What is your favourite uncommon race in fantasy tabletops, Veeky Forums? Forget the dwarves, elves and hoomans...

What is your favourite uncommon race in fantasy tabletops, Veeky Forums? Forget the dwarves, elves and hoomans. What unusual or unique race do you like the best, and why? For me it's Goliaths. Fair, lawful and pragmatic, as well as ridiculously strong.

>inb4 kender

Muls sterile cross breeds between Dwarves and Humans in D&Ds Dark Sun Campaign setting.

Bald pride world wide.

Minotaurs, but very beast-like minotaurs. Not just humans with the head of a bull.

And 4e Tieflings and Dragonborn, but I'm not sure if they count as uncommon.

Breh. Are you me?

so the left more than the right?

Svirfneblin.

Duck. People.

Tengu.

I like Crows.

I have no tengu pictures

I've always like the Aasimar. Something about the inherit conflict of being cast as the "good guy" before you've even had a chance to figure out what that means really gets me.

>Minotaurs, but very beast-like minotaurs. Not just humans with the head of a bull.

Jesus, user. Same here. Love me some badass minotaurs.

Goat People. Doesn't matter what kind or setting.

Lizardfolk

Me too. Do you play King of Dragon Pass?

Of course. But that particular pic is from a Swedish game called Symbaroum. Andriks are basically a giant Gloranthan duck reference.

I'll have to check that out. It looks really cool.

I'd have said robot, but if we're doing fantasy I guess I'll go with warforged and/or golem

Flumphs.

It's not even about the tentacles. I just think the entire concept is downright adorable.

Forgot pic.

Unusual Beastfolk. The kind nobody makes into their fursona. Yakmen and Klackons, for example.

>The kind nobody makes into their fursona.
>Being that naive

Insect/Arthropod races.

>bugpeople and cowmen
>the kind nobody makes into their fursona.

are you fucking serious?

Driders.

What the--who put duck people in my dark Eastern European RPG? And why am okay with this?

I need the stats for duck people as a player race. I can't find anything on DriveThruRPG.

Creamfillians

Loxodons, Represent

the humans with the head of a bull actually seem more uncommon to me. Most versions I can recall are more like the Warcraft minotaurs. hooves and bestial hunching and covered in fur and such.

>like the Warcraft minotaurs. hooves and bestial hunching and covered in fur and such
This is mostly a more modern depiction, like only in the last twenty or so years.

Fuck you Carl! That was a shitty game and you know it!

My all time favourite character I ever played was a Goliath barbarian. Ever since then I have never been able to make a character with the same charm those stone skinned bastard had.
Great tastes OP

look up kenku, friend. or just look up tengu, there is a few good crow ones

The webcomic Order of Tales has a bunch of crow-people in it.

Do they have female minotaurs or are they classic D&D minotaurs, who can only reproduce with the females of other species?

Fuck my sides he looks like a fetish version of Mr Proper

Absolutely this. I only got to play one once and it was so much fun. We had a guy in the group that wouldn't knock it off with the puns around him and they had some great interactions. I kinda miss that campaign.

Most other games I can't play a monster race like that really.

Robots, undead, and insects, and most especially combinations of all three -- pic related doesn't really qualify, but it's close enough I think

I love the Gloranthan duck people (thanks King of Dragon Pass!)

Tbh my money has to go to either the hardcore beastman Minotaurs, or Codex Alera style Canim/wolfman things.

You know. The kind that are seven or eight feet tall, have completely alien body language and social cues, and will tear your throat out if they smell fear.

It would seem the Angel Katerina Donlan has graced us with her presence.

Speaking of which, lot of fun races and designs there.

It was an April Fool's joke by the Jarngrigen team but they actually gave stats for them as a playable race. If I remember their lore right they're a rare race of duck people that are often seem as river bandits or something like that.

once one of my players made a spider drider. I thought it was a typo and he wanted a spider rider and I was okay with that. He explain that no, it was supposed to be a 'centaur except both halves are spiders. Meaning it's got 16 legs and stands half upright.'

it was horrifying

Stag/reindeer/moose people. I heard about cernunnos one time when I was young and the idea sorta stuck with me.

>Stag/reindeer/moose people
Centaur or humanoid?

I like beastmen. Something like Broo or Warhammer beastmen that can breed with anything and create more filthy goddamn beastmen.

Failing that, pig orcs. Not even necessarily evil ones, their aesthetic is just too good to pass up.

Representin toadfolk, croak to croak.

>Not just humans with the head of a bull.
The only time I saw that was in Kevin Sorbo Hercules.
Else I agree. Minotaurs are awesome.

Birds. Not birdmen, not giand birds, just birds. A whole flock.

Shadar-Kai

Are kobolds uncommon?

Dogbolds are shit.

I like Genasi. I have always been a fan of the "four classical elements" theme.

Oozes, slimes, jellies, etc.. Lousy Ghaunadaur had to throw a hissyfit because Lolth wouldn't go out with him. So he stole the intelligence from all the slimes. Gelatinous Cube could have been a playable monster monster race, but they were cursed with a moronic deity that thought it would be a good idea to do irrepairable damage to all his followers - followers which are kinda essential for being a powerful deity. Now Ghaunadaur's a third-rate chump that no one cares about. I just wanted to be a pudding.

I want more fauns and more traditional elves, like little mischievous sprites.

Less of the violent stuff and more of the quirky.

Someone explain what a fucking goliath is?

(and everyone knows that you're supposed to pronounce it "Goal-ee-uth" right? not "gol-eye-ath". The hebrew's not ambiguous)

I really want to include ducks in my games but I'm always afraid it'll come off as too goofy.

half-giants with stone powers if I remember correctly

you sound a little quackers

user, more than half the English-speaking population pronounces it the latter way.

Your way is incorrect, regardless of whether or not it's "right".

Player character race found in Elemental Evil online supplement PDF, and also found in Colors guide to monsters.

If I remember correctly, they've been in DnD since 3rd edition?

They're basically half-stone giant humans who like to wrestle, fight, and occasionally chill with Stone giants.

*Volo's guide. Holy shit I'm retarded.

are you my brother?
i prefer undead, insects and myconids (spore people)

Spider people.
But not giant talking spiders, or anthro spiders, or monstergirl spiders, or driders.
I'm talking about a creepy, decrepit blend of spider and man, with horrific spider faces and eight spindly limbs, chittering amongst themselves as they bear down upon the party with unnatural weapons.

Cats. Not cat people, just physically normal domestic cats with human-like intelligence.

Love this shit.

Any type of undead as a full fledged race that can openly walk the streets of a cosmopolitan enough city. But I think it's rarely executed in a way that works.

Nerubians are the best

Not proud to say this but my favorite is secretly pic related

wizard doggo?

At least they aren't OP anymore.

How is it that lizardfolk are so great, yet dragonborn are so terrible?

Kuo-Toa
autistic fishmen represent

You're alright with me, brother. We'll hold the swamp down together.

>goofy

It's probably going to look more Donald, actually...

>Badum Tss

MR. CLEAN
MR. CLEAN

Firbolgs. Because they were Goliaths before 3e came along and replaced them and 5e fucked them up.

tfw love beastmen, tribal minotaurs, and lizardfolk but have always struggled incorporating them into a setting

I don't have a favorite, but I really like gnolls just for how different they can be from humans.

So Lupin from that old 80s Sword Coast setting for D&D.

Because some people have no taste and have some weird expectations of what a scaled race are supposed to be like.

HOLY FUCK.
I've got to use this as my next character. Have everyone call me the Cleaner.

I've always wanted to play as a brave kobold who stands up against people taller than him. Sort of like David and Goliath.

4e firbolgs are the fucking coolest, though

Pixies. Im 6 inches tall, and strong enough to beat you to death with your friend's carcass.

And there's nothing quite like loading up 12hours of "Stop. Listen." repeated endlessly.

How do you go from badass bastard spawn of a giant to a hippy fucking fae like creature?

Such disappointment.

The 5e devs are incompetent hacks, thats how.

Half stone giant hybrids from what I can remember.

>tfw you see a player make a gimmick character with an accent
>tfw everyone loves it for the first session or two
>tfw you watch them slowly grow disinterested in their one dimensional character

Honestly? Changeling from the Eberron setting. I like the lore, I love the shapesshifting ability and just the overall usefulness of them. Don't have a picture on my phone, but yeah. Love the race.

These guys

Dragonborn give a bit of a Mary-Sue edgelord persona to them by default. Lizardmen aren't born of superpowered beasts that can fly and spit fire. They're just lizards. Plus, they haven't been corrupted by Skyrim fanboys.

Ilumians are pretty rad. Humans turned language incarnate.

Most of my love might just be because they make perfect Truenamers, though.

>Plus, they haven't been corrupted by Skyrim fanboys.
But the dragonborn in Elder Scrolls is nothing like that. It's not even a race.

This is a guy I currently use as an NPC for my players.

I don't have Tengu as a race, but he's a crow based homonculus accidentally made as a byproduct of a fledgling sorceress' attempts to control her magic.

He's an alcoholic and solves problems through violence (where as the sorceress lacks confidence and is generally pretty beta).

Gigants, but not that godzilla style gigants

But the "human with 'gigantism being their nomal size'" one

Inst they illumians basically "illuminate conspiracies -the race"

Are there half-storm giants?

>water is green
>air is blue

In some of my settings, there's a being known as the Great Flumph. He's a city-sized Flumph that floats through the Far Realm, acting as a bubble of stability, sanity, and calm within the realm of madness, with a city of Flumphs upon his back.

He's not especially wise or special, he's just really really old and big. Like a Discworld Turtle, only he's a Flumph as powerful as most greater lovecraftian horrors.

While Slaad are toad-like, they're distinctly different than just toad-people.

Water is more often green than not, and the sky is always blue.