion pdf for TTB?

I had no idea sommers has Skeeters, This is my first grem faction, my dad used to put my other figures back when they were metal together for me and paint them, but now im on my own and paranoid about messing up.

And suggestion for the Smoke from jetpack paint wise? I am tempted to just throw white paint and then a brown was on it.

Where can I obtain an original Jack Daw model? I don't like the pose of the plastic one but nothing seems to have the metal one available.

Man, I just realized, there's a lot of girl masters in this game

Base it gray,shade the recesses near the pack with warm colors to simulate rocket exhaust. and highlight the other part of the smoke with darker cooler colors to create thick looking smoke.

bump

Did anyone order during this black friday sale? I'm sort of regretting not going at it a second time for extra alt models to trade/sell.
Can't wait to see Archie in action.

Question, what do you guys like least about Malifaux?
Are there any statuses that are a pain to book-keep, terrain thats difficult to evaluate, game state thats hard to communicate clearly?

>Question, what do you guys like least about Malifaux?

The elevation rules aren't so hot, and it's not a gameplay thing but I dislike that some core models are only available in crew boxes.

>elevation rules aren't so hot
like incorporeal taking damage when descending, wtf

The insistence on pretending it'sa 2D game - mostly relating to elevation rules, but also the odd way LoS works with cover.

Inconsistent wording across rules - the seven different flavours of Leap and Squeel are annoying, but the identical rules worded differently is more unecessary.

The slow sprawling of the model line - I think we hit bloat level around this book.

And also >I dislike that some core models are only available in crew boxes.
Though I understand that that's an excellent business decision.

>Though I understand that that's an excellent business decision.

Oh for sue! They got me for a Von Schill box just for the Trapper and Librarian, and I'm still salty about paying $35 for two models. I can't even imagine how frustrating it is to play Gremlins and have like three crew boxes that you ought to buy just for one henchman.

And their proxy policy doesn't help much, either.

>also the odd way LoS works with cove
It is a bit different from past wargames, but I actually prefer it. What don't you like about it?
Agree about wording, they should really be on top of that before any printing occurs instead of trying to blame their players through raw vs rai bullshit.

>the odd way LoS works with cove
>What don't you like about it?

I agree that it works a lot better than many games - true LoS is dumb for static models, especially when it encourages tournament pricks to pose models as small as reasonable.

I actually meant that with .elevation. and LoS and cover - I don't think a Ht2 model within 1" of Ht1 Blocking cover should get cover from a shooter on Ht4 elevation, it just doesn't feel right.

There are also a few bits that feel too 'gamey' - can see an infinite depth .into. woods for single -ve, but can't see .through. a 2" wide stand of trees.

>And their proxy policy doesn't help much, either.
How do you mean?
The proxy policy is that it's made of Wyrd bits and is clearly identifiable as what it's meant to be - depending on the organiser and your opponent, that can be pretty damn flexible, and it's a lot less trestrictive than many companies.

Elevation rules are pretty bad as stated above.

The proxy policy is proxies aren't allowed, but conversions are okay.

That's a little better than no proxies at all, but if your TO is strict about it you're still going to need the official model one way or another.

Here's the Christmas crew

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Jack Daw + 4 Pool
- The Bigger They Are (1)
- Scout The Field (1)
- Drowning Injustice (0)
- Firing Squad Injustice (0)
Wrath (8)
- Oath Keeper (1)
Envy (8)
Lust (8)
Greed (8)
Sloth (8)
Nurse (5)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Looks like the TTB Trove has added Into the Bayou!

Hey, I was thinking about starting playing, how do I decide which master to play?

Pick the one you like the look/story of, try them out, see what works, go from there.

Is there a master that you like the most?
Is there a faction from which you like more masters (or other models) than from any other?

It's good to start with one master but keep in mind that at some point you'll probably want to try something new and it's good to stick to one faction, at least money-wise.

Read their cards after reading the rules and maybe a few battle report videos if you have never played any minis game extensively. I'd caution against picking solely based on looks unless you think you aren't going to be playing regularly/semi-competitively.

>I don't think a Ht2 model within 1" of Ht1 Blocking cover should get cover from a shooter on Ht4 elevatio
What Ht and at what distance is the model on Ht4 terrain?

Shit, I don't know - a Trapper on the roof of a saloon firing at a Guild Guard across the street behind a barrel.

A Ht2 model on Ht6 elevation 10" away from a Ht2 target 'in cover' behind a Ht1 object.

No, you can't draw a line base to base (vantage point allowing), but it still doesn't sit right with me that the Guard gets cover in such a scenario.

I do recognise that one wants something a bit more hard and fast that "if you can see about more than half of the model" though, especially if they're setting out with the intention of building tournament-worthy rules.

Either way, I think they're applying the cover you don't agree with similarly to regular partial wall cover you do agree with.
The LoS rules of drawing 2 imaginary lines to the edges of the target's base probably places one of them in contact with that tiny wall. Since using the base for LoS is supposed to represent the nonstatic/bob'n'weave nature of models, what is wrong with characters mechanically gaining the potential option to quickly duck under the wall for improved defense as long as one line intersects?

If partial coverage with walls is supposed to illustrate movement and potential usage of cover

>it still doesn't sit right with me that the Guard gets cover in such a scenario
Does it change anything that bases representing nonstatic models isn't something usually in minis games?
With that mechanic and flavor ingrained in the foundation, recommendations dependent on static, physical models become nonsensical and actually slant toward a more bogged down system attempting to imitate realism through pedantry of something as simple as LoS (like Infinity). I actually think the way Malifaux solves this issue is more realistic and infinitely better for maintaining the flow of play.

I acknowledge that it's probably one of the best systems available, in terms of balancing speed and simplicity against realism, but there are corner cases that just strike me as silly.

It ties into the above discussion around elevation in a game that's trying to play like it is top-down/2D in some rules and 3D in others.

>Does it change anything that bases representing nonstatic models isn't something usually in minis games?
Not really sure what this sentence means.

Yea, that was a garbage sentence.
You said it didn't sit right with you that a model could benefit from such a small intersection in LoS
I'm trying to say, since the physical model doesn't actually matter in game and models dynamically occupy their base area, does it still not sit right with you if we consider a model's potential to position themselves anywhere in that base area and defensively benefit from that movement and environment?

The 2D/3D actually seems to solve many issues. What does solving for the hypotenuse or needing lasers/strings for inter-elevation LoS add to the game? I agree it only applies things when its necessary, but is there really any glaring inconsistency that impairs learning or playing the game? Most I've encountered are actually because of the assumptions many other games have built which aren't used (and aren't useful) in Malifaux.

Any Jack Daw players willing to give me some advice? After Christmas I'll have all the Tormented models except Papa Loco, and I'm looking to use him more often. What model combinations are good for these?
1. scheme running
2. Fucking with the opponent/debuffing
3. Pure murder

if you go to the forums and search for a thread titled "Jack Daw...Teach Me ALL", you'll get some decent starting information.

I'm probably fixating on the issue because this discussions been ticking over for a couple of days now.
It's never actually been all that much of an issue in-game, to my memory.

Yet to see a satisfactory answer to elevation, Ht and Melee reach though.

I got a Trapper on a Ht4 balcony chopped up by a ground-level Jorogumo last weekend.

I'm not particularly unhappy that it happened - it was the most sensible interpretation we could come to.

It's just annoying that it wasn't very clear how Reach works in that situation - all measurements are usually made from the base, but then the giant spider-centaur-man would barely be able to scratch his own forehead with his eight-foot polearm.

>It's just annoying that it wasn't very clear how Reach works in that situation - all measurements are usually made from the base
That is half true. Auras, pulses, attacks, etc first have their source defined (lets say the actor's base for simplicity), then AoE/LoS is determined by Ht, Range, terrain, relevant modifying effects, etc.
So, measurement wouldn't start at the actor's base, but volume (Ht x Base mm), which is ever present on the stat card. I think it would be hard to argue 3D in this regard is an afterthought or secondary to 2D as it is always an element, but not guaranteed to change an outcome. This may be the crux of the issue.

No one bought anything?
Are the only fatguys with money kingdom death players?

More or less
The KD Kickstarter was just too tempting

Starving student here. I'm regretting not grabbing Parker, if that counts.

I had to choose.
BUt I also have just played a two intro games with a friend and with my brother, but am already sitting on 90$ worth of green bums and tiddies.

The fem. Nidocem was tempting, but not for 300.

Post in the Wyrd Place Off Topic and Trades group on Facebook. I have an extra, I think, and if I see you posting there I'll hit you up.

You got cheated.

Here's how Melee vs. Different Elevation works:
If you're taller than the elevated terrain (i.e. Ht 3 model attacking someone on Ht 2 Terrain) you ignore the height difference.
If you're Equal to or Shorter than the difference (Ht2 model targeting someone on Ht 3 Terrain) you subtract the height of the terrain the target is standing on from your melee range (In this case, the attacker would be at -3" to their melee range)

I don't much like it, but there it is.

I went in with a friend and my girlfriend. We're splitting the promos. Totally worth it, especially when you consider Chickodem will be going for $50 on ebay until easter. Probably the alt Bishop, too.

Blech. I hate this 'new Jack Daw' playstyle. He's far superior, though much harder to play, when he's running support.

I splurged on Parker, Sandeep, Dead Outlaws, transparent Daw and Kirai, and a few Arcanist things I was missing to get up to $300 since I either own or I'm not interested in the other LEs.

I'm basically a sucker for limited editions with disposable income, so Wyrd's sales are always fun.

I load up at gencon when i volunteer for the company so there wasn't $300 worth that i didn't already own

Well then I'll assume you bought $300 worth of Johannas for resale.

Transmortis is worth it if you're a Nicodem or Molly player, the other resser masters don't need the university zombies.

Blue Red mix. Parker's crew does a lot of tricksy bullshit like blue and they deal damage like no tomorrow.

Don't forget Karina!

Also, the Valedictorian is occasionally worth actually hiring when you need something a little more mobile than Izamu.

Mainly that you need a damn near encyclopedic knowledge of every model in the game and how they can interact with each other to even really enjoy the game. Otherwise each game is full of "Gotcha!" moments.

Good points.

Terracotta Warriors, Witchling Thralls, and Dead Outlaws. My group combined on one big order, but I managed to get Rafkin and the Sergeant.

Soon

Eh, I can see dropping Guillotine for The Bigger They Are sometimes. Scout the Field over Writhing Torment just seems incredibly wrong, though.

And that list just chooses not to take Twist and Turn (or Creeping Terror on Envy, in a crew with more than half the C7) for almost no reason. I'd kick out Sloth for a Librarian and put at least one more real upgrade back in.

This is solo Jack. He pushes the crew first turn then runs off to murder things with Scout the Field letting him come out of nowhere.

The band as carolers is just a fun add on.

So i've not played since shortly after ripples was released, my local scene kind of died, and I want to get back into things. How've the new masters and the stuff from ripples settled in to things?

So the Jorogumo (Ht3, Reach 3") swinging at a target on a Ht4 ledge would be effective Reach -1"?

That seems... iffy.
Got a page reference?
Not that I don't believe you, it's just an odd way of doing it - I wouldn't expect someone to take my work for it.

Does that really play out?
Between the regularity of sales and the expense of P&P, do you make enough profit to justify sinking $300?

>Otherwise each game is full of "Gotcha!" moments.
If you're not both talking through your crews throughout the game the first time you play each other, the gotcha is that at least one of you is a nob.
I did it a couple of times to other people, and it was so unsatisfying that it ruined the game for me - I talk through the major shenanigans with my opponent before every game, and then give them a courtesy reminder if they're on the verge of doing something unforgivably dumb during.

You can make a very solid case for not doing this in a tournament, but if you .need. a gotcha to get to the top table in a tournament, you aren't good enough to be at the top table.

Don't play with jerks? Even in tournament games I find folks are typically willing to help you not get caught by stupid shit.

>This is solo Jack.
Does that work?
Or is it one of those crews that's completely divorced from the Master for most of the game?

Deliberately playing crew/master combinations that don't use the synergies for shenanigans seems counter to the drive of what makes Malifaux interesting.

Every new master except parker is very well received. Parker is really fun, but fairly niche

I'm glad that this is the prevailing sentiment every time I see this complaint.
Maybe it's thanks to Play Like You Gotta Pair hoovering up the dickwad autists, but it seems like we get the most braux autists.

>Every new master except parker is very well received. Parker is really fun, but fairly niche

Care to elaborate?
I haven't heard a lot about him.

I'm not sure if it does, but I'll give it a shot.

The box on page 44.
"Engagement Elevation
If two models are on different elevations, the
elevation difference is added to the distance
between them when determining engagement
range and range for y Attack Actions, unless
the lower model has a Ht greater than the
elevation difference."

On a new phone, can't figure out screen caps

There was a big, huge rumble on Facebook over someone who made clear acrylic bases for his warmachine army. Looked fantastic, everything was well marked,git even got a judge to okay it before he took the time.

An infernal [higher tier judge] gave a technically correct but bull shit ruling, due to some bad wording in the rules document, saying it was not kosher.

The community spent two days belittling this guy and his frustration in having this happen. He ended up shelving his models and walking away from the dying game because the community is toxic. Half the thread was people bragging about being cunts, the other half was people going "I can't believe everyone in my area stopped playing" without a hint of irony.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

He's built with such a specific focus on scene markers that he's amazing if your opponent is trying to make things happen with them, but otherwise he's a mediocre gun. His tricks are fun and cool, but less threatening than the rest of the faction.

His thematic crew hemorrhages cards, leaving you to try to raw dog anything important. They're pretty easy to kill, they don't DO a whole lot. It's kinda like playing a watered down family who can kill scheme markers to almost get to where the family starts.

If we see a heavier market for scheme markers in 17 he'll get some play. He'd have been awesome in 15. Right now, he answers a question no one is asking.

Yup.

Technically, clear bases are a conversion, and converted models require a "lipped base." Because that lip sure does serve any function at all.

Serves the function on being the correct base

That's some wonderfully circular logic.

The lip adds a millimeter or 2. It means the world to assholes.

Nice one bruvva.
>DannyDyer.weebum

Wow.
That's pretty amazing.
In it's own very, very special way.

I assume when they were OK'd that the correct size was part of the ruling?
Calling basing a conversion for the purpose of rulings is just some next-level nonsense.

Oh probably. It takes a special level of functional autism to make it to infernal status.

Bit of an odd request, but does anyone here know where I could get the card format of the miniature cards? I really want to make this game popular around where I live, but only the main rulebook has been translated to our language and a ton of people who would be interested can't into english, so I was thinking about translating the minature cards myself

The rulebook PDFs (Check the OP) have all of the cards. You can use the PDF editor of your choice to change the text. You can then print and cut the cards out if need be.

Ohhh, I hadn't thought of that

I think that's what I'll do depending of what Wyrd tells me

No it doesn't. If you're using a 30mm base,it is by definition 30mm. If it's lipped, it's a little taller bit it's still *gasp* 30mm

Good luck! I'd love to see a wider fan base.

The Other Side Kickstarter starts Wednesday. Going to be a nice easy way to get folks into minis gaming.

Cult is going to be aces.

Couldn't they have waited til after Christmas? My wallet is already crying.

I will probably get into it if it actually turns out to be good and people at more store actually play it. Once the Three Kingdoms faction is out that is.

I am still very iffy about PVC figures. I have dealt with enough of Privateer Press and Mantic's stuff to know to hold off, especially when the very nice Kingdom Death figures are being offered through the same medium.