Happy 10th anniversary, Veeky Forums!

Happy 10th anniversary, Veeky Forums!

The good kind though, with Mr. Rogers and Bob Ross. Oh, and somebody post the Veeky Forums is not a place thread. The one we post when we need hope for the future of the board.

Happy birthday everyone!

Veeky Forums meta thread?
deleted my post

Not sure which screenshot you're talking about.

That makes me wish I saved my Kromgol ban. I caught one in the second or third thread calling out the sheets as fake as they were 1e or 2e sheets with 3.5 mechanics on them. Mods forcing memes is srs business.

>10 years
Is it really? I remember lurking here when this place was brand new. Fuck I'm old.

Tell us of the "Good Ol' Days" then. The times that everyone says was better(mainly because everyone was fresh from /b/ and /m/, and able to ignore bait)

Thanks for everything Veeky Forums. I hope to share many more sleepless nights in these hallowed threads.

good to be with you all these years Veeky Forums

I feel on some level that the Veeky Forums that valued creativity and personal freedom has been put to the wayside by /pol/acks who seek to divide people who enjoy the hobby based on petty things like skin color and religion, and newfags who don't respect the old memes and traditions of the board.

I'm probably seeing things through rose-colored glasses, but I feel like Veeky Forums has changed and become an angrier place. Not angry in the usual neckbeard way - angry in a way that people are afraid and want to lash out at something.

Also fuck /pol/ for stealing Deus Vult from Crusader Kings 2.

Happy 10th.

It's /x/'s 10th anniversary too.

Simpler times...

generals killed Veeky Forums

no conversation, look to the pastebin and we already talked about that last general so we can never talk about it again

Runs through content too quickly for how much content Veeky Forums gets a year

>implying it isn't the same threads every day since time immemorial
There's only so much Veeky Forums-related stuff to talk about and it was exhausted years ago so your complaint is invalid.

Was there ever any sauce to this picture or is the picture all there is?

That was the most goddamn annoying thing about that spambot, that I actually wanted sauce on the chick.

I can't remember her name but the image was from Suicide Girls. I loved all the boards edits of her.

Some of you may know me, I'm the curator of the /fvgt/ threads. Anyone familiar with me on here knows I'm pretty idealistic about the board, especially about its ability to get shit done.

I've spent a long time figuring out what went wrong with Veeky Forums, and here's what I've decided:

The board can live without quests, the board could live if it was entirely generals, the board can survive /pol/, and trolls by the hundreds, and the board can weather pretty much anything... except for one thing: autism.

Well, more specifically what we refer to as autism, but more specifically mean the "I'm right, you're wrong, and I'm going to argue about it and reply to every response until I can browbeat you into submission" attitude that has become so prevalent. Everything has to be taken so seriously, so trolls barely put any effort. We need to fix this.

Which is just another way of saying that we need to ignore bait.

Of course, you guys know this doesn't work. In fact, it's Fucking ridiculous how bad we are at ignoring bait. Which is why I'm advocating a new(old) solution: derail the thread.

Lindybeige, Varg, BBEG-Fag, MartialV.Caster, 3.5/Dungeon World, or another troll pops up? Switch the conversation from whatever weapon he's arguing didn't exist and turn it into a Monstergirl discussion, or something absolutely balls-to-the-wall ridiculous. Make sure nobody is able to take the thread seriously, and make sure you have fun doing so.

TLDR: Serious Veeky Forums is at fault for ruining Veeky Forums, which is why we need to loosen up the troll/autism threads a bit with more gonzo conversation.

Great you are just encouraging the "lolepicscreencap" crowd. Old Veeky Forums's derails worked because they happened organically and most importantly unintentionally. We get fewer of them now because fucktards keep trying to be the next Sir Bearington or Edguardo.

He's offering a solution, and while perhaps I don't agree with it, it's better than just complaining and going "lol you're wrong."

Oh fuck, I took the bait.

Well then... let them. At this point I would rather deal with a bunch of LoLEpicMemers than I would the cynical bog that Veeky Forums has become. I'd rather have stupid people enjoying stupid Shit and having fun than I would have another thread arguing about 3.PF.

Well, that and my other solution is to post actual content to drown out the shit. Love and Krieg 2.0? One of the best threads to come about in recent times, simply because it's encouraged people to produce something for the board. We've got like seven different Writefags in there pushing content.

>been browsing Veeky Forums for all this time
>never even played any board game

Shit... You know what, I need to get the /fvgt/ started up again. Expect to see it sometime tomorrow. It'll have a whole bunch of resources for you to get into virtual Veeky Forums stuff on the cheap side.

I think the real issue is clannish bullshit. There's no reason autism should be special among the board's list of woes, but it flows easily when you've got enemies that need to be put to the sword. It also models edition wars perfectly, explains how anybody could get that mad about quests, explains for the rise of generals, and, most notably, demonstrates why baiting Veeky Forums is about as difficult and unreliable as turning on your computer. It's not that people are "serious," it's that they're at war. Going from ALLOW ME TO SPEND FORTY PAGES EXPLAINING WHY YOU ARE WRONG to LOLSORANDUMXDXDXD is just going to remodel the flavor of shit if they do so every time there's a VILE TROLL to VALIANTLY DEFEAT by POSTING WAIFUS instead of screaming autistically at him like before.

Going to war, whatever its form, does not generate content, and that's really all that matters. It doesn't really matter if somebody's raging about Lindybeige or politics on a traditional games board so long as somebody else is doing something interesting elsewhere, but often they're not. I'm beginning to suspect the creation of /qst/ was an attempt to salvage actual content from its containment board, rather than the other way round.

I don't really know what the solution to this is, but I'm fairly certain it involves discouraging the factionalism and clannishness of the board, and more importantly convincing people to post traditional games related content rather than Veeky Forums content.

I hope I won't miss it desu

C U T E!

Ah, damn.

Well... We've got /vp/ now, so there's that.

It might unfortunately be a symptom of how things are in the real world.

Hear me out.

Politics is becoming more and more of a thing taking center stage. It doesn't matter what these politics are, everywhere you go on Veeky Forums, there'll be at least one post every thread about "leftists" and "conversatives" and what's a fascist, what's a cuck, etc.

We seem to be growing more and more used to solving arguments by just shouting people down instead of just trying to mutually understand each other. There's no real debate, it's just shitposting.

Then you got threads on /pol/ about "infiltrating" other boards with memes and shitposting (I know, /pol/ boogeyman, but you see it everywhere) which only exasperates things.

I'd go onto Infinitychan at this point, but it has boards about kidfucking and animalfucking, and it's /pol/ basically runs the place.

Here's another (You) for you

Do you think that is is just an unusual time and things will invariably go back to normal or is this the new status quo? Something in between? Inn Between is a great inn name

I don't know.

I don't think people care anymore, because everyone is so insulated on their side of the political spectrum. That's why each side has found it so easy to demonize the other - their image of the other side is completely imaginary and made up of stereotypes and cliches.

Like whenever I manage to drag myself out of bed? This shit doesn't happen. I go to the bar and no one talks about ANYTHING that involves politics. The only people I've seen talk about politics in real life have all been weirdos, who either believe in MEME MAGIC or that everyone on the right is some kind of Nazi.

So either the real world really isn't as illogical and insane as people arguing about politics on the internet implies, or I just live in a place where people don't give a shit.

>inb4 pepeposting

>Veeky Forums will never be at the 2007-2011 high point again
>just progressively gets worse and worse as faggots chase out all forms of OC in favor of fucking general threads
>nazimod purges are now basically accepted or even praised by the newfags that outnumber the old

I would gladly accept all the elf slave wat do brainless meme smut threads if it meant Veeky Forums could reclaim even half of what it used to be. I'd take every shitty animu "quest" if it meant we could have our badwrongfun here again the way we always did. I used to never bother or need any other boards and now I hardly even come here.

I miss what this place used to be.

Like several anons here were saying, the board was looser and more fun. People were a bit more childish, and a lot happier.

That generation got old and bitter, especially after the rise of social justice, and it's taking a lot to turn things around.

The real world is more verbally hostile than it was ten years ago, with everyone constantly belittling and acting smug and holier than thou towards their enemies, so really it's sort of a problem with society as a whole. I can only hope that we can return to a simpler, more fun time where we all just had fun together, instead of constantly fueling each other's depression.

Oldfag here, along with you and the other oldfags.

We all used to have things that made us rage in a neckbeard way. We all had things that we hated.

I wouldn't say it's the rise of social justice like said, although it could possibly be a part, for even the greybeards of the 70's and 80's were angry at how tabletop roleplay had been getting "worse" since their day.

I think it's because, as most of us are Millennials (early 1980s to 2000 is generally accepted as when the Millennial generation began)... we're a very angry generation. You can see from all the SJWs, the alt-right (actual alt-righters, not memefags), and a lot of military servicepeople being some of the angriest, most hateful fuckers on the planet.

It seems to just be in the majority of our generation's nature to be angry. It's a damn shame it's only gotten so bad in the past... five years, I'd say?

nazimod left in 2011. It's been 6 years that we've been responsible for our own issues.

Anything that happens now is moderation, not nazimod doing anything.

nothing currently is like nazimod of old

>Millennials early 1980s to 2000
I was born in '88 and I don't resemble, relate to, or consider myself a part of anyone born past like '95 at the latest. We're a distinct generation and I hate being lumped in with kids that grew up with smartphones as a norm when high tech when I was a kid meant you had a pentium and an early CD player.

Overzealous moderation is what is killing this board and has basically eliminated what used to be the culture here. It wasn't a board strictly about discussing traditional games, it was a board for traditional gamers to discuss the shit we talk about with each other. There is a discernible difference and the latter made this a great place to be.

Yes nazimod is gone but the effects of those purges and subsequent purges are still very much being felt today. Veeky Forums has never really recovered and any time it begins down the path to the days of old it is swiftly beaten back down again.

There exists a large and growing number of the population here that do not remember the old days because they weren't here. To them, Veeky Forums has always been this ridiculously strict environment that exists only to make general threads in.

It has been a mistake to run out the major sources of OC we used to have, the drawfags, the writefags, even some questfags. It was a mistake to try to make this place a PC safespace barren of the sort of raunchy, smutty humor it used to have. This used to be a fun place to be even if it was just for the chaos of it all. Now it's just fucking general threads and bullshit.

And that's the kind of tribalism that's killing us, user.

The sort of hatred for people born past a year, the separation of what makes us people, that's the kind of anger that defines us.

It's not "PC," it's not Nazimod, and fuck, it isn't even /pol/ shitposting. I think it's a deep, resounding cynicism and hate against anything that old Veeky Forums used to be.

Veeky Forums used to be a place of perverted motherfuckers, but we also had a sense of class about it. We were nerdy as fuck, but we also generally had some skills to bring to the table, like modelling or writefagging. Above all else we were brothers and sisters, fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls, neckbeards with a true sense of community and tradition.

Memes are shit for the most part, but they were also the basis for our culture. While /pol/ has Kek, Pepe, and THE JEWS, and /k/ has innawoods, AR-15, and Veeky Forums has being a bunch of flaming homosexuals, what does Veeky Forums have now?

Elf slave, wat do? Considered cancer.

Katanas are underpowered in d20? Shit and blind weeb hate without getting WHY that's a funny pasta.

Abaddon the Armless? Ultrasmurfs? Cultist-Chan, Raege and Boone, Noh, hated.

I don't want us to be enemies, user. I don't care what generation you're from. I care about what you want to do, and what you want to make for the board.

We need writefags, drawfags, fuck, we just need FAGS back, because Love and Krieg and All Guardsmen Party? THAT SHIT is old Veeky Forums that I remember, when we'd just make goofy shit and have fun with it.

But people don't like it. A lot of people don't like it. Do some oldfags hate old Veeky Forums and love nu/tg/? Probably. But the people who love this board for what it used to be need to do shit.

We need to get shit done.

A day may come, when the courage of Veeky Forums fails, and we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship — but that is not this day!

A hour of wolves, and shattered shields, as the age of Veeky Forums comes crashing down — but it is not this day! This day we fight!

By all that you hold dear, on this good earth, I bid you CONTRIBUTE!

ANONS! OF THE BEARD!

Certainty of sage.

Small chance of success.

What are we waitin' for?

>sjws strawman
That's bullshit and you very well know it, i agree with everything else, but the sjw part is bullshit. Veeky Forums was never really affected by sjws.

what a shitty imageboard. fuck off, OP
Happy B'day

You're mistaken, I don't overtly hate millennials, I just don't consider my generation part of that group.

Every board has changed, but Veeky Forums has had it bad. /k/ still has their memes but everybody has a gun now. Veeky Forums actually has some goalbod material and has upped their knowledge base. /a/ has done a pretty good job of keeping out undesirables and encouraging self reliance over spoonfeeding, etc.

Veeky Forums has lost its memes, lost its fun, lost basically all our OC generation that used to make this place great.

Yeah I would absolutely love to get shit done. I used to draw here even though I wasn't great. I used to run a few popular quests. I used to join the writefag thread dogpiles from time to time. About all that's left of that is the drawfaggotry and even that isn't the same. Fuck when did greenmarine last post something here? Based on his recent stuff I'd say /v/ somehow ended up with him now.

I loved doing quests but only here, because it was full of fa/tg/uys. /qst/ or anonkun or whatever can fuck right off because I don't have fun writing for other audiences. The people here, this board specifically, made it fun.

Happy Birthday Veeky Forums, you have been with me for a good while, ever since I started a wee bit of tabletop and mostly 40k. I love you.

But eh, I don't understand how I can contribute. I can't write fanfiction worth a shite, I can't draw and the only subject I know much of is 40k and I haven't been keeping in the loop as much as I was. It's a very saturated subject regardless.

Anytime i tried to create a thread for something, It was ignored and fell off the board, so I kinda just stopped.

I love the thread posts
I clear blue style style
I love great riches
I love when PC's die

I love the whole board
And all Its sites and sounds

Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada.

I'm actually glad the board-tan thing is dead and that it never caught on in Veeky Forums.

I love forty kay
I love Dee n' Dee
I love boardgaming ways
I love em tee gee

I love the whole board
With all it's craziness

Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada. BOOMDEYADARRRGH.

>other people are having fun wrong
But why?

Basically, because the idea guys that tried to run the show did such a terrible job at it. The idea itself isn't absolutely terrible, but the end result was embarrassingly bad.
It's a fantastic example of what happens when people without any talent are the ones most invested in a project.

The g in Veeky Forums might as well stand for generals nowadays.
Would it help if the generals would stop naming themselves generals and stop with the samish pastebin etc. thread openers?

having generals isn't the problem. The problem is that we have ONLY generals, and no issue-based threads anymore.
The popularity of Quests forced Generals to be a thing. Now Quests have their own board, and yet we're still using generals.

The pest that killed this entire site are /pol/tards.

Lets create some issue based threads, then.
>inb4 people just tell us to post them in the respective general, or not notice it altogether.

The only reason they even exist is SJWs. You can trace the whole origin story back to stuff as dumb as a kickstarter to fund videos complaining about Princess Peach getting kidnapped or a mediocre walking simulator getting perfect scores because it had lesbians.

I love the quality
and the shitposts too
every day here
there's always something new

I love the whole board
No place I'd rather be

Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada. Boomdeyada!

>I think the real issue is clannish bullshit

Think about where you are and the audience for traditional games.

>2010
>2011
>2010
>2012
Sigh.

Happy 10th anniversary Veeky Forums

You saw me through some of the darker and happier times of my life.

I miss /wst/, Veeky Forums.

I wrote a bit and started drawing and it's what made me discover a hobby aside from fapping and feeling sorry for myself. Most of all, there was this sense of helping out other anons with lewds that were related to some characters I knew, not some retarded /d/ickgirl vore. It was all a bit weird but then I realized I'm just a stupid neck beard and I better rolled with it, and once anonymous, at least we all could sort of relate. It felt like a family.
Now it feels like a home where the cool cousins you experimented with have left and you're stuck with memories and boring Sunday roast dinner.

Here's one that's only 1.5 years old
Unfortunately, it's from (the now dead) 8/tg/

I forgot that was spam. I just saw the thumbnail nail and assumed it was acceptable for all boards. The spam must have given me Stockholm syndrome.

I think you may be right about it reflecting the real world.

I mean,
Even the Discovery Channel has turned to shit since they made that video in 2008 (which seems to match up with ).

Some of you guys are all right.

Also those guys talking about tribalism being the reason things went to hell are right.

That was a more innocent era, now there is a 40k megaplot, and it's grinding straight to the garbage.

Generals 'rose' because its convenient. It has nothing to do with clannish behaviour.

Stuff like /hwg/ and /awg/ also lets games that are too small get discussed easier. And means there is an easily accessible source for pdf's and resources.

I'm REALLY glad Veeky Forums isn't like this is anymore. This is reddit-tier childish bullshit.

I was wondering how long it was gonna take for some unironic tribalism to show up.

You're aware that is only a month old, right?

Wat do?

benis in bagine?
hold hands?

She bears no resemblance to an apple, so I have no sexual interest in her. I probably free her, sell her, or use her to answer the newsletter.

I ironically think this board's decline is due to 3 or 4 autismically obsessed shitposters. The same bait threads with identical OP images pop up constantly now. I think it was Martin Luther King day when there were literally 10 -4 strength threads back to back with identical OPs.

I miss that -4 str threads often evolved to muscle girl threads. Bait threads in general used to yield more interesting concepts than now.
But mostly I miss the musclegirls
At least arms&armor threads are still semi reliable

Everyone memes about -4 str, but it was only -4 to max str which applies to only a tiny percentage of potential characters anyway and is perfectly reasonable.

Is it too late to don my tinfoil hat and blame /leftypol/ for their obvious race-baiting and muh communism threads? You do know a good 90% of /pol/acks know to mostly keep /pol/ in /pol/, right?

We've already gone through this. In the end we've decided on tribalism ruining Veeky Forums

Lets take this in a brighter direction: What threads that you have contributed to are you proud of?

I liked the Kowloon Penteract setting.

I miss DM Kroft

I miss slowness the most. Being able to read the OP of every thread posted, and the nice ones lasting multiple days. Everything is so fast now there's no point thinking about what you post.

Veeky Forums already broke for many, user.
All those kicked out over the years for contributing.

turns out it wasn't quests that made generals a thing. Fucked up big time on that front.

/pol/tards existed prior to SJWs and Gamergate, they just didn't get as vocally retarded until those events because that's when the shoe-eating spergs of /v/ allied with them.

Necroputer.

It certainly popularized them, at least

Happy Tenth, Veeky Forums!

Not really? The two don't have any real corrolation or matchup. I mean, quests were here way longer than generals, for one.

Really, what made generals happen was more population, and a rise in general bitterness and off topic shitposting necessitating contained communities.

Same thing that causes generals anywhere else.

I started the thread that started the current Love and Krieg threads, also Fading Embers.

I was around during the HUGE marines, the Hanged, and the Rad Marines.

Also the "Fucked the Moon Goddess" thread.

I saw a drawthread that Culexus was in.

I was in the That Guy thread featuring Benny the Weeb.

Oh, also I was there to witness the lamentation of Autist-user when he tried to crush on his GM's girl at the LGS.

I also posted the Mr. Rogers threads a few times.

>several of the things I was proud of are no longer allowed here
This isn't brighter at alllll

Questfag, ERP, or Weekend Smut. In any case nothing to be proud of.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Pathetic Marines Role-playing threads that went on for days. I watched Quests flicker across the front page. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

A. you are a fucker
B. more than that has been kicked out over the years.