>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3743kl/multiclass_spellcaster_spell_slot_progression/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>It's a caster that plays like a martial
So by that you mean that it's a caster that uses the "left mouse button" option most of the time? Because that's how martials mostly work, and that's how warlock works, I guess.

>shield
>javelins
>shortsword
>chainmail
Wait a minute
Are paladins romaboos?

Katana when?

What's his class?

No theme? Sad.

So, I thought having Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 / Diviner X with Lucky feat would be fun. What do you think of it?

Divination Wizard: Potent on Polymorph then cast sleep.

Should my DM be buttmad and accusing this tactic for being OP?

Multi-class question

Playing a Mastermind Rogue right now. My character tends to do a lot of talking and reasoning, without expertise in CHA skills (he has expertise in DEX skills), level 3. We have an arcane archer and open fist monk in our party too. No healing, besides potions.

I was thinking about taking some levels of Bard now for the healing, utility, and expertise.

Should I stick straight Rogue or Multi-class into Bard?

Also, rogues should not face this problem.

Rogues are less stat-reliant to get high AC, though they do get outdone by monks on AC later.
Rogues have uncanny dodge, which is, y''know, a thing.
Rogues also work well enough at range.
.. And they have cunning action or maybe swashbuckler abilities to run from melee combat easily.
Then, they have much more compatibility with a tough class like barbarian to dramatically increase their survivability, and they can even fuck around with stealth with stealth expertise and bonus action to hide in order to keep out of sight. With a slight multiclass, they can even wear shields, and with extra attack they can prone an enemy, attack them and then run without much fear of an attack of opportunity. Not that monks can't do that.

Seriously though, rogues should use ranged more often.

It's very, very hard to get a flat modifier to your save DC, but there are some effects like socerer's heightened spell that give a person disadvantage.

No, unless he's a little buttbaby.

You are a mastermind, have a cleric NPC accompany you and heal you.

LET"S GO

Go bard, why not?

Heck, even consider paladin if you don't like the bard flavor. You can be a born-again rogue.

Valor bard isn't bad since it gives you extra attack.
Still, it'd probably work better if you were an AT or thief. A thief could use the 'healer' feat well.

Or you could ask your DM to run a different version of death saves that's a little more hardcore but doesn't promote heal spamming everybody up one HP each time they go down.

But Alonne used an odachi.

Thief Rogue

Good themathically but no mechanic synergy. Going 2 Divination first will probably be more fun.

shutthefuckupyoufuckingWEEB

Is Swift Quiver worth it on valor bard?

Excuse me, I do not understand the mechanic synergy problem:
I thought I could use wizard spell slots to cast sorcerer spells and provoke wild effects, and use the wild magic feature to even more fuck the dices.

Monk.

Alonne uses something that would be most accurately considered a Nagamaki.

Yes, if you're an archer. You get it twice as early as a ranger, and that's supposed to be their thing.

Nagamaki seems kinda short.

Wizard and Sorcerer use the same spell slot in 5e dude. You dont get more spell slot for multiclassing. You get the same slot as Sorcerer 2 or Wizard 2.

And lucky doesn't work on wild magic surge (neither does portent).

I just want Finesse weapon that is not a god damn pointy stick OK?

THOUGHTS???

Wrong

This

Your fist isn't a finesse weapon. Why should anything else be.

Yeah but you're not gonna casting them a lot.

Best feat for an open hand monk?

>undead
>amphibious
Redundant.

As a level 7 Arcane Trickster, I get four 1st level spells and two 2nd level spells. If I multiclass into a full caster, I add a third of my rogue levels rounded down to the full caster and look at the spell slot list on phb 165. However, seven rogue levels only gives me three 1st level spells on that list.

Surely this is some kind of error and it's supposed to be rounded up? As-is I'd lose spells per level by going into a half or third caster, and not gain any by going into a full caster.

>With all this talk about guns, let's talk about the implications of DMG modern weapons.
>Let's say you start a modern game with exactly the base rules of 5e and with full access to modern firearms. What would the implications be on character creation?
>Would everyone go fighter to take advantage of multiple attacks? Does the shield spell become more necessary? In general, what sort of characters and parties should we expect?

You have (7/3 rounded down) + 1 level in spellcasting, which gives you 4 1st level spells and 2 2nd level spells. That's the exact same as if you went into a level 8 Arcane trickster, except you know 7 spells and 6 cantrips instead of the 6 spells and 3 cantrips you'd have if you just went 8 Arcane trickster.

I don't see what's the issue.

Nope.

I guess they were just scared of potentially 'broken' caster multiclasses, even though it only punishes half and third casters.

You essentially lose 2 rogue levels worth of spellcasing.

However, you can still prepare level 2 wizard spells, even though your AT class only gives you level 1 spells before other things.

>1 full caster level
>1/3 of 7 rogue levels rounded down = 2
>Total Spellcaster level = 3
>4 lvl 1 spellslots, 2 lvl 2's
Your math is shit, son.

If your alchemist was a gardener, what would be the ideal form of your mechanical servant?

I'm thinking either something with thumbs or something big enough that can fly and scout out rare plants/ingredients. Or bring them to you.

Thanks to a kind user's contribution, a bunch of Kobold Press' material has been added to the trove (Deep Magic 5-10 + Blood Vaults of Sister Alkava).

i started BECAUSE my brother wanted to play, his last DM made the game unfun and flaked constantly and kept bringing in friends to play and them having them leave for him to play them and clutter the game.
so i went to do it but apparently his friends had moved on to other games and were mostly in it for my brother.
he really would like to play and id like to DM.
thank and there is a game shop around here, my brother got me dice from there to thank me, but looking it up it seems to be a mostly Magic place, they have meet ups and tourney almost constantly.
why you live anywhere near cape coral?

>Using Logic

Lolsorandom garbage.

ill be honest, a lot of it is for me. my own entertainment and piece of mind.
i fully expect my players to not interact with a fraction of the lore and world, im struggling to think why this campaign should even leave the borders of the "main" European-esqe continent. but if they do its there, if they have questions i have answers. and if i do another campaign i have a whole world to work with.

If I pick a giant octopus as my creature can it still only breathe underwater?

Surely a construct doesn't require food, air, or water.

Get a whip.
I think you missed the point. A level 7 AT has four 1st level spells and two second level spells, per the spell slots per day list in the rogue. In the multiclassing one, he only gets three 1st level spells. The rogue (and fighter) list rounds to the nearest whole number, but the multiclassing one rounds down.

So how does the new Artificer stack up against the other classes?

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3743kl/multiclass_spellcaster_spell_slot_progression/

It compares decently to a more magical rogue.

It has good utility and buffing in the base class. Alchemist has decent-ish damage but unmatched AoE control. Gunsmith has good single-target and AoE damage.

It won't be breaking any damage records but isn't bad either. It's perfectly mid-tier, which is great to be at for a first version.

Would be sub par but Servant really bumps it up to being pretty good.

Not him
But AT 7 / Wizard 1 would use a level 4 caster slot on multiclass table right?
That is 4*1st level and 2*2nd level

which is 1 more 2nd level spell than Arcane trickster 8

No, just third level, which means that taking a level of full caster counterintuitively gives you no more spells per day.

1/3rd caster, d8 HD, Medium armor, damage is comparable to a rogue getting sneak attack consistently. Decent utility as well, getting 3 or 4 tool proficiencies + expertise, and general utility and healing magic, if not a terribly versatile spell list.

It's not bad. It's not amazing, but overall it's a nice addition to the class lineup. It's a well rounded class that doesn't overshadow anything.

You use your Rogue level divided by 3 and rounded down, plus your wizard level (7/3 round down = 2) + 1 = 3, not 4.

lol, if you multi into a half caster you get less spells per day!

It is not a mistake. It is intentional. You don't actually lost anything but you don't get more spell just by dabbling in Wizard. The rounding down is just getting rid of people trying to cheese a dip in multiclass to get access to higher slot.

On the other hand AT6/Wizard3 (spell casting 5) will have 3rd spell slot, while AT 9 still only have 2nd.

You can never actually lose spell slots through multiclassing.

However, you can delay spell slot progression through multiclassing.

It's possible to have two classes which give you 2 levels of spellcasting each but only in total have 2 levels of spell casting after multiclassing.

>In the multiclassing one, he only gets three 1st level spells.
Yes, because the table is only relevant if you're multiclassing with another casting class, which will always add at least one point (since you need to have 3 levels to get EK Fighter and 2 to get Ranger caster).

Once you combine with another casting class, you will never have fewer spell slots than if you went with a full arcane trickster.

No, he's right. AT7 gets 4/2. AT7/Ranger1 gets 3/0.

You round down. Ranger 1 actually does lose you one level of casting.

No, ranger1 does not have the spellcasting feature.

No, he doesn't, because Ranger doesn't have the spellcasting feature yet and doesn't count on the multiclass spell slot table. You would only have the Arcane Trickster slots until you at least got to Ranger 2, at which you would get 4/2 vs. AT8's 4/2.

I don't lose levels of spellcasting when I multiclass fighter on the off-chance I spec to Eldritch Knight. You only multiclass casting with Ranger if you hit 2nd level, same as paladin.

You only use the multiclass spell slot table when you've actually got the Spellcasting feature from multiple classes, and Ranger 1 doesn't have Spellcasting.

>but you don't get more spell just by dabbling in Wizard
Why shouldn't I? Spells are pretty much what the wizard does, I'm spending a level on improving my magic.

Mechanical Servant should really be moved into its own archetype, where they could afford to make it good.

The bear is undead, the sharks are amphibious

He's wrong, you do get all the wizard spells a wizard gets plus the spells an AT gets.

Yes, I agree with you, but it seems to me that it does not change my idea:
As a sorc 1/ diviner 6, I can use a level 3 slot to cast either a sorc spell, either a wiz spell. So I have the abilities (and spells known) of a diviner plus the ability to generate wild surges and recover my ability to gain advantage on one roll.
I just have to choose useful, mid-game revelant spells as a sorc, for I will have a few.
Indeed, Lucky nor Portent do not work on wild surges: I see them as 3 separate ways for my characters to bend reality at my advantage.

Mechanical servant is fine.

It's not like campaign go above level 10 anyway ;-;

Ran my first session as a DM Duo today. 2 DMs for 3 players.

Lemme tell you, it was fuggin amazing.

Especially since most of the session was improv, if one of us was struggling or stuck the other could just pick it up.

Combat was improved too, everything went so quickly and smoothly.

10/10 would recommend

>2 DMs
>For 3 players

For what purpose?

Wild Surge trigger is really depend on DM you dont trigger the surge dice roll after every cast. Some DM will forgot it exist unless you are being an interruptive faggot and constantly nag him while he is describing what happen.

And level 1 spell that is useful and relevant at level 7? That will be hard to find, especially since it's a direct competition with your Wizard spell, action economy wise.

And Divination Wizard don't actually change reality. They just have precognition dream, that why you have to use portent before your DM roll.

Let's say you're a major league baseball player, and to work on your stamina, you start doing kiddie league soccer at your local elementary school. Do you think that your stamina is going to improve significantly beyond what it would normally just because you're playing with some elementary schoolers? You might have learned how to use your stamina differently in a different sport, but that's about it. If you want to improve your stamina you'd better at least be playing soccer as a semi-pro.

Same thing with taking a single level in wizard. Just because you took a few beginner apprentice mage classes doesn't double your magical ability. You might know a few new spells/ways to use your magical abilities, but you're not suddenly hot shit because you took a 101 course in wizardry. If you want to seriously improve your magic ability beyond standard arcane trickster progression you're going to need to go a few more levels.

Some DM like world build but hate story telling and mechanic. They are usually turn into that DM with their own magical realm.

Like I said, it's a good themathic character but pretty bad mechanic wise. Just like a bladelock. Still doesn't stop people from playing and having fun with it though. 5e isn't a dick measuring contest like 3.pf, so you should be fine.

It was originally going to be two groups of 3 that would occasionally cross paths but 2 of my players flaked, so we are having the 4th join in next session.

But seriously, it is so much better than solo DMing. As of now I would still prefer it to 1 DM and 4 players

Giant eagle.

It's also an areal mount and can drop bombs for you.
>spend slots on fireball potions
>put them in a pouch and have the eagle drop it over a target
>watchtheworldburn.jpg

I've played in games with 2 DMs before. In my experience, it's played where one person is the "main" or "real" DM while the other one helps with initiative calls, marching order, looking up spells for the first DM, etc. According to them it's a good way to prepare for DMing on one's own.

It wasn't really a big deal, the deutero-GM had a "DMPC" that was basically just a PC, so it wasn't really very different at all from an ordinary one-GM group.

> 2 parties that cross path
You avoid a disaster there. Unless all your players are cool adult.

>level 1 spells that stay relevant
shield
detect magic
alarm
identify
comprehend languages
maybe feather fall?

Not him, but I also run a small group with a co-DM. I do the worldbuilding and general campaign outlines, he does the encounter prep, and then when running the game He's the main DM actually running the story, giving narrative descriptions and roleplaying the NPCs the party interact with, while I run the mechanical side of things during play.

> ritual
> ritual
> ritual
> ritual
I will give you shield. Feather fall when you have fly?

>wasting level 3 slots

I already play a wild magic sorc 1, the GM gave me the initiative for anouncing the wild surge trigger. I try to provoke it when I am surrounded by foes to limit the damages on my team.

Yeah, I have to find those spells.

Yes, Portent does precognition, while Lucky happens right at the moment, as the advantage from Wild Surge. It does noy do the same thing, but end up bending the chances.

True, its not the most optimized. Nevertheless, it seems fun, and that is why I am not rejecting yet the Chain GOOlock. I could even multiclass it with rogue after level 3, it could be really funky a rogue who speaks in other people's head, never has the same face and has an invisible buddy.

As
Said, Shield can be a good trigger if I get in trouble. Feather fall too.

Featherfall is for when you want to concentrate on something else, or don't want to waste a 3rd-level slot for whatever reason.

Though that guy should probably go sor2/wiz5 if he's doing that, might as well get metamagic

> waste a sorcerer spell known for a very situation niche spell

You are already a shit sorcerer.

Can Bard with fabricate create everything? I mean... Jack of all trade at level 10, kinda mean I am proficienct with all tool right?

For a Open Hand Monk, should I go with Alert, Mobile or Lucky?

ASI.

Human variant

Mobile, then. It's great on monks.

Get something that increases wisdom or dex by 1.

Or, I guess, mobile because you can run away from enemies after punching them which is kind of important.

>Half DMs
>Incapable of running a full table by themselves
>Probably due to some self diagnosed anxiety disorder
>These are the people that post here

I think your DM will hate your guts (don't forget to go halfling).

Does Jack of all trades give you proficiency in all tools?

No?

Then it doesn't kinda mean that you are proficient. It just plain old doesn't mean you are proficient.

>Implying
I've run tables by myself before just fine. I co-DM now with a good buddy of mine because it's fun.

I don't know why you quoted me, I was only recounting that I've played in groups where two other people were both sharing DM duties, as was at least one of the other people you quoted. Nobody that you quoted even breathed a word related to "anxiety," self-diagnosed or otherwise. Pic heavily related.

So being able to use it as good as an expert doesn't mean I am proficient with it huh? Good thing 1 level Mystic dip exist then.

A DM is a DM, you can't say it's just a half.