Savage Rifts - Regular Rifts - And other Palladium Shit

Come one, come... well, hopefully it's more than one.

>Savage Rifts

>Classic Rifts

>Other homebrew systems

What are you playing? What's your campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/3wjc3rr9zqufo/Rifts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rifts China -

> More literally hell on earth than some actual hells

> Hell is a massive bureaucracy

>Most relatable eternal punishment ever

I'm sorry, you're going to have to suffer another 1000 years of hot lead torture. You don't have the correct forms.

Maybe next time you'll fill out the paperwork correctly.

>Delicious cheesecake

I just found out that a Ley Line Walker who's occupying a Ley Line is hell on wheels.

...and a medium railgun is quite capable of killing MARS-based PCs in one shot.

Looks more like stale CGI to me.

Fine then

Damage in general is kinda wonky in Savage Rifts. Most of the time an attacks will either have little chance of effecting the target at all, or will be powerful enough that spending an bennie is the only way to survive. The wide range of damage and toughness numbers means that you only occasionally get the two lining up well enough that one or two wounds is a likely outcome.

Holy mother of god, yes. The Ley Line Walker in my current Savage Rifts game is a goddamn monster on a ley line. Start the fight with exalted quickness, then spend your next several actions using boost trait on Spellcasting, draw power points, buff party, rinse and repeat. By the end of any given fight, he's managed to get his Spellcasting up to something like d12+28 and is drawing more PPE as a free action than he can spend.

I only want to say.
Fitting through doors is OP.

They could not possibly have chosen a worse system to reboot Rifts than Savage Worlds. I mean, it's hard to pick a system worse than Savage Worlds in the first place. In terms of generic systems there are FAR better options: GURPS, Cortex, and FATE, to name a few.

Savage Worlds takes a decent core mechanic and lumps on a shitty wild die that is arbitrarily assigned because "muh plot" and fills the character with bennies that require the player to know all of their uses to use effectively. Not to mention, Benny effectiveness is heavily dependent on session length, so if you don't play the recommended 4 to 6 hours the game becomes wildly unbalanced.

The game is full of garbage trap options like in 3.5, the chargen is basically minmaxing Flaws like in GURPS except worse, shotguns are brokenly powerful giving a flat +2 to hit which in this system is basically only missing on a 1. They also do broken-ass damage because of exploding dice. The exploding dice also turn combat into a slogfest occasionally punctuated by someone actually dying; usually from a fucking ridiculous amount of damage.

I played Savage Worlds for a good three years now. Never will play it again, it is an arsed system that is half narrative bullshit, half autistic wargame, and entirely terrible.

Thanks for posting. Fuck off.

Just look at dat ass.

Soooooo......?
I don't even play this system, and this just seems like pointless ranting in response to nothing.
But congrats though, I'm sure you have fun baiting.

>What are you playing?

Classic Rifts.

>What's your campaign?

Inter-dimensional exploration and trade.

I always thought I would be the one to remake Rifts and pull it out of the garbage bin of history. Kind of a bummer really.

>that bullet
Is she... is she making fun of my penis?

title for pic: Moscow Dance Party

Well here's what I've got so far as a re-write.

Damn right.

>What are you playing?
Savage Rifts

>What's your campaign?
The party was sent to investigate how and why Kansas has gone nuts. The place used to be kind of low on ley-lines, but over the last few years it's gone berserk with large numbers of rapidly appearing and vanishing lines and rifts.

>D-B monsters are being puked out like mad. It's got so bad that Kansas-adjacent regions that can't defend themselves are being steadily abandoned. The Coalition is getting a big boost as everyone east of Kansas is screaming for help and will give the Coalition whatever it wants if they'll just send some freaking troops to help.

Have you considered getting the phrase, "I played Savage Worlds for three years and I hate it" tattooed on your forehead?

>GURPS, Cortex, and FATE
GURPS has just as much trouble (if not more) with high powered combat as Savage Worlds. FATE isn't crunchy enough for Rifts. I don't know about Cortex. Not really familiar with that one.

The best bet would probably be a system designed with superheroes in mind. Like HERO or Mutants & Masterminds.

Is there a decent superhero system that also allows mundane characters to be useful?

Not an argument.

The thread was about Savage Rifts as well. More people are playing Savage Rifts than orignial RIFTS system at this point.

Yeah well instead it got sold to one of the shittiest RPGs in history.

No?

Or just rebooting RIFTS and fixing the rules instead of trying to use some godawful """"generic""""" """"system"""" like Savage Worlds.

So, what fixes would you suggest?

Roll a D20 to hit and have fixed damage rolls.

For standard rifts or savage rifts?

>I played Savage Worlds for a good three years now. Never will play it again, it is an arsed system that is half narrative bullshit, half autistic wargame, and entirely terrible.

This man speaks the truth

>Roll a D20 to hit
That's already how it works

>and have fixed damage rolls
Wow is this the late stages of the point buy cancer that killed character creation? Can your autism just not handle random numbers because you might roll a widdle low you pwoor widdle baby?

>Roll a D20 to hit
Rifts already uses a D20 for rolls to hit. Fixed damage might not be a terrible idea, but how you determine damage isn't really one of the system's big problems.

If you're talking about Savage Worlds then you need to elaborate a lot more on what you have in mind. Those changes by themselves wouldn't mesh with the rest of the system.

>fixing savage worlds
You're going to need a final solution

In not sure what fixed damage rolls would fix exactly.

I think it would make sense to have a standard damage progression for weapons of attacks that get more powerful. Also more of a relation between total damage and total armor where you don't get too many drawn out slugging matches.

>1 point of Epic Damage equals 10 points of MD
or 100 points of SDC.
They had something like that as a joke in Rifter 9 1/2.

>tfw you don't read some autist's rules and then they turn out to be hilarious

One thing Savage Rifts did right is make it so that not everything worth having is mega-damage.

MDC is original from the Robotech RPG. Where the point of it was so handle the difference in scale between infantry and giant mechs. So that a bunch of small arms fire isn't going to chip away a mech's hit points.

Then Rifts made it so all high-tech and magic weapon do mega-damage. Which brings it right back to the situations where even the most massive and heavily armored targets are still vulnerable to attrition by enough shots from pistols. The only real purpose of mega-damage in classic Rifts is to illustrate how worthless conventional weapons and armor are.

So in the RAW for standard rifts 1 point of MDC is 100 points of SDC... that would make the differences less crazy, not more. So... What point are you making?

If you play it like a retard, sure. Anyone who's actually played Rifts knows how wrong you are though.

I played Rifts for years. It's clear that when the first few books were written the authors thought SDC gear still had some relevance, but in actual game play it's almost always useless.

Even if you're in a town that required you to disarm, you're probably holding onto a concealed laser pistol or vibro-knife. Unless you're one of the many OCCs/RCCs that has MDC skin, or a caster who can create MDC armor and throw out mega-damage attacks at any time.

Clearly you haven't as you're really wrong, but it's cool, keep on roleplaying your "experienced rifts player" character.

Does your group only play city rats and vagabonds living in the 'burbs? Are you really fond of bar brawls?

If you had ever played Rifts you would know why you're wrong, but it's funny watching you trying and failing to figure it out

>If I just keep asserting my ridiculous claim often enough I don't have to back it up with anything.
Don't you have better things to do than post on Veeky Forums, Mr. President?

You can easily have both kinds of campaigns. Christ.

>I can't figure out why I'm wrong and I'm mad about it and I'm also jealous of the success of donald trump

GURPS does have ways of handling it - Decade Scale and such - that basically refocus the default power level around "superhuman" rather than the default "cinematic human".

Hero and M&M would do well for a lot of RIFTS, but they aren't great for technology or magic systems.

RIFTS is such a mess of power levels and playstyles, that I don't think any coherent conversion can avoid making distinct Tiers Of Play - somewhat like Cthulhutech (but hopefully not as messy).

No, no, don't engage.

This is a pretty old troll who shits up RIFTS threads - a Mega Damage Autist who cannot allow any hint of criticism of RIFTS, and will patiently fill the thread with completely unsupported claims that you're wrong because you're obviously wrong.

So can we actually get back to the real topics? I have to give rifts credit fir one thing. The whole focus on nothing but ablative armor, plus low basic to-hit numbers means almost anyone can contribute at least somewhat to combat. If they can force targets to use up actions on defense they can add even more.

The downside is that any case of fighting a high hit point target can take forever to grind through their hit points.

Hey look it's the obsessive anti-simbedia crusader back again projecting hard as fuck, make sure to report and ignore his posts!

Four guys with rifles can rip down anything in the game besides the big bosses in about one melee round but you'd know this if you had ever played the game

I'm running in a Heroes Unlimited campaign right now, where our characters are a group of mutants on the run from the government and an ancient cult that wants to sacrifice us to dark gods.

A noble endeavor that many have attempted but few have--

>over 100 skills
>d20 system
>still has both PPE and ISP

Well you tried, but now it's time to quit and go home.

Sounds badass

If you run encounters that are just a firing line of guys blasting away non-stop against a target then you have bigger problems than the rule system.

These are fairly detailed, specific and true arguments against Savage Worlds.

I also hate the miniature-based movement, "3 HP for everything", the bennies system (and nomenclature) in general and rolling anything with d4s. Also idiotic and needlessly complex that so many feats are just skills or circumstantial bonuses.

That said, Savage Rifts is still miles better than classic Rifts and I'm going to give it a shot in the next few months.

>I'm still really mad that I don't know what I'm talking about

Wow I feel bad for you at this point

Found the autist.

Case in point.

>tfw ignoring a retard is making said retard really mad

This is actually one of my only complaints about the real Rifts rules. An actual Coalition squad is so insanely strong that they just massacre everything unless crowd control gets applied somehow.

No wonder the CS hates mages and psychics so much, the CC they use is super effective against their otherwise insanely powerful soldiers.

If I were to rewrite Rifts I'd just make it so that small arms (even energy weapons) don't do anything to vehicle-tier armor.

They do mention that in a number of places. One guy in standard armor is like an infantry fighting vehicle. A whole squad is like a company.

The only problem is, thats true for every squad that everyone can muster. Hence winding up with such dragged out conbats when you use the suggested squad sizes and full undamaged armor levels.

>soldiers do too much damage
>that's why combat drags out too long
???

Try running it sometime.

Its not that they do too much damage. They're powerful in both weapons and armor.

So you're saying that they don't do enough damage now? Which is it, boyo?

You're confused. Being powerful doesn't just mean damage. It can mean weapons armor and other factors. Try to keep up.

Sounds like you're just making shit up now, I guess that's why that guy was making fun of you for not knowing what you're talking about

>you don't agree with me so you're misinformed

That's adorable.

Yep, he's right, you really are just making shit up. Pretty funny imo.

>obvious samefag is obvious

Sure. "He"

>you are entirely correct so I'll pretend you are the other guy who also laughed at me
>that'll show you

Way to admit it.

What is this meme that "conbat" in rifts takes too long? They actually changed the rules in ultimate edition to help keep players alive longer because of how fast stuff dies

They changed it so that hitting wasnt 95% assured by default if the target didn't dodge. That was just for the insanity of being basically unable to miss if the target was out of actions.

No they didn't, almost all attacks still hit on 4.

16 chances out of 20 is 80%, young man. Stay after school and clean the blackboard.

Which specific changes are you referring to?

So the change was...?

It's almost as if you should know this if you really have played Rifts before.

I fucking love the Splicers setting. Is the book and rules actually good though?

Or he's mistaken if its that easy to bring up and he can't. But hey I guess we'll never know.

Yes. It's rumored that Walton is doing work on new Splicers material too.

Fuck yes. I love his art. I actually backtracked to RIFTS through him, and then eventually to here.

Hell yeah, Chuck's the best. I can't imagine what Rifts would be like if he was working for Palladium years ago (not that he's old enough to have been working then)

>What are you playing?
would probably use a different system for it, but definitely want to run a game in the Splicers setting, which if you don't know about it is basically Terminator meets Guyver meets Fallout

it's definitely a good book, and I imagine it's better than RIFTS as a game if mostly because of it's tighter focus, but still a bit too much for my tastes in terms of crunch, I'd probably port it to a different system(what that system would be I'm not sure yet)

yeah his art is great

Its kind of frustrating how good some of the art is in their recent releases.

Yeah I can't imagine how it must feel to be staring down the barrel of the finest RPG ever written in human history and knowing that no matter how hard I try I will never, ever be smart enough to run or even play it.

That must be horrible for you.

...what on earth are you autofellating about?

I love Palladium's Fan-Friends. Their fanaticism make even the most hardened 3aboo or 4rry seem like reasonable people.

I know you're being ironic but is there anything actually good about RIFTS or its other games?

I hate begging but is there any MEGA dump of RIFTS?

RIFTS: EVEN THE PIRACY IS MEGA

mediafire.com/folder/3wjc3rr9zqufo/Rifts

You best be careful or I'll get the Robotech backers to drive another of Kevvy's buttbuddies to suicide.

>I'm so obsessively assblasted about a roleplaying game that I'm glad an old man tried to kill himself

KEK