sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Thread question: What's the 'feelsiest' moment you've had in a campaign? How did it come about?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/844726037204238336
dmsguild.com/
youtu.be/FcJSHQMx27w?t=3m26s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rapier + shield + dueling style? Might work but also sound boring... Are there any good feat to add on to that?

Rapier+shield offends me from a flavor perspective

Dart are already ranged weapon.

They don't have ammunition tag though.And if you give ammunition to them, that mean they break when you hit.

Taking bets on how long till we get a pdf of Yawning Portal.

Already have it. Check the mega.

shield is fluff as a buckler or gauntlet. Does that satisfy you?

Is there any reason to play hamon monk if you already have 60 movement to get into melee range with spread-out enemies?

Defensive Duelist for more boring but practical-ness.

>What's the 'feelsiest' moment you've had in a campaign? How did it come about?

When we had accidentally crossed into Athas from the Land of the Mists and some of the refugees we were protecting died when we were assaulted by Lightning Drakes in the night.
We couldn't save them all. Although we fought off the drakes, 18 men and women died that night and my Paladin couldn't do anything about it. Not to mention that since it was Athas, they didn't even get to peacefully pass into the afterlife, their souls were trapped in the Grey.
A person travelling with us offered some special treatment to trap their souls and force them into their bodies as a twisted undead to try and save them later but I couldn't agree with it. It would be agony and torture. I swore I'd find a way to go back for them, but the remaining refugees needed to come first.

Why was I looking under Y.

I am a fool.

How would you guys make a Naked Snake build? Off the top of my head maybe a Rouge 5/ Monk 5 with Alert and/or Mobile? Give me some ideas

id start by not liking faggy trash games

Why is the Durnan in Tales from the Yawning Portal such a cynical selfish dick? Unless he got replaced by a doppelganger and isn't his previous NG self?

Defensive Duelist for sure. Blade Mastery if UA.

Serpico doesn't use shields. Shame there's no feat that can swap out a shield for a dodge. Since all shields provide the same flat +2 AC, maybe you can work something out where your off-hand is so focused on movement, you get +2 AC, but you can't hold anything in it...

Reminder to avoid Dawnforgedcast at all costs. He tried to bully several rpg-oriented youtubers off of YouTube through false accounts, people got suspicious, he got caught and blamed his brother, he got caught again and then tried to wipe traces of what he was doing. He had that awkward interview with Matt Mercer, only with him saying stuff and Matt agreeing because it wasn't actually a live interview but clips of Matt. It was also creepy.
He gets assblasted with Critical Role and Dice, Camera, Action, saying that's not how you should run a game and only he knows how to run a game.

Continue avoiding him if you can help it.

In case you don't want the enemies getting into melee range with you.
And AoE spell-like effects are a neat little bag of tricks for a monk to get.

>One of the most beloved games of all time, from reviewers to /v/ to every corner of the net
>trash
Objectively wrong.

why not martial adept?

if /v/ likes it, chances are its trash

Well, is there any reason not to get in melee if the mobile feat makes you immune to opportunity attacks?

>not liking Big Boss
Is there something wrong with you?
He'd be a Battlemaster Fighter level 20, with proficiency in Stealth and maybe Disguise, he is a soldier, a warrior, and infiltator, not a fucking thief or an eastern Monk.

/v/ hivemind rarely likes anything, their entire purpose is to be contrarian and has been since the board's inception

So I got ToYP on Friday and I've been reading over "the Hidden Shrine" adventure since my party is currently Lv. 5 and hence will be jumping into it very soon. However, I want some opinions on certain things in the adventure. Firstly, their is poisonous gas in the dungeon that deals damage to the party every hour. I was told by a colleague that the poison could prevent long rests if I so chose to rule it as such. The party is moderately sized and well experienced, so I doubt it would be too bad, but would it be fair to stick with that analysis? Secondly, their is a buffed vampire spawn mini-boss in the dungeon that is suppose to start off the fight super weakened. Their is a smite happy paladin in the group and the vampire spawn would definitely die in one turn if the party jumps on him like I know they would. If I were to buff his initial revival and then quicken his return to full power, would that be too much or would it be acceptable since I know they could take it on with ease still?

Please explain in greater detail, user. Never heard of the Dawnforgedcast.

Chris calls Tiamat out as a deity here
mobile.twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/844726037204238336 and says the write-up in RoT are her true stats.
Disappointing in a way, but perhaps we may be get deity stats in the future.

Guys.... can we not?

user with the autist Warlock party member here.

So lemme tell you a bit from the last session. My DM likes to get the Warlock to take Strength checks, mostly because he has 6 STR. I'm not sure how he accomplished that when we all agreed on standard array, but whatever.

So he gets into a few issues. Tries to push the Ranger, fails. Tries to climb down 10 feet, lands on his ass. Tries to jump over a puddle, falls straight in it. Everyone's joking around, its fun to laugh at things like this. We're just having a good time.

Eventually he has to throw a whole bundle of rope to a fire. As we're getting ready for another failure, I quickly interject and say something like "That's gonna be based on your negative two Strength you know!"

His response? "I know that, I'm not fucking stupid."

I look at my DM, he looks back at me, we give each other the same "When did we become babysitters" look.

I wonder how long it will take until I snap!

He'd have at least one or two levels of monk though, because Basics of CQC

That'd work. I feel like a saber would fit you thematically better though

My reasoning for Rouge was because Jack's great at everything, ESPECIALLY stealth. And for Monk, well because he remembers the basics of CQC. This is for like a 9-11 level PC

What's the problem? You're not one of those "Nuclear Druids are valid" subhumans, are you?

Can I make a Warlock (tome) who primarily uses Shillelagh (club) with GFB/Boom Blade and be at least semi-viable?

EB spam simply doesn't fit the character theme very well (grizzled Private Detective type)

I think tavern brawler would be enough for that.

>Jack's great at everything

He has zero charisma.

... what?

That would probably be kinda workable, at least at low levels. I feel like it would lose its viability around the time that martials and bladelocks are getting their second attack.

I remember there was some sort of marketplace where people could sell 5e homebrews. Did that site exist, or am I just a reatard?

It's strange, because it kind of loops back into being good.

Sure, most people hate him, but there's a good enough selection of people who love him to death. Ocelot almost plunged the world into anarchy forever because of his Big Boss man-crush.

Sounds hilariously ineffective, I would definitely go for it. I love how every single thread is filled with warlock players doing incredibly, aggressive stupid shit like that and letting their whole party down.

Which is why I have an 8 in CHA with no proficienies in related skills

No, a fighter would know how to fight without his weapons, CQC isn't all that flashy or monkish it's just some basic I lost my weapon shit that really any D&D fighter would know.
No, he's an infiltrator, not a jack of all trades, and the second greatest soldier ever to live after Solid, who by virtue of beating both Big Boss's and living out his life to a natural death, is the greatest soldier of all time, Big Boss would be a Fighter period, plain and simple.

dmsguild.com/

Don't sell stuff you'd want to sell in larger products or that contain your homebrew lore/rules. Basically only sell stuff you wouldn't sell elsewhere and/or use WotC IPs that you wouldn't be able to use elsewhere.

Anyone want to help me come up with a backstory (and way of playing) an orc rogue who's not sneaky, but thinks he is?

Someone suggested a grandma-type background that I liked.

I am playing a 13th level Loremaster Wizard right now and am soon going to hit 14th level. What are some cool spells to grab with Master of Magic? A clutch Divine Word, Revivify, or Regenerate would be dandy, but I am at a loss for what other fun spells I could play with.

1d8+Cha that increases by 1d8 at 5, 11 and 17 with another effect. Sounds not great, still workable.

I feel like going Bladelock would be better. if you can use the Hexblade option much better.

Thanks user, this is exactly what I was looking for.

What? How the fuck did you come up with that? What the fuck kind of reasoning is that?

Remember, in the grand scheme of things "nobody saw me" is pretty much the same as "no currently living person saw me."

Sure, but if you want EB to be more in character, you could fluff it into his arcane foci being a lighter or something that could fit into the detective scene. Or go full Harry Dresden and carry a magic club.

I think I wouldn't rate him as being Charismatic during his days as Naked snake, but he becomes increasingly more so after he assumes the title of Big Boss. I mean a major plot point in the later games is that hisssss dominant genes were the ones that let him be a charismatic super leader.

Any fighter might, but he gets more CQC with monk. Use a shortsword, get extra Big Bawss CQC every round instead of dinky little dmg 1 punches. Go monk 3 to get the knockdown strikes of open hand maybe.

I love it. I also had the idea that any person he comes across, he threatens to not say a word.

How does /5eg/ feel about retconning stats based on how a PC is being RPed?

We're a month into a new campaign. One player made an American-Southern aristocrat type character and took charisma as his dump stat, the logic being the character would be super haughty and aloof in social interactions. Over the past month the character has evolved into more of a devilishly charming smooth-talking snake-oil salesman type of guy. I've talked with the player and we both agree his PC having 9 CHA is not reflective of how the PC is being RPed.

This is my first time DMing and I don't know whether I should tell him to rearrange his stats to better reflect his RPing or to RP differently or just to ignore it or what. Someone help.

Cuz most of the time people insinuate Tiamat is somehow weak (despite that she'd eat any signature FR character or party for lunch, esp if airborne at night) they mean "because Nuclear Druid lmao"

>CQC isn't all that flashy
>Implying a common soilder knows the basics of CQC
youtu.be/FcJSHQMx27w?t=3m26s

"Thrag think you have nice bone structure. Thrag think it would be a shame if Thrag have to ruin such pretty bone structure. With a club."

If someone played a low strength, athletics expertise, str advantage grappler who puts dragons in choke holds, would you say "you are not roleplaying your character like your strength would indicate!"?

Nice. Sounds like damn good role-playing.

Good, it's good that you haven't. He's a piece of shit who wanted all of the Youtube RPG viewership pie to himself. As someone else said he's creepy-wholesome and comes off condescending rather than actually passionate about whatever he's trying to educate about or discuss.
He isn't any good at what he does so to monopolize he stooped to bullying other RPG youtubers through fake accounts. He got caught out on this.

I would say give them a stat boost of 1 for now, so that it's at least not giving any negative stats. But offer up the reshuffling as well.

That shouldn't be the case, to use still being tested UA rules to say something is weak is fucking retarded and devoid of any actual argument or thought.
I am disappointed in that her stats feel a bit barebones, but this seems true for most named NPCs, ie certain abilities lack flavor or uniqueness.

What's his class? Let him swap another dump stat like INT into it.

I could see one level of monk, maybe, as he was a master of CQC and in actuality it's co-creator, he surpassed The Boss, who was also a co-creator of CQC, but I stand by Battlemaster Fighter through and through, because if you played it right, Big Boss never used CQC and was never seen by common soldiers.
American soldiers were all taught it by Naked Snake and The Boss, and those they taught the Russians didn't consider it worth it, and most likely kept on with Sambo.

Maybe thats because "spamming EB every round in combat forever" doesn't fit the theme of every character who made a bargain for power? It wouldn't be an issue if Bladelock wasn't a fucking joke.
>hurr I can hit things with a glaive
>or I can use Force glaives from 300 feet away with more attacks and without wasting invocation slots

I considered that, and I'll likely take EB and Agonizing Blast just because not taking them is just stupid. I suppose I'll just have to rework the character theme a bit for casting.

I'm thinking about that Dark Brotherhood Orc from Oblivion, but he knew he wasn't sneaky. I'm also thinking of a Mr. Magoo type character.

Maybe there was once a gang on thieves that tried to rob a orc tribe of their relics. They were caught, and put on trial. An agreement was made, where they were allowed to be free, but only if they took the chieftain's son with them who always wanted to be a rogue. They were also cursed - any harm inflicted on the orc would be copied on to each of them. Even worse is that the orc was given an wand that could inject a slow, deadly poison into the thieves at will (Basically, they were given tracking collars).

So they have to go sneaking around with him. Heists would involve the group running ahead to diminish threats as the hulking orc stomped through, always thinking he was sneaky and never knowing the truth.

Eventually his ego surpassed his companions, and decided to part ways.

How would the ability to cast spells affect a monsters CR?

Why is this spell so SHIT?
Does it even do anything? FUCK

>Maybe thats because "spamming EB every round in combat forever" doesn't fit the theme of every character who made a bargain for power?

How about the fucking cleric then? derp

I agree battlemaster is the way to go (along with one level of rogue for expertise in stealth), I just think he'd have one level of monk as well.

Clerics are explicitly different from warlocks. Im pretty sure it even says so in the PHB that gods are not patrons.

Depends on the spell. Many spells don't affect it at all.

No rogue levels, he could get stealth proficiency from his Spec Ops./Child Soldier background, perhaps with a homebrewed feat rather than monk levels to account for CQC shenanigans.

Well this isn't a mechanics-based issue so it's different than your example

He's a multiclass fighter/wizard. The only other stat he doesn't use is WIS but that's also pretty low. I guess I'll make him take a hit to one of his combat stats and swap that with CHA. Seems like the only fair solution to other players.

Well hold on a second. I think you can do a grizzled PI with spellcasting.

How about a focus being a crossbow? You can probably convince your DM to let you have a crossbow that you use to "cast" your spells, instead of just crazy magic styling. Keep the grizzled PI without being insanely occult. And if you're going for melee, Hexblade could be a good pact.

>Clerics are explicitly different from warlocks.

Only in a vague flavor sense, and of course mechanical.

> Im pretty sure it even says so in the PHB that gods are not patrons.

The fact that many PHB warlock patrons are deities disproves your theory, and in Volo's, again, it has a number of deities also sponsoring warlocks.

I mean, when we're talking about 5-6 spell levels worth of spells, it's going to be hard to determine each individual spell's effect on CR. Is there a general rule of thumb I could use?

Wait the spell list in the mega is missing a lot of text for this spell. It all makes sense now.

Yeah theyll still be a detective dude just with a bit more magic to them.
I'll probably just make EB into eye lasers or something since they've got a magic eyeballs theme.

notice how 90% of the people that say warlock isnt a bad class either talk about dipping 2 levels in it or that using the same cantrip as your most effectively way to do anything in combat from level 1-20 is good design

the class is almost as bad as the PHB ranger and needs to be built from the ground up again, it was a failure and WOTC needs to admit it and rework it

If there are buffs, calculate the monster's CR with the buffs applied

if there is damage, use that, etc.

If you're thinking something like "each x of spellcasting adds y to CR" then the obvious answer is hell no.

The precedence of hags, however, is that adding 12 caster levels adds +2 to CR.

Worst subclasses for each class so far? UA included

>Kraken wrecking shit all over the sea
>Cast spell on an island
>2 days pass, Kraken appears

Or you can use it on a boat to make sure it DOESN'T appear.

Cast it on an airship in elemental chaos to ignore warring quasits

It might also just be considered fluff, a game mechanic basically. I can imagine Wizards and Druids that are tasked in magical defenses of their land using this spell to ward off invaders. Its not concentration, so it can be stacked... If you can recover that spell slot.

Shillelagh should work for any one handed melee weapon without thrown, reach, or heavy (or just make those properties not work with it)

Itd make no difference mechanically (well apart from maybe being piercing/slashing) but let people have more variety.

>Level 20
No he isn't

Cantrips scaling with character level instead of class level was a mistake.

>Stone of Luck

Christ that is savage

There will be some booty blasted players who complain about failing when others succeed on same or lower score

Not at all, 3e's unscaling spells are a mistake.

PHB only

>Barbarian
Path of The Berserker

>Bard
College of Valor

>Cleric
War Domain

>Druid
Circle of The Land

>Fighter
Eldritch Knight

>Monk
Way of The Four Elements

>Paladin
Oath of The Ancients

>Ranger
Beast Master

>Rogue
Thief

>Sorcerer
Wild Magic

>Warlock
Fiend

>Wizard
Evocation

Some of these are really close to the point of it not mattering much (Oath of The Ancients isn't really much weaker than the other two options for example) but these are still generally true.

Is there even a single person in this fucking place that doesn't play a caster?

Here are the longest 5 names from the last run of my name generator:

Alerraxwenshonniquelsonshoe
Amariamonnionackylakaimitch
Remphriquiellexishonaleston
Maresuelsondrishaullillerton
Lukerlandrickobelazequellannord

Here are the shortest 5:

Bo
Ty
Aad
Aar
Ace

They're both bad.

The only casters I play are bladelock and half-casters like paladin or the homebrew avenger

>Oath of the Ancients
>bad

Are you a fucking retard?

Are you me?

Barbarians are fun as fuck m8, I'm having a ball.

>berserker
>land circle
>war cleric
>fiend
>evocation
>wild magic

Someone doesn't like doing damage.

Anyone else think the beholder anti magic cone is too large?

150ft. Cone blankets the whole party so the beholder cant use his own dang eyerays

Well I guess, technically you'd be right, in his own universe, he would be equivalent to a level 10 Fighter at most, but the original poster said othing about apeing Big Boss directly, in his own universe. He just asked how one would build Big Boss in 5e D&D, and I would do it with Battlemaster Fighter.

>Some of these are really close to the point of it not mattering much (Oath of The Ancients isn't really much weaker than the other two options for example) but these are still generally true.

Psionic aint a caster, right?