One more month. Did anybody else back this beauty?

One more month. Did anybody else back this beauty?

I'll wait for the playtest reports. The minis look nice, but I lost all faith in the mechanics once they revealed they were dicebased. Why the fuck would you include RNG in a game entirely based around decision making and risk vs reward? It's so fucking lazy it just makes me angry.

But user without RNG games can just be solved, randomness inserts fun unpredictability.

Maybe so, but falling back on a dice based dungeon crawler is still an incredibly lazy way of designing a Dark Souls game.

It's ignoring the themes of the game, what about the mechanics really appeals to them and instead making the simplest, most basic interpretation of it they possibly can as a way of selling miniatures.

I'm not saying no RPG at all, but just making it dice based is... Eurgh. It's fucking frustrating.

>beauty
Hah

The minis look not good and the game itself is average at best.

Waste of money.

Everything I've read about the playtesting seems pretty positive

>dark souls

I get enough of that shit just browsing here with all the /v/ kiddies, why would I go out of my way to contract that cancer?

That's because at this moment it's PR since the game isn't out you fucking goon.

Well how do you know it's average if that's the case

I don't back kickstarters because I'm not a blithering idiot.

Dismissing Kickstarter entirely is just as stupid as always trusting it.

It's a service and a funding platform like any other. If you are a cautious, clever consumer it can be a way of getting very good games early for a lower price, and sometimes with exclusive content that other people don't get (even if I personally think the idea of kickstarter exclusive mechanical content is garbage.)

I lost some money before I learnt how to discern between projects worth backing and ones that weren't, but by this point I've more than made up for it in relative discounts on games I ended up having a huge amount of fun with.

Treating Kickstarter with a healthy air of cynicism is always a good idea, but if you neglect it entirely you might end up missing out on something you'd really enjoy.

Although in the case of OP it was yet another miniatures driven 'game' with mediocre and uninspired mechanics, so basically only worth buying if you were interested in overpriced minis.

>Why the fuck would you include RNG in a game entirely based around decision making and risk vs reward?
that's litterally the description of a well done dice based game though, dice don't take away from decision making and there is no risk reward without a random factor(be it true randomness or read based like rock paper scissors), unless you make the game super complex like chess where you can bet on your opponent fucking up slightly, but you can't ask that out of a board game.

but how do you discern between trustworthy and not trustworthy beyond the background ?

Why the bloody fuck does a black knight have a mace and a round shield? I think that may just be someone wearing the helm, but if that is a black knight then why?

Well, I should say that the only things I back these days are board games and RPGs. Video game kickstarters where you're funding development time that after a few early attempts I've given up on them.

Generally, I will only ever fund a kickstarter when there is an already existing product and all I am funding is production. If they have a full rulebook, examples of components, a well put together presentation and all of it makes sense given how much the game costs and what they're pricing it at.

They don't need to have absolutely everything on display, if they get a stretch goal for an expansion or what have you and say 'we'll work on this while the core set is being produced', it's not a good sign but it's not an instant black mark either.

Still, it's also a good idea to look up the company's reputation, as well as the reputation of every individual named as involved just in case.

tl;dr funding the production of an already existing product is usually safe, funding development of something not yet finished is significantly more risky and generally less worth it.

>Kickstarting a board game

How fucking stupid do you have to be to pay for a game you haven't even played?

Retards like you are why shit games like Mistfall exist.

Print and plays. Most trustworthy campaigns will offer them these days, so even if you can't try it yourself you can generally find good third party accounts of how it plays in practice.

Because if something is good it doesn't need endless PR hype from people who played an alpha build.

You retard.

The existence of Kingdom Death proves you wrong.

You seem really upset about board games.

Not wrong, but also not entirely right. Plenty of people have kickstarted games that ended up being shitty, but plenty have also ended up being good. It's a risk, but a calculated one.

You just have to make sure you are giving your money to a company with a good background. Steamforged has a good track record in my eyes

Nah, I have a bunch. Including Kingdom Death.
You just seem like a goofy idiot who takes a sales pitch at face value.

Indeed i have, looking forward to all dat painting. got the artorious / sif expansion as well as the vordt and gaping dragon.

aaaand waiting for kingdom death as well.

Damn, I feel the need to pick up at least 1 boss expansion. I'm leaning towards Kalameet or 4 Kings.

the best case scenario, i get a game i really like, the worst case scenario i get a bunch of well made and themed miniatures for future things. not bad for $100.

>board game to replicate a video game
>it's basically a pure combat simulator that will have heavy optimization and metagaming

seriously, no, rofl.

There's a reason Dark Souls is a videogame.

Don't fund videogames, comics, movies or "causes".
So far KS books and board games have ranged from "pretty good" to "at least they delivered the promised product".

SJWs on the development team is also a massive red flag, most of the failed KS can track their failure back to a scamming cunt or an autistic screeching SJW.

He's upset he had to pay so much for KDM he couldn't afford any of the other, better games that were on KS at roughly the same time.

But user, I also got High Frontier and Trudvang?
Also every single KDM expansion. Because I have a job and I'm not a pathetic poorfag who can only buy one game a year.

I just don't buy dogshit.

Why so salty.

I reaaaaaaally wanted to but sadly no. However, looking forward to it regardless.

It's like I really am on /v/

As for video games I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity and the Shadowrun games enough. I'm sure there's a shit ton of shady kickstarters, but I think there's more to being careful than just dismissing certain types of products

>seething
Do you get btfo'd there on the regular too or something?

I bought it entirely for the minis. If the game is actually any good that's great, but I'm not really all that invested in that part

The mini is called "Invader", so I presume it is indeed not a Black Knight, but an invading "human player".

I don't see a GiantDad.

>The most cookiecutter build in the game.
Yawn.

But rng is the laziest way to implement that.

Thank you very much for that.

Did they announce any future expansions?
>with all the /v/ kiddies,
Look who is talking.
>why would I go out of my way to contract that cancer?
top kek

It's kind of surprising that they didn't add any firekeeper model.

Yeah, pretty hype for it, even if the game isn't great, I have a tonne of models to paint and use for other stuff.

Based on some recent posts KS backers should start seeing orders shipped and delivered within the next 2 weeks.

I backed day 1 and am looking forward to it. Now that its so close im getting really excited.

>Complains about RNG
>'Muh risk vs reward'

Dude nice

Honestly, I'll buy it even if it's trash just because I find myself indebted to the franchise for the 2000+ hours of entertainment I've gotten out of the games.

Frankly, I ripped them off in that regard.

Is that so? Awesome.

It started falling apart when they hired ex privateer press chaps to work on it. Had i known they would have just made a disingenuous IP shell for a mediocre/middling game, I'd have passed.

Meh, will just sell and let the intellectual property goggles allow me to recoup the cost

I'll be buying it JUST to paint the models and put them in a display case. Especially for fatty and beanpole, here.

I hope they do not fuck up plume

>with rng a game can't be solved
Not true. It can still be solved, just after said solving, the game doesn't have a definite ending but instead an arbitrary one.

Those are apparently renders of the actual models they made. There's a picture of a ton of Biggie and Smalls sets in the factory somewhere.

Backed for the models. Game itself looks decent too.

Picture in question.

How do you go from this...

to this?

I don't even have anyone to play with. bought it just for the minis

will probably spraypaint some of them and display.

>Those are apparently renders of the actual models they made.
It was a joke user

One is easy to produce and maintain, the other is not

I think it's weird that they're mixing enemies from all of the games, instead of sticking with one game.

Well, that's a stance.

Well in the last game world really fucked with all these time-lines so it's okay I guess.

He might have been one of the stretch goals. I seem to recall a lot of them were humans/invaders in regular armour sets (like the mace/shield guy in black knight set already mentioned) and Giantdad was requested a fair amount.

Same. Game sounds neat enough, but I'm primarily in it for getting some nice models to paint up.

Oh god what the fuck. Dancer was one of the models I was most looking forward to after O&S due to how creepy and lithe her pose makes her.

It went on Kickstarter just before DS3 came out as I recall, so was banking on a lot of that hype, but I think they realised people would flip a shit if they couldn't get Ornstein and Smough out of it, so just threw in bits from everywhere (which, to be fair, the games kind of do given the amount of weird time fuckery).

Eh, all 3 games have fans who prefer that one, all 3 have interesting and fun enemy/boss designs and they kind of had to at least have stuff from both 1 and 3 in it, for nostalgia and marketing points respectively.

All games have interesting bosses, but Orni and Smough (I wonder did they specially name him like Smaug) were kind of symbol of the whole series

They had all thier ducks in a row. Last year they mentioned it would be shipped a month ahead of scheduale. More recent posts have mentioned that the germany office has thier materials as of last week and its begun being put together. I am unsure if Americas has arrived yet but it is going to be behind sadly (and a fork lift accident damaged some of the cards).

>A game about co-operation where one person will tell everyone what to do anyway

> A game designed for virgin autists to throw money at for models they have no friends to play with

>A game only good for single-player, migh tas well play a video game

Sure proved me wrong kiddo, also that was reprint apparently not a new game so sucks to be yah.

Is there an Artorius mini? I'm going to have to hunt down some of these individually.

More mile DUMB souls amirite

my friend would flip out over that ornstein and smoug mini though.

>Is there an Artorius mini?
Nope

Not at launch. But they have said there will be a darkroot basion expansion with Sif and Artorius down the line.

...Well she's certainly going in some hot water and getting bent when I get hold of it. No way I'm leaving it in that pose.

Oh I hope they get there. Sad fact is even if this game ends up at Games Workshop level prices, it and the expansion will still be cheaper than the only Sif figure on the market right now.

I backed it, but I'll see how much it sells on the aftermarket before deciding to keep it.
Damn shame all the stretch goals won't ship until later this year.

Daddy wants every miniature in Deep Madness in the late pledge and that's about $300.

Dark Souls is great but I backed purely for the minis and I could honestly take em or leave em at this point.

I backed this train wreck. Once it was announced it had a 3 hour playtime per boss, I lost interest instantly. I could maybe get this to the table twice? Gonna look into selling it while it's still sealed if possible. Earn a little bit of money back.

I'm in the almost same boat you're in.
On one hand, I keep it for the dank minis and maybe get to play twice a year.
On the other, I sell it and all add-ons, make my money back and then some, buy shit I want more than Dark souls like the consumerist sheep I am, and then -maybe- buy the core game when it drops down to $50 on amazon or wherever if I see the gameplay is good.

Either way, I'm selling most add-ons.

Here have a (you) kid

> Modern Qin Shi Huang

I haven't played the game at all yet, but skimming through the pdf it does seem to have some souls in it. Positioning relative to the boss, learning their attacks, and managing stamina all play a part in it. Out of curiosity, what would you use over dice?

By cheaping out on production costs. Repeatedly.

Same opinion

> if you neglect it entirely you might end up missing out on something you'd really enjoy.
Not at all. 95% of the time Kickstarter products end up on shelves/online anyway, so there's no reason to risk your money early when you can just have other schmucks to do it for you. By the time it hits shelves, there should already be plenty of information floating around to help determine if it's a worthy buy.

Sure, you might miss out on some exclusive miniatures, or digital skins, or access to a beta, but those things rarely matter anyway, and if you really want to you can often find them on eBay.

This tbqh.

The only thing I can remember feeling bad to have not backed was KingdomDeath back when I first found it and coulda paid $100 bucks. Fast forward to the past two years and I haven't been able to justify money for the stuff cus I just can't afford $200-400 for the game as a student who can barely afford to eat.

Everything good isn't going to stay as just a kickstarter though that is for damn sure.

Kinda looks like hes giving us a thumbs up

This is the only thing I've ever Kickstarted and it was only because it was officially licensed by Bandai Namco themselves. If it fell through, I could see the backlash being big enough to get me a refund or some kind of compensation due to the size of the company

Sounds like you need this picture. Hold onto it

>beauty

>scale is all shonky
>weird choice in bosses and shit
>no Nito
>game will probably not be worthwhile and the minis will be awkward to shoehorn into general RPGs

Eh.

If you regret buying it ultimately, just scalp it on ebay. There are people (like me) who just wan the minis and shit and will be happy to buy it off of you

Eh, depending on the game you can get pretty significant savings on the stuff, but you are of course gambling that you'll enjoy the game. I'm quite happy with the big mini games I've backed.

did you miss the most recent KS?

Yeah I backed it for the models too. From licenses Armored Core out for model kits, I wish they'd do the same with some Dark Souls.

But the element of risk taking is also a factor to describe the fact that everything does not always go as planned. Combine this with basic strategy, such as positioning and target availability, and ad tactical orders/cards and you have yourself a pretty well described combat system that has worked for decades.

But I get it, the idea of making games completely without dice is a very popular opinion right now. Everything should be up to the tactical decisions of the player and so forth. I personally don't mind the dice, its a way to let me, as a player, know that even though how water tight my plan may be, there is always a chance to fuck me over. To much of this however, is just bad rule making. I want to be able to increase my odds by careful planning, and tactical advantages.

Turns out real time mechanics of fine motor skills against an actively reacting AI are hard to implement in a board game. It couldn't be dark souls combat in a board game.

>will be a darkroot basion expansion with Sif and Artorius
Fucking lazy anglo

wow i see more complaints from fuckers about it being kickstarter or it being dark souls.

why the fuck are you even here?

>i just came into this thread to whine because i dont like what you like

>all this shitposting from people on both sides
>not a single person who watched the full game playthrough from SteamCON
I've been following the game since a friend of mine backed it. The game's a piece of shit. I'm sorry but it's true. I actually fell in love with Steamforged's other game, Guild Ball, when checking out Dark Souls at a convention for a friend so I had hope that they would pull through but no, they didn't.

Why do I say this? Because I watched them play the full game playthrough at SteamCON on their twitch broadcast. Which is now gone because it was so awful. The game had almost no strategy at all. It was run forward, roll dice to attack things, roll dice to block damage, do it again. Oh, the rogue failed a dodge roll and died -- now everyone has to go back to the entrance and we try again -- because one death is a loss for the whole party. Oh look it happened again. Oh nice it's the boss now we didn't flub rolls this time, except you have no idea what the boss is going to do next and someone got stepped on and died -- and that's game over, they lost, you can only reset twice.

Matt & Rich hit the spot with Guild Ball, but they shit the bed here. Mechanically this is among one of the worst dungeon crawlers I've ever seen. I would rather play Super Dungeon Explore than this shit -- and that says something.

I will buy it on retail, get Ornstein and Smough minis and burn the rest of that garbage

I'll play it with casual friends. It's got a recognisable brand name and interesting mechanics, so even if it's a shit game, there'll be plenty of top tier bants.

I backed it, looking forward to it, the models look better than I expected. BUT it's going up against Gloomhaven so I'm not sure it's going to be a keeper or get played so I'm gonna have to hope the figures are amazing and I want to paint them or I'll have to sell it on when the stretch goals turn up!