Yu-gi-oh tabletop?

So Veeky Forums How would you go about making a Yu-gi-oh tabletop RPG game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pUjoFTonQ6w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably start by having my dick surgically changed into a pocky dispenser.

I see. I was thinking more things like "Do you play as the monsters, or as people controlling them?" or, "Should the game take place in a fantasy world with real monsters or should it be semi-realistic and yugioh is still just a card game?" But this is a good start.

>Should the game take place in a fantasy world with real monsters or should it be semi-realistic and yugioh is still just a card game

This. you roleplay the characters in the yu gi oh world and battle eachother with your decks of cards

Why not just play the regular game?

Paradox-billiards-vostroyan-fourth dimensional-hypercube-chess-strip poker?

Alright, so with that out of the way, should the game be realistic or magical?

-Keep it real dawg. The game is set in the real world. No shadow games, the monsters aren't real ect.

-Go full anime. It is perfectly acceptable for a police officer to let someone go because the criminal was able to beat them in a card game, shadow games are a thing, what do you mean "banned card?".

-Just fuck my shit up. Set in a world where cards are magical artifacts or something like that, allowing you to actually summon monsters and cast spells. For example, you could cast trap hole at someone and summon a gigantic hole that they fall into.

I feel very odd admitting this but I really like Arc V.
I just started watching and I'm actually enjoying myself. I didn't think it was possible.

Only saw the first episode or so. Didn't really care for it.
Does it get better later on?

This is the worst option though. All you're doing at that point is playing the game normally, but being flamboyant about it like you're trying to be a sports super star or something. Maybe good for RP, but it doesn't inspire much.

Arc V is hit or miss. If you're interested in seeing a new spin on the show's game and the prior three seasons before it, you might be keen to take a look. As far as ranking against its predecessors go, I think it only third place among the five shows that have aired, but it could be worse.

If none of these are appealing, feel free to come up with something else.

Saw a homeless guy today sitting on a venting grate on the sidewalk. He was trying to keep warm, but also flipping through a deck's worth of Yugioh cards. Flipping through them fast and angrily.

Twas very odd. Thought I'd share.

How did you know he was homeless?

read up on the duel terminal lore and set an rpg in that setting. someone already made a start for you here youtube.com/watch?v=pUjoFTonQ6w

>Do you play as the monsters
See. This is the correct choice right here

Arc V is crap in the first few episodes, but quickly gets better. after episode 52 though it just goes back downhill again, it has some good duels after that but that's the only redeeming quality.

Man, I was kinda excited, you bastard. You almost never see turn-based RPGs with more than 4 party members in battle, let alone 6.

Dungeon Dice Monsters

Well. Time to repost this, then. Bare with me, this is multi-part.

CHILDREN'S CARD GAMES King of Games 033113(Sun)1413 No.23978738

So, tg, a while back, I worked up an RPG based on Trollbabe that was essentially Yugioh The RPG. Now, this game isn't so much based on the card game as it is more based on the television show that's more about card games than Yugi straight up murdering people in magnificent catch 22's.

I call it Children's Card Games. Rules to follow.
Playing is simple Roll a single d10 and try and get above or below a number based on one you choose at character creation. You have three stats Card Games, Bullshit, and Friendship.

Card Games is rolled whenever you’re playing Children’s Card Games and you’re actually playing with skills and forethought. This is the legitimate method of playing the game, usually obeying all the rules.

Bullshit is rolled whenever you’re playing Children’s Card Games and you’re playing with the game by imposing your (the player’s) will upon the rules of the card game and essentially pulling shit out of your ass.

Friendship is rolled whenever you’re attempting to support others and doing social things or even being a friend and ally to someone.

When you create a Children’s Card Game character, you pick a number between 2 and 9. This number determine what happens when you roll. Say, you pick a 6 as your number. When you Roll Card Games, you try to roll ABOVE a 6. When you roll Bullshit, you try to roll your d10 and get a result BELOW 6. When rolling Friendship you roll the better of the two, meaning that you would want to roll BELOW a 6 in this case. As another example, if your number is 3, you try to roll ABOVE a 3 for Card Games, BELOW a 3 for Bullshit, and ABOVE a 3 for Friendship.

The second step is to choose a specialty for each of your stats. These specialties add a little flair, giving your character some style. They also have the benefit of allowing you to use your number for the roll and count it as a beneficial result. If your number is 7 and you roll a 7 on a Bullshit test and a specialty in Summoning Tricks, you get to count it as a successful roll if you’re trying to bullshit out a creature on your turn.

Finally, you decide the two things about your character and their deck. If your character was an example of a trope, what would they be The answer is your Character Shtick. What’s the central theme of your character’s deck It could be certain creature types or even a name-type of creatures like toons or Gemini creatures. The answer is your Deck Theme. These are used for two of your per game Rerolls.

RULES INBOUND

CONFLICTS
When you come into conflict, either via card games or in general peril, the GM sets the stakes. These stakes are what happens if you win a conflict or lose a conflict. If you start a Children’s Card Game in the Shadow Realm, the stakes are very obvious. You lose, you get your soul stolen. You win, you get to keep your soul and the other guy loses his. Sometimes the stakes are a little less well defined. Your GM sets the stakes of your card game or other challenge and such things are decided by the roll of a single d10 with success being victory and failure meaning you have to accept the loss.

If a conflict calls for playing by the rules or physical challenges, roll Card Games. If a conflict calls for a character playing dirty or calling into question their cleverness, then roll Bullshit. If a conflict calls for someone relying on their friends or being social somehow, whether with diplomacy or subterfuge, roll Friendship.

Playing a card game is a special case, going by a turn by turn basis. It starts with the players rolling Card Games to determine who has the Advantage. The winner starts off with one Advantage box marked. If both players succeed, then the one who rolled the highest wins. If the tie persists, then neither of them get the Advantage.

Players go turn by turn with the one that scored Advantage going first, describing actions and each player gets one roll using either Bullshit or Card Games. If they succeed, then their action goes off and they mark of an Advantage box. If the player fails, then their action is somehow spoiled and they clear off a marked off Advantage box. When you mark off all 5 Advantage boxes, you can go for the final roll which lets you mark off the Victory box. At that point, you either succeed or fail and accept the consequences of the conflict.

REROLLS
If you’d fail a roll, you can always mark off a reroll box. You have five specific boxes, one based on your Character Shtick, one on your Deck Theme, and three that refer to A Lucky Draw, A Remembered Combo, and Fucking Dumb Luck. One can apply each Reroll to all three stats, depending on how you, spin it. A Friendship reroll based on A Lucky Draw means you could have hit upon someone’s social soft spot and made some headway.

Keep in mind You may attempt to reroll a single failed action up to THREE TIMES. If you fail the reroll once you become injured or at a disadvantage and if you choose not to take a second reroll, your goal remains unaccomplished. If you succeed, the GM describes your success. If you fail a second reroll in a row, they you do not meet your goal and you become incapacitated in some way and you have the option of trying to make a third and final reroll. If you fail this last reroll the GM describes your epic failure OR you describe your character's death. Success on this final allows the player to describe your failure but the goal is not achieved.

INJURY
If you would fail a reroll, and you take no other rerolls, you accept an injury of some type. If you fail the first one, the injury is minor and disappears at the end of a scene. In a physical capacity, this means you're brusied and lightly scraped, mental injuries are often inflicted fear or being stunned temporarily, while social injuries are temporarily damaged friendships. Failed second rerolls are much harsher and slightly debilitating. Physical injuries include broken limbs and unconsciousness, Mental injuries are often bouts of madness, and social injuries include almost friendship ending arguments. Failed third rerolls often have heavy fates. Physical injuries from these fates include near death experiences and permanently crippled limbs, mental ones include long lasting madness and catatonia, and social injuries of this magnitude result in even the best of friends becoming bitter enemies.

Initial injuries recover after a scene, while second reroll related ones heal after a story is completed. Third failed reroll injuries often last for a long series of stories, if not for the rest of your character's life.

THE PRE-GAME
After outlining your character's Shtick and their deck's theme, you should work out the cards your deck is filled out with. A deck has 60 cards in it with three types of cards Creature, Spell, and Trap cards. Creature cards are beasts and creatures that you attack your opponents with to reduce their life point total over the course of the narrative of the duel. Spell cards have unusual effects and can do things that creatures cannot do. Trap cards have specific triggers and when they are triggered, their effects activate. Such tricky cards are placed face down.

Roll a d10 + Your Number and detail that many cards in your deck. You can have multiples of a card (Up to four) as you round out your decklist. You have the option of leaving some cards a mystery, and figuring them out when you need to with a successful Bullshit roll in play or giving them effects when you've got some downtime.

If you so desire, you may detail your relationships with the other players, designating them as best friends, rivals, the one guy you secretly hate, or even your secret crush. Discuss these relationships with your fellow players and GM to better flesh things out. If you have trouble deciding things, ask what the other player characters would think about your character and if they had any history together. if you decide on it, you can also detail NPCs that your character would know and can play a part in the game.

And that's all. Enjoy.

Follow what Kazuki did

>Zorc is evil demon king
>All characters, enemies, artifacts and items are Yugioh cards
>Players choose their favorite monster card to play as but a higher level monster gives them lower starting Life Points
>Uses a "Life Point" system in which Mana is Equal to HP
>Characters collect cards along their journey
>"Heart of the Cards" - Instead of a saving roll you shuffle and draw a card from your saved up cards
>Since your deck can get filled up with junk cards and ruin the heart of the cards you can convert cards into currency in special locations

Yup. There is an actual Dungeon Dice tabletop game since 2002

I've actually wanted to play a yugioh campaign for a while, focusing on summoning actual monsters
>pick whichever simple point-buy system you want from 1d4chan... i've noticed giant guardian generation and super robot taisen iwaku would work well for this kind of thing since they have pilot/mecha, which can be refluffed to character/deck or character/monster. That dnd 4e retroclone that people use to play touhou could also work, what was it's name again?
>have your players build their characters and build some monsters using the mecha stats for them. I'd reccomend medium powered characters and each player having a weak monster that can help summon other monsters, a stronger, readily summoneable monster, a strong monster they have to spend some resource to put out, and an enhanced version of the strong monster. These can be their favorite monsters from their decks, which could be like, quilbolt hedgehog, junk synchron, junk warrior and stardust dragon if you really want to be like yusei for example.
>give each player 2 or 3 special skills that represent magic/trap cards
>make it so they are duelists transported to some dimension where the monsters are real, and they can actually stick monsters they beat to empty cards(which would be some rare spells of pocket dimension, so they have to juggle which monsters they want to keep since they wouldn't have many of those pocket dimensions).
>give them each 1 normal summon per turn, make them spend resources like willpower to special summon.
I think it could work

I've run an RPG campaign. Everyone died at the end.

No need to. Card Ranker already exists. Motorcycles are optional, but supported.

This is actually pretty interesting.

Dungeon Dice Monsters obviously.

I certainly thought so. That's why I saved the text.

Especially if your players have seen Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged series, this probably appeals to the interest in playing characters who go full bullshit.

I actually toyed with the idea of not just a Yu gi oh RPG but an RPG to play other mon/cardgame shows but I haven't actually done anything with it due lack of interest and people to playtest it with.

I had some overly complicated ideas, at the core there will be a card game but the card games mechanics will interwind with the players, like mana being a stat or certain character types having an affinity for certain creature types or spell types.
Outside of duels I wanted some simple social skill mechanics and enviromental observation mechanics

I don't know. Have some random ideas:

I turn the different Monster types into levels.

Normal Monster = 1-5
Summoned Monster = 6-10
Ritual Monster = 11-20

The higher you go in level gives you more Stars.
The stars that you get are all used as counters allowing you to use Spell/Trap Cards.

3 Stars = You can use Swords of Revealing Light
X Stars = Etc Traps/Spells

Synchros/Fusion is with the PC and a NPC companion they have, giving them an edge in battle for X-Amount of Hrs or time. Which comes loaded with its own Spells/Traps.

I tried Veeky Forums I haven't played Yu-g-oh since GX.

The whole game is getting massively overhauled again. There's also Xyz, Pendulum, and now there's going to be a Link mechanic.

I still think how they handled Synchro was a mistake.

Bump of intetest

Something like proposed.

I wouldn't overcomplicate things too much. Keep the focus on the card game.

I would write the campaign like some kind of tournament narrative where people competing in, for example, Battle City comes in mind. Hand out different themed starter decks maybe even structure decks and give players a small amount of money as a reward for winning. With this money, they can buy new cards (prices based on online stores) and this way build up their decks.

You could add the usual drama and side quests that happen in this kind of narrative, but every conflict will be naturally solved through duels. Add special rules to some duels to spice up the whole thing.

One thing I forgot to add:

One thing that I liked about the 5Ds show, have been the 3vs3 duels. Where it was 1vs1 but if one player loses the next player from the team has to compete and the winner has to go on with the life points from his last duel.

Players have to manage their decks together and make a plan how to beat their opponents.

There is a fuckton of stuff you can do. The really hard thing for the GM is to build all the decks for their opponents.

Protip: Unless you diversify the thing so that everyone is involved in some side-action, tournament arcs are awful in group games. Nobody likes having to wait their turn.

In general, duels are meant to be one on one. This actually makes it not good for any group activities unless you streamline it. Dueling as a vehicle to move the plot, rather than being the focus of gameplay is the right way to go.

Trust me, I've been examining this for way too many years now.

Childrens Card Games is the way to go

I also have an idea for a similar campaign.
During the day is a family friendly tournament and spectacle for the citizens and at night people duel to death for their cards

I tought about this too and imagine rule variations to make duels shorter