Add to a rapier

Im going to be an engineer for a (Not)Steampunk setting who's using a rapier as their main weapon, I'm trying to think of what i can add on to it to make it better.

Other than giving it an electric current i can't think of anything

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jETLCm7k3sU
youtube.com/watch?v=BMvpmGb0Fcs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A mirror sheen that lets you see behind you

>he doesn`t put thrusters on a thrusting weapon
the nerve

Slap a small gun on that bitch. And give it some sick tassels on the end of the pommel.

that sounds ridiculous, and beautiful to rationalize to your GM

You could add 2 small flintlock pistols to the gun.

>>Gyroscopic pommel that helps balance the weapon better making strikes more accurate
>>Ignition piston that adds more punch upon striking subject
>>Pistol lined up with the blade for small caliber surprises

No.

Use gun. And if that don't work: more gun

Make blades expendable and explosive. Stab, detonate, fit new one.

You can also make it work as an electrode for arc welding/cutting.

Telescoping blade, so you can choose from among anything from a smallsword to an extra-long rapier as the situation dictates.

Add a way for it to sweat or eject oil for a flaming sword that can also be a flamethrower.

hope by that you mean it`s amazing

Ripcord on the basket hilt. Pulling causes the blade to rotate rapidly into a drill.

Hidden dagger.

The ability to launch the blade for surprise attacks.

You have options.

Option one has been mentioned and is predictable in the form of a pistol. Boring.

Option 2 is a variation of , but better.

Instead of a hidden dagger, you hide another sword in your sheath. The cased rapiers are flat to eachother and fit in one sheath.

Option three is much more in the realm of an artificer/engineer: Your sword is a fine timepiece, as well as a weapon.

At option 4, we start into the exotic options.

Using a reinforced locking sheath, your hilt becomes a warhammer.

option 5: Need to extract information or wow a kinky lady? The pear-of-agony pommel is your bet!

And though there are many more options we'll end with option 6: The extending rapier (1/2)...

Would tassels on the pommel make the pommel an ineffective weapon?

I lied, last one: Option 7, also making use of a reinforced sheath, combo linstock (a long rod with a burning slowmatch for firing cannon) and musket rest rapier. An engineer shouldn't be in close quarters anyway.

GunSheath?

it would making "Ending him rightly" more showy

I'm a big fan of giving it extra stabbing power via technology. Maybe it hooks into a steam generator backpack, and then at the push of a button it channels steam pressure through the tube and out the bottom, lending extra speed to your thrust.

Trigger activated pilebunker type thing.

You stab it in someone and pull the trigger and it either extends further or maybe have thorn type mini blades extend along the blade. Either spring loaded or explosive cartridge for extra rule of cool.

I meant as a blunt melee weapon.

Your comment is making me think of possible "End him rightly" modifications.

Maybe a whistle that makes a noise when it goes through the air at sufficient speed (said speed threshold would have to be slower than what would be accomplished when the player throws it vigorously) or steam emitter to make it a better distraction.

Quick detach pommel, that is also a grenade. You pull the tassel once it's been detached, use it as a sling, bonk 'im in the head, then it explodes.

Make sure the tassel can only be pulled once the pommel has detached.

Then you end him rightly.

Two words: piston rapier.

End him rightly?

Holy shit, that's Bloodborne as fuck

>Vibrates for a saw-like motion
>Vibrates for a jackhammer like motion
>Superheats
>Supercools
>Emits plasma energy from the tip for enhanced cutting power
>As above but without licensing issues from Capcom
>Edge is coated in solidified poison
>As above but without licensing issue from LucasArts
>Emits compressed air from the tip to increase damage to flesh

Came to post this.

>Edge is coated in salt; you have a backup sword coated in pepper

What is the stuff that looks like butterfly antenna supposed to do?

Same as

Has End Him Rightly mutated into killing someone from throwing a pommel at him, and that's it? Because the original joke said that the pommel is a distraction, and while the victim is distracted, you close the distance and kill him.

I don't know what that does either. It looks like it's a pommel or something, but it's weird shape makes me think it does something other than help the user hold onto the hilt (or provides a function that helps the user hold onto the hilt in a weird way).

Steam jets for extra thrust when stabbing.

The post literally says "musket rest rapier". Come on, user.

>extra thrust when stabbing.
No no no, you want extra SPIN a split-second after stabbing, to make sure your enemy bleeds to death!

You're right. I'm an idiot.

If I use it as a war hammer, do I just murder stroke? Or do I have the blade sheathed or something.

Cheathing in the middle of combat is stupid. And rapiers are not even particularly sharp.

>Sheathing
Sorry.

The blade is hollow, and you have a mechanism to drip oil onto the blade and then ignite it.

How about making the blade detachable and shootable via steampower? Like you have a steam pack and you used it to build pressure in the grip of the sword. When you press the trigger the blade shoots off in the direction you are pointing. you could have a quiver with extra blades built into your sheath

[citation needed]

Steampunk

... steam, make it shoot steam.

youtube.com/watch?v=jETLCm7k3sU

Put a gear system on the swords leading edge, just above the guard. Something to catch and automatically snap any other blades that end up running down it.

Add a zweihander.

Depends on the system and setting
Whatcha doing OP?

A trout

Two Rapiers.

I'm pretty sure "the original joke" said no such thing, and the idea about it being a distraction was just Skallagrim trying to rationalize it.

...actually, that could be a plausible weapon in some settings.

Remember that salt is often a symbol of purity for some cultures so in some settings salt can be used to repel ghosts and such.

Meanwhile, pepper is an irritant and getting stabbed by a blade coated with pepper is going to hurt like hell and keep hurting like hell for a while.

Include a barbed spike along the edge, so a successful stab severely hobbles the opponent.

Alternatively, make it a doubled blade that tapers to a very close point. While your engineer probably would pretend it's a shocking weapon, the actual goal is to produce an arc with inlayed carbon to compromise thin armor elements with intense heat, as well as inflict nasty burns.

You sheath it. I clearly mentioned the locking reinforced sheath.

>Sheathing in the middle of combat is stupid.
..Unless you absolutely need a weapon that would be effective against armour, and its an option you have

>And rapiers are not even particularly sharp.
Whut. The last third to quarter of a rapier is sharper than most war swords. They are were the "razor sharp sword" exaggeration comes from.

See

As delightful as that is, practically speaking, you're better off just throwing a grenade from your belt or something. Pommels are useful for counterbalance and difficult to detatch. I guess stealth grenading is the idea here, but may as well disuise it as a gaudy belt buckle or jacket button or something if its steam punk.

Make it a drill, and have a motor in the hilt to make it spin when engaged.

So dumb.

...but so awesome.

Is there anything you can't improve by adding rotation on one of it's axis?

Canoes

HA!

Canisters of cold compressed gas, most probably nitrogen or carbondioxide, loaded into the hand guard. You either rig a trigger to pull manually or a pressure sensitive apparatus to tell when the blade lands a hit on a solid target, and it releases the gas, jetting the sword forward with extra momentum. It's not like it'd be jet fuel propelled, but it'd turn a bare minimum penetration into a deep one on the spot, or if manually triggered could provide the extra boost to get the jump over the opponent's reflexes to dodge or parry effectively. Only downside is you'd sorta gas yourself like taking a short fire extinguisher blast to the arm, chest, and/or face.

If I were to make a modern rapier, I'd do two major things.

1. Make the blade a thin tube with a hypodermic needle-like end. Essentially a piece of thin metal tubing sliced at an angle and sharpened to a point.

2. Build the handle in such a way that I can insert a canister of whatever I want and trigger its release via a button on the handle.

This way I can stab someone and then pump a huge blast of compressed air into them. Or compressed chlorine gas.

Flourine Tri-Chloride.

I don't want to be on fire user.

>not piercing THE HEAVENS with your canoe

Have you ever played DEAD ISLAND, you should play DEAD ISLAND!

How about nothing you massive faggot?

Sometimes a sword can just be a fucking a sword in a steam punk setting.

Put a retractable garrote in the hilt. Possibly even make it a removable bobble. Something for when you are too close for thrusting.

oh hey i found the salty neckbeard. hows it feel to have a tiny penis? using faggot because your insecure?

have fun with that, were all gonna go play with our dual rocket propelled drill swords because we know what fun is

What the fuck is End Him Rightly anyway? I know it involves throwing your pommel at the enemy but I don't understand how that's supposed to "end" him, much less rightly.

A German dueling manual had a page that said something along the lines of "if you wish to end your opponent rightly, unscrew your pommel and throw it swiftly at him." I've seen it theorized that it was a way to discourage people from just reading the book without taking the accompanying class, where it would be explained as bullshit, or a way of surprising your opponent, or as a rules as written way of being able to keep all of your weapons in a judicial duel, where it's typically required that both combatants throw (a weapon) at each other, then close to melee range. This is why you see a lot of references to thrown swords in fencing manuals; less experienced fighters would generally prefer to throw the sword and keep the longer reach of the spear. If you were to throw just the (fake) pommel, you could use the spear and still keep the sword as a backup.

Anyone got any other ideas for weapon enhancements? I'm currently writing an RPG where weapon enhancements are a key part of melee combat and I need some ideas.
I personally don't care what weapons they're for, and since it's a sci-fi setting how they work doesn't need to make sense either.

A pressurized gas canister in the hilt can violently expel gas through small ports in the blade. When you stab a target, you can release the gas, causing embolisms or even meatsplosions.

That is absolutely stolen. My players aren't going to like the fuckface with the fire extinguisher sword, not at all.

Any weapon that can change damage types is pretty much worth taking due to sheer utilitarian value. Maybe I'm an obsessive powergamer, but I try to always have one of each type of damage on a character. This lets you bundle it all up into one weapon.

>trying to push the sword forward with compressed gas.
You're doing it wrong. Fashion the rapier blade into a giant needle and send the gas into the person that you stab for massive internal trauma. It's basically a giant wasp knife.

youtube.com/watch?v=BMvpmGb0Fcs

Meant to say that had the right idea.

Alright, these are some of the most brilliant minds here yes even

I challenge you... Make this rapier FOR A THIEF

Wrong

The hand guard contains a small chemical charge that creates a bright flash when ignited.

pulling a trigger on the hilt hits a percusion cap that ignites the charge, allowing you to blind your opponent so you can make a quick getaway.

>Make this rapier FOR A THIEF
Telescoping poison coated rapier with a set of lockpicking tools hidden in a booby trapped pommel.
Triggering the booby trap will cause the sword to explode with enough force to severe a hand and spray the idiot with poison shrapnel.

A button is on the handle that when pressed causes a robotic hand stretch out from inside of the hand guard and grab onto something before pulling back into the hand guard.

I said the original joke was a distraction.

Blade fires off the hilt with enough force to pierce wood, has serrated segments to help hold it in place and trails a small steel cable after it. Grappling hook/rope arrow in a sword.

I guess you could also just shoot-stab someone with it if your character is the kind of boring person who wouldn't shoot it into the rafters and swing kick their enemy in the face.

I was actually looking at not but accidentally didn't make it clear which post I was referring to. Considered that reinforce locking sheaths are a thing, I'll assume works the same way. But I'll probably believe someone if they tell me otherwise.

>guess you could also just shoot-stab someone with it if your character is the kind of boring person who wouldn't shoot it into the rafters and swing kick their enemy in the face.

>Not putting a large chemical battery on the side and making it a big ass taser

Get_a_load_of_this_guy.jpeg

God I'm an idiot. The last link is supposed to go to

High-powern solenoid on the sheath that heats the blade when you draw it.

Personally I think the idea of explosive blades that get left in the wound are great.

Have a sheathe filled with replacements for ease of reloading.

Perhaps the sword is cored with a low yield explosive that is detonated via electric charge? As you withdraw the grip it sparks and sets the ignition process.

Be better if you could eject the pepper-salt into their eyes.