/ysg/ - Yog-Sothothery General

Let's have one of these. Everything CoC and CoC-related goes here.

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>Call of Cthulhu 7e
sendspace.com/file/8gje9p

>Delta Green
>The old:
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
>The new:
>Need to Know
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
mega.nz/#!8c5kFbJL!bAYHcyWX_RUbvoAMWI63E7XLUdfU19APQnWIv5tzamk

How do you like your supernatural? Eldritch tentacled monstrosities rampaging through the countryside or shadows at wrong angles, glimpses of unearthly anatomy and whispers in unknown languages under the breath? Shining impossible artifacts or seemingly mundane items working in unusual ways and causing obsessions?

Also, what do you think of DG's latest free scenario "Operation Dustbowl"?

Other urls found in this thread:

freesound.org/search/?q=forest
freesound.org/people/cylon8472/sounds/249686/
youtube.com/watch?v=JAcknEyohpE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gonna play CoC for the first time with some pals Friday, decided to start with Deadlight since it seems to be mystery/fight for your life rather than rootin tootin stab n shootin.

Has anyone played Deadlight, and were there any twists or adjustments to the campaign you made that was enjoyable?

I made it as a introduction scenario to a major campaing(but we didn't play it through). So, the players got so spooked that they wouldn't even explore the surroundings, they basically skipped the Doctor's house. In the end, on of the players realized that light had a good effect against the deadlight, but he ran away with the last functioning car leaving the last party member behind. whom exploded a gas pump to kill it.

Anyone know similar ''survival horror'' scenarios? Also, what do you think about 7th ed? I like it more than the 6th but the Delta Green rules are quite nice.

Also, dumping for bumping

I'm running my own scenario right now where the investigators have become trapped on a sparsely populated island. Mythos forces have encompassed it in a terrible storm and are using their influence to quickly corrupt the denizens of the island.

The investigators are going to hide and survive around the island while investigating the ritual needed to dispell the storm.

Interesting, do you have anything written up? I was myself thinking about taking a town to another dimension with a mist, and making them fight for survival while trying to get back to our world( I even had factions planned, but I have forgotten all about it).

So, I'm running masks and they just finished a succesful raid on ju-ju house. I ended the session there and thy started arguing over where to go next. So, do you guys have any tips or something? Its going pretty well so far

Alright here's a write up
>Bluewater Island is a small land mass located off the coast of North Eastern United States
>Island used to be a mass cod fishery. Fish disappeared 30 years ago (due to Dagonic influence), most of the island is now destitute and poor
>residents of the island rarely leave. "oh we love this place! some people may see it as a dreary old island, but it's our home. I just can't be away from it for too long"
>Most of the island is destined to be Deep Ones. When people reach the age of metamorphosis (70-80) they are sent to a massive retirement home on one end of the island in which their transformation is monitored by dagonic cultists. The coming of age thing is part of the island's culture, and there is a small parade to celebrate an old person being sent to the home.
>This has been going on a for a while now
>Enter Investigators. They arrive for whatever reason fits your campaign on the only ferry that goes to and from the island twice a day.
>Dagonic cult ramps up its activities, create a storm or fog or whatever that traps the investigators on the island.
>The storm speeds up the devolution process and the cult takes over the main town in a revolt, forcing the investigators to hold their ground or run and survive
>the campaign ends when the investigators figure out how to stop the storm and end the ritual

Let me know what you think. I can go into further detail if you want

Quite nice, go on please. Is there anyone ''normal'' on the island(so the revolt can make sense)? And what is the main goal of the cult?

Yeah. Anywhere from 20-30% of the island either doesn't have the deep ones curse or it skipped their generation. When they get old enough to be sent to the "old folks home", they get their own ceremony too but they get separated into the "normal" section of the institution. The cult puts a lot of effort into making sure people don't find out about the curse. Actually, Even the other 70% that is doomed to devolve into deep ones don't even know about their fate until it's too late. The cult makes up a small (but elite) portion of the island's community and they have been ensuring the smooth transition of human to deep one for years.

Younger members of the cult have recently been pushing for a more extreme and final solution. They plan to bring about this cursed storm in order to speed up the devolution process, making it only a matter of days for the island's population to fully transform. This new generation of cultists doesn't want to wait around for years and continue the slow process.

forgot pic

I have a friend who is making a chtulhu inspired game set in a fur trapping village in the very north of America/Southern Canada.

The natives are apparently worshipping the grand old ones.

Anyone got any cool idea to throw her way?

About to start my first Delta Green game friday. Any tips about the system? I am running the starter scenario in the book: Shadow plays and puppet masters.

That sounds sweet. I've always wanted to do a fur trapping era game. What Great Old Ones were they worshiping?

Dunno if anyone else picked this up but the car rules in 6ed CoC seem to have ramming damage based on respective velocities (1d6 for every point of max speed I believe?).
Couldn't you theoretically have quantum tunneling pick-up trucks since the things like mountains and buildings are stationary objects that do 0 damage?

>yes any sane dm will shoot it down but could you rules-lawyer it and not be technically wrong?

I've played a ton of 5ed and 7ed, never 6ed. What are the exact rules for vehicle damage? Are you implying that you could use pick-up trucks to tunnel through mountains because the stationary object doesn't do damage?

In 7ed, vehicles both take and deal damage depending on how fast they were going.

A pantheon, the various old ones having supplanted local deities and spirits.

Tangentially related:

Does anyone happen to have a pdf of the script to the Carcosa play? I had it years ago but I got a new computer and didn't transfer that over.

Is there an up to date character creator for Delta Green? The usual CoC character creator has a Delta Green sheet but it's way out of date.

Is that the old DG? Why not pick the new one?

Holy shit, what a nice pic, where is it from? And nice scenario, I may mix up with my mist one if it ever happens. Please, do tell when you play it.

>Why not pick the new one
Is there a new starter scenario? I've read the new books but the starter scenario in the new one is catered towards players who have never played and characters who haven't been initiated into Delta Green before.

I want to run a Delta Green campagn. How do I structure it and tie it together? I don't really want to make it a series of isolated "missions". I just recently finished playing through Masks of the Nyarlydude, and it just went so smoothly and seamless. Making the campaign a "monster-of-the-week-but-with-tentacles" would feel really underwhelming. Any advice or examples of good campaigns? Edition doesn't matter.

I'm not sure. Google reverse images doesn't give me any results. Sorry.

The book has some good suggestions. Just have an introduction scenario where everyone learns some mythos stuff and gets together then create an overarching plot. Throw in monster of the week scenarios as you see fit. I always like campaigns that stretch over a period of years and have some year long gaps in them.

CASE OFFICER'S HANDBOOK FOR THE NEW DG WHEN

I SHARE YOUR ANGER

It still is the same, but you could use Lover in the Ice or Khali something for older players.

I'll still use it because I want to get used to the different rules first.

Are they supposed to?

Can we talk about Eldritch Horror here? After playing an absurd 8 player game once and being very intrigued, I picked up a copy with the first expansion for play more regularly with one other person. We've only played it once but it was a blast. As a Call of Cthulhu Keeper, it lets me feel like a player in a pulpy CoC game for a couple hours. I'm restraining myself from buying the other expansions immediately.

Shadow Plays and Puppet Masters is excellent. I think it remains a much better intro to Delta Green compared to Last Thing Last. I really like Last Thing Last, but it's better as a fake half of a mission to begin a session with, so that an emergency can arise after they've easily cleaned everything up.

>Eldritch Horror
I played that on a Halloween game night at my LGS and had a good time. This is just a general for anything related to Lovecraft so talk about whatever you want. Have you ever played CoC as a player because you might just be having a bit of forever GM sadness.

It's always sad to see these threads die so early but I really have nothing more to contribute. IS it possible that these games are played so little?

A few times. I was actually introduced as a player, but I liked it so much I ended up becoming a Keeper. The guy who introduced me hosted a few games, but they were net games and tend to be hard to organize. Another friend hosted a wild west one shot two Christmases ago, but that's the last time. Being Keeper is kind of suffering.

If you have any players that aren't totally incompetent maybe try and negotiate a trade off deal with them. It sucks when you have to take the pressure all the time.

One other guy in the group GMs other games and has offered to do a one shot now and then, but a number of things have come up and he has gotten fairly busy, so that is kind of stuck indefinitely. For now I will suffer.

bump

Anybody have stats for enemy NPCs/monsters for the new Delta Green? Since the main rulebook is yet to be released I don't really know how to go about making creatures, and would like to make some soon. So if anyone has a guide on making creatures or a list with stats for a bunch of enemies I'd love to have that.

I guess not much by channers, because lovecraftian kickstarters and such get voted up rather quickly

Not the guy you were originally referring to, but I've never actually played CoC as a investigator. I've been Keeping for 2 years now but I've never had the chance to play.

I think ELdritch Horror is a very fun coop game.
You really do not need many expansions and I would say only take the Forbidden Lore one as it adds the most on the base set and it is the only one that feels mandatory.
Other than that the small box expansions are usually better value for money than the big ones but ymmv

No but color me interested. Masks always looked awesome to run

Is it worth running masks?

I've read that some people have run Last Thing Last with Metamorphosis (a shotgun scenario) because they fit pretty well together.

Anyone play any of the other lovecraft rule systems? I've only done CoC but I would branch out if they're any good.

Do any of the books have creature stats? I really haven't seen any except for the agent stats in the agents handbook

Anybody got the Sourcebook for the 1920s pdf?

Well, I have to say its the most fun I ever had being a keeper. It does take a lot of preparation, but overall its very enjoyable

I'm planning for a masks campaign now. You need some confidence that your group is gonna stick with it because it takes over a year to run. It's not worth it if players bitch out

I don't have that confidence, so I'm starting them with two short scenarios as a test. This has a hidden benefit of easing the players into a false sense of security before the real shit starts

>over a year
Holy fuck that is insane. How many characters typically die during the game?

I got through new york (first chapter) woh no deaths, but it really depends on the group, I've ran for people who died in the first hour. Also the "Atleast 6 players" tip is pretty usefull, any less and it will be retardedly difficult.

The players really need to be ready to die, if they aren't, it will quickly end. Also, if there are less then 6 players, tone down some things so it isn't a character grinder

I think it would be really hard for me to get 6 players together once a week for a year. I currently have trouble wrangling 3 semi competent players to do one shots.

Try to aim for 4 players, if its any less you'll have to do some heavy rebalance

Yep. Multiple TPKs aren't out of the ordinary, and some encounters are meat grinders. I plan to spend a bit of time at each location asking players if they have any contacts in there, and introducing them to interesting NPCs that aren't plot-critical. That way they have non-awkward options to re-enter the campaign. I'm also using the lists of mental hospitals provided by the companion supplement to kind of keep indefinitely insane investigators "on ice" until the player kills another PC and, miraculously, their old one is cured!

Of course they can only do that if they don't ditch him inside the pyramid or wherever
>At least 6
I saw that too, but it's too large of a group for me to manage. I also would never be able to get that many players to meet regularly. It'd be cool to have 6 but I'd rather reduce the number of enemies and give more attention to each player

Yes, I think I may have over-stressed the 6 players thing. To be honest, 4 players does the job just fine with little rebalancing

does anyone have some audios or sound effects for eldritch situations or creatures? that would be awesome!

>waiting for Case Officer's Handbook

freesound.org/search/?q=forest

freesound.org/people/cylon8472/sounds/249686/

Same. Meanwhile Ive taken to writing 5 scenarios of varying length for my regular/new groups to entertain myself. I find that writing for delta is harder than CoC because of the new addition of its faux legality. In CoC yoi can just be like, youre all investigators, congrats you ALL tooks this case.

Well in Delta Green just have the handler give them cover stories and say "You're all members of the same cell, congrats you all took this assignment."

What skills should a photographer have (besides Photography and obvious stuff like Spot Hidden)?

what kind of photography does he do?

macro?
nature?
news?
crime scene?
classy nudes?

Field journalism/photography type things.

Is it easy to transfer nu-DG system to a 1920's setting? I like the combat better. Also, does the 7th edition has any thing like bonds and such?

I don't see why it would be hard. You could just use prices and shit like that from the 1920s in the CoC book and play with DG rules replacing certain computer related skills. If you want to play as a Delta Green agent the agency was around then. I haven't played 7th e so I have no idea about that.

don't hesitate to use a "sneaky" deadlight : someone wants to check the car outside ? or want to go to the bathroom ? Ok, but then they are just lost forever in the rain. Also, letting one of your player being the amnesic girl can be really cool, give him his memories throughout the scenario (or allow power test to remember). In addition to, try to lure your players that they are going to do another scenario, you can even let them meet an npc prior to it, introducing the "bait" scenario. Finally, and I know its not easy, try to instigate true "night of the living dead" moments : let the players stay inside the drive in, trying to figure out a solution... Eliminate one or two npcs, build up the tension inside.

anything wrong with the ones in the handbook? Art/Craft (Photography), one interpersonal
skill (Charm, Fast Talk, Intimidate or
Persuade), Psychology, Science (Chemistry),
Stealth, Spot Hidden, any two other skills as
personal or era specialties.

photojournalist also gets Climb and Other Language

Hey
I made this chart of Sanity Loss
I plan to put it in front of my investigators and let them make sanity rolls when they feel it is nessicary. This will allow them to tailor their loss to their character backstories.
Let me know what you think

Seems pretty good.

many thanks, guys!

does anyone have or know some good artist for characters with "the innsmouth look"? much obliged

It should be subtle but unsettling.
Human enough to be mistaken for mix-blooded but not recognizeable.

oh thanks a lot, i forgot about that! also, this book is fucking amazing, moore is really making up for the disaster of neonomicon

How I would structure the "first season" of Delta Green is to absolutely do Monster of the Week, but have in the background all kinds of questionable things that THE PROGRAM (The official government backed Delta Green) is doing. Your players should feel like they might not be working for the good guys. Early on, hint that there are rogue Delta Green operators out there (THE GROUP) who do not share THE PROGRAM's goals. Perhaps members of THE GROUP can serve as a Deep Throat contact with the players, or conduct surveillance on them to increase the paranoia.

At a critical juncture halfway through the campaign, have Agents from THE GROUP save your PC's from certain doom in a climactic episode. Then go back to monster of the week, maybe with the PC's doing one or two Rogue missions with THE GROUP, unknown to their PROGRAM supervisors. End the first season with an intense showdown where the PC's must choose to stay with the PROGRAM and betray their new friends with THE GROUP, or leave the PROGRAM behind and go fully rogue with THE GROUP.

Ok I really want more of this. Where can I find this if you're done posting, user

The New Delta Green is 100% backwards compatible with Call of Cthulhu rules. There is no reason why you couldn't run Puppet Shows and Shadow Plays straight out of the original book with the new rules which are EXCELLENT.

The main addition that the DG RPG makes is the bonds system. Your investigator gets a certain amount of bonds representing relationships with people who are important in their life. You can "push" sanity losses onto these bonds to deflect the loss, but then the Bond deteriorates and the player must then play out a scene that shows how the bond is withering under the effects of the stresses that confronting the unnatural places on the Investigator.

This has the effect of the Investigator being more or less stable during missions, while their personal life falls to shambles all around them. Their wife divorces them, their kids won't speak to them, their old buddies from school don't want to be around a spooky creep who chases monsters, etc. Once they are fully isolated and all their bonds and personal relationships are destroyed, then the true madness begins to set in.

youtube.com/watch?v=JAcknEyohpE

Yes, it's already late by several months

Not the poster: Comic title is Providence, by Alan Moore.

it's Providence, by Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows.
It's basically Moore trying to clean up the mess he made with The Courtyard and Neonomicon and trying to not be so goddamn obsessed with rape.
You can read it all on readcomiconline.to

Thanks, user! I will read these immediately

Does anyone have more of the French CoC art.

Does the sendspace download work for everyone else? It doesn't for me.

i found them really compelling.
also, there's one rape. of an underage girl. because moore. the motherfucker cannot write anything without assault or rape. neonomicon had two whole rape issues, for chrissakes.
but at least it's really better written.
aside from that, it's really amazing. they desconstruct everything about lovecraftian mythology.
(warning: the penultimate issue made it clear that you do have to read The Courtyard and Neonomicon in order to really understand the ending)

can i haz mur picz plz
tryin'a build a folder for future use in adventure and such

sure

last one