D&D 5e vs Pathfinder

D&D 5e vs Pathfinder

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Characters.pdf
wesschneider.tumblr.com/post/93277599246/50-lgbtq-characters-in-the-pathfinder-rpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

More like 5th shitstain vs crapfinder

18 or older to post on this site.

Well, 5e is everyone's Second choice, but Pathfinder is everyone's Last Choice. So... 5e, easily.

Normies and Casuals >>>>>>>> Weaboo Degenerates.

5e is more balanced and encourages Roleplay. It's also the one that can be more easily ran with theater of the mind.

Also nicer Generals.

There's really no comparison.

It's also most people's first choice though.

>AD&D
Beer
>D&D3
Coke Original
>D&D3.5
Coke zero
>PF
Pepsi
>4E
Carbonated water
>5E
Coke light

This is the face of someone whose brain has been rotted by edition wars. They actually believe the second most popular RPG on planet Earth is played exclusively by degenerates on this website. They also believe that one brand of degenerate is worse than another.

Those two are the only systems I've ever played, and I enjoyed both thoroughly.

Yes, I know I'm a niggerfaggotcucknewfag. Can't help being born in '94 and only exposed to tg shit in college.

Anyway, I prefer 5e at this point because Pathfinder is pretty bloated with content and rules, while 5e is much more streamlined. Advantage/disadvantage is WORLDS better than the bookkeeping associated with the myriad modifiers of Pathfinder. The group I roll with almost always does medieval fantasy anyway so 5e's lack of distinct flavor doesn't bother us.

That said we're all a bunch of young bloods and newfags who are around my age, and even the most experienced among us hasn't broken a decade of rolling dice yet. We don't have the same tastes that a lot of fa/tg/uys have.

You mean it's a guy trying to perpetuate a myth.
No one honestly believes any of the edition war stuff, or if they do, they shouldn't have enough mental capacity to solve a captcha.

So, we've either got a guy with an agenda, or some guy who's getting help typing out his silly ideas.

>We don't have the same tastes that a lot of fa/tg/uys have.

Don't judge Veeky Forums by its worst members.

Absolutely not. I'd rather have a degenerate who can actually talk shop about a game's mechanics over a retard who will start throwing HURR ROLEPLAYING NOT ROLLPLAYING when people are trying to talk mechanics.

>Pathfinder fans
>people

good one

The clear winner is d&d basic, Holmes edition and it's clones. No question.

OP here, should've started a thread like this:
grew up playing games such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment (both based on AD&D 2e). Which is more similar to it, 5e or PF?

Pathfinder is crunchier, more reliant on a battle map, and has far more character options, probably 1/3rd of which are so niche as to be nearly useless and another 1/3rd of which are actual trap options.

5e is quicker, friendlier towards theatre-of-the-mind play, has far less character cusomization, but isn't at the point where it's groaning under the weight of its own supplements yet.

Both of them are adequate. 5e is certainly "friendlier". Personal opinion: I'm more inclined towards 5e.

Neither. The HP totals and bounded accuracy remove 5E from being anything like 2E and PF is directly descended from a game that can charitably be described as someone removing a ton of 'annoyances' from 2E while not understanding why they were there in the first place.

>Can't help being born in '94 and only exposed to tg shit in college.
So? Born in '93, exposed to RPGs late in high school.
There's nothing keeping you from reading and trying out other (more elegant and efficient) systems, except maybe sheer inertia from having started with PF. And that was not even an issue for me despite having started with 3.5.

You had the opportunity to make 4E "New Coke" and 5E "Coke Classic" and you missed it

But I like Pepsi. Does that mean I have to deal with PF's shitstain of a community?

Friendly reminder that this edition beats them both

I would tend to argue for B/X with AD&D XP rules (otherwise B/X characters take forever and a half to level up), but the xp-for-loot feedback loop makes TSR D&D a more focused game than any WOTC edition save 4e.

Fuck I've still got to try and get a copy of it. I used to have all the books but I went homeless for a while and lost all my shit, can't even find pdf's of it.

Pepsi is much like Pathfinder: it will always be second best to Coke, but some weirdos prefer it for some reason.

Coke tastes like sugary shit being shoved down my throat.

I do like Vanilla Coke though.

fixed

>OD&D
Beer
>B/X
Whiskey & Coke
>AD&D
Screwdriver
>D&D3
New Coke
>D&D3.5
Coke Zero
>PF
Thums Up
>4E
Mike's Hard Lemonade
>5E
Coke Classic

At least we can agree on that. Vanilla Coke is GOAT.

I'm just going to say this.

Kingdom Death. The game doesn't release until Black Friday, ten months from now. Nobody is playing it. All that thread is doing right now is comparing 1) detail of various models, and 2) The thickness of their waifus hips and who's the better waifu.

It's still better than /pfg/

Was that guy actually trying to cook a turkey and a octopus at the same time. I mean really?

Well, it's no worse than picking splats for 3.PF.

What's with all the hate on PF in this thread?

It's shit.

No actually i think that is a LOT worse! Unless you cook octopus really carefully you end up with what tastes and feels like a piece of rubber so it's wasted and the there is no way that turkey cooked properly with that much octopus in it, much less have a good taste with a octopus stewing in it, so that's also gone.
At least with splats you can say it sucks and stop playing and you can download it from the internet for free; that abomination is going cost at least a hundred dollars and just imagine the smell it must have!

I don't think it's meant seriously. The cooking temps and times for chicken and octopus are so wildly different you're either going to end up with raw chicken or a dried out husk of clay in the shape of an octopus.

Why would it cost a hundred dollars? Are octopussies that expensive?

That chicken looks at least partially cooked already
Also:
>Cutco scissors

i miss TSR

OP here again, I looked at a few pregen characters in D&D 5e since most of you hate PF so much.
Well I fucking hate the fact that all the weapons in pregens are so OP, I mean +2 and +3 on a first level character, really? The armor classes as well, how am I supposed to advance in this game when I start so ridiculously strong?
How is the rest of the game balanced if I decided to tone down the damage / AC?

media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Characters.pdf

>Well I fucking hate the fact that all the weapons in pregens are so OP, I mean +2 and +3 on a first level character, really?
What?
None of those characters have magical weapons. What are you talking about?

Did you mistake the fucking proficiency bonus for an enchantment?

>The armor classes as well
Nigga 5E uses bounded accuracy, meaningfully high AC is really fucking hard to achieve. A level 1 character can reach 18 AC but they're still going to get hit about 30% of the time even by kobolds and shit.

>reads 5e material as if it were PF
Classic.

I regret not having access to my reaction folder right now.

>1d12 + 3 slashing
>1d6 + 3 piercing
etc.
What does these "+" mean? As stated in I'm coming from games and there "+" after dices means extra damage.

>Nigga 5E uses bounded accuracy
Bounded accuracy is pretty shit if you ask me, I want a good sense of progression

see

and yet the pf starter set comes with a +3 attack, 2d6+3 longsword available at level 1

Okay, then.

>reads 5e material as if it were AD&D 2e
Just as stupid.

Neither PF nor 5E use the same levels of HP as AD&D did so higher damage modifiers aren't even remotely OP. HP is actually somewhere in the vicinity of double to triple what AD&D had almost across the board, with the only exceptions being very low level enemies and the rare few enemies with low/no constitution anyways, and that's the source of one of my gripes with 5E - damage isn't scaled up to compensate so you only get something approximating AD&D at like level fucking one.

Fighter=+1 attack. Masterwork weapon, +1 attack. Weapon focus, +1 attack. Strength +1 attack.
4 ways to gain a plus 3 attack bonus.

This isn't rocket science.

I only checked for Kyra. She has +1, 1d6+1 Scimitar compared to her Cleric counterpart in 5e starter with +4, 1d8 + 2.

It's what I'm used to.

Meaning neither PF nor 5e is what I'm actually looking for. Well that sucks...

>It's what I'm used to.
Doesn't make it any less stupid.
After all, you don't try to run Windows 10 programs on a DOS system or try to cram a Nintendo 64 cartrige into a WiiU's disk slot.

>Meaning neither PF nor 5e is what I'm actually looking for. Well that sucks...
Since you only (barely) know one system, you don't know what you are looking for.
That said, no matter what you are looking for, neither PF or 5e is it at any rate.

>After all, you don't try to run Windows 10 programs on a DOS system
You can run DOS programs on W10 but cannot read AD&D2e as 5e...

>Since you only (barely) know one system, you don't know what you are looking for.
I want something familiar. I played 2 sessions of PF and it was okay but wondered about 5e. Since most of you shat on PF I decided to look into 5e and that's where we are now. Still choice-less...

Sounds like you'll fit in just right with the OSR crowd.

The main problem with PF is the severe bloating of stats, both for players and monsters, starting at... level 7+ iirc. That, and the wide discrepancies in the power levels of martials and casters which starts being painfully obvious at about the same level.

PF is clearly a more complex system than 5E, but it does complexity wrong in almost every aspect : It is rife with unviable options, meaning that many paths that would be taken for fluff actually gimp your characters, in turn meaning that your actions during combat will be dwarfed by that of more optimized characters by orders of magnitude.

5E is a much, much simpler system, with admitedly less variety and depth than PF. But, because in PF variety is an illusion with regards to the actual amount of viable options, and because its depth is entirely related to its "bad" complexity, 5E was welcomed by a significant part of the community for its cleaner, clearer design.

In 5E, most if not all of the achetypes are viable : this addresses the serious trap options issues PF player could have. In 5E, the combat mechanics are bounded and much less prone to spiralling out of control, addressing the stat bloating issues PF had.

Hopefully this will provide the context you seem to be missing.

>Still choice-less...
You could always just play 2e.

You cannot run DOS programs on Win 10.
You can run DOS programs on a DOS emulation on Win 10.

If you want to play AD&D 2e, just play AD&D 2E.
It's not that difficult.

Isn't D&D5 extremely sjw or am I misinformed? I feel like PF strikes a good balance with LOOK AT THIS BLACK PALADIN WOMAN IN FULL PLATE THAT NEVER EXISTED EVEN REMOTELY LIKE THAT IN THE ENTIRETY OF HUMAN HISTORY but also CHECK OUT THOSE FUCKING TIIIIIIITS WHO GIVES A SHIT

Reading through 5E, I didn't find any obvious narrative choices that would indicate SJW overseeing the process.

Then again,
>Not taking advantage of the setting-detached nature of 5E to run homebrew
>Muh SJW boogeyman

You faggots seeing SJW in every fucking corner and readying your torches and pitchforks whenever womens are mentionned are every bit as brainfucked as the SJW themselves.

Some are, yes. But not me dude, I just heard "brainfucked" ones accuse modern D&D of that, and since I'm not brainfucked I asked others who would be knowledgable. Like you.

Thanks for replying though.

Can someone give me a detailed explanation as to why I should play 5E over PF? I'm a bit of a newfag here.

If you are a newfag that's reason enough. 5e is simpler, faster, just all around more competently designed and easier to pick up.

3.PF has some advantages over it, but it really shouldn't matter for someone just starting out.

There's a single paragraph in the PHB saying you shouldn't be afraid to explore different genders and sexual orientation for your characters.

There's a lot of women and non-white characters in the book illustrations.

And there's an NPC couple in one of the adventures that's gay.

Considering how hard-left-leaning the devs are on their personal social media platforms (at least one of the head devs is gay, even) it's pretty held-back. Most people who complain about 5e being SJW are laughed off because it's entirely a non-issue.

The fuck is Coke Light? You mean Diet Coke?

I mostly play 40k RPGs so tell what is there problem?

>AD&D
>Screwdriver
I love your taste, mang.

>40k
>RPGs

Go back to /pfg/

don't talk shit about seltzer
seltzer is metal asfuck

>What does these "+" mean?
That's the complete damage calculation you goof. That is what their STR or DEX modifiers contribute to their damage after dice, which even 3.PF had.

Some knee-jerk fools panic over a single paragraph of text that says how gender and sexuality can be mutable in a world with hermaphroditic gods and magic and a game of imagination is imaginary.

>Rating a game based on the people who play it
This is not an MMO, faggots, you can actually chose who to play with, so what's the point of doing that? It just makes you sound like shills.

You haven't read any of the posts beside this one but I'll stive give you a (You)

what system is the favorite then?

Downy Halfling, mainly.

Seriously, the system is faster, not so horribly complicated, and all round nicer to play.

It's got an OD&D feel but you can still feel a decent sense of progression.

It also doesn't have ten million feats the DM has to keep track of.

I'm an idiot from Veeky Forums and a new friend wants me to join him and some other people for a game of D&D, what can I expect?

Do you own a robe and/or wizard hat?

Is he autistic?
I had a few sessions with an autistic DM, shit was annoying

No. But I could always get one or build one or something
Chances are I am more autistic than he is. He definitely has other problems though

I was going to try and argue that since classes had ability score and race requirements that you were a fraud and a liar, but afer getting my book out and looking it over I can't really find any other fault. So I guess you're right.

>talk shop
But Pathfinder's shop sucks. Anyone that actually talks shop chooses a better shop because they actually understand how games work.

Pathfinder rule crunching comes down to making insane number machines with little to no actual focus on the game itself. It's a totally masturbatory exercise that has little to do with gaming itself.

General Consensus is 5e for not being a broken game and game mechanics on a similar level of complexity

I like 5e gud for those reasons + first rpg = best rpg and shit, but mostly just parroting what I've heard

Not feeling up to detail but, one big one:

A player can just own (and understand) the PHB and be on the same level as another player that owns and pulls material from all the books.

Also, it's hard to not follow game balance for most of the levels (that is intraparty balance, and also party vs expected challenge of monsters and shit come easy in 5e), even with tryhards (minmaxers, whatever you call 'em), while the only way PF stays that way is if none of the players know what they're doing or everyone prisoner's dillema right, agreeing to not be the best they can be for fun's sake

PF if you're a number crunching autist who wants to do some crazy shit like summon a million telekinetic swords or punch so hard you shatter the ground and everything in a 60ft radius.

5E if you just want a casual comfy albeit boring game because there is barely much options for you other than play tired old fantasy class cliches.

Do you want to play a martial, or a caster? That will answer which one you want to play.

You got that flipped around user.

Pathinder has a trans iconic character, purchasable hormones, a paladin who sells her magic weapon to pay for her lover's sex change while near a giant gaping portal to hell, and a shitton of gay characters.

Here's a list.

wesschneider.tumblr.com/post/93277599246/50-lgbtq-characters-in-the-pathfinder-rpg

I don't really think it's a big deal since it's all easy to ignore and whether gender politics should be mixed with goblin slaying can easily be talked out with your group beforehand.

>I don't really think it's a big deal since it's all easy to ignore and whether gender politics should be mixed with goblin slaying can easily be talked out with your group beforehand.
The answer is always no.

>Those two are the only systems I've ever played, and I enjoyed both thoroughly.
>The only systems you've played are the latest D&D and a nightmare fanfiction feverdream homebrew version of a fifteen year old version of D&D
Christ dude. Get out more. Play something. Anything. Shadowrun, World of Darkness. Fuck, play GURPS if you must.

>a fifteen year old version of D&D

Fuck, where did the time go?

What startles me is that even some people who love 5E will give ground when Pathlings start up with the "no options" spam. Every class has a wide range of archetypes now, some transformative, and because the system actually rewards a majority of your choices and doesn't give a shit how or if you multiclass beyond a token ability score check, there's all kinds of flexibility in character design.

In Pathfinder, you have a fuckton of options, but maybe 75% of them range from "bad enough you'll feel it every session" right down to "straight garbage and your friends will hate you because you'll fucking SMELL like it."

Most people who play Pathfinder have been trained by a combination of adventure paths and Paizo's impossible complexity if you weren't already a 3.5 veteran to understand almost nothing about their own game; Pathfinder has plenty of GMs but only a tiny fraction of them could run a story of their own design and less than that understand things like encounter design or actually managing/tailoring a game because, not that they're dumb or something, but they've been aggressively sold from Day 1 on the idea they'll never have to.

My suspicion is that that attitude - "Buy our APs, buy our option books, three usable out of twelve ain't bad" - has led to a collective dulling of imagination (alongside kitsunefags who never had anything to contribute) and that's why Pathfinder people look at 5E and say "so you only have ONE CLASS that gets sneak attack?" and not understand that a 5E rogue covers like six Pathfinder classes and a majority of their archetypes, except unlike four of those classes and three-quarters of those archetypes...it'll feel good to play.

Didn't feel good to play when I tried it.

Why's that?

So ADND is shit but has a good community?