/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Magic Item Edition

>New UA: Mass Combat! Don't forget the survey!
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mass-combat

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Post your homebrew magic items!

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/DnD_Victoria/comments/5vhi6v/5e_game_looking_for_players_also_shadowrun/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are there rules for playing a Gnoll?

I'll repost some i came up with for an user looking for items for a seafaring campaign

>Blade of the Scrimshawer
>Dagger (Attunement)
>This ever sharpened dagger deals an additional 2d4 damage on a hit to any creature with a swim speed.
>While attuned to this dagger, whenever the wielder kills a small or larger Beast with a swim speed, they may spend one hour carving Scrimshaw from its remains.
>The art piece is worth 2d8 gold, and an additional 2d8 gold per size category above small. This ability can't be used unless the creature died within the last hour.

>Lure Lantern
>This enchanted lantern is made from the head of a mysterious deep sea fish.
>When water is placed inside the Lantern, it casts bright light in a 30 foot radius, and dim light for an additional 30.
>If placed in the ocean, it attracts various fish from up to a mile away.
>You have advantage on survival checks to acquire food and the amount of food acquired is triple the normal amount if the lantern is used for this purpose.

>Hat of the Eternal Captain
>(Attunement)
>Wearing this hat grants you proficiency in Sea vehicles. If you already are proficient, you may double your proficiency bonus instead.
>As an action, you may give an order to a creature over which you have authority. That creature gets advantage on its next attack roll or ability check if it follows your orders,
>otherwise it gets disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks until your next turn.

> 2/2017
> still putting discord link in the OP

>Grasp of the Sea
>Gloves (Attunement)
>This pair of four fingered gloves is made from the remains of a large, tentacled sea beast.
>While wearing these gloves you can't be disarmed.
>You have advantage on Athletics checks involving climbing or grappling.
>If you make an unarmed attack, you deal an additional 1d4 bludgeoning damage on a hit, and may attempt to grapple as a bonus action.

>Guard of the Mariner
>+1 Studded Leather (Attunement)
>While wearing this armor, you have a 30 swim speed and 20 climb speed.
>In addition, you can not be forcibly moved off a boat unless you allow it, instead treat the edge as a wall of force.

>Barricade of the Reef (Barrier Reef)
>Shield (Attunement)
>This magical shield was formed from coral off the shores of a distant land, and gifted to a Merfolk King in hopes of peace. Originally a light pink color, it is now perpetually the crimson of shed blood.
>While wielding this shield you have advantage on Concentration checks.
>When you are dealt damage by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cause the enemy to make a DC:13 dexterity saving throw.
>On a failed save, they take 1d8 piercing damage and have disadvantage on attacks against you until the end of their turn.
>While submerged in water you can use a bonus action to cause the shield to animate. It floats around you, protecting you from attacks as if you were wielding it, leaving your hands free.
>The shield remains animated for 1 minute, until you use a bonus action to end this effect, or until you are incapacitated or die, at which point the shield slowly floats to the surface, or into your hands if you have one free.

Gnolls in 5e are basically unstoppable murder machines fueled by demonic hunger that are compelled to feed on the flesh of sentients at all times.

Playing one would be incredibly difficult for all involved. To answer your question though: nope.

Are you retarded?

Check Volo's.

reddit.com/r/DnD_Victoria/comments/5vhi6v/5e_game_looking_for_players_also_shadowrun/

Running a game in Victoria BC

Would sinking 3 levels into paladin as a fighter for roleplayish reasons (+ divine strike) be a mistake?

you'd lose out on an ASI, an extra attack, and your fighter archetype capstone, but if you're not expecting to get to a high level it isn't THAT bad. a second fighting style can improve your versatility and lay on hands can be a bit nifty at times for an extra boost of HP. your smites are gonna kinda suck tho since you only have three 1st lvl spell slots (unless you go EK).

honestly it might just be better to go straight paladin

the meme that multiclassing equals good roleplaying has got to die

What this user said is on the money.

It's a better idea to go full paladin or paladin with a fighter dip than it would be to go fighter with a paladin dip.

The meme that "the meme that [x] has to die" has to die.

I remember seeing these in an old thread, they seem super neat

If you're getting three levels of Paladin you might as well get six for the best single-level ability in the game.

Feedback user, I passed along your feedback with the survey.

I want that oath of devotion, but I also want to be a purple dragon knight. I basically just want to be the most positive little halfling that ever picked up a sword.

Are there any particularly lenient/nice archfey? what would be the most easygoing, comfortable archfey to serve as a warlock?

>playing a bladelock, 5th level
>respecced to hexblade when it came out
>have Curse Bringer, DM lets me use Cha for it despite me saying I would respec with Strength if need be
>fighting an archer 1-on-1
>crit him
>spend my second spell slot on that smite
>55 damage (knock him out, no need to kill this time)
>and that's with very shit damage rolls, average on that set of rolls was 75-ish
If you think rogue crits or paladin smite crits feel good, the new bladelock invocations critting will knock you the fuck out.

Spear of Equal Exchange
>+2 spear
>As a command, extend the spear's range out to 20 feet
>While the spear is extended, half of all damage dealt by the spear is dealt to the wielder

Which is why I don't like them.

That's not equal at all.

Is this where your mom becomes a horrific monster, your brother loses his physical body and you lose an arm and leg?

Is tomelock any good? Having access to all ritual spell seem nice.

> fey tomelock
> get find steed
> push enemy 20 feet away and reduce their speed by 10 while moving at 200 feet speed per round

Best turret ever

It was never their mom user.

Should I use the points system to distribute my ability scores or should I just roll and hope I get lucky? I'm afraid of getting shit rolls....

Gloves of the blade sage
Requires the Ki feature and attunement.
A set of satin like white gloves that exude a sharp aura.

>While wearing them once per turn your unarmed strike deals an additional 1d4 slashing damage.
>Anything you grasp that is not made out of metal takes 1 slashing damage every two turns.
>As a bonus action you may expend two ki to summon a spectral dagger that homes in on a target that you can see within its thrown range. The target takes MA die +Wis mod force damage without fail and the dagger then dissapates.

Blue Oyster Horn
Requires the Bard class
An azure horn carved from a giant oyster shell
You may use this horn as a bardic focus.

>This item has 1d4+1 magical charges that are restored at dawn. When you use the last charge make a DC15 save with a d20. On a failed save this item is destroyed.
>As an action you may begin playing a performance and expend a charge of this magic item to add your proficiency bonus to the attack and damage rolls of your allies within 60 ft of you untill the end of your next turn.
>You may expend a bardic inspiration die to double the bonus.

Moon-Tree saber
Requires the Druid class.
A white saber with a wood like-grain.

>Attack and damage rolls with this saber are made using your WIS modifier instead of STR or DEX.
>The saber glows shedding dim light within a 10 ft radus.
>You may expend your bonus action to deal an additonal Wis mod in radiant damage with it against a target you have hit with it during that turn.
>As an action you max expend one use of your shapechange feature to summon a wolf formed from pure light in a free space within 20ft from you. It will immediatley charge a target within 30 ft of you. The target will have to make a DC15 Dex save. On a failed save it takes Druid level + Wis mod radiant damage and its movement speed is reduced to 0 untill the end of your next turn. On a sucessfull save the target only takes half damage.

Haha! Joke's on me, my DM came up with this shit.

Do you ask online before wiping your ass user ?

>they are furry orcs now, all 3e and 4e lore throen out the window
>orcs are dindus who are playable thanks to warcraft

Jesus fucking christ.

Do you use standard rules for crafting or some kind of homebrew and why?

What's the best way to kill an extremely powerful npc that currently sees me as friendly but is still causing our party a great deal of grief?

If I were as much of a cunt as I'd say "hurr don't ask questions here hurr im retarded"

But instead I'll ask for more details on the NPC? Off the top of my head if he's friendly to you, depending on your DM you should get advantage on your first attack against him, and you might have an easier time sabotaging him or making him walk into a trap. Tell me more about you and your party, classes ect.

I use homebrew because the default is too slow and too vague.

What was Veeky Forums opinion on the UA? I haven't seen it until this thread, it seems like it's useful but not very exciting.

I'm never going to be able to land a hit on him, advantage or not, and if I did the damage will likely not be enough to kill him immediately
We're fairly sure the DM is just treating him as a high level monk, so he's probably immune to poison and disease as well
We're currently all level 5, an artificer (alchemist), a monk (Sun Soul), Bard (not actually sure what she is) and a Light Cleric/Wizard
I was thinking poison until I learnt he was a monk, now i'm thinking to just crush him with an elaborate trap

It's not that useful, either. Large-scale combat in such a character-focused edition of D&D is basically useless, unlikely to come up in any campaigns. At least they shortened and simplified it, even if the opposed BR check math is completely broken unless the DM hand-adjusts each unit so that they can actually compete with each other.

Do you have a way of making him fall asleep or unconscious via a spell, potion, ect? If so, again depending on your DM, you may be able to dispatch him without a fight, but a coup de grace is isn't really done in 5e anymore, so it really depends on how nice your DM is.

If you can't do the coup de grace, your entire party gets advantage on a sleeping target and if attacks hit, its an auto-crit.

Failing that, come up with some sort of elaborate trap and role play the shit out of it. Rig the ceiling to fall in on him, try to bind him up and toss him out a high window, something along those lines. Make it make sense, be clear, concise and elaborate and make it sound real good when roleplaying it. Maybe if your DM is in a good mood, they'll allow it.

He's an important story character who has given us a few quests now but we only undertook them begrudgingly, I get the feeling that no matter which way I go the DM is going to kick and scream to keep him alive so whatever I do has to be pretty much written down in black and white in one of the handbooks

Nobody asked for it, and it's shit.

Is this a homebrew campaign or one of the books? If so, which and who?

It doesn't matter if you succeed in killing him or not. It's about a sending a message. We don't like your DMPC. We don't like him enough to try and kill him.

>Post your homebrew magic items!

An eyeball and an eye patch. The eye is frantically darting around. If you put on the eye patch, you can control where the eye looks and can see through it as if it was your own.

This has been super fun to play with. Rolling it under doors. Having our Druid turn into a spider and carry it into a place we need to investigate. Same Druid turning into a bird and becoming our own personal drone.

>Comments on the 5th edition warlock

From 2nd-11th levels, warlocks have 2 spells slots/SR. Assuming 6-8 encounters and 2-3 SRs/day, warlocks have, on average, just 1 available slot/encounter. From 5th level onward, full casting classes dramatically outpace warlocks with their daily allotment of spells, even before wizards and sorcerers use their own spell slot recovery features. While warlocks have one unique advantage, casting all spells at the same spell level, if an encounter proves long or difficult, they can fizzle out of spell slots faster than any other casting class or archetype. This compounds their already limited flexibility, and furthermore, discourages player creativity. Warlocks simply lack the resources to risk doing something interesting, compared to what reliably works (Hex+EB). By 11th level, they finally gain a 3rd slot and their first arcanum, which just begins to alleviate the problem, but that 3rd slot comes least a couple levels too late.

"Tax invocations" (invocations for EB and pact boon, which are necessary to validate warlock) take up least half of their invocations known until 12th level, and while many of the at-will options are neat, others are niche at best, and many invocations require a spell slot in addition to a 1/LR limitation, making them untenable.

It's adventurers league, but I think we've stopped running adventures league content and started doing homebrew quests within the setting of Parnast and the surrounding areas. The man in question is the half elf, leosund I think his name is

Sure, but the warlock has the thematic powers of a witch.

Does anyone know if there is a rule against saving spell selections until a higher level? For example, picking my first level spells/cantrips and then for levels 2-4 not picking anything, then when I hit level 5 picking 8 spells?

Just ordered my first Player's Handbook. :3

You missed the point. In 5e, my rulings are arbitrary due to the lack of flexibile but supporting rules. In 4e, my rulings are fast, fair, and usually fun, all because of the simple effectiveness of their tag system and descriptions. I'm actually free to be more flexible with 4e abilities.

Though I suspect you're one of those morons who believed the meme, unsupported by any game rule, that you could only use 4e abilities in combat. If so, shame on you.

> (OP)
>Spear of Equal Exchange
>>+2 spear
>>As a command, extend the spear's range out to 20 feet
>>While the spear is extended, half of all damage dealt by the spear is dealt to the wielder
Quick. Extend the spear by twenty feat into your opponents hands. Note he is considered as wielding it. Stab yourself on the spear
????
Profit

> (OP)
>Spear of Equal Exchange
>>+2 spear
>>As a command, extend the spear's range out to 20 feet
>>While the spear is extended, half of all damage dealt by the spear is dealt to the wielder
>Extend the spear by twenty feat into your opponents hands.
>Note he is considered as wielding it.
>Stab yourself on the spear
>????
>Profit

You get the features at the specified levels. No delaying, no anticipating.

The design intent is that there aren't supporting rules because it's intended that a relatively new DM, who might not know every single nook and cranny of the system, can fairly make rulings within their own judgement based on how they want their campaign.

I won't say that's entirely good, and once you really know the system well it kinda feels like it'd be nice to have tags so you can determine certain things for sure without getting into a shitlong debate about various parts of text in a book which suggests that maybe this one ability might not work in the incredibly off chance this one event happens, but...

Yes, 5e is simple and maybe doesn't fit people who want to know the system inside out and make solid, definite rulings on everything. There's ups and downs. Seriously, what the fuck is up with their terminology on things such as 'Melee weapon attack' being an attack that doesn't necessarily use a weapon?

>Not making him stab himself for 150% damage

I think his point is that you lack creativity because you need rules to do your thinking for you, that makes you a shit DM.
One of the flaws in 4e is that everything was geared more toward combat rather than outside of combat, why else would the meme you speak of have come into being?

>why else would the meme you speak of have come into being
Not him, but people just wanted to hate on 4E because "it was like WoW" and they were majorly assblasted by all their knowledge and experience from 3X now being worthless.

So many of the criticisms aren't just wrong, they're fucking backwards, like the idea that 4E discourages roleplay. The system encourages you to do whatever you want and gets away from characters being told "no, you can't do that / you're shit at that" because past editions have 20 skills and tables for everything and you have to roll to tie your shoes and I hope you've got a good Dex because the DC is fucking 10 for some arbitrary reason even when you're a level 12 Wizard. On top of that, the books go out of their ways to encourage roleplay more than past editions and explains to DMs and players that they should just go with shit, not get bogged down in statistical minutiae, and otherwise just treat shit like "theater of the mind" systems where everything is ad hoced and arbitrated by the DM/table. The only shit that was heavily quantified was the actual combat, since it was so "tactical" and grid-based.

But you still got "lol 4E is roll-play, not role-play" coming out of the same sick fucks who have three different forms of type-specific Cheesemaking (the processes are totally different for Mozzarella and Gruyere, you know) on their 3X character sheets.

All that aside,
>One of the flaws in 4e is that everything was geared more toward combat rather than outside of combat
There was nothing to say that your ability to turn into lightning and teleport next to a dude and shank him in the liver meant you could only do that with a creature target you intended to murder and not, say, teleport-as-lightning over any gap you fucking wanted out of combat.

I don't lack creativity friend. I can pretty clearly think of any number of possible rulings, equally valid in 5e. The problem is that picking among these rulings feels arbitrary in most situations. Nice reading comprehension though!

See, I actually found it more frustrating as a new DM, because there were tons of rules questions that simply don't have answers, or even hints. As my mastery of the rules increased, the problem decreased, but never really went away.

Then we tried 4e for a bit, and it was so much easier to DM for. I was pretty annoyed, reading the 4e DMG and seeing all the helpful stuff it gave me compared to the 5e DMG. We ended up sticking with 5e for player reasons (smaller group at the time, and it's way easier to find more people for 5e than it is 4e), but I'd prefer to go back if we had the choice.

Yeah I know it's not 5th edition, sue me.

the second part of my post was just repeating the meme, but you do lack creativity if you find shit arbitrary because you have no rules to base shit off of, 5e doesn't want a lot of rules like 4e and 3.pf had/have, it even says in the DMG if you aren't sure just roll with it and common sense dictates if you don't want it repeated say yes this once but never again.

You'll find, as you grow into the adult world, that common sense isn't so common, and that using it as a basis for rulings in rpgs is a recipe for salt. Also, do you know what creativity means?

Been playing Pathfinder for a few years now, never played D&D at all. I'm about to be in a 5e game; what should I expect?

Yeah, creativity is the ability to imagine different ways of doing things particularly in artistic pursuits, and to think of things outside the box, in my view anyway.

BTW I do know that common sense isn't very common, and what we actually mean by common sense is basic logic that seems inherent to those of us somewhat more intelligent than the average and not real common sense which is just basically word of mouth from parents/family to children.

>Yeah, creativity is the ability to imagine different ways of doing things particularly in artistic pursuits, and to think of things outside the box, in my view anyway.

And like I said shitposter-kun, I'm able to do that. But picking between the various options I can think of is ultimately arbitrary.

In the future, please try to understand the words you are using, and how the relate to the other words you are using, and even the words other people are using. It will help your posts be meaningful.

>find steed
It isn't a ritual

You have not displayed that ability to me, but perhaps I was being a bit harsh, I don't actually know you.

I don't consider ruling on things arbitrary, i try to be as fair as is possible, basing my answers and rulings on basic assumptions about how something works/would work if there's no rule for it specifically.

After being bitten by a radioactive witch, Warlockman gained the proportional powers of a witch!

Warlocks deal more damage with their at will blast than a wizard with a cantrip, they couldn't also have much spell casting. Compare them to an ek with a bow instead, less slots bit higher level.

My DM has been complaining recently about how slow D&D combat is. We do have 7 players, but even when he comes to my place and I DM for him and some friends, our group is only 3 people, he thinks combat still feels slow.

Any suggestions? Are there rules for alternative combat rules to make it all go faster?
Or should we just play in a different system?

I think he meant phantom steed (which is superior spell btw)

Give every player ten seconds to decide what they want to do on their turn. It makes it so that while the initiative is going around, they think about what they're going to do.

5e combat is shit. I suggest challenging your players in other ways with the next campaign. For instance, we're running an all rogue party and they're focusing the campaign on heists instead of hits. It's great. We avoid the worst part of 5e, and focus on some of the better ones.

If you insist on doing combat though, some houserules help:

>you have 30 seconds from when I call your turn to take an action, move, and bonus action. If you have haste, or use some other feature that grants you additional actions, you can have an additional 30 seconds. If time is called, any unused actions, move actions, or bonus actions are lost.

>You are not allowed to talk outside of your turn, unless the DM calls timeout for discussion. Any talking done is in character unless timeout is called, or a rules question is being asked of the DM.

I think the best way to help the warlock is to make more cantrips for warlocks that are as worth taking as Eldritch Blast.

Because right now, it seems kinda boring for my friends to play a warlock.
They sit there casting EB and thats it.
Though i don't know if our Bladelocks knows about GFB or BB.

I honestly think giving 2 more cantrips that are as good as EB would result in people taking different invocations.

Though i guess with the new UA invocations kind of make that difficult without adding a shitton of invocations to compensate for customization.

The Assassin's Familiar

A single-use artifact in the shape of a matte black egg that turns a door in to door mimic upon slamming it against a door. It had the ability to become ascended if it was used to absorb the soul of a monster (had to be held by the PC dealing the killing blow and invoked with a bonus action before killing, may be invoked 1 time per week) and increasing the CR of the monster's stats it would copy.

Funny thing, I was running a campaign with this item and it all went to hell.
>group consists of a Paladin, Barbarian, Asshole Rogue and a Cleric
>they roll on through the hideout of a notorious assassin and their gang to do a quick run through
>Asshole Rogue goes superstealth and finds the assassin, ends the fight early
>they loot the lair, and I happened to roll them the Assassin's Familiar
>Asshole Rogue takes it and loads it with a kill every week for 5 weeks and I forget about it

>they get a task to kill Lord McAskingforit
>bring in NPC to start planning their assault on the Lord's keep
>designed the whole keep full of encounters and story tidbits, opportunities
>Asshole Rogue says she wants to go alone and does the whole "Trust me on this"-routine
>group supports this and gets hype
>have no idea what they are planning, but player fun is the most important thing so roll with it
>Asshole Rogue sneaks in to the keep as a maid
>rolls well enough to get to the Lord's quarters
>*SMASH*
>she says "That'd be a total CR of 57" with the biggest grin on their face all game
>fuckfuckfuck I didn't design this properly and didn't plan for the spam beforehand
>not gonna retcon this, fine, let's have a look
>flip a coin between the two 57 CR monsters
>HECATONCHEIRES
>A FUCKING HECATONCHEIRES
>everyone is ecstatic and loses their shit
>Genius Rogue skips away and joins the party to watch the carnage
>Hecatoncheires-Mimic proceeds to kill everything
>EVERYTHING, party is lvl 14
>campaign ends in an epilogue of a Door-dominated wasteland

The best way to fix warlock is twofold:

>merge the bladelock invocations in the PHB with the bladelock feature.
>add more At Will type invocations.

Orcs are still murder machines, but more shamany and tactical. They build armies and wage war. Gnolls are more like a pact of Batman Jokers. Burning for the sake of burning. A better comparison would be Tanaruks which are orcs with a fiendish taint.

Is Veeky Forums still broken or can I post finally

Nope your message is coming in like this:
"** ***** ***** ****** ** *** * **** *******"

I can see your post fine, i dont know about images though.

I'm so sorry.

Did you at least consider earlier editions before ordering for this shit one?

Warlocks are Ranged Charisma Martials, and should be played as such.

That being said, agonizing blast should be inherent, as should the pseudo extra attack invocation. Also, the 'learn a spell' invocations are ass.

I have to make a city map and a world map for the first time ever. Any suggestions?

I've put it off for as long as I could, but the party is going to be doing a lot of open-world shit from now on so it's just unavoidable. Shoot me.

>instead of warlocks being a 2 level dip class, they should only be a 1 level dip class.

Making agonizing blast inherent is so retarded that you could only be Crawford or Mearls.

LOL at designing an item like that and not having a maximum CR or some other limiting feature.

Nigga, i didn't say at level one, but inherent to the class, just like every other class feature.

cantrip scaling by character level was a mistake, hands down.

You have plenty of options.

Grab an actual premade setting. There are many good ones. They have existing worldmaps and citymaps aplenty.

Pick real life places, and rotate them and copy the general geography then make them a large island that's no longer recognizable. Place cities and towns and points of interests on them.

Just use hexographer and make a neat oldschool hexmap.

Go even olderschool and use some colored pencils and just draw something. It doesn't have to be great. The simple fact you made it for your players is good enough.

Or if all else fails, just download random maps from the internets you like the look of. Deviantart for example has literally tens of thousands.

It sort of boggles the mind that they allowed it, when they won't allow extra attacks from martial classes to scale.

So essentially, cantrips scale for the caster multiclasses, but attacks won't scale properly for the martial multiclasses.

>campaign ends with an epilogue of a Door-dominated wasteland

Holy kek

So uhhhhhh, I had a Nothic offer a low level Warlock more power if he betrays the party and I think he's going to do it.

Whoops.

Hey Veeky Forumsenlemen, gonna play a oneshot wirh level 10 pcs and would like some advices for fun fighting builds since I've bever played 5e beyond level 5.
Thanks in advance!

Is UA content allow? Forge cleric is fun

makes perfect sense to me

martials aren't supposed to get too much stronger at high levels, while magic users' power has unlimited potential

I still think Veeky Forums doesn't like temp HP builds or the passive charisma damage you get just by standing there or the Hexblade being perfectly fine as a Melee alternative.

Tell me about your setting's Tarrasque, /5eg/

Do your players know about it? Does anyone in your setting? Where is it currently? Will it make an appearance in your campaign?

You can use a rapier and shield with high strength to combine three fighting styles, rage, reckless attacks, sneak attacks, action surge, hunter's fighting technique, flurry, BM maneuvers, and divine smite on crits. If you took 5 levels in every caster that learns fireball, you could cast fireball. Tell me which one is progressing.

I'm looking to run a chase scene for my adventure, but I didn't like the chase scene rules in the DMG. Has anyone found any chase scene rules they like or found any success in running a chase?