/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Pact Magic Edition

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread How do you avoid the edgelord pitfall of the warlock class?

dice+2d6

>How do you avoid the edgelord pitfall of the warlock class?

pact with the Archfey

play Mary Poppins

Make their patron a flaming homosexual that shows up at the worst times.

I need a ruling.

If a samurai get double advantage, does Rapid Strike use all or just one instance of advantage?

My friend who does drag in real life is having a ball playing a Fey Bladelock like this. All of his somatic spells involve voguing really hard.

bros, bladelock UA fix when? they made one for rangers...

There's no such thing as "double advantage", they don't stack

Im not sure, nobody in my game is one.

rapid strike would use up all and any instance of advantage. there's no such thing as stacking.

Don't build the personality of your character around their patron

If I were to make it a solo encounter I'd certainly give her proficiency in Dex and Wis saving throws at the very least. Possibly outright immunity to certain conditions, because I feel only legendary creatures and people should have legendary resistances.

Chain pact, play it like a buddy cop movie.

You can only gain one advantage however many effects stack. Equally, one disadvantage.

Yeah. Legendary resistance wouldn't really cut it.

The problem with proficiency in dex and wis throws it that would simply be that the save-or-die saving throw is less likely to work, but will still screw everything over if it does work. But, then again, I'm not sure if level 3 characters could do 75 damage in one round even if all their attacks autocritted and hit. A half-orc barbarian would do 3d12+strmod, sure, but.. Eh.
+wis saving throw here is pretty much mandatory either way.

Fortunately they have acrobatics proficiency which would make grapples a little harder unless they have a dedicated grappler.

Outright immunity to, say, stuns feels like it might not be too well justified, though. It should be fine in the end, I guess, though.

>Fiendlock of HIM

Well hold person is 1 minute long so they could always do it over 1-10 round depending how hard she's failing saves.

How many of you give you BBEG legendary actions?

how many legendary actions

for my DM's last session, since we finished our campaign today, he's going to let us play a level 20 oneshot next week

I rolled 1d12 (got wizard) 1d8 (Got Divination) and 1d100 (Got Hobgoblin-luckier than I expected)

I had to use standard array of course, but what do you guys say my build should be for now?

I mean, Lucky feat portent and foresight are a given, but divination spells themselves aren't all that breathtaking.

>lel your save-or-suck just vanishes into the ether, better burn him down with trash spells first :D :D :D
I just give my BBEGs multiple initiatives.

i give all enemies minimum 3 legendary actions from the get-go. it makes the game a lot more exciting

Legendary actions, not Legendary Resistance you fucking wad.

I also rolled for Background, and got City Watch

I don't stop there, I give his lieutenants 1-2 legendary actions, even if it's something like a souped-up hobgoblin with the ability to summon a goblin firing squad as a lair action. It's videogamey as fuck but I love doing it.

When you have multiple initiatives you can perform legendary things with a normal Action : )

With +wis to the save, they're a lot less likely to fail two saves in a row. If the hold person is cast right after their turn though and they do fail two saves before succeeding, that's seven full player turns where they're paralyzed and then 4 full player turns where they're not paralyzed, but are waiting to have a turn. That'd be enough to kill them.
But, yes, with +wis they might get unlucky and fail one save, but succeed the other and get to fight. That'll still be pretty dramatically fight-changing with them losing a turn and spending most of a round paralyzed.

If the party has a portent wizard however who has any low portent dice, they're screwed.

26th for monk UA tomorrow.

Why not both

>fey monk
>battlemaster monk
>undead monk

Can we stop with this stupid meme

no

>meme
>stupid
>stop
pick none

One of my final boss designs was an elite squad (the real BBEG behind them who may or may not be on board isn't particularly grandly powerful, they're just influential) that mans an armoured vehicle.

As such, that'd be about one turn per thing on board, limited by what the people on board can do (they can't use a weapon twice on one turn, naturally, so depending on how players are positioned it might essentially lose 'legendary actions').

Another earlier boss had a modified version of haste which allowed them to also act on initiative-10, but with a limited number of things they could do. They also summon shade-like beings which act on their own accord, so even if you did subdue them they essentially have goon back-up.

Had one accidental boss that was excessively tough for the level, but it didn't have all the usual BBEG protections or legendary actions and all that. It was slow. It was stopped primarily by a team effort to down it to a prone position.

I feel kind of bad that none of the concepts/things that happened actually had legendary actions, but for sure I would have used it in other cases. Legendary actions are quite nice, I think.

Are you implying that Arcane Archer wasn't both Fey and Battlemaster Fighters?
>gets its magic from elves, which came from fey
>it's just two maneuvers / rest

And Samurai was clearly the Undead Fighter
>resistant to physical damage
>breaks off mind-affecting spells
>gets a free turn when reduced to 0 HP so it can stay alive and kick your ass more

Surely they won't be that lazy.
It'll instead be
>anti-fey monk
>undeath powered monk
>a fucked up wot4e rebalance that makes it op as hell

Entire full turns beyond two turns a round is stupid.

Legendary actions are designed to be simply single pieces - A single move, a single attack, a single X or Y. If you let them do too much, it breaks down any sense of tactics as they become too versatile.

>making WOT4E overpowered
I don't quite know how they'd manage that unless they decided 'oh, spells should all cost 1 ki!' and then give them wish as 1 ki or something stupid.

Or, they might ditch the psuedo-spellcasting entirely and make it actually good. Hopefully it'll include those elemental cantrips so monks can fight using literal tonnes of water.

>rangers from the phb are UP
The hunter in the party is getting like +9 to hit with ranged attacks and nearly one shot a party member with a critical fail that dealt normal damage.

We already have an undeath powered monk in the SCAG though.

>Critfail hits an ally instead
Damnit user, do you have any idea the can of worms you've just opened?

>nearly one shot a party member with a critical fail
What kind of asshole idiot DM uses critical fumbles?

With enough backstory you can do some pretty bright stuff. At least for a while. Mine Old One Tomelock started as such:
>Be from noble family known for it's draconic sorcerer bloodline.
>Anyone who doesn't manifest sorcery is still taught basic wizardry to keep up appearances.
>10 int, she's really bad at it.
>Eventually finds a book in the family library that teaches her how do magic in a way she actually understands.
>Uses it to fake passing her tutoring.
>She keeps finding more and more stuff in the book as she levels, all while pretending to be a wizard and doing her best to help her family's subjects.
The best pawns of the Great Old Ones are the ones who don't know they're pawns.

Neither of those points are true

>nearly one shot at least 3rd level PC with 1d8+4 damage
I find that hard to believe.

Are you the mirror image of my sorc char?
Again a noble but from warlock only family who turned draco sorc when the genes from few generation old experiments activated.

But they are.

But they're not... trying to interpret the Arcane Archer as a Fey archetype and the Samurai as an anti-undead archetype is an idiotic, memey attempt at (You)

How?

Did they somehow shoot the wizard who has hardly any HP?

If they're a hunter, they must be at at least level 3, they'll have a lot more + to hit than + to damage. I suppose if the wizard was missing only 1 HP, they could deal an extra 1d8, but it's not one-shotting them from full HP.

I'd excuse critical fumbles if there's a reason (there's a fumble check roll that means there's less than a 1/20 chance of fumbling, you can only hit a teammate if you fire into melee combat or through their square or over a long distance and near a teammate, etc).

What's the best thing to use for a quick monster stat block if you need a barbarian enemy? Rage and all.

>LITERALLY gets its powers from Fey
>LITERALLY has all the hallmarks of Undead
>not Fey and Undead archetypes
user please

a bow fighter would get the same bonuses and damage, only earlier

ranged characters are OP, not rangers

>>>
> Anonymous 12/11/16(Sun)15:33:23 No.50650310 ▶
>
>>nearly one shot at least 3rd level PC with 1d8+4 damage
>I find that hard to believe.
Maybe Con was his dump stat

The berserker with rage, perhaps? Monster manual pg 344

Elves aren't fey you braindead autist

Can a PC solo rakshasa ?

Berserker stat block. If you need it a bit tougher: Gladiator, Champion, or Warlord. Don't bother with rage, they have enough HP that it won't make that huge of a difference either way.

>doesn't give PC level
Yeah sure why not

I must have completely skimmed over that, I was looking for something called 'Berserker' word for word.

Thanks for the page number. I'll probably just increase HP and give it the brute trait, then.

>elves descended from fey
>inherited all their powers from fey
>using elven magic is basically magic from fey
I bet you think we didn't get cars from fucking fish, either. Who's the real retard here?

It has 110 HP and a vulnerability, so sure. Some players could kill them in a single round.

However, the more reliable tried-and-true way to do it is to simply use a monk with two levels in portent wizard to gaurantee their instant kill ability to work.

Don't pick Fiend or Undying. Or if you do play them as charming devils, you're a CHA caster after all.

Alternatively, you just just make a character whose personality doesn't reflect the nature of their Patron.

>you just just make a character whose personality doesn't reflect the nature of their Patron.

This x 1000

This. I made an Undying that was just WAY in over their head and it was super fun.

What does tg think about intermingling adventures?

I've dropped in a few chapters from other books as sidequests or dungeons randomly throughout SKT.

Now I'm running hotdq for the same people and they're going to recognize at least one of the major dungeons.

Should I just rerun it since I can trust them not to metagama, or should I rework it to be different?

This.
Fey warlocks are objectively the best archtyoe to play, and have party members of

New player here, looking at Chromatic Orb. Since it lists a diamond worth 50g as a material component, that both means that I can't component pouch it, AND it's lost every time you cast that spell, right?

You only lose it if the description says that the component is consumed.

The diamond is not consumed by the spell, so you can reuse it as many times as you want

You can't component pouch it, you need a 50gp diamond. But you only ever need the 1. If it consumed the diamond, it would say so. All other spells that consume their components state so.

Spice it up, so it seems the players encounter things they haven't seen before. 'Oh, I didn't know there was a secret area here.'
'Oh, the route we took last time had a cave-in?'

Heck, bonus points if you leave the remains of the party's last adventure in there. 'It's the corpses of those guys we killed before, but they've withered away to skeletons'.

It'll just be them sitting in silence, suffering as they try to pretend they haven't seen the spoilers to the movie.

What do you guys think of a Dwarf Bladelock dumping Cha and basically just playing as a martial who can cast some rituals if needed? Not playing past 10 most likely.

Why not just play a Fighter with the Ritual Caster feat?

It's literally impossible to do.
Since you can't actually ritual cast spells and be a blade lock, that's pact of the tome only.

If you pick up the ritual casters feat though you can do it with any class. So I would probably make a fighter that does what you are thinking but with that feat instead.

My Fiend Pact Warlock comes from a family with a staunch tradition of being Wizards.

>Be from line of wizards.
>Not dumb, but kinda clumsy and ditzy.
>Really likeable though.
>Tries to summon and bind devil so she can surprise-impress her father.
>Fails utterly in binding it.
>Breaks down crying in front of devil.
>Devil awkwardly takes pity on her and makes her a Warlock.
>Can finally do magic.
>ADVENTURE!

If you really want that fluff of "martial who can use some spells when needed", just go V.Human Fighter, and take Magic Initiate. Outside of the "required" spells, which is literally just Shield and Absorb Elements, take a bunch of useful cantrips like Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Friends, Find Familiar, etc.

So I guess it has the specific component despite being 1st-level to cover the fact that it does such large amounts of damage?
Why not EK?

Still sounds very much like 'I'm picking a feature that does nothing other than give me martial weapon proficiency and allow me to use an invocation to get extra attack, even though everybody else gets extra attack anyway'.

Not to mention, warlocks can't cast rituals unless they're tomelocks or have something else.

Well the other option is one of the many optional chapters in SKT just swapped in.

I mean, to word it better
'I'm picking that feature and trying to find a way to make it viable, but dwarf gives strength and medium armour proficiency so why not?'

And the reason why not is because then you won't have PAM until level 4. And then you won't have an ASI. But, I guess that's only -1 strength over human. Yet, that -1 strength is kind of worth 2 strength when you consider that 15+2 = 17 and a human would have 18.
So, in the end, multiclassing still sounds kinda better, but eh.

I'd still do it anyway, but change things up so that it's a 'revisisted' sort of experience.

Eh, on third thought dwarf is still fine. Probably one of the better options for bladelock.
Bladelock still sounds way too silly, though.

What are the best multiclass options for each class?

Every class:

fighter 2

1 Warlock Undying light X Sorc Faithful 4xGreenFlameblade attacks each round with +10 dmg to second targets on them

Im looking for a name/art for a magic item im making, a glove/pair of gloves that can cast grasping vine once per day, and thorn whip at will

Gauntlet of the Creeper

How is someone casting 4 cantrips a turn?

2 fighter, 3 warlock, 17 sorcerer for 12d10+60+12d6 damage with an action surge and quicken spell on eldritch blast with hex up.

Forgot about that. Honestly, I just want some sort of short-range warlock so I can use Armor of Agathys effectively.

>level 22

Magic, didn't you read?

You are using quicken and twin on the cantrip greenflame blade. And no it does not target sice targes have to be in spell range its written to specificly not target the second creature

Sorry, I meant 15 sorcerer. Although the 15 levels in sorcerer don't really matter anyways, you just need to be able to use quicken spell all the time.

Honestly, it's odd because the only way to cast armor of agathys at a level beyond 5 is to multiclass. Not that you're likely to get those spell slots.

You could go sorlock and focus on combining BB and GFB together whilst using shillelagh from pact of the tome. If you have a spare invocation, pact of the tome could give you some rituals (Any up to level 2), too. Warlock3/SorcererX, though I guess that fucks with what little spell progression you'll get and stops right before an ASI.

Thinking about it further, oddly..
Wouldn't armor of agathys synergize best with something such as bear barbarian?

>action: Armor of agathys
>bonus action: rage
>anyone who attacks you deals half damage, yet takes full armor of agathys damage

Alternatively, heavy armour mastery and blade ward.
>you can reduce an attack to potentially 0 and still deal damage back

Nondetection makes the target immune to divination spells, even detect magic and see invisibility. Greenflame Blade more targets the second creature than any of those target the things you see, and that's the official answer.

What does that even mean? It is pretty clear GFB does not target multiple creatures.

You can't twin and quicken the same spell you nog. Read the phb. You could twin one and quicken another, getting you 3, but this is still not 4.

Ok guess its shit then only letting you get 3 attacks off