EDH/Commander general

No Question, No Last Thread, No Edition.... Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monoblack-and-fabulous/
edhrec.com/commanders/ramirez-depietro
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-01-17-rules-of-nature/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do you guys balance what lands you put in three color decks? I'm having a rough time with a deck I'm building now.

I put it on tappedout then I look at the pie wedges and mess with them until it is right.
Dont use shitty ETB tapped lands.
Having basics isn't a bad thing.

you lazy fuck

anyway, we had a good thing going last thread, keep posting 'em. here's the template, dont be lazy.

Are there any fun mono black commanders that don't cost an arm and a leg to make?

I keep trying to find one, but all the shells are expensive as hell

Someone recommend me a black deck so I can use my vampiric tutor rather than having it sit in a box. I currently play and enchantment and storm deck, so I was thinking maybe doomsday zur, or maybe something silly like gonti.

Am I too Spikey for EDH?

I don't think of myself as "that guy," but I don't think anyone does, really. I don't even really particularly think of myself as obsessed with victory, or going hardcore for wins constantly. I like a good challenge. I like building decks. I like seeing broken interactions go off. I'm a control player and really enjoy playing blue. I like solving the problems other players create.

I started playing magic in 2014 just before fate reforged. I cut my teeth on videos from TCC as I learned how to play the game in part from the friends I play commander with now.

Finding Standard boorish and too expensive I turned to modern. Finding myself lacking the amount of money to invest for much more than a Mono U Tron deck that I still love to play to death and lacking much of a playgroup in my current group of friends and hearing horror stories about the local cardshop, I turned to Commander.

This all started when I built my first commander deck, Daretti. Built is the wrong turn because all I really did was buy the precon, do some modifications over time and go. I built in Karn and Mycosynth lattice as a win condition.

And then my playgroup got batshit scared of it.

So I built Meren, more lovingly crafting and tuning the deck as something that would take on the whole table and make them team up against me. It's not even really done and I don't even play it at full strength most of the time.

And then my playgroup got batshit scared of it and it turned into me trying to play as hardcore as possible and winning before the game really started or dialing back and getting stomped.

So then, finally, I turned to you lovely folks of tg for advice for a new deck that I could build on the cheap. I eventually decided on Zur, the Enchanter.

cont.

Repostan before going to bed.

Good night, /edhg/, I'll always love you

Why I didn't think this would be a problem sooner, I'm not sure. What possessed me to design a deck for a tutor on a stick commander, even on a tight budget, and think it was going to end in anything but pain?

After a rushed three day design that involved a lot of cross referencing, examining combos and ideas, and thinking I had a grip on how well my playgroup would respond (in game) to the deck and it's synergies . . .

It's possibly even more problematic than Meren.

I'm totally frustrated now. I don't know if EDH is even the right format for me to be playing considering I can't even apparently build what I think is a low power deck.

Am I too much of a spike?

Am I legacy player lacking the meaning to play it, and so turning to modern, lacking the means to play modern and so playing EDH?

I just don't know how to handle this anymore because just trying to play a janky deck doesn't really appeal to me. I don't want to start some crazy arms race in my group (partially because at least one person is both a sore loser and a sore winner SOMEHOW). I don't want to just abandon this group because they're the reason I play magic and they're my friends.

I love Magic. I like playing Magic. I think I love just about every part of the game from looking at card interactions, to playing them and setting them off, to deck design, and improving all those things. I love the opportunities EDH affords for deckbuilding. I think it creates interesting challenges and creates interesting play environments. I love the fact that some cards that could other be useless could be totally broken and visa versa.

I just don't know what I'm doing anymore with any of this.

>daretti, one of the strongest artifact commanders there is
>meren, the "I don't care what youre doing, I'm going off and there's nothing you can do about it" commander
>ducking Zur, THE most broken commander there is

Try picking a theme and a budget and rolling with it. EDH isn't for you if you can't handle not playing the best cards possible every deck. It's supposed to be about doing silly shenanigans while drinking beer with friends.

>Repostan before going to bed.
Thats a good idea, I just realized its almost 2am

For a budget start, get the 2014 black precon deck.

Then replace the commander as Chainer or Sheoldred. Build from there.

Shockingly youre story is very similair to mine. When my group of mates picked up mtg I was the main guy who researched interesting combos and ways to control the game and I would always either get ignored and win the game or be ganged up on by the rest of the table.

My way around this aws to play a more pillow-fort style of control. Basically focus on stopping the group from attacking you and use political cards to incentivize attacks against other opponents.

Hope this helps, and if you can find an lgs and start playing there to sate your competitive side.

basics enter the battlefield untapped and provide colored mana. people seem to forget this for some reason.

Marrow-Gnawer rat tribal

If I have this thing going where I'm depending on a land, should I have more than Restore?

What the fuck are you talking about?

Nah you're fine. Neither Meren or Daretti are Tier 1 or even close.

Zur can be Tier 1 but if you're casting him at all you're probably not as tuned as you think you are.

There's quite a few T1 options out there and T2 decks are where I usually play with my metas. They're fun and powerful, can combo out of nowhere, but aren't the most optimal all the time.

I do have a T1 deck though that nobody expects. Shits on all the people who still think Tasigur or Jarad are good, and surprises that Zur player who insists that the only way to win is DD+Labman.

The land? Nykthos, people got Strip Mines

In general, you retard, if your entire game depends on one specific land to win build a new deck.

If you are playing a commander that cares about lands like Angry Omnath and such then I am sure you would want ways to recur your lands.

I keep a Crucible of Worlds in Jhoira because suspending it behind MLD really rubs salt in the wound.

A major influence of the creature choice is their devotion for an outpouring of Mana yes, this land is the fulcrum

I wouldnt run more than one or two of that unless it can get you value off other stuff like eternal witness , grab any card not just lands. only other notable is splendid reclamation i guess.

basically just do regrowth effects instead

for

Damn Crucible is sweet
Imma bounce mnemonic wall for it a few times to take from other graves too

Meant flicker for the raging autist

Also have Fated Infatuation to get back too

Good wincons for EDH Enchantress? I already have a Voltron deck, don't really think I need two.

The gradient between blue and orange
David Bowie

Most enchantress decks tend to go Voltron by the end of it anyways.
If you want just enchantments, look at shit like Eldrazi Conscription and Celestial Mantle.

Rip + helm of obedience can be a game ender I'd you have a way to abuse it (I play derevi). Based on pic related being your commander I don't know of many others, but I do know that solitary confinement is a great card in enchantress

This smug fucker

>9 fetchlands
>9 basics
>3 duals
>3 shocklands
>3 checklands
>3 filterlands
>6-10 among Command Tower, the revelant tri-land, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Strip Mine, Wasteland, Tectonic Edge, Ghost Quarter, Dust Bowl, Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth, Gaea's Cradle, Academy Ruins, Kher Keep or Flagstones.

If youd don't have duals run fastlands if combo/aggro/tempo or manlands if control/ramp/durdlefest.

It's Tromokratis and friends but I still want green white splash

Yes, please do as this guy says

I wouls play painlands over either fastlands or manlands. I also don't really like filters but that's just preference. I would also include city of brass and mana confluence instantly unless you're doing some shit like high tide.

Just buy Mikaeus, Triskellion, Entomb, Reanimate, Buried Alive, Living Death, Wake the Dead, Victimize, Reassembling Skeleton, Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
You can fill out the rest of the deck with literally all Swamps and still win from time to time.

The only good one i've seen so far.

So many options user.

>Heliod + Glare of Subdual
>Opalescence/Starfield beats
>Parallax Wave shenenigans
>Helm + Rest in Peace
>Words of Wilding
>Prison
>Voltron

For those who think Narset is too strong,

play Ruric Thar

I once played Gisa in a table with two Ruric and a Narset.
Narset conceded immediately after having his armageddon shenanigans thoughtseized, and I ended up turtling under my exponentlially growing army of zombies as both gruuldroolers decked themselves.

Sounds right, you should probably avoid playing red also because its a weak color.

To be fair, Ruric is mediocre against creature based strats. But what can I say? not gruul then die?

Anyone willing to help a brother out? Need to remove 18 cards from this list and I don't know what to cut. I would normally do it myself but I'm a bit burn out due to a few things and thus would like an outside opinion. Recommendations would also be nice, so long as they don't cost more than 30-40 dollars, on a bit of a budget. Please none of you say Vampiric Tutor. Anyway, decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monoblack-and-fabulous/

Played mimeoplasm, excpected to copy/reanim huge Guys, ended being very sensitive to counterspells and gravehate, stopped and built leovold instead

>What i got
That's true for literally every monoB deck though, you always end up playing all the mana doublers and sweet black ramp spells you can

Cut:
Arch fiend
Bloodghast
Demon of dark schemes
Nether traitor
Beacon of unrest
Damnation

Add:
Sengir autocrat
Abhorrent overlord
Endrek sahr
Ghoulcaller gisa
Carrion
Delraich
Demon of deaths gate
Death cloud
Smokestack
Pox
Smallpox
Descent into madness

I think you need to focus more on tokens and grave pact effects.

The way I play him is glassjaw one shot KO self mill.

Generally every game by turn 5 I have a 16/16 flying shroud mimeo or a 12/12 unblockable infect

The deck asks questions and demands quick answers from its opponents. Very fun to pilot and control, but due to its nature can be insanely fragile. I love it.

Same but lot of UX/G/UG on my meta

edhrec.com/commanders/ramirez-depietro

Make this commander. It's silly, fun, and should be cheap. Just fill it with anything vaguely nautical. Make your wincon commander damage or something artifact based to represent his "treasure trove" If you builf a spike deck out of this then there is no hope fore you.

Same, duder.

Can someone explain slobad wincons other than the dragon that hoards artifacts?

How do these decks win?

>Wurmcoil/Lodestone/Steel Hellkite made indestructible with Slobad+Jokulhaups/Obliterate/Decree/Boom/Bust
>Smokestack+Crucible
>Daretti+LMD
>Tange Wire+Winter Orb

there's basically 2 ways to build yahenni in my opinion. there's token stax like this user said () and then there's a more typical creature-hating-and-reanimating-goodstuffy build that i've already tested to be functional on xmage.

yahenni isn't really a token synergy commander either in my opinion. he only needs to sac maybe once a turn, if that, and you don't need to commit to a token theme just because of that. reanimator builds are very resilient to hate (even GY hate) and typically more fun.

token synergies are pretty weak in monoblack anyway. most of the token generators in mononlack are total shit and the actual synergies are either really, really bad (zulaport) or something staxy. even stax isn't even that good, i think smokestack and descent into madness are way too slow. i think the best case scenario casting something like Death Cloud while you have a ton of bullshit tokens on board, but that's a bit of a magical christmasland scenario. rest of the time, stax is just going to make people hate you in game and also irl. but to be fair, i haven't actually tested stax that much in monoblack so i could be talking out of my ass.

it's true grave pact requires stuff to sac, but usually just saccing your idle ETB creatures like gray merchants and rune-scarred demons is enough if there is really something worth removing.

continuing with my suggested cuts and adds for a reanimator build

I hate to say this but, have you ever played with black? Because you're cuts are bad and you additions are worse. Thanks for trying to help but I'm not sure what you're going for here. Cut Nether Traitor and Bloodghast, both creatures that can recur themselves though out the entire game? Demon of Dark Schemes is another Massacre Wurm and Damnation? Really? I was sort of with you on stuff to add until Delraich. Delraichand Demon of Death's Gate are both sac outlets, which is OK, but it only works for casting them, also, they have no utility for anything except being beaters, which I can't stand. I don't like any of the Poxes, mostly because they're one time effects that are also, they're semectrical, which I can't stand. Descent into Madness...no. Just no.

Again, thank you, I really do appreciate it, but what I envision the deck to be and what you recommend don't mesh.

Hey I understand, I'm looking at it like my endrek deck, no offense taken, hope you got something out of my suggestions at least!

A few things, thanks for trying at any rate.

take out:
>zulaport cutthroat
this creature is just utter trash outside of infinite combo.
>Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
doesn't really do anything in your deck
>Bloodsoaked Champion
kinda goofy. i don't think he's worth it

>Fireshrieker
>Dauthi Embrace
>Lashwrithe
>Nightmare Lash
>Sword of Vengeance
>Trailblazer's Boots
i don't think these things are worth it. your strength in monoblack lies in your ability to kill literally everything on board and reanimate your shit for pennies. why bother giving your guy unblockable, trample or double strike when you can just smash the entire board to smitheroons with a necromantic selection and then smack some kid for 30 damage from all the dead creatures?

>Mutilate
it will smash your yahenni even whe's indestructible. replace with crux of fate.

>No Mercy
no one will be attacking you if you're playing your deck right and killing everything relevant. either replace with a board wipe or draw (to thin your deck)

>Phyrexian Reclamation
too low value. replace with strands of night.

here's my deck that you can look at for ideas, but i should say that it's not optimized for maximum power. it runs a bunch of "fun but not that great" cards like grave betrayal, black market, blood artist and coffin queen because i have nowhere else to put them and because this is supposed to be a "have fun" kind of deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-01-17-rules-of-nature/

oh, noticed a couple more cards i don't really like with yahenni

>overseer of the damned
costs a billion mana and has a lackluster effect. he's fun but i don't know if he's worth it.

>sheoldred
kinda slow. she just never works out for me, gets removed before my upkeep

>Ogre Slumlord
kind of high mana cost for his purpose. your rats won't do much. i'd cut this for a good etb creature

Thank you for your help! Took alot of your suggestions and made a few cuts. Only 11 more cards.to go! Also, part of the reason I didn't have more reanimation stuff in the deck is because Reanimator has died a cold, harsh death in my playgroup. Even though EVERYONE plays black in my playgroup, they all mainboard, as a rule, Bojuka Bog, Tormod's Crypt, and Relic of Progenitus. It fucking sucks. That being said, even if I can't run the fun stuff, I don't really need to worry about anyone's graveyard except my own, which is fine.

Asked my friend to draw a new picture for my Lord of Tresserhorn deck. Looks pretty good for something he does in his freetime

his pose is a bit weird but that's pretty good

Looks good, but familar.

Supposed to look like this:

But i like the nekusar look.

Hey there isn't anything wrong with it, I like it over the original art.

looks alright but i think it should look more decrepified and less plastic, kinda like the original

Self-respecting playgroups ban each general that originated in a Commander supplement.

So I want to build a "heavy play" tribal deck

Which commander would for fit this the best

Only the ones from 2013.

OP you're a lazy fuck and you should refrain from making new threads.

You play a Giant TribaKidding, don't do it. Scion of the Ur-Dragon Dragon Tribal enables big plays by one shotting people with a Dragon Tyrant as well as having a healthy toolbox to play with.

Bow of Nylea is tech in that deck.

This is from the EDH reddit

Ayyy time to repost my favorite artifact goblin

>gray merchant etb drains 45 life on turn 7
>cauldron of souls, do it again

well ok

When I said "heavy play" tribal, I meant I want to buy every card in the deck damaged or heavily played

You should get in touch with the HP+++ Platinum Angel user.

wanna buy my rune scarred demon? 15 bucks

How does this even happen? I get a crease or two, or even some chipped edges, but this is just horrific.

He probably did it on purpose so it looks "scarred".

Crease your cards down the center for easier riffle shuffling.

you think they will ever reprint doubling season?

i got it by ordering a "played" card on from a friendly german powerseller on magic card market. i sent him a message and he begrudgingly refunded me half the card's value and still argued that it was "played" condition in his opinion

Yup, right after it gets banned, as it should have been almost a year ago.

I'll give you 3
I actually kinda like the look

You could have forced a full refund honestly, the website has a guide to what's considered damaged, this definitely is.

i probably should have, but i just wanted to be done with the sale at the time so i accepted the half refund

what are some good basic lands (as in card art) to go into a
trostani deck?

>that fucking file name
Solid advice I wish I listened to. It's bad when the cockshaped mushrooms are the most PG thing in the search.

I wana build a vampire tribal Old olivia deck what are some must have vamps (full deck suggestions welcome to)

The absolute must haves:
-Bloodline keeper
-Stromkirk captain
-Kalitas, traitor of ghet.
-Captivating vampire (for his sole lord effect, his activated ability is just the cherry on top)
-Bloodlord of vaasgoth
-Vampire Nocturnus
-Nirkana revenant
-Malakir Bloodwitch (some people will tell you this card is bad, its not. It can make you gain a ton of life, which you will need if you run cards like necropotence)
-Butcher of Malakir
-Blood artist (things are always dying in edh, why not ping somebody and gain some life while it happens)

Now for some non-creature recommendations:

-Torpor orb: most vampires dont have ETB's so why not hose decks that do.
-Bloodchief ascension: your opponents can even activate this card for you without knowing it, but you will be the one reaping its benefits. It can draw lots of hate, so be careful.
-Necropotence: One of the best cards in the format. Just run this card.
-blade of the bloodchief: not a fan of equipments in general, but this one is cheap and ir has some crazy synergy.
-chandra's ignition: this one may come as a surprise, but vampires can get pretty huge with +1/+1 counters. A big vampire detonated at the right moment can swing the game in your favor.
-basilisk collar: just amazing with Olivia or with any flying creature

Not that I really care, but why couldnt this be one post?