PIRATE THREAD

Other urls found in this thread:

larsdatter.com/pirates.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw
youtube.com/watch?v=4LuFtIUEUTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I had a pirate-themed game session once. Made up some hardtack, salt pork, dry peas, and grog for my crew.

Im down. Will start a dump.

>Made up some hardtack, salt pork, dry peas, and grog for my crew.

The living historian/larper in me loves this kind of schtick. The realist makes me want to know why you hate your friends.

I sailed on an 18thC ship for a short 2 week voyage. Even with the occasional bit of pickled veggies/preserved fruits, that diet is miserable. pic related

Also, what system? File is the new edition 7th Sea quick start. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but love the original.

Cool, I didn't know Gropey's on Veeky Forums as well!

Gonna dump some art, and requesting cool ideas for Swashbuckler characters. (More art is welcome as well!)

....Veeky Forums is my home board for the past decade...

>Swashbucklers
>No one has a buckler

I know you mostly from the LARPthreads, good to know though.

obviously you have a bucket off screen, for when you get inevitably sea-sick

Welcome to Veeky Forums, Clownbro is a fixture.

You can't escape me.

NOT IN THE GOOD BUCKET!

Ooh, Grenado!

Well, part of my intent was to show 'em that piracy isn't all adventure and wenches.

Fun was still had, mind; I think it helps that I only made enough for them to sample, and didn't *make* them eat it or anything.

>Well, part of my intent was to show 'em that piracy isn't all adventure and wenches.

There is also rum, sodomy and the lash!

You say that like it's a bad thing!

One of the ports they pulled into also had very nice banana-beer.

I don't know man, I run fast.

Also, any idea what did Renaissance pirates look like?

>Also, any idea what did Renaissance pirates look like?

Real talk, A pirate is just a sailor who made bad life choices. They would dress exactly like any other free sailor of their time period and culture, except with more wear and tear to their clothes.Having a bunch of shit hanging off like Jack Sparrow is flatly dangerous for someone who's profession is working on a ship, no matter what period.

Pic is a German pirate captain from the 16thC, Klaus Stortebeker. If I didn't tell you he was a pirate, would you have ever guessed?

Probably not.

And if so-What would a free sailor dress like in the 15th and 16thC?

>What would a free sailor dress like in the 15th and 16thC?

The same thing as any other manual labourer of their period and culture.

I really don't know what you're expecting. Its dirty, menial work.

Hoo boy, you're not kidding. There's a reason factory workers are encouraged to keep their hair short and not wear ties, and in terms of sheer ability to mangle limbs, getting caught in the moving parts of a ship isn't too different from getting caught in the moving parts of industrial machinery.

How much do you love me? Here is a collection of historic art, with dates and providence, of explicite images of pirates from the 14-17thC.

larsdatter.com/pirates.htm

I LOVE the Larsdatter website. Karen Larsdatter basically collects, correlates and labels by subject matter, material documentation for all sorts of various things from the medieval and renn periods, for the sake of reenactors to better proof work.

Check the site map, and you can look up the whole list.

Pretty much

I came back from a good raid, got 15 ships, a shit load of gold, a few dozen elf slaves, at least 30 busty wenchs that willingly joind the crew, a months worth of provisions, and 40 cellars worth of rum

Im drunk and happy, tell me about your raiding experince

What does a bluejacket's working uniform circa ~1860 look like, anyway?

My current character is a wizard pirate. It's lots of fun

Where do wizards find spell components on the high seas?

Oh no, it's just him that's the pirate. All wizard party, 2e. Rest of the crew vanished 10 years ago, including his mom and dad. He's looking fo em while doing wizard stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw

Not my period, but five minutes looking got me this.

Buff white canvass trousers, cotton or linen under clothes, and a cotton (summer) and wool (winter) yolked tunic. pic related.

Trade at ports, or using oceanic equivalents. Albatross rather than bat guano. Islandic brimstone and lava ash.

May you never suffer from Scurvy

youtube.com/watch?v=4LuFtIUEUTQ

watch for 5 minutes, you wont regret it.

Dried citrus rind, vinegar pickles, and mustard for all!