But GM, rockets and machine guns exist in your setting all the monsters in the world should be dead!

>But GM, rockets and machine guns exist in your setting all the monsters in the world should be dead!

People actually think this. It really wants me to stop GMing sometimes honestly.

The solution is simple.
Give all of the monsters guns too.

Well, would the monsters be killed by usual rockets or machine guns? Monsters are magical and could easily shrug off such blows.

>im a shitty GM who cant explain what the supernatural in my setting can and cant do
Feel free to stop being a GM. You's be doing the world a favor.

If your monsters can be killed by skilled individuals with swords then they can easily be killed by randoms with rifles.

inb4 you dismiss my totally correct reply because of the spelling error

What if it has to be particular magic swords, like Shadow of the Colossus or Rance?

Ha!

Really the easiest explanation is that the giant size of dragons reduces the damage of guns for obvious reasons and that the army isn't going to hunt down every dragon in existence.

Is love you to explain everything in the Star Wars universe.

Then you'd need randoms with particular magic rifles.

I can't stand that shit, I mean it's easy to explain it you could do it a thousand ways with the simplest being to tell them to "shut up that's just how shit works faggot"
The fact that they can't suspend disbelief and just roll with it kills me, motherfucker you where fine with a lizard the size of a duplex flying and breathing fire but this is where I lose you

Could a creature realistically have a thick enough hide to prove significantly resistant to modern guns, assuming size limitations like diet and square-cube arent a problem?

if the hide is made of some kind of naturally existing graphene armor an layered several milimeters thick, with substantial hard bony plates to provide rigidity, then you it would deflect machine gun fire quite well

Probably but you also have to consider that these things are huge anyway and a regular rifle bullet isn't going to do that much. Of course you could also explain it under the Godzilla rule.

Could gunfire-breathing dragons be a thing in such a setting?

It appears your setting seems inconsistent and you're blaming players. You're probably a shit DM and should kys.

I don't see why not.

if all your monsters are godzilla-esque we shouldnt have a problem

mosnters who exist to remind us that for all of our guns and missiles, we are still only specks beholden to nature are probably the theme you want

Godzilla is absolute shit and everybody who likes it is a mouthbreathing aspie. It's litrally on the same level of retardation as pony-faggotry.

My main issue is really that they seem to think that a gun is a fucking death ray. Plus it's that sort of shit were I've found massive inconsistencies in Star Wars, 40k, etc. but I never say anything and suddenly something I made is under scrutiny when we've played in stupider settings than this.

I wonder who's behind this post

You're probably on the wrong website mate.

Hold up. We know absolutely nothing about OP's setting other than two facts.
1) There's monsters, presumably dragons and that kinda stuff
2) There's self propelled rockets and fully automatic firearms

Where's the inconsistency you cuck, tell me.

Well this is the saddest post I've seen all night.

Here's the (You) (You) wanted, little boy.

There are some Tank shells and Missiles that might penetrate any kind of natural armor. But think about how resilient the human body is to being shot. These gigantic monsters would easily shrug off AP shells even if they penetrate. While retaliating with their fire breath/claws/tail/whatever.

shut up ghidorah, i thought they banned you

With that kind of thinking you could have it to where rifle bullets and shotgun pellets would bounce off unless you're really great at aiming.

How about different kinds of gunfire dragons?

You have your standard, a dragon that breaths a shitton of bullets

but also, say, a two headed dragon that fires solid walls of munitions

or a long necked, eagle eyed dragon that can spot prey from miles and miles away, then suddenly fires a bullet the size of a small house. not to eat it, but for sport.

> >But GM, rockets and machine guns exist in your setting all the monsters in the world should be dead!
What is Delta Green?
What is Unknown Armies?

Sometimes, the scariest monster isn't the one that can eat you or tear your head off.

I'm just imagining this metal dragon with a Gatling gun popping out of it's mouth.

what if it just eats the bullets?

thats some "enter the gungeon" tier dragons right there

they are awesome

Nah. The monster eats your dreams, hopes and turn you into a lifeless husk, a shadow of former self.
The monster is called society.

>My main issue is really that they seem to think that a gun is a fucking death ray
It pretty much is, against humanoids, because that's what we've been fighting for the last 500 years of firearm-history. If kaijus existed, every city would have armor piercing or shock guns and any monster posing a significant threat to mankind above the size of mosquitos would have gone the way of the dodo. There's a reason why there are no wolves around anymore.

>My main issue is really that they seem to think that a gun is a fucking death ray
Because you're an aspie. These settings have perfectly in-universe-logic explanations for their stuff.

Kaijus are cancerous and their fans are manchildren like tranformers fans, all style over substance.

If mankind has actually faced these creatures overr their history they would have used the technology they possess to develop countermeasures. Assuming he gives those monsters absurd dermal armor to withstand direct impacts of explosives, there would be armor--piercers akin to bunker busters to pierce said armor. If they were super nimble, people would have developed high-firing-rate fast-tracking cannons in fortified positions.

It all stems from that retarded attempt to have a natural creature "be viable" against technological advancement when the latter happens at billions of times the speed of biological evolution. If you have a race with technology, you need a VERY VERY good reasoning why it hass not wiped out all it's natural threats already.

>Plus it's that sort of shit were I've found massive inconsistencies in Star Wars, 40k, etc
Because you're an aspie. These settings have perfectly in-universe-logical explanations for their stuff.

>Perfectly logical
>Star Wars
Pick one.

>There's a reason why there are no wolves around anymore.
wat

I think he's talking about first-world countries.

>I apply our universes logic to Star Wars
>My brain has developed beyond the equivalent of an 4 year old
Pick one

They are about 3000 years too late, really. We had pretty much killed the land-based megafauna by that point.

That's not even true in first world countries though.

The problem is that roleplay is not traditional fantasy, it's more like science fiction.

Fantasy is about the exploration of the art of story telling, not so much the exploration of the world of the movie.

Science fiction is, generally, about the implications of a certain technology or era or way of life and exploring the social and philosophical consequences of that.

When you gamify a sword and sorcery setting you've already put the participants in the mindset of deconstruction and world exploration. Nobody really plays RPG's to push the limits of the hero's arc or some shit.

SO when the world has inconsistencies it irritates the players because it is the focus of the game, not the narrative elements.

There's a level of assmad I haven't seen in a while. You sure you don't have some autism buddy?

Having read the posts in this thread I have found that I can still be surprised by the sheer level of autism the average Veeky Forums poster exhibits

>All possible monsters are "natural creatures", incapable of intelligence or adapting

Also

>Technology is my precious waifu! No stinking monster or magic can touch her! She teleports behind the monsters because she moves at billions of times the speed of your pathetic beasts!
Dude. I agree that there has to be a sensible reconciliation between advanced technology and monsters that requires a very good explanation, but calm the fuck down.
Monsters can easily trump tech in any number of ways.

Isn't that pretty much what killong smaug in The Hobbit was about? Magic black arrow fired at a weakpoint by an expert bowman.

>When you gamify a sword and sorcery setting you've already put the participants in the mindset of deconstruction and world exploration and when the world has inconsistencies it irritates the players
Okay this is true and seemed to be your main point.
The rest of your post is shit.

I'm actually surprised by the sheer level of autism my posts on Veeky Forums exhibits.
Not in this thread so much, yet.
But I was genuinely asked if I had autism yesterday.

I think this guy might be from /k/

>muh realism
Whatever.

Honestly I can't say I really am.

So you're saying I misidentified his waifu?
It's really his precious guns?

Damn. It fits better.
I think you might be right.

You will never feel anything since you don't even get to play tabletop outside of online, judging from your attitude.

Given the autistic level of detail he went into for bullets I'd say it makes the most sense.

Are you retarded and did you never even venture once into the countryside for the dozen of years you existed on earth?

Did everyone despise you so much on first contact that nobody, not even friendly villagers, even want to talk further to you?

Because if you can maintain a conversation without pissing everyone off with your delusions, you did realize wolves are still huge problems in both UK, Europe and America.

And then he pulls out the RPG

Faggots from /k/ who never play make believe come here to whine about their guns and full body armor all the time.

Such a great game.

I can only speak for Germany, but until recently, Wolves were wiped out here. Then we let them back in again from and there are a few now along the german/polish border

>tfw you beat the dragun but forgot to pick up the bullet to the past

how retarded can you be ?

I love the old cliche of cops/soldiers running into a monster and screaming "IT WONT DIE!!" while shooting wildly

Someone post that manga page of skeletons with RPGs ambushing a tank convoy. I can't find it.

All the rockets and machine guns are in bottom of god forsaken dungeons.

Besides they wouldn't help much anyway, 90% of the characters die to rats.

Nigga just look at real life. Fucking sharks and bigfeet and shit.

Last I checked monsters were still alive and terrifying because 99% of the population doesn't take their anti vehicle rifle to the fucking park with them.

Wait bigfoot?

I thought you said real life.

You realize that grizzly bears are generally able to shrug off one or two shots by small arms fire, and yet most North American, Russian, or Eastern European villages do not generally have a community machinegun to deal with bears, right?

And yes, wolves still exist and do kill people, you fucking retard.

>It all stems from that retarded attempt to have a natural creature "be viable" against technological advancement when the latter happens at billions of times the speed of biological evolution.

Generally speaking, monsters in fantasy are not the result of biological evolution.

Open your eyes. He's right over there. Fuck.

Don't forget that if these monsters have always existed then getting to the point of having machine guns at all is going to be a struggle for people. Then there are the logistics of monster hunting. What are you going to do, have an entire country's military walk shoulder to shoulder from coast to coast locking arms with the squad automatic weapon to their left and right?

Why wouldn't monsters just try to avoid that sort of thing, strike while people's guard was down. Stalk the weak, the isolated.

And if monsters haven't always existed, and are now just a thing ala shadowrun. Fuck op, all rules are off at that point to begin with.

>It pretty much is

A gun is not a death ray.

People survive being shot all the time. There are cases of people being absolutely riddled with bullets and managing to drag themselves to hospital.

I guess he meant "wolves are not a real threat present in most forests, but a somewhat endangered species now"

Wolves are also not:
Incorporeal
Fire breathing
Resistant or immune to most forms of physical harm
Able to use magic
Able to fly
Able to become invisible
Able to posses people
Made of literal lightning
Capable of swimming through solid rock
Capable of bending nature around themselves as if literal gods
Telepathic
Secretly witches
Covered in spikes
ETC

>Covered in spikes

I don't know why anything isn't this. Being covered in spikes is nature's answer to everything.

Why would you ever develop to not be covered in spikes?

To my knowledge there hasn't been any humans killed by wolves since 2011. Please inform me if I am wrong, but it seems people overestimate wolves alot.
I wouldn't mess around with bears though, they are natures fluffy tank, ignoring rhinos and elephants.

Well, memetic (including g technological) evolution can literally be billions times faster than natural.

So you have to do some fitting to implement kaiju (hard to defeat monsters) in a high-tech setting.
A) Kaiju are a recent thing, and humans still haven't adapted/developed weapons to fight them. If we manage to hold them back for long enough.
B) Kaijus are more like a natural disasters both in terms of sheer power and how often they attack. But I heard that Tsar Bomb managed to wound a dragon, so we can fight them in the future.
C) Kaiju breeding grounds are out of reach and they repopulate quickly (some magma worms I.e.)

Because it makes reproduction harder and it is a highly specialized defense from natures side. Or well, let's just admit it, it makes banging harder.

But in most situations kaiju show up halfway through human development. And if humanity were fighting kaiju throughout their development, they would not have developed. There's a reason that mammals didn't really become a big thing until after an extinction event killed off the dinosaurs. Either way, your arguments are kind of silly.

Explain again the natural evolution rate of dragons, vampires, fairy witches, and blink dogs?

If a gun isn't a death cannon you're not using a big enough gun. The gun is the ultimate form of the three basic caveman killing strategies: throw a rock at it, light it on fire, or poke it with something sharp.

I was gonna say this.
Porcupines must have a very vanilla sex life.

> Bears can hold a few pistol bullets
That's why you use hunting rifles to hunt bears. If it poses danger, it gets shot. End of the story.

That's (A) variant of Kaijus in high-tech setting: recently created by god/magician. Also, blink dogs are most likely to evolve from giant blink racoons (now extinct).

They're into watersports actually.

I don't think the native peoples of Wyoming have anything to fear from Godzilla. Just saying.

anyone in california though...
they can send their spears, their slings, their swords, but no weapon will help against godzilla

Actually, you'll also want the right ammo.

And even then, you want a solid, clean shot into the heart or lungs (or head, preferably, but whatever, not everyone is a great shot). Even when shot in the heart by a large caliber, it can take up to thirty seconds for a grizzly to actually realize it's dead. So make sure you actually hit something important or that's you done.

In addition to this:

The best way of dealing with bears is honestly to avoid them. Even if fully equipped to kill one, every time you meet an aggressive grizzly is a huge risk on your part, so just... don't put yourself in that position often.

Godzilla is more like a superhero than a monster.

He's basically Giant Lizard Wolverine.

depends, he is more like the hulk than wolverine, only to be brought out when having half the city wrecked is better than having it all wrecked

Ehh fuck 'em. Point is giant monsters interacting with a human population will not mean that population will cease to develop.

Giant monsters have their own territories like everything else, large territories mind you, but unless they fully overlap all of the land suitable for human habitation all the time, they aren't going to be a game ender.

So. There's a shitton ways to explain. From the field, which protects them against material objects flying into them on high velocity, to their regenerative powers. Or "its magic dude, if you will charm every single bullet, this shit could cost like a little country". Breeding in other world\depths of planetoid\on the moon\other dimension and shit. Dont be lazyass, try to explain it.

If you believe stories on Veeky Forums, a bear can shrug off bullets long enough to ruin your day, unless you hit it in just the right place. It may die afterward, but that won't unmaul you.

This is completely correct.

There are multiple places you can hit, but even if you hit them, a large bear will not drop instantly. Unless it's the head.

The myth that bullets can slide off their skulls is just that, though. It has basis in reality, as it used to happen when projectiles were much softer, but now a headshot is a deadshot.

If you believe in Japanese history, bears are mass murderers.

Because they are.

If your humans can be killed by skilled individuals with swords then they can easily be killed by randoms with rifles.
Why are there still humans if your setting?

I once wondered why bears, a mundane animal, have such a high CR in D&D.

Then I had to study bear anatomy for a course and I realized that bears are nature's supersoldiers.

I would ask why you know this, but I don't really want to know

David attenborough hooked me up. What were you expecting?

That's a good point. Humans are the most dangerous species to themselves, so if guns are plentiful then there's no good reason to have humans around.