>Pastebin with resources and so on
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12458334
media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf
d1bf78c87087c77d76ca-be4120a00702a7d33079a120750230c5.r45.cf1.rackcdn.com/Plane Shift Innistrad SFG_2.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

strawpoll.me/12458334

So, which of the B-list classes of 3.5 and 4e should be introduced to 5e?

Lets talk houserules. Current ideas:
-Thrown weapons can be drawn as ammunition.
-A hand holding a spellcasting focus can be used for somatic components, even if the spell doesn't require a focus.
-Berserker barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest.
-Dice that don't land on your playing surface are treated as having the worst possible roll (so if you reroll ones and two's, it counts as a three.) (Possibly too harsh? Enforced rerolls no matter what it landed on seems better.)

Most of those should probably be archetypes. Aside from psionic classes, they're not really different enough to be standalone (duskblade is some flavor of either EK or Bladesinger, for example). That said, I'd love a class styled after the 4e Ardent; lead from the front, granting healing and temp HP to your allies as you lay into enemies. Maybe I should work on this.

Summoner when?

I houserule that everyone can attempt to use a spell scroll, even if their class doesn't have it on their list or can't cast at all. They have to make an ability check using Int, Wis or Cha (depending on the classes that spell is available to), check DC equals 11+spell level. I also use the Scroll Mishaps variant.

/pfg/ is waiting.

Beast master is best master.

UA Artificer

Alchemist vs Gunsmith?

But I don't want to go to /pfg/. I just like the concept because I'm a weeaboo

Beast master is hot garbage. A summoner class based on having a persistent minion and supporting that minion through spells and abilities is a neat idea, but very hard to balance. It either gets stupidly OP like pathfinder's summoner, or underpowered like beastmaster (arguably, chainlock also fills this archetype, albeit poorly.)

Conjuration Wizard.

Reposting!

I have developed a Legendary Greataxe for one of my big bad barbarian characters? How does this sound?

The Catalyst

A sentient, +2 Greataxe that will return to attuned wielder if moved more than 10 feet away from them.Your rage bonus damage is equal to your proficiency bonus. Your weapon attacks deal an extra 1d8 radiant damage. You become proficient in persuasion and deception skill checks while attuned to this weapon.

It also requires a DC: 20 Wisdom saving throw when attuned to otherwise it will take control of the attuned wielder until a greater restoration spell or something similar is cast on them.

You and me user. I don't weeb post here, but I eagerly await the day the general slips into weebdom.

Gonna repost this here for some visibility.

Can someone help me understand something?

>DM creates a priestess character to help out our party
>Turns out she's a lesbian and attracted to our catgirl shifter (played by a dude and with a Japanese name)
>The catgirl never makes a roll to notice
>Eventually they end up alone studying a book about werewolves
>DM does the usual "roll to pick up the hint, you don't understand" thing
>But then he does it again
>And again
>And again
>Five minutes straight of trying to force the relationship in
>The player seems in on it but keeps fucking up
>Eventually they finally get it on after all this shit
>Fade to a midnight battle with the rest of our party while the shifter fucks the priestess in a different house
>DM later claims he balanced the fight for a full party fight
>Four shadow creatures
>There would've been four of us in the room if our Cleric made it that day

What the fuck do I even do? It's a fucking weird magical realm kind of thing going on, but they both seem to be trying to get it going and being a part of the plot even though the shifter's roleplaying in this and every senario is basically just "I say what I want to happen and roll."

Well, a lot of classes from 3.5 have been turned into archetypes for 5e.

>Archivist
Wizard archetype. Wouldn't that be Lore Mastery though?
>Beguiler
Bard archetype. Maybe the College of Glamor is already that?
>Binder
That's either a new archetype for Warlock or a GOOlock.

Etcetera.

The only classes worthy of being classes there are Warlord, Shaman, Soul Knife and Dread Necromancer (although probably under a new name). Maybe Factotum too.

Your DM and the player are both autistic
Either call them out, quit, or ideally do both

>good at fightin
>casts spells
>heals
>good number of skills
>team pet
You're just a hater.

What about Incarnate and the like, though? Those don't really fit anywhere in the current mechanics.

>The Catalyst
Sounds very cool, but not really Legendary. Very Rare at the most. Legendary items should really have more than that, a few spells maybe? Instead of the skill proficiencies, why not some enchantment spells like Suggestion, Command, Calm Emotions lol.

This is all about the spoiler:

The saving throw only when attuned isn't good design on a sentient weapon. Firstly, it should be a Charisma save to dominate the wielder. Secondly, it's not fun if you just roll once when attuning. Sentient weapons are NPCs, they have agendas andwills of their own. Whenever their wielder does something they don't like, they can just shut down their properties. Whenever their wielder won't do something they want, they can try to dominate them and force them to do it with a Cha save.

Not that guy but Incarnate is retarded bullshit that shouldn't be in this edition in any form
>Beginning at 2nd level, you can bind your soulmelds to your chakras
I never want to read something like this sentence ever again

3.5 archivist was a scholarly divine caster, so it'd be closer to theurge. I like the others though.

Warlord and the 4e Ardent could be archetypes of the same class, though you'd lose the ardent's psionic flavor if it was pure martial. Shaman should be a druid archetype based around spirits. Soulknife would make a good monk archetype, but it'll probably be a mystic archetype. Dread Necro would be a great archetype for a summoner class.

Factotum's 'i can do everything' shtick rubs me the wrong way. Just play a bard.

I'm not saying it's GOOD that it's garbage. It's a classic archetype that should be usable.

>Binder
>That's either a new archetype for Warlock or a GOOlock.
This is incredibly wrong.

The closest thing to Binders mechanically right now is Mystics. Binders should no more be rolled into Warlocks than Clerics (they make pacts with gods, duh-hurr) or Paladins (they make pacts with concepts, guhhhhhh).

I thought that the Warlord is already working fine as Fighter archetype. Or is battlemaster missing some necessary components?

>>Turns out she's a lesbian and attracted to our catgirl shifter (played by a dude and with a Japanese name)

I can see your problem from here

The terminology was dumb, but I liked the mechanics behind it.

They're talking about the 4e warlord, a martial combatant that heals and buffs allies. Battlemaster is similar in that it has special maneuvers, but a proper warlord would be more like a more fighty bard, granting inspiration and healing while fucking up orcs.

>Battlemaster is the only Fighter archetype good for anything even remotely different
>so of course every PrC adaptation boils down to "lol just play a Battlemaster"
Holy shit why didn't they just make martial die standard, FUCKING playtesters

Summoner Class is just a Moon Druid with a Human Familiar.

play a valor bard

It's close, but not close enough. A proper warlord would keep something like inspiration, but trade in the spells for things like taking your action to order an ally to attack, or granting healing or temporary HP to nearby allies when you kill a foe.

I mean, you're not wrong, Valor Bard is fun and about as close as you can get, and you can refluff the spells however you like.

W A R L O R D
Because we really need some active support with healing riders
Because we really need more non-magical healing
Because Being a bomb ass battle leader who makes his friends cool by leading by example is fucking rad
Because we really could use a martial leader type

valor bard with martial adept

Why do people keep repeating this unfunny joke?

A Battlemaster devoted to support is far from optimal. Banneret is the closest you'll get to a decent martial archetype made to support the team.

But it's still a fighter first and foremost. When people say they want a Warlord, they want the following:
>A martial class without access to spells.
>A class that provides support and benefits to allies in combat.
>A class that relies on Intelligence or Charisma, which are rarely used by martials.
>A class with the flavor of being a leader of men first and foremost, rather than a warrior first and foremost or someone imbued with supernatural power first and foremost.

Reminder that Mearls considers the "warlord issue" closed with the release of the Purple Dragon Knight.

Play a Purple Dragon Knight. Or a Paladin, since what you're describing is basically "Auras"

But bard is a spellcasting class. Chucking fireballs and singing people to death really isn't "warlordy."

Right?

Well lets see
>level 1
Healing Word, Cure Wounds, and Heroism.

>level 2

Enhance Ability, Lesser Restoration, See Invisibility.
>level 3
Nothing really comes to mind, unless you think a martially themed character should have some way of using Dispel Magic.
>level 4
Freedom of Movement.
>level 5
Greater Restoration, Legend Lore, Mass Cure Wounds.
>level 6
True Seeing.
>level 7
Regenerate. Not very "low magic" overall, but fortunately losing limbs isn't easy in 5e.
>level 8
Mind Blank
>level 9
Foresight and Power Word Heal. But its gonna be Foresight.

For the most part, there should be no problem playing a Bard as a Warlord, buffs or no buffs. Most of their abilities are some variation of inspiring and advising people, and the best bard buffs are almost all things that can be styled as exceptional rather than supernatural.

But PDK doesn't do anything?????????
Shit, Stone Sorcerers are better Warlords.

Warlord did shit like "when you charge an enemy, allies who can see you can charge with their reaction" and "make a ranged weapon attack. One ally who can see you can move their speed towards the same target and make an attack as a reaction."
Unlike Battlemaster who was more about just controlling the battlefield at large, Warlord is more about making the best of your allies, using them as resources and offense.
Rather than getting a multiattack they could get something like "Allies within CHA mod x 5 feet of you gain an additional reaction during your turn."

>-A hand holding a spellcasting focus can be used for somatic components, even if the spell doesn't require a focus.
That's not a houserule. The PHB says explicitly the hand holding your focus can also provide somatic components.

Describe to me the combination of printed mechanics that will allow a paladin to point to an ally, say 'you, attack', and then the ally attacks with a bonus. Because that's what warlords do.

Our reasoning for the Worst Roll Possible for dice that fall off the table is that one player who launches his dice like he's trying to throw them into the ninth dimension. When we implemented that rule it was to get him to throw dice like a normal person

It's kind of murky wether that applies to ALL spells, or just spells that require material components.

Ok, that's perfectly valid.

martial adept

And while no class can do everything they could in 4e, valor bards have it all pretty much covered.

I don't particularly want to make this item any stronger than It is so I might drop the rarity to very rare. That feel when the barbarian is half Paladin.

So about the spoiler: It's not really an item designed for the good-natured party as its evil and I don't think my players would use it if they figure out how it works, but I will change it to charisma, and I'll consider making it multiple saving throws. Thanks!

>-Thrown weapons can be drawn as ammunition.
>-Berserker barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest.
Best ones of the bunch.

>Martial adept with commander's strike
>'When you take the attack action'
Nope, wrong.

How do you guys deal with selling and purchasing magic items in 5e usually? Or just money in general? It doesn't seem as adherent to higher magic campaigns or something like Eberron.

>martial adept
Is one of the worst feats out there and a complete waste of your ASI. Shut up.

Martial Adept is only good for people who already have superiority dice

Again, that doesn't quite make warlord what people want.
Warlord didn't Inspire people, he did attacks and actions that made other people do other actions.
Chase the Arrow is one of the earlier level ones, where you shot one guy and allies who could see you could use their reaction to run at the same guy and make an attack.

Use it at levels 1-4.

Giving people attacks would be largely useless in 5e as well, due to how stingy the game is about reaction and bonus actions. Most people already have their bonus actions and reactions planned out already, making the more extreme warlord powers largely useless.

Classic example is how GWM PAMmers can barely use cleaves since they're too busy hitting people with sticks.

>Again, that doesn't quite make warlord what people want.

If the warlord appeared in 5e, it would be largely irrelevant in feat oriented games or alongside the battlemaster.

>Warlord didn't Inspire people,

derp

Why would you need to tie it to your allies' reactions?

Warlord takes his action to command an ally to attack, the ally attacks without spending any actions of his own. It should be a force multiplier.

>Why would you need to tie it to your allies' reactions?

Because fucking EVERYTHING in 5e extra action wise competes for reaction or bonus action. Even 2WF. Even Haste. Even NotCleave.

>the ally attacks without spending any actions of his own

spells, (printed) class features, and feats can't get around the bonus/reaction thing, and the warlord NPC and all similar monster/NPC type things likewise face the same limit

not gonna happen

Going in order of popularity:

>Warlord
Actually would work well. Maybe could focus on spending hit dice for healing, as they're not doing anything specifically magical, they're just pushing their allies past their normal limits. Alternatively it could just be normal healing, but having a nonmagical healer is an absolutely fantastic idea in general.

>Binder
As much as I love this class, its flavor and mechanics are almost entirely covered by the Warlock.

>Avenger
If we're talking about the 3.5 Avenger, this can be done by being an Assassin Rogue. If 4e, a Vengeance Paladin (your DM might allow your spellcasting to be dependent on Intelligence if you explain your reasoning).

>Factotum
An overall interesting class. I'm not sure how it would be implemented into 5e, but I guarantee it's nowhere near as hard as I think it would be.

>Warden
Ancients Paladin

>Dread Necromancer
The PHB Necromancer was based on this class. There's too little to add.

>Warmage
Arcana Cleric 1/Sorcerer X

>Soulknife
Still waiting on Psionics before I actually have an opinion here.

>Shaman
I think I saw a pretty good homebrew for this a while back, but it plays more like a warlock than its 3.5 equivalent.

Lemme use some proper examples.
>"The target can make a melee basic attack against you as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack. If the target makes this attack, an ally of your choice within 5 squares of the target can make a basic attack against the target as a free action and has combat advantage for the attack"
>Hit: "3[W] + Strength modifier damage. Each ally within 5 squares of you gains a +1 power bonus to all defenses until the end of the encounter." /Effect: "Each ally within 5 squares of you gains temporary hit points equal to 5 + your Charisma modifier."
As you can see they're more than just "hey ally, make an attack."
Warlord is a completely different animal than Bard or Battlemaster. In fact, the Commanding strike was based off a level 1 at-will effect from Warlord.

Then fucking make it like the chainlock: When you take the attack action, you can forgo one of your attacks to allow an ally within [some range] to make an attack. As you get extra attacks, you can enable more allies. Fucking done, there's the basic mechanic you can build the class around.

Does anyone have the link to the charoptions? It does not seem to be in the mega.

>Binder's flavor and mechanics are covered almost entirely by the Warlock
What

I found out I get a free feat at level one in this game so I suddenly have more options for my Zealot Barbarian.

GWM and PAM are overdone so I was looking at either taking Dual-Wielding feat or Shield Master. I could also look at the Spear, Flail, Sword or Fell handed UA ones but I'd rather not. I'm just wondering which of my options are best?

Actually not a bad idea.

I just said this elsewhere but now that I'm looking at the 4e warlord powers, I'm starting to see how the class could work in 5e
Think like this
>First level fighting style
>Second Level you gain Exploits, a resource in similar scaling to Ki, and some basic maneuvers and shit
>Third level is archetype that determines your Exploits' main stat, be it INT, WIS, or CHA, and the class starts gaining maneuvers and exploits that use your Exploit stat and have saving throws and stuff.

Heck you could even toss in an archetype that uses STR and bounces around with debuffs like "Make Them Bleed" to give a Hex-like DOT that allies can also use too.

Which page on the DMG has the table that shows what players start with depending on the fantasy type? Like, 5th level players starting with 500GP and one uncommon magical item.

>-Thrown weapons can be drawn as ammunition.
Seems fine. I'd use it myself if it mattered for my group.
>-A hand holding a spellcasting focus can be used for somatic components, even if the spell doesn't require a focus.
I use this as well, and I think this saves a number of weird edge cases with your Interact With Object.
>-Berserker barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest.
It's a pretty good fix IMO, they're a little weak base.
>-Dice that don't land on your playing surface are treated as having the worst possible roll (so if you reroll ones and two's, it counts as a three.) (Possibly too harsh? Enforced rerolls no matter what it landed on seems better.)
I just force rerolls, I think that's too harsh.

Dual Weilding makes the most of your pitiful lack of bonus actions (but unfortunately also doesn't give you the fighting style, meaning your damage and attack rolls would take a small hit)

Spear master makes Spears the single best versatile weapon in the game (and also gives you great use with a shield)
Swordmaster makes you a rad reaction tank guy
Fell Handed makes the most of your reckless attack by Prone locking enemies and making them just feel bad about themselves.

Page 38, bottom of the page

Ah, thanks. I'm shit at finding things sometimes.

I retract my statement about this being too harsh. It's a very good rule in this case.

I was thinking of going with Dual Wielding and maybe picking up Fell handed at level 4 or 8 actually. Also my attack rolls won't take a hit, only no ability modifier to damage.

Right, that.
I started with 4e and TWF was a bit weird there, but I always confuse the two.

>Coordination
>You can design elaborate combat maneuvers with others through commands in the midst of battle. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains a Coordinated Action.
>Once within the next minute, the creature can choose to use the Coordinated Action whenever it would normally use a reaction. When an ally uses a Coordinated Action, they can't use one again until the start of their next turn.
>You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Combine this with silly little things that allow an ally to use their reaction to move when you move, attack a creature when you attack a creature or whatever else and you've got a Warlord that would allow for the existence of a much more diverse action economy.

Reading the articles on this Plane Shift stuff, I'm curious. Is this the first 5e MTG and D&D crossover? The website's article description implies there were previous ones.

Is there anyway that I could play as a sumo wrestler? Monk really doesn't seem to fit the fighting style

There's a Zendikar one and an Innistrad one. Zendikar's is pretty cool and the Art book for it is full of cool ideas for quests.

Yes.

Previously, they wanted to keep the two franchises very, very separate.
WotC is a game about fighting monsters with your friends.
MtG is a game about fighting friends with your monsters.
Apparently, that means they're absolutely impossible to cohesively crossover, until now.

There's one for each plane that has been covered in an official MTG artbook, and that will likely be the trend going forward as well.

>D&D and a game about fighting monsters with your friends
>WotC is a game company that's about to fight you and your friends for money.
ftfy

>Artificer living in a midsize city
>Living comfortably as a Butcher thanks to his prized invention, ButcherBot, doing most of the heavy lifting (literally and figuratively) while he handles the business side of things
>At some point he finds himself cornered at swordpoint by some rude dudes in his shop, panics, and says "Process them!"
>Cue ButcherBot demonstrating that a 10 foot tall machine man built to take cows apart does the same to people size enemies with frightening speed

Here's where my backstory hits a snag.

Do I go with
>people who get dismantled were the Thieves Guild shaking them down for "protection money", they now need to flee their hometown because of it

Or

>Their city was attacked by Bandits/Orcs/Gnolls and ButcherBot ended up saving the town (with the help of the guards)
>They were "rewarded"* by the city with an official military rank and given new duties
>*Rewarded as in "if you don't give us the schematics for this golem you can either rot in a cell or work for us with that machine
>They're now a reluctant adventurer on a job for the crown

Thanks, it's four thirty in the morning.

And where is it, if not on the Wizards Articles page?

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf

d1bf78c87087c77d76ca-be4120a00702a7d33079a120750230c5.r45.cf1.rackcdn.com/Plane Shift Innistrad SFG_2.pdf

It's on the Magic side of the wotc site, because the author is on the Magic team, not the D&D team.

What kind of stats are you making for the bot? Also more drawings, cause seeing big robots butcher people is awesome (especially if you draw it ripping the skull off an elf).

>Warlord is a completely different animal than Bard or Battlemaster.

*Depending on how they're built*, yes. The mechanic that everyone's googoogaga about, attack granting, would be of questionable utility in 5e. You can indeed make a warlord that is overwhelmingly about hitting enemies to open them up for other allies to wail on them + healing + buffing in 4e, and have that reflected in 5e.

If the warlord shows up, I give it a 99% likelihood that its gonna work similarly to the warlord NPC.

While paring down options for a late classical kind of feel, I've been wondering, what kind of stats for a falx/rhompoia.

I'm torn between glaive and greatsword for their stat block, more or less.

There's a succession thing. Wizards bought out TSR because they grew up playing D&D and got rich making MtG more than because it made business sense. That's also one reason why they were kept strongly separate even though a lot of MtG planes were very obviously throwbacks to old school AD&D; Innistrad is obviously ravenloft with the dark powers replaced by lovecraftian horrors (you could argue they already are), Kaladesh is Mechanus with a dash of when it was still called Nirvana, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor had bits of the feywild.

So when I was young I loved the fighting fantasy books and the Sorcery! series was my favorite. I never thought about it much but the other day I found out they made digital versions of it and replayed them.

It got me thinking the setting, which is called Titan is pretty cool. I don't know how to really describe it but most common folk have shitty lives, everything wants you dead and there's a lot of evil magic stuff going on. For anyone else familiar with it would you say it's possible to get the feel in a 5e game or will I need to use another system?

I was considering Giant Constrictor Snake for the blindsense and reflavoring Constrict as "Process" (Deals slashing damage instead)

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor's still my favorite setting of all time. Everything about it's just beautiful.

Depends
Do you want him to be paranoid and nervous or annoyed and frustrated?

>I don't know how to really describe it but most common folk have shitty lives, everything wants you dead and there's a lot of evil magic stuff going on. For anyone else familiar with it would you say it's possible to get the feel in a 5e game

Sounds like most D&D settings.

Speaking of, what saves would warlord have?

What exactly would prevent you from doing that in D&D?

I should hope Str and Int, especially since tactlord is what most people are crazy about, but 5e isn't really a game about flexible secondary stats much.

Cha, Int

So, for an artificer's companion at 6th level, what's best?

>Allosaurus
20ft. faster than the others, with a pounce for knocking prone and two attacks. Lowest DC for knocking prone, most AC.
>Polar Bear
Has a swim speed and is the only camdodate that has a multi-attack that doesn't require moving at least 20 feet straight forward. Lowest hit points.
>Rhinoceros
Capable of charging with highest DC for knocking targets prone. Lowest AC.
>Saber-Toothed Tiger
Has a pounce that allows it to knock a target prone. Highest hit points, good stealth potential.

These are the only CR2 Large Beasts I can find.

Well that's my main issue- on one hand I'd like to keep their shop available, but on another if they can just head home whenever they want there's not a lot of a reason for them to go off into the wilds adventuring when they have a business to run.

I'm saving personality traits for after their background is done, at the moment I havent even decided on a race. Gnome for riding his giant around woulf be cliche but fun.

5e book of weeabo fightan magic when?

I was considering Giant Constrictor Snake- 30 speed/swim and 10 foot blindsense with decent HP. Mediocre AC but gets a grapple attack.