Has any sci-fi setting ever been improved by the prequels?

Has any sci-fi setting ever been improved by the prequels?

StarWars.

Muh baits

Metal Gear Solid.

age of sigmar, wh50k

A Deepness in the Sky was a pretty good prequel to A Fire Upon the Deep. (But still read AFUtD first, Deepness contains spoilers for a major subplot element)

Has ANYTHING ever been improved by prequels? The best I can say is that a story set at an earlier point in a setting's timeline can be interesting, but I think it's best if it's so far in the past as to be a distinct story from the original in its own right.

Anyway.

If we're counting games, then Star Wars. KOTOR is pretty cool. And, well, the Prequels have some good ideas that are just executed atrociously. The Jedi being destroyed by their own hidebound nature is cool. Sheev playing both sides of a galactic war is cool. The republic being a noble but fundamentally inefficient and flawed structure is cool, and the irony of the Clone Troopers starting out as allies of the Jedi and defenders of the Republic is great.

Dune's quality drops pretty quickly, obviously, but finding out that the Harkonnens were shamed for the cowardice of refusing to slaughter people who were being used as human shields was kind of cool.

HH series is... not spectacular, but does have some neat ideas. I rather hate the Primarchs and the whole "Superhero fight" nature of their stories, but the stuff about figuring out what the Space Marine's role would be after the galaxy is conquered and what a shady dude the Emperor is are ok.

Basically, the best I can think of prequels is that they can sometimes provide an interesting detail or clarify a point, but the truth is they usually lack dramatic tension and just sort of shadow the original.

Fully agree, the Metal Gear prequels were not only good games themselves; they also tied up loose ends.

MGS3? Absolutely

the others? Not so much

Is Mad Max Sci Fi?

No you fool

You've got goat taste, man. A Deepness in the Sky is one of my favorite books ever. Also, I agree with your stance.

Is there prequels to Mad Max? Wouldn't that just be 1970's Australia.

I think the Foundation series (Asimov books if you don't know what I'm talking about) became better with the prequels. They gave some valuable insight on how some of the stuff worked & why some things as they are.

rouge one. he is right now.

>rogue one improved the original trilogy

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake was the last good Metal Gear game desu.

>implying that based disney and yearly star wars movies isn't the best thing that has ever happened to star wars

;^)

Deus Ex.
still not better than the original

Old Republic counts as a prequel, right? That improved Star Wars

Prequels make money, and therefore improve an IP.

TORtanic improved nothing.

The Horus Heresy started out great.

Now not so much